PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward: What's our pre-season schedule look like?

adoptedzag
03-30-2017, 02:57 PM
With the interesting news that we'll play Villanova in MSG coupled with This link saying the Zags will be #4 and Villanova will be #1 (http://kenpom.com/blog/2018-pre-season-top-ten/) - is there a list compiled of our schedule out yet? I know, I know, we are still playing this year, but I have literally read every piece of final four material out there (I'm on vacation this week).

former1dog
03-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Dude! Seriously?

:roll:

kclubfounder
03-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Perhaps the funniest post of the year. Congrats!

RenoZag
03-30-2017, 03:16 PM
perhaps he's an early adopter ??

zagdontzig
03-30-2017, 03:19 PM
lololol this is the best thread ever

Zags11
03-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Vs South Carolina

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2017, 03:23 PM
With the interesting news that we'll play Villanova in MSG coupled with This link saying the Zags will be #4 and Villanova will be #1 (http://kenpom.com/blog/2018-pre-season-top-ten/) - is there a list compiled of our schedule out yet? I know, I know, we are still playing this year, but I have literally read every piece of final four material out there (I'm on vacation this week).

Do you mean ooc schedule? South Carolina then North Carolina

TheZagPhish
03-30-2017, 03:32 PM
https://cl.ly/fCzG/welp.gif

GoZags
03-30-2017, 03:33 PM

OR maybe the Zeros.

DixieZag
03-30-2017, 03:43 PM

No, he means our Pre-OOC-Season

And that would be South Carolina and the winner of the ducks/heels in the pre-OOC season kick-off, the Glendale Invitational.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
03-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Oh, come on. You all read it. You clicked the link. You want Zag basketball so bad you were happy that the writer assumes Zach Collins will return, and it's nice to know we're facing Nova.

It's all good. Go Zags. This year and next.

gonstu
03-30-2017, 04:07 PM
This reminds me, I've been meaning to start a thread on the 2020 season. Now seems as good a time as any since it's so slow...

Just kidding, I did find the responses to the op equally as entertaining as the op itself

Bing
03-30-2017, 04:19 PM
This reminds me, I've been meaning to start a thread on the 2020 season. Now seems as good a time as any since it's so slow...

Just kidding, I did find the responses to the op equally as entertaining as the op itself

Have they announced the date for Krazy in the Kennel for next season? And do you think they will tweak the piping on the uniforms with a different shade of blue?

Markburn1
03-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Wow. You guys are brutal. It's a legit question.

They will play @Washington. They will play Villanova in the Jimmy V Classic. They will have 3 games in the Phil Night Invitational with at least two big time opponents. More than likely they will renew their series with Arizona. San Diego State at home.

The rest is up in the air, but that's a formidable schedule already.

adoptedzag
03-30-2017, 04:30 PM

They will play @Washington. They will play Villanova in the Jimmy V Classic. They will have 3 games in the Phil Night Invitational with at least two big time opponents. More than likely they will renew their series with Arizona.

Hah, thanks. Yeah, after I posted it and realized I wasn't going to get any traction, I did some searching. Best site I could find so far was: https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welcome/schedule/future-gonzaga-schedule/2017-18-gonzaga-schedule/

That PKI field is absolutely bonkers. Stacked with great teams. Hopefully we get some good matchups/wins. Anyway, I really have read absolutely everything I could find on the final four, so I just wanted to take a break from it and take a peek ahead. Thanks for the entertaining replies ;)

BayAreaZagFan
03-30-2017, 04:33 PM
Have they announced the date for Krazy in the Kennel for next season? And do you think they will tweak the piping on the uniforms with a different shade of blue?

I was going to say, "Yes, championship blue", but then I thought I'd better google it to see if that was already a thing and I came across this article:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracket-beat/2017-02-21/march-madness-why-you-should-always-pick-blue-and-orange

Turns out that blue holds a winning record against every color except orange. I like our odds even more now.

Also, has anyone seen an updated bracketology for next year yet? I was curious what Region Lunardi has us in (sorry:)).

