PDA

View Full Version : AMMO in the Players Tribune

zagsfanforlife
03-31-2017, 07:45 AM
Great article written by Morrison in the Players Tribune. Must read. My favorite player of all time. Can't wait to see you in Phoenix Mo. Well done.

‪ https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-morrison-gonzaga-basketball-final-four/‬

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-31-2017, 08:09 AM
Wow!! Possibly the coolest hoops article I've ever read:

http:// https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-morrison-gonzaga-basketball-final-four/ (http://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-morrison-gonzaga-basketball-final-four/)

zagsfanforlife
03-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Wow!! Possibly the coolest hoops article I've ever read:

http:// https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-morrison-gonzaga-basketball-final-four/ (http://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-morrison-gonzaga-basketball-final-four/)

Wasn't it great?? Thanks for posting the right link. On the road to Phoenix so my copy and paste skills aren't great

Sarenyon
03-31-2017, 08:15 AM
Such a great article! Love AMMO! Just got tears in the eyes reading it - damn onions.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Wasn't it great?? Thanks for posting the right link. On the road to Phoenix so my copy and paste skills aren't great

Fantastic! Thanks for posting. I linked it on the Final Four media thread too.

Enjoy the road trip. With you in spirit!!

All Weather Fan
03-31-2017, 08:24 AM
Must read for all who thought they knew Ammo. If you can read this without tearing up a bit, you may not really be a Zag fan after all !

former1dog
03-31-2017, 08:27 AM
That article made me smile. It also reminded me that Adam has a little Eastern Montana in him still. :)

Birddog
03-31-2017, 08:31 AM
Wow, terrific insight into Ammo and the program. This needs to be in the HOF with Nigels piece. Thank you Adam for then and the now.

Zagarooskis
03-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Great article written by Morrison in the Players Tribune. Must read. My favorite player of all time. Can't wait to see you in Phoenix Mo. Well done.

‪ https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-morrison-gonzaga-basketball-final-four/‬

Awesome read! Morrison was was and still is my favorite Zag of all time. I always wore tube socks during basketball games because of him. Such a shame that he had to deal with diabetes, but what a great career he had as a Zag!

zagsfanforlife
03-31-2017, 08:44 AM
I wore #3 in high school because of Morrison. As a youngster my parents followed the GU bus to the visiting teams hotel after they played LMU. Met Morrison, took pictures and got everything from a zags shooting shirt, to sports illustrated to a picture of me and him from the previous year signed. All my friends were getting morrisons auto for me. I pretty much have a shrine of the guy in my place.

Zagricultural
03-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Definitely the coolest thing I've read all week, and I've read every link on this forum :)

gozagswoohoo
03-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Oh man....that was so good.

CdAZagFan
03-31-2017, 09:02 AM
That is an incredible article... That one, and the one they had from Nigel are probably my two favorites articles of the entire season.

Zags11
03-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Great read! I usually saw Adam at quest.

HRZag
03-31-2017, 09:28 AM
Wow. That just might be the greatest distillation of what it means to be a Zag I have ever read. We are so, so, so lucky to have people like Adam and Fewie as part of this journey. Thank you Adam, that is Hall of Fame material. Go Zags!

RenoZag
03-31-2017, 09:32 AM
Wow, terrific insight into Ammo and the program. This needs to be in the HOF with Nigels piece. Thank you Adam for then and the now.

Agreed. After the season, there will be some "housekeeping" to do. . .so many threads, so little time. The cool thing about the GUB is we can go back and re-read the threads and linked articles (nearly) any time we want.
Especially during banner years. . .

Zags_Fanatic
03-31-2017, 09:40 AM
I vote for keeping this out of the FF Media thread, it needs to be read by everyone. Stunningly great work by Ammo.

Zagger
03-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Wow! Adam was the one who made me dive into the deep end in being a Zags fan. That was great. Very heart-felt! The kids at Mead are fortunate! Go Panthers! Go Zags!

The headline photo from the story .....

https://media.theplayerstribune.com/uploads/AP_060306014964-copy-1440x688.jpg

webspinnre
03-31-2017, 10:04 AM
This is one of my favorite things about GU basketball:

One of the things I really love about this program is that no matter where our alums are playing around the world, they all carve out some time during the summer to come back to school to train and coach up the guys on the team. I think it’s because deep down, we all feel a certain responsibility to pay it forward. There are many places that preach about their family atmosphere, but I don’t really know how else to describe what we have in Spokane.

I know about 25 former Bulldogs who returned to the area to raise their families after they retired from the game. We all remain close. I coach my oldest daughter’s AAU squad and just on that team alone we have two girls who are daughters of former Gonzaga players.

Birddog
03-31-2017, 10:06 AM
The 3rd paragraph is totally priceless!!!

hockeyzag
03-31-2017, 10:12 AM
I love The Players' Tribune. Truly a Hall of Fame article from our boy Ammo. His junior year at GU was my senior year, I'll never forget how special that year was as a student and fan. Thanks Ammo.

maynard g krebs
03-31-2017, 10:12 AM
I don't tear up that often, but that did it. Thanks for posting.

