PDA

View Full Version : OT: Wichita State in Talks to Leave MVC, join AAC

RenoZag
03-30-2017, 08:02 PM
The American Athletic Conference is engaged in talks to add Wichita State, according to multiple sources. The conversations have advanced to where a timeline for potential membership has emerged, including the possibility of Wichita State playing in the AAC as soon as next season.

There’s strong mutual interest between both sides, and sources said that a final decision could be made within the next month or in as few as the next two weeks. Any decision would need to be approved by the American Athletic Conference’s presidents, but the mutual interest is strong enough where neither side sees any looming issues.

The biggest lingering detail remains when Wichita State would leave the Missouri Valley Conference to begin play in the AAC. Sources said there’s a strong chance that the Shockers could play in the AAC in the 2017-18 season, as both sides would prefer Wichita State avoiding playing a lame duck year in the Missouri Valley Conference. . .

Wichita State has played in the Missouri Valley Conference since 1945. The lure for the school revolves around bolstering its basketball resume for the NCAA tournament selection committee, as Wichita State went 30-4 during the regular season and received just a No. 10 seed in the NCAA tournament. The Valley’s conference RPI ranked No. 12 nationally, while the AAC ranked No. 7. (Just two AAC teams made the NCAA tournament this season—Cincinnati and SMU—compared to four last season.)

The potential move appears mutually beneficial on paper. For Wichita State, it helps bolster their strength of schedule and national profile. For the AAC, it injects another program that’s immediately competitive nationally to increase its national competitiveness.

LINK: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/30/wichita-state-gregg-marshall-aac-american-athletic-conference-missouri-valley

TexasZagFan
03-31-2017, 05:19 AM
Just in time to negotiate their next TV deal, up in 2020. Adding a strong school like WSU will strengthen their hand for a basketball contract. AAU's football members aren't strong enough to stand up against power 5 programs.

WCC's current contract is up in 2019. There were no amounts reported in the article.

IMO, Power 5 is going to further gobble up TV money. Obviously, it's a fluid environment, as ESPN grapples with a loss of subscribers.

Birddog
03-31-2017, 09:24 AM
To me it's pretty sad to see all the defections from the once proud and competitive MVC.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
To me it's pretty sad to see all the defections from the once proud and competitive MVC.

I felt the same way when the WAC broke up. During the 80s, the formula for winning the conference was win your home games, split the road games. The vast majority of the time, 12-4 was good enough.

UTEP, BYU, New Mexico, Colorado St., AFA, Wyoming, Hawaii, and San Diego St. comprised the WAC back then. Helluva conference.

Birddog
03-31-2017, 10:28 AM
I felt the same way when the WAC broke up. During the 80s, the formula for winning the conference was win your home games, split the road games. The vast majority of the time, 12-4 was good enough.

UTEP, BYU, New Mexico, Colorado St., AFA, Wyoming, Hawaii, and San Diego St. comprised the WAC back then. Helluva conference.

SDSU was a late comer ('78) as was AFA ('80) but Utah was in there from the start. Agree, helluva conference and it made geographical sense.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2017, 10:59 AM
SDSU was a late comer ('78) as was AFA ('80) but Utah was in there from the start. Agree, helluva conference and it made geographical sense.

My bad, I forgot about Utah. There were nine teams in the WAC back then. Wyoming, UTEP, and Utah tied for #1 with 12-4 records, followed by BYU at 11-5.

bartruff1
03-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Makes a lot of sense...the Koch Brothers will insure they get what they need to be successful in the AAC...

RenoZag
03-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Makes a lot of sense...the Koch Brothers will insure they get what they need to be successful in the ACC...

Point of order: They're not joining the ACC.

strikenowhere
03-31-2017, 11:47 AM
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/30/wichita-state-gregg-marshall-aac-american-athletic-conference-missouri-valley

They'd be joining as the 12th member of the league, having to travel all over the country to play games against the following:

SMU
Cincinnati
Houston
UCF
Memphis
Connecticut
Tulsa
Temple
East Carolina
Tulane
South Florida

I wonder how they'll handle the league now? That is a pretty far distance to travel from Kansas to UConn, East Carolina, South Florida, UCF....almost like they don't view the distance to travel for away games as that big of a deal ;). I guess they could split the league up into East/West if they really wanted to.

bartruff1
03-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Point of order: They're not joining the ACC.

My bad...lol....but if they were the Koch Brothers could afford that also... :o

CDC84
03-31-2017, 12:25 PM
This isn't a good move on their end:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/wichita-state-basketball-american-athletic-conference-missouri-valley/1nz3ei5s5t9bb1mrtola7np2gi

TexasZagFan
03-31-2017, 12:59 PM
This isn't a good move on their end:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/wichita-state-basketball-american-athletic-conference-missouri-valley/1nz3ei5s5t9bb1mrtola7np2gi

A few years ago, Conference USA's TV contract was worth over a million a year to each school. Last year, each school's take was less than $300K, thanks to their defections.

sylean
03-31-2017, 06:14 PM
that is going to be a tough league for the womens bb team..UConn?....