Bing
03-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Glad your attitude is great i.e. "No harm, no foul"

Hah, thanks. Yeah, after I posted it and realized I wasn't going to get any traction, I did some searching. Best site I could find so far was: https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welcome/schedule/future-gonzaga-schedule/2017-18-gonzaga-schedule/

That PKI field is absolutely bonkers. Stacked with great teams. Hopefully we get some good matchups/wins. Anyway, I really have read absolutely everything I could find on the final four, so I just wanted to take a break from it and take a peek ahead. Thanks for the entertaining replies ;)

gu03alum
03-30-2017, 05:19 PM
LOL, I can't stop laughing at this thread.

adoptedzag
03-30-2017, 05:32 PM
LOL, I can't stop laughing at this thread.

That's the problem with absorbing every bit of media this week :(

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-30-2017, 06:00 PM
First Final Four..Im not looking ahead..Im savoring every minute of this incredible journey. Course Im older the dirt. You young'uns go ahead and wonder bout next years pre season. Ill stop and smell the roses.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Wow, how about living in the moment

zag67
03-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Old_Zag I am with you. Live for the rest of this week and then hopefully Monday.

Bogozags
03-31-2017, 08:02 AM

They will play @Washington. They will play Villanova in the Jimmy V Classic. They will have 3 games in the Phil Night Invitational with at least two big time opponents. More than likely they will renew their series with Arizona. San Diego State at home.

I remember (which is nice in itself) that we are supposed to play Cal next year too...so that could be three P-12 schools AND the PKI Tournament...

(Let's hope NWG and Zach come back for next year!)

MickMick
03-31-2017, 08:12 AM
I posted this in another thread:

Gonzaga, Oregon, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Butler, UConn, Michigan State, Xavier, Florida, Ohio State, Georgetown, Oklahoma, Texas, Stanford, and Portland to the 2017 Nike Invitational.

Three Final Four Teams, three additional Elite Eight teams (6/8 of the Elite Eight field, only South Carolina and Kansas are missing), and nine of the sixteen team field having participated in the 2017 tournament.

The tournament champion will not have to worry about the "bubble"

CDC84
03-31-2017, 10:59 AM
I am in complete confusion as to what is going on with Arizona next season. I know in 2018 that they won't play because both teams will be in Maui. One person said that next year's game will be played in Phoenix, but I just can't see Gonzaga agreeing to that after the last game was played in Los Angeles. Sean has said that the goal is to get another home and home series started, pronto.

If Gonzaga and Arizona don't play next season, it might be a good chance to start up another series with UCLA. I heard Alford say recently (forgot where) that a renewal of the series is being worked out.

That's another thing about this final four thing (and even more so if GU can win it all) that might help Gonzaga.....scheduling. We all know that Bill Self won't play Wichita State, but what about a Kansas/GU home and home, especially since Few and Self are on good terms? North Carolina is another one I think about. Wisconsin and Indiana too. Jud is still alive....bring on Michigan State! Duke, Kentucky and some other programs just won't do it, and not just because of Gonzaga. They won't do it for anyone.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2017, 11:07 AM
I am in complete confusion as to what is going on with Arizona next season. I know in 2018 that they won't play because both teams will be in Maui. One person said that next year's game will be played in Phoenix, but I just can't see Gonzaga agreeing to that after the last game was played in Los Angeles. Sean has said that the goal is to get another home and home series started, pronto.

If Gonzaga and Arizona don't play next season, it might be a good chance to start up another series with UCLA. I heard Alford say recently (forgot where) that a renewal of the series is being worked out.

That's another thing about this final four thing (and even more so if GU can win it all) that might help Gonzaga.....scheduling. We all know that Bill Self won't play Wichita State, but what about a Kansas/GU home and home, especially since Few and Self are on good terms? North Carolina is another one I think about. Wisconsin and Indiana too. Jud is still alive....bring on Michigan State! Duke, Kentucky and some other programs just won't do it, and not just because of Gonzaga. They won't do it for anyone.

CDC, can you use your influence as a Super Moderator to have the SMU series renewed?

I'd be happy to coordinate a couple of alumni events, neither of which would cost more than $25 a person. Our good friend webspinner has been to two of the locales I'm thinking of. lol

adoptedzag
04-19-2017, 08:44 AM
https://cl.ly/fCzG/welp.gif

So, can we start talking about this now?! :D

CDC84
04-19-2017, 08:55 AM
CDC, can you use your influence as a Super Moderator to have the SMU series renewed?

