PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted...

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-31-2017, 05:06 PM
Despite my advanced age and supposed maturity, I get so caught up in these games Im not sure it is healthy.
Debating with myself if I should just watch the game, let those emotions rage and suffer the physical and emotional consequences. Or DVR it, do something else during the game and decide to watch it after the final outcome. Thoughts? Go Zags thanks for all the years not just this year or the last 20.

Reborn
03-31-2017, 05:23 PM
If you are worried about your life or health than DVR it and watch it later. Your life is more important I think.
Don't watch the game alone if you do watch it. Hopefully family or friends will watch it with you.
You can start watching it and if you begin to rage than you can turn it off.

Thanks for sharing. I hope you find your answer here.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
03-31-2017, 05:53 PM
My dad has a friend who's a doc. Friend went to Ohio State for undergrad, med school, did his residency at Ohio State and his first job was at student health at OSU.

He's got season tix but can't watch the games, at all, not go to the games, not on TV, not even taped. He gets "too emotionally involved."

I always thought that was funny. Until last weekend. Dunno. I can see your point. I say, be very happy with where we are, saver the moment, and think that we're way past the point where we could have "lost" anything.

bartruff1
03-31-2017, 08:12 PM
I know a lot of dead people that would give anything to see this game live....you don't want to be one of them do you ??

ProVeeZag
03-31-2017, 08:13 PM
I have watched games with certain people who get so angry and out of control that it ruins it for me. I'm talking about "screaming at the TV"-type mad. I don't need that and do my best to avoid those people. Even after epic losses, the sun rises the next morning. "Know thyself" and do your own due diligence. We want you back!

hondo
03-31-2017, 08:49 PM
I have known people who have actually died from heart attacks while watching GU basketball games.

Markburn1
03-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Sitting in San Jose last week an hour before the game. Checked my fitbit. Heart rate was at 100!!!! My normal resting heart rate is mid fifties. Haha.

Anywhoo, lots of us become emotionally involved, but it isn't worth your health. I'm in pretty good shape so it wasn't a worry. Everybody has different concerns. Reborn has it right. Be aware of and monitor your health. If it gets to be too much, turn it off and get back to it later. Can't wait for tomorrow.

jim77
03-31-2017, 08:56 PM
NEGATIVE...watch the game. I'd like to see the Zags win obviously BUT, they have had a TERRIFIC season capped by a final 4 appearance...its all GRAVY now. Then again maybe we should just shut the "You've never won an NC" guys up too. Enjoy the game...its a win-win:)

gonzagafan62
03-31-2017, 09:11 PM
I have known people who have actually died from heart attacks while watching GU basketball games.

If that ever happens to me, at least everyone will know that I died doing what I love most. RIP to your friends. They are here with us in spirit.

Go zags!

maynard g krebs
03-31-2017, 09:19 PM
A couple of years ago, they held the national age group basketball championships in Eugene while I was there visiting. The Register-Guard printed a story about a 75 year old guy playing in the 75-79 bracket who hit a 3 pointer and had a heart attack and died 30 seconds later.

I thought, cool. That's how I'd like to go out.

Or as the Hell's Angels used to say, "live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse".

Taking up mindfulness meditation might help with the underlying issue, though. Seriously. It's for everyone these days. Even Dr Oz recommends it, and he's a Republican.

Zags11
03-31-2017, 09:56 PM
That's how I'm gonna go out when I'm old.

krozman
03-31-2017, 10:09 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your death is inevitable and guaranteed. Final Fours are not. Watch the flippin game and enjoy it sir. Don't let anyone tell you that the small things in life aren't what make it enjoyable.

upan8th
03-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Gotta second MGK's advice about meditation. Alas, as a learned technique, it's too late to benefit from it before Saturday's tip-off. But, no, JAOZ, regardless, it's imperative that you witness GU's first-ever final four appearance LIVE. This is history. Not quite the signing of the Declaration of Independence (perhaps) but a chance to witness a singular, uniquely American, historical event, like Jim Thorpe's Carlisle Indian School vanquishing the Ivy League, like Milan HS in HOOSIERS winning one for the little guys everywhere. Lock yourself in a room, preferably with an abundance of pillows. Avoid strong drink (until after we win) and if we don't, take comfort in the thought that in '17-'18 the team will be, in many experts' opinions, favored to win it all. Gonzaga has entered a new realm.The past is no longer prologue. Win or lose tomorrow, or even Monday, it's a great time to be a ZAG fan. Watch the game live. Relish it.

Zaga
04-01-2017, 06:04 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your death is inevitable and guaranteed. Final Fours are not. Watch the flippin game and enjoy it sir. Don't let anyone tell you that the small things in life aren't what make it enjoyable.

I have to agree here....Enjoy the game...... Go Zags

MTZag03
04-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Did anyone see the Ted talk on stress and heart attacks? Apparently there was a large study done that tracked stress levels and cardiac events. They find that those who believed that stress was bad for their health and had high a lot of stressors did in fact have more deaths. But it also found that those who didn't believe stress was bad for their health and also had a lot of stressors died much less frequently. It was interesting. Maybe MDAbe can comment on whether there's validity to that. I like the thought of it though. It's our stress beliefs that's the problem and not the actual physiological stress. So maybe there's something in there for you. I'd just watch the game.

Ezag
04-01-2017, 06:45 AM
Enjoy the game Live. Win or lose, the Zags have already won "so to speak'! :)