PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the best interview with Ammo

FuManShoes
03-31-2017, 05:44 AM
I really enjoyed this piece by Luke Winn catching up with Adam. Just something about the reflective and grounded nature stuck out. I was surprised when Adam says he hasn't met Nigel. Is Ammo that removed from the program at this point? https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/30/adam-morrison-gonzaga-bulldogs-final-four

SI: Are there any other NCAA tournament stories or memories that you don't get asked about as much as UCLA, but have stuck with you?

Morrison: One of my vivid memories, to this day, was at the end of my sophomore year [of 2004-05]—I missed a game-winner against Texas Tech, a game we should have won. They were a hard-nosed Bobby Knight team that came back to beat us, and I missed a three at the end. I walked into the locker room and saw [Martinique-born former Zags star] Ronny Turiaf by himself in the corner of the shower, in the University of Arizona locker room, just crying like a child.

And I felt so much guilt, like, I just ended this man's career—a guy who would pretty much set the table for all the Europeans to come to Gonzaga, and I just felt so guilty, like, why didn't I go to the basket? Or why didn't I make that shot? He's a good friend of mine to this day and that memory just sucks. It wasn't fun.

Sarenyon
03-31-2017, 06:19 AM
Is Ammo that removed from the program at this point

If you read Nigel's wonderful blog post from a few weeks back, no they have not met. He says he saw Adam come and talk to Few, but then looked over again and he was already gone.

Thought this was a great article as well.

Zag4Hire
03-31-2017, 06:38 AM
I really enjoyed this piece by Luke Winn catching up with Adam. Just something about the reflective and grounded nature stuck out. I was surprised when Adam says he hasn't met Nigel. Is Ammo that removed from the program at this point? https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/30/adam-morrison-gonzaga-bulldogs-final-four

Wow. That is a real heart-ripper of a blurb. The handful of memories for that game amount to the early tip, strange buzz, and the result of actually punching a hole in the wall near the kitchen. The irony is I don't know if they would have beat the Pittsnogle Neers that year awaiting them in S16 and I rather lord over all of my WVU friends the undefeated record.

Reborn
03-31-2017, 06:40 AM
Great article to me. Best I've ever read on ADAM. Thanks for posting.

webspinnre
03-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Is Ammo that removed from the program at this point? https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/30/adam-morrison-gonzaga-bulldogs-final-four

I think this quote from the story touches on that:

SI: And it seemed like Gonzaga never tried to cramp your style—the hair, the mustache, the way you played. There are other schools that might've been restrictive.

Morrison: One of the biggest things I'm thankful for is that Gonzaga always let me be myself. And they still do, to this day, I'm still welcomed there. I'm not a normal guy—I think you've gathered that—but I never felt pressure from them to conform to anything.

Ammo always has been a different sort of guy. He's not like Ronny or Rob who enjoy being at the center of everything, and talking to everyone.

Zagger
03-31-2017, 07:08 AM
Morrison: One of the biggest things I'm thankful for is that Gonzaga always let me be myself. And they still do, to this day, I'm still welcomed there. I'm not a normal guy—I think you've gathered that—but I never felt pressure from them to conform to anything.
That's what I really liked about GU when I got a Masters there in '92. GU tailored the program after the people who were in it. We really helped guide what we learned and made it a more valuable experience being a part of it. Learned bunches! Morrison is also the main reason I became an avid Zag fan. It wasn't just Morrison the person but the fact that he was a local (Mead High School) and that he was different yet accepted. GU, seems to me anyway, is a place that tries to bring out the best in people as opposed to being a place one conforms to. GU is flexible in a good way. Probably one of the reasons GU has been able to adjust well, and take advantage of, the basketball fame without a lot of growing pains. Spokane is somewhat like that too. You can be yourself here.

RenoZag
03-31-2017, 08:09 AM
Adam Morrison Player's Tribune Article:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-morrison-gonzaga-basketball-final-four/