I'd be happy to coordinate a couple of alumni events, neither of which would cost more than $25 a person. Our good friend webspinner has been to two of the locales I'm thinking of. lol

Does SMU have any sort of future as a program now that Larry Brown is gone? I wouldn't have a clue. They had a great year this season. I know TCU is on the upswing with Dixon and a nice renovated arena, but it's in Ft. Worth! (Do Dallas residents dislike Ft. Worth, or do the two cities more or less get along?)

I'd love to do a neutral game in Dallas against Texas, but I'm not sure if Few would want to play Shaka who is a pal of his.

CDC84
04-19-2017, 08:59 AM
I mentioned this in another thread.....does anyone know how the Phil Knight event is going to be organized next year?? Will it be two separate tournaments with two separate championship games, or will each team be assigned a schedule (say, the Zags play Oklahoma, UNC and Arkansas)?? You have Nike teams at the tournament from the same conference, so those teams must be separated.

ConnZag3
04-19-2017, 09:04 AM
I mentioned this in another thread.....does anyone know how the Phil Knight event is going to be organized next year?? Will it be two separate tournaments with two separate championship games, or will each team be assigned a schedule (say, the Zags play Oklahoma, UNC and Arkansas)?? You have Nike teams at the tournament from the same conference, so those teams must be separated.

2 separate and distinct 8 team tournaments since you can't have multiple teams from 1 conference. Thus Duke and UNC can't be in the same "tournament". Same for Gonzaga and Portland. The only conferences without 2 teams playing are the AAC - UConn and the Big Sky - Portland St so those teams will be in different brackets. The rest hasn't been announced yet. Sadly, I don't believe they'll be a Championship matchup between the 2 schools that win each bracket since that wouldn't work with how the NCAA permits these MTE tournaments.

TexasZagFan
04-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Does SMU have any sort of future as a program now that Larry Brown is gone? I wouldn't have a clue. They had a great year this season. I know TCU is on the upswing with Dixon and a nice renovated arena, but it's in Ft. Worth! (Do Dallas residents dislike Ft. Worth, or do the two cities more or less get along?)

I'd love to do a neutral game in Dallas against Texas, but I'm not sure if Few would want to play Shaka who is a pal of his.

There's a bit of a rivalry, but it's lessened due to the growth around DFW airport, which is located in both Dallas and Tarrant counties.

Isn't Few pals with just about everyone? Shaka's having a tough enough time in Austin without getting smacked by the Zags. Another Baylor/GU matchup in "neutral" Dallas would be great, too.

seacatfan
04-19-2017, 09:33 AM
When is the last time North Carolina or Kansas did a home and home with anyone out west? Arizona had a series w/ Carolina, but that was probably close to 10 years ago. Kansas....can't remember them traveling this direction. I just don't see it. UCLA had a home and home w/ Kentucky, but basically none of the big boys in college bball are willing to travel west. You can dream, but it's not likely to happen.

CDC84
04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
When is the last time North Carolina or Kansas did a home and home with anyone out west? Arizona had a series w/ Carolina, but that was probably close to 10 years ago. Kansas....can't remember them traveling this direction. I just don't see it. UCLA had a home and home w/ Kentucky, but basically none of the big boys in college bball are willing to travel west. You can dream, but it's not likely to happen.

Other than North Carolina and its usual west coast game before Maui (like when they played UCSB), it's been awhile since UNC has been out west. I would still take a swing at Kansas if I were GU because the travel isn't as daunting as playing some team back east. They can only say no. But I wouldn't count on them saying yes. It's not an insult to GU. It's very much like what Sean Miller said in his presser before GU and Zona squared off. Home and homes are harder and harder to come by these days because of the expanded league schedules and all of the made for TV neutral court games that are being offered. You also have Atlantis and Maui which usually have elite fields. I think the ACC is going to something like a 20 game league sked in 2019. There just isn't any room to fit home and homes in anymore, and if you do, you generally want to face someone who is in your geographical region to cut down on travel. As Sean also said, it's not a good thing for basketball because frankly, having UNC and UK playing a game in Las Vegas is boring. These games are so much more fun to watch when they are played on campus with the kids screaming and all that.

