PDA

View Full Version : Zags commentary at other WCC message boards

CDC84
03-30-2017, 06:10 PM
I am not one to roam around other message boards or forums, but I was wondering how our fellow WCC'ers feel about Gonzaga being the first WCC team since, what was it, the 1957 USF Dons to make the final 4? Lots of positive vibes? I would like to think so, because Gonzaga is going to be recognized as a WCC team, even during, possibly, the announcement of the starting lineups in front of 72,000 people or whatever.

What inspires this question is this.....a couple of weeks ago on the Mountain they replayed an old documentary on the 1990 UNLV title team. On the set were several of the players on the team as well as Coach Tark. As people may remember, in the national semis Vegas had to play the great Georgia Tech team with Kenny Anderson and Dennis Scott. The other game featured Duke. So throughout the entire Vegas/Ga Tech game, both Duke and Ga Tech fans were chanting ACC! ACC! ACC! ACC! (Duke back then wasn't hated as much as they are today by other ACC teams). Well, anyways, Vegas came back in the second half and beat Tech quite soundly to move on to the national title game vs. Duke. One of the UNLV players said that his favorite moment - even more than hoisting the title game trophy two nights later - was coming off the court and every UNLV fan and local Denver resident shouting Big West! Big West! Big West!! Big West!. And it was no joke. Near the end of the season that UNLV team had lost at UC-Santa Barbara. Earlier they had lost at New Mexico State. It was the ultimate middle finger to all ACC snobs in the building. I remember that moment....I was laughing hysterically on the couch, because they chanted it extra loud to shove it in their faces.

Ekrub
03-30-2017, 06:41 PM
GIAG has a link to all of the other message boards, if anybody is interested

RenoZag
03-30-2017, 06:59 PM
GIAG has a link to all of the other message boards, if anybody is interested

So does this board, if you're interested. It's in the "WCC Forum" and is pinned to the top.

Ekrub
03-30-2017, 07:15 PM
So does this board, if you're interested. It's in the "WCC Forum" and is pinned to the top.

Didn't know that, thanks for sharing.

Ekrub
03-30-2017, 07:22 PM
LMU fans

Congrats to Gonzaga first WCC team since San Francisco in the Final Four (although wasn't Seattle essentially a de facto member in 1958?)

They should actually the favorite in their next game since they beat Florida earlier this year.

Some will say the didn't play a big seed but that's part of the tourney they didn't choke and that West VA team could beat anybody .

Nice win for the WCC should help recruiting for all of other coaches can build something and knock off Gonzaga a couple times. They have to follow the blue print of scheduling in the non conference

Way to go Zags! Huge accomplishment. Pulling for you to win it all in Phoenix.

Well done - proud of our league-mates!
Is this the only time in recent history for a team to get this far without a "one and done" player?
Few has done a great job in Spokane and I guess I'm OK with playing for second each season with these results for the Zags!
Have fun in Phoenix

CDC84
03-30-2017, 07:23 PM
I was just wondering if anybody could comment on the general vibe. I am not really someone that likes visiting these sites.

Hoopaholic
03-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Gaels forum seems to be appreciative of what zags are doing for wcc reputation and national exposure

DixieZag
03-30-2017, 07:31 PM
I was just wondering if anybody could comment on the general vibe. I am not really someone that likes visiting these sites.

GIAG is always a thoughtful site that will welcome visitors and has some people that know quite a bit about basketball. I haven't read anything there lately, but when we won the WVU game, they were very supportive.

RenoZag
03-30-2017, 07:37 PM

A small number of comments on the USF Board, CDC, generally happy the WCC is going to get plenty of free publicity, the Zags are pretty good, etc. A few can't bring themselves to root for GU but that's nothing new for that forum.
GIAG generally favorable reviews from the usual suspects.

You can't pay me enough to check out the BYU forum. I gave up irrational exuberence when Alan Greenspan retired. . .

Hoopaholic
03-30-2017, 07:39 PM
Dons central is about 50-50

Supportive

Non supportive because of what they believe is obnoxious fan base of zag nation

Hoopaholic
03-30-2017, 07:46 PM
A small number of comments on the USF Board, CDC, generally happy the WCC is going to get plenty of free publicity, the Zags are pretty good, etc. A few can't bring themselves to root for GU but that's nothing new for that forum.
GIAG generally favorable reviews from the usual suspects.

You can't pay me enough to check out the BYU forum. I gave up irrational exuberence when Alan Greenspan retired. . .

The single thread on byu board is overwhelming supportive

DixieZag
03-30-2017, 07:49 PM
You gotta admit, BYU has a huge rooting interest. Let's say we win the national championship, that'd make us, what? 38-1?

It would be pretty proud stuff to be the "1" in that record, deservedly so.

maynard g krebs
03-30-2017, 07:49 PM
I just took a look at the Gael board. Exceedingly complimentary; not a negative word.

Hoopaholic
03-30-2017, 07:58 PM
You gotta admit, BYU has a huge rooting interest. Let's say we win the national championship, that'd make us, what? 38-1?

It would be pretty proud stuff to be the "1" in that record, deservedly so.

Yes. One comment was funny...zags would be 38 and BYU