PDA

View Full Version : This isn't their first rodeo

former1dog
03-30-2017, 09:46 AM
I don't know if this deserves its own thread or not, but its a thought that is bugging me reading through threads like "how tough are they", the opponents message board threads and any post that talks about Gonzaga versus USC and preparation for the game.

Coach Few, all the assistants, and most importantly THE PLAYERS all know the stakes. The have been through 37 game preps and only once have they failed to come through.

These guys know what they are doing, to a man. The angst, while natural, should be overcome with the faith that we can rely on the process installed and instilled by a man who is the winningest active coach in all of college basketball.

They got this!

TexasZagFan
03-30-2017, 09:57 AM
I don't know if this deserves its own thread or not, but its a thought that is bugging me reading through threads like "how tough are they", the opponents message board threads and any post that talks about Gonzaga versus USC and preparation for the game.

Coach Few, all the assistants, and most importantly THE PLAYERS all know the stakes. The have been through 37 game preps and only once have they failed to come through.

These guys know what they are doing, to a man. The angst, while natural, should be overcome with the faith that we can rely on the process installed and instilled by a man who is the winningest active coach in all of college basketball.

They got this!

Let's not forget that Karno played a great game against Okafor in 2015, that J3 played two years in the SEC (4 games against SC?), NWG played two seasons in the Pac 12, Jordan three seasons in the Pac 12.

And give it up for Josh, who hasn't gotten nearly enough credit for his work last year. I'm sure this is gravy compared to what the Zags faced last year.

Saturday's game is a true coming-out party for the Zags on the national stage. Xavier clearly wasn't prepared for us, though I think the Gamecocks will be. We are a tough team to prepare against, because of our balance, deep rotation, and unselfish play. We're a two minute brain fart from 37-0...glad it happened then, it helped us refocus IMO...not that this team needed it in a big way.

I didn't see much reporting on it, but you know that defeat on Seniors Night had to hurt. Shem's parents flew all the way from Poland, and other players' families were in town. It's definitely not the way they wanted to end their season at home. This bad memory has a chance to be eradicated in about 48 hours.

zagdontzig
03-30-2017, 09:59 AM
I agree. The routine brings familiarity and stability. Let them underestimate the Zags. The only team more prepared for the overwhelming stage is UNC by virtue of having been there, and being coached by a legend. Let's hope they have some jet lag.

former1dog
03-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Tex,

We know all teams have let downs during the long/difficult regular season. We don't really believe, for example that the 5 losses on UNC's resume means that those losses truly mean those other teams were better, do we?

The boys have all faced adversity. If they can go in prepared and focused against 20,000 "fans" at super hostile BYU and come out unscathed, I can confidently say they'll be AOK in the focus and preparation department.

TexasZagFan
03-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Tex,

We know all teams have let downs during the long/difficult regular season. We don't really believe, for example that the 5 losses on UNC's resume means that those losses truly mean those other teams were better, do we?

The boys have all faced adversity. If they can go in prepared and focused against 20,000 "fans" at super hostile BYU and come out unscathed, I can confidently say they'll be AOK in the focus and preparation department.

Just another game for them.

BTW, it got pretty hostile in Nashville during the second half, Tennessee had over 13,000 fans at Bridgestone. I remember Zach nailing 4 straight free throws during crunch time.

zagdontzig
03-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Just another game for them.

BTW, it got pretty hostile in Nashville during the second half, Tennessee had over 13,000 fans at Bridgestone. I remember Zach nailing 4 straight free throws during crunch time.

I'm not as confident when our boys go to the line.

TexasZagFan
03-30-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm not as confident when our boys go to the line.

It's been an adventure when Karno or J3 shoot free throws. Nigel's been a bit off, too. I felt more at ease jumping out of perfectly good airplanes than watching our FT shooting during March.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-30-2017, 01:21 PM
I asked a variation on this trivia question earlier in the season.

What do West Virginia, Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, Xavier, Clemson, Iowa, Northwestern, Arizona, UCLA, Washington, Washington State, Davidson, UCONN, SMU, and Memphis have in common?

A. Karnowski has beaten all of those teams during his career.

Karnowski and Melson each have nine career NCAA wins going into Saturday's game. Perkins has six. Four of our five starters are fourth or fifth year players. Our kids will be ready on Saturday.