TravelinZag
04-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Scheduling a game prior to a multiple-team preseason tournament has been allowed in the past. The PK80 bracket not including the Zags would offer a handful of attractive opponents. Yeah, finding a mutually available date and willingness of both teams could be complicate matters, but there should be possible opponents from the Big East, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC in the non-GU bracket, plus possibly UConn and/or Stanford. Seems like exploring these would be worthwhile in hope of adding a quality game for both teams. Even a loss would be better than a home win against a cupcake for both teams if a scheduling could be arranged.

Then again, perhaps the unusual format of PK80 might bring a veto from the NCAA to a fourth matchup. Anyone know for certain. If the Zags' preseason schedule is not filled yet, that must be true for other excellent teams as well. Not worth a try? Half of the D-1 conferences do not have a team worth a slot on the 17-18 Zags OOC slate. Need a breather from a heavy schedule? Shouldn't require a sub-200 BPI/RPI walkover. Just My opinion, which may be worth what it costs.

Bogozags
04-20-2017, 03:49 AM
There's a bit of a rivalry, but it's lessened due to the growth around DFW airport, which is located in both Dallas and Tarrant counties.

Isn't Few pals with just about everyone? Shaka's having a tough enough time in Austin without getting smacked by the Zags. Another Baylor/GU matchup in "neutral" Dallas would be great, too.

TZF we played Baylor in Dallas back in '10 or '11... just thinking that maybe another neutral site game with them in Seattle might be a good fit for both teams...

You talk with ur peps and I'll talk to my peps...

Zagdawg
04-29-2017, 05:26 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 1h1 hour ago
Gonzaga will host Texas Southern as part of its 2017-18 non-conference schedule, per a source.

adoptedzag
04-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 1h1 hour ago
Gonzaga will host Texas Southern as part of its 2017-18 non-conference schedule, per a source.

ugh

Zagdawg
04-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Ughing a tournament team and winners of the SWAC at 23-12 last year with a 103 RPI as a warmup game --hmmm boy have we come a long way I guess when we can complain about that kind of preseason game --especially with the team looking for time to mesh and get some expereince before PK80.

gonzagafan62
04-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Ughing a tournament team and winners of the SWAC at 23-12 last year with a 103 RPI as a warmup game --hmmm boy have we come a long way I guess when we can complain about that kind of preseason game --especially with the team looking for time to mesh and get some expereince before PK80.

Yup. Most don't understand.

We have PK80, Villanova, San Diego State and plenty of teams to get up for next season. We need a break

MDABE80
04-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Not sure this upcoming team would tolerate the rigors of a very hard schedule. Definitely it'll be a lesser team we field this year. when the top 4 scorers and 4 starts evaporate, it's tough to justify a killer schedule. WCC will even be harder this year. I sure don't expect only 1 loss........considering.
Kind like 2 years ago when we barely made the tournament. We likely wouldn't have even with 2 AA's called Wiltjer and Sabonis unless McClellan hadn't turned into a defense all star (Defender of the years as it turned out) and an offensive machine. We probably should have lost 10 games that year......and could have easily. Still, the run was so unlikely but ended in the Key against Syracuse.

adoptedzag
04-30-2017, 08:31 AM

We'll have plenty of time to "warm up" in the WCC. This game is akin to playing USF for a 3rd time in the year. I'd love to be a bit more aggressive and get a top 50 rather than a top 100 game. Maybe I just have more faith in this year's team than most.

jazzdelmar
04-30-2017, 09:10 AM
We'll have plenty of time to "warm up" in the WCC. This game is akin to playing USF for a 3rd time in the year. I'd love to be a bit more aggressive and get a top 50 rather than a top 100 game. Maybe I just have more faith in this year's team than most.

Agree. Good analogy w USF.

maynard g krebs
04-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Can't play all top 50 teams in nonconf though. TS is really a pretty good game; need to mix those lower tier games in w/ PK80, Nova etc. How many sub-150 ooc games were there last year?