JLGutrocks
03-31-2017, 10:22 AM
Awesome article. Love the tribute to Fitz et al.

TheZagPhish
03-31-2017, 10:34 AM
Awesome article. Love the tribute to Fitz et al.

Nice seeing you, JLG!

JLGutrocks
03-31-2017, 10:40 AM
You too. been around. just quieter

billyberu
03-31-2017, 10:44 AM
My first memory of Gonzaga was when John Rillie played. He reminded me of the lead singer for Midnight Oil, but man, could that guy shoot the rock.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

DixieZag
03-31-2017, 11:23 AM
My first memory of Gonzaga was when John Rillie played. He reminded me of the lead singer for Midnight Oil, but man, could that guy shoot the rock.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was at that game at the Univ of Utah, first NCAA tourney ever. And he'd been hot ever since WCC tourney. He continued shooting well even in that game against Maryland (player "X-Ray Hip" greatest bb name ever), and after he sank 2 or 3 deep 3s, the guys next to us said, "Any reason at all the bald guy shouldn't shoot every shot for this team? And the row shook their head.

Good memory, great article.

LoveMyZags
03-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Interesting take, my friend read this article as "me, me, me" and Morrison only wanting the spotlight. He isn't my favorite for reasons I won't go into, but this article changed my mind a bit about him. Not sure how to rebut to my friend who sees this as selfish and self centered.

All 3 articles I read on Players trib by a Zag (NWG, this one and one Ronny did a few years ago) have been awesome. Can we petition for more Zags from any sport to do these? I would and could read these all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rennis
03-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Awesome piece. Ammo is both the undeniable superstar and black sheep of this program all at the same time. It's gotta be a weird position to be in. Great tribute to the coaches and players and Gonzaga overall.

Zaga
03-31-2017, 11:57 AM
Loved the quote "this team is pure distilled Zaga!

MJ777
03-31-2017, 12:58 PM
I can't wait to see is daughter play at GU. Great story.

zagsfanforlife
03-31-2017, 01:04 PM
I can't wait to see is daughter play at GU. Great story.

And his son!

North Idaho Zag
03-31-2017, 01:14 PM
I was waiting for ice cream at Kraziness this year right next to Mo and one of his daughters. I am not one to make a big deal out of a "celebrity" encounter and simply smiled when he glanced towards me. He seemed to be truly happy to be able to just be a fan sharing a special moment with his daughter and I'm glad nobody else came along in a manner to ruin that moment. It's great to see so many players come back and make their home and raise their family's here.

zagsfanforlife
03-31-2017, 01:16 PM
I was waiting for ice cream at Kraziness this year right next to Mo and one of his daughters. I am not one to make a big deal out of a "celebrity" encounter and simply smiled when he glanced towards me. He seemed to be truly happy to be able to just be a fan sharing a special moment with his daughter and I'm glad nobody else came along in a manner to ruin that moment. It's great to see so many players come back and make their home and raise their family's here.

I just chatted with Pargo!!

hooter73
03-31-2017, 01:27 PM
Good one by ronny in there too I saw

GrizZAG
03-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Interesting take, my friend read this article as "me, me, me" and Morrison only wanting the spotlight. He isn't my favorite for reasons I won't go into, but this article changed my mind a bit about him. Not sure how to rebut to my friend who sees this as selfish and self centered.

All 3 articles I read on Players trib by a Zag (NWG, this one and one Ronny did a few years ago) have been awesome. Can we petition for more Zags from any sport to do these? I would and could read these all day

Your friend was looking for that but he needs new glasses. Excellent embodiment of the program, the people and really not about Adam but his ride that took us to another level he just felt a part of and he was. He is a grown man and father and it shows. Thank you Adam, you were the most pure potent Zag to wear a uniform IMO. You would have flourished a long time in NBA with the right coach and circumstances.

maynard g krebs
03-31-2017, 01:42 PM

Sounds like one of those imaginary friends imo. Might as well own what you're saying. Really unnecessary post. Based on location, guessing you're a Dons fan trolling?

jim77
03-31-2017, 02:29 PM
The best pure scorer GU has ever had. Adam was the main scoring threat and every team knew it....and they still could do nothing about it. The 3 OT game in Maui against MSU was probably one of the greatest games I've ever seen ANY Zag play. No Zag will ever do what Adam did under the conditions he did...to lead the nation in scoring while being a type 1 diabetic is crazy. He's done as much as ANY player in the last 20 years to get and keep GU basketball where it is. I still think "3" needs to be hanging in the rafters.

Morrison Rocks!

DixieZag
03-31-2017, 03:56 PM
The best pure scorer GU has ever had. Adam was the main scoring threat and every team knew it....and they still could do nothing about it. The 3 OT game in Maui against MSU was probably one of the greatest games I've ever seen ANY Zag play. No Zag will ever do what Adam did under the conditions he did...to lead the nation in scoring while being a type 1 diabetic is crazy. He's done as much as ANY player in the last 20 years to get and keep GU basketball where it is. I still think "3" needs to be hanging in the rafters.

Morrison Rocks!

Great post. Agree 100%

VinnyZag
03-31-2017, 07:10 PM
I love that he mentioned Rillie, because I was at GU when he played. My two favorite memories of John:

1) He was always in the Martin Centre, playing pickup ball with hacks like myself. I got to know him a little from those games, except he for some reason thought my name was Pat. I never corrected him because that was funny to me.

2) Once during one of those pickup games, Few wandered into the gym. He told Rillie something to the effect of, "John, I hope you're working on your dribbling out here and not just shooting all the time." John assured Few that he was, in fact, working on his dribbling. I don't think I'd seen Rillie dribble once in two hours of playing ... nothing but that sweet jumper of his.

Zags_Fanatic
03-31-2017, 07:24 PM

Morrison Rocks!

Especially after he came back to get his degree. I honestly don't know why the athletic department hasn't retired any numbers since Stockton.

ProVeeZag
03-31-2017, 07:40 PM
Especially after he came back to get his degree. I honestly don't know why the athletic department hasn't retired any numbers since Stockton.

Possibly hasn't been long enough in terms of years, but would love to see Morrison's #3 jersey retired. It would look great next to a National Championship banner, no?

Ammo's article in The Player's Tribune was beautifully written, from his heart.

zagbeliever
03-31-2017, 08:44 PM

Great, great article. I sent a link to several people.

jim77
03-31-2017, 08:52 PM
Possibly hasn't been long enough in terms of years, but would love to see Morrison's #3 jersey retired. It would look great next to a National Championship banner, no?

It would look fantastic next to an NC banner.

Bowser
03-31-2017, 08:59 PM
From the article:

"I think I’ve always connected deeply with Gonzaga because I see a lot of myself in the program. When we walk into a gym, we may not look like much. During warmups, you might assume we’re overrated. But as soon as the ball is tipped, you’re in for a fight, whether you’re a team at the bottom of the WCC or the top of ACC."

I never expected to connect with Ammo in anything but basketball. I was wrong. We share Zagness or whatever. Why? My experience from my "playing days" in the '70s was similar to his. We walked in and didn't look like much. Often underestimated. But we were always ready for a fight with anyone. Particularly the jerks.

Outraged
03-31-2017, 09:04 PM
Well I always felt he got the short end of the stick. Now Im not so sure. I now think he has it all which makes me feel much better. Life is good!

LoveMyZags
04-01-2017, 06:41 AM
Sounds like one of those imaginary friends imo. Might as well own what you're saying. Really unnecessary post. Based on location, guessing you're a Dons fan trolling?

I am a Gonzaga Alum living in SF. I am a bit sad that posters would 1) assume that I am a troll despite my saying I enjoyed the article and 2) that it changed my opinion on the guy. I won't mention that someone also assumes our gender as male. I discussed this with my friend this morning on our way down to Phoenix. We both had negative encounters with Ammo on campus as students that have clouded our opinions on him. Mine has softened, hers hasn't.

Looking forward to today's game! I hope Phoenix is prepared. My SWA flight is full of Zags excited for the game!!

zagsfanforlife
04-01-2017, 07:05 AM
I am a Gonzaga Alum living in SF. I am a bit sad that posters would 1) assume that I am a troll despite my saying I enjoyed the article and 2) that it changed my opinion on the guy. I won't mention that someone also assumes our gender as male. I discussed this with my friend this morning on our way down to Phoenix. We both had negative encounters with Ammo on campus as students that have clouded our opinions on him. Mine has softened, hers hasn't.

Looking forward to today's game! I hope Phoenix is prepared. My SWA flight is full of Zags excited for the game!!

Sorry you had A bad experience... that's unfortunate and not cool. Everyone's experience is diff though. I met him three or four times and he always seemed like a good guy going out of his way for fans considering his superstar status at the time.
have fun in Phoenix!! I'll be there!!

cjm720
04-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Writing about 1995, my senior year, and the amazing ride we all have been on, including Ammo's, made me choke up many times during the read. He spoke from the heart and I'm even more proud to say I'm a Zag fan.

RenoZag
04-01-2017, 07:27 AM
I vote for keeping this out of the FF Media thread, it needs to be read by everyone. Stunningly great work by Ammo.

There's a link there too. This "stand alone" thread will either end up pinned in "Old Dogs" or in the HOF once the dust settles on the season.

Zaga
04-01-2017, 07:36 AM

My take as well!

SwainZag
04-01-2017, 07:40 AM
This is a share from Reddit, but JJ Reddick does or use to do a podcast and Ammo was his guest close to a exactly a year ago. It's 42 minutes, but they talk a lot of looking back at hoops and it was a fun listen. Link here: https://art19.com/shows/vertical-jj-redick/episodes/12fdd79c-a718-4774-b0c7-ff51665c388e

bballbeachbum
04-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Such a great article! Love AMMO! Just got tears in the eyes reading it - damn onions.

me too. just sent it to some coaching buddies as a must read
man that was a great read, well done Ammo and thanks for sharing all that

GU69
04-01-2017, 10:37 AM
HOF