23dpg
04-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Scheduling rpi 100 teams isn't the issue. It's the 250+ teams that really hurt the metrics.
Remember, the rpi says it's better to beat teams 99 & 100 than it is to beat the number one team in the nation and the number 330. Thankfully the NCAA appears to be moving away from the dated and easily manipulated metric.

Zagdawg
04-30-2017, 12:32 PM
We are going to have the opportunity to play a good number of solid teams next year---but you will rarely see Few schedule a top 50 team as a warm up game (unless he has a team full of veteran/tested players)-- especially with so many new faces that are stepping on the college court for the first time (5 players that may see significant time).

Let me help you with the warm up concept---unless there is a change to the 2017-2018 basketball schedule that I am not aware of -- the pre conference schedule is played before the actual WCC conference season --so the WCC season cannot be used as warm up games---- you play a number of teams early in the pre-conf that allow you to try different line ups in a basketball game environment making sure the plays that they have worked on in practice are properly executed and also this allows you to introduce new players to the college game (speed, physicality etc).

With the season starting November 10th and the PK80 tournament starting November 23rd we have the opportunity to get 3-4 games in before we start to play the heavier hitters of our pre conf season---I hope the Texas Southern game is played just ahead of the PK80 tournament as a gauge the coaches will use to see where we are early in the season.

I hope the experience will help our guys be more prepared for some of the teams they can meet in the PK80 tournament.

gonzagafan62
04-30-2017, 02:59 PM
We are going to have the opportunity to play a good number of solid teams next year---but you will rarely see Few schedule a top 50 team as a warm up game (unless he has a team full of veteran/tested players)-- especially with so many new faces that are stepping on the college court for the first time (5 players that may see significant time).

Let me help you with the warm up concept---unless there is a change to the 2017-2018 basketball schedule that I am not aware of -- the pre conference schedule is played before the actual WCC conference season --so the WCC season cannot be used as warm up games---- you play a number of teams early in the pre-conf that allow you to try different line ups in a basketball game environment making sure the plays that they have worked on in practice are properly executed and also this allows you to introduce new players to the college game (speed, physicality etc).

With the season starting November 10th and the PK80 tournament starting November 23rd we have the opportunity to get 3-4 games in before we start to play the heavier hitters of our pre conf season---I hope the Texas Southern game is played just ahead of the PK80 tournament as a gauge the coaches will use to see where we are early in the season.

I hope the experience will help our guys be more prepared for some of the teams they can meet in the PK80 tournament.

Cha-Ching

Our meat is already on the OOC. Except etc more games like this and don't get disappointed... we need them

Zagdawg
05-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account
@GoodmanESPN

Texas Southern guard @ZachLofton (16.8 ppg) told ESPN he will graduate next week and transfer for his final season. Eligible immediately.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/05/01/texas-southerns-zach-lofton-to-transfer/

sittingon50
05-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Maybe the Zags should pick him up just for the great scouting report he can give for that pre-season game!!;)

CDC84
05-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Once again, the Zags must play a certain amount of "Texas Southern" type buy games every year for revenue purposes. Just like every other high major team. It's a game of financial necessity. And the SWAC schools are the best because you don't have to pay them much.

Playing WCC teams is not like playing SWAC schools. For one thing, when GU plays, say, LMU, they have 12 or more games under their belt. The team is much more in sync. Secondly, even if LMU and Texas Southern are, say, 237 and 238 in the RPI, LMU is way more tougher to play because league opponents know you inside and out. There is familiarity. Also, GU plays one of the two games at LMU. GU doesn't have to play Texas Southern on the road.

The Texas Southern game is only a bad thing if it is followed by a game against Hartford. And then Hartford is followed by a game against Mississippi Valley State. And the MVSU game is followed by a game against Coppin State and so on. You don't want too many Texas Southerns, and you want them placed in strategic places whenever possible (first game of the season, after the PK80, after finals, after Christmas, after playing 3 straight BCS teams in a row, etc., are just some examples - they can't schedule SWAC/Big Sky schools after each of these events, but take advantage whenever possible).

sittingon50
05-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Was not dissing the Tex. So. game, CDC. I've got no problem with it.

Was just making the connection to a free agent guard, whom the Zags don't really need.

:D