PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina is tough....how tough?..

MDABE80
03-29-2017, 08:28 PM
633 Comcast (CBS Sorts Network) is showing their tournament games tonight till 1 am. We're going to have anything but a cakewalk. Throw out the data from the season. These guys look really good!

Goshzagit
03-29-2017, 08:42 PM
633 Comcast (CBS Sorts Network) is showing their tournament games tonight till 1 am. We're going to have anything but a cakewalk. Throw out the data from the season. These guys look really good!

Terrific team.

Best team we have played this season, as it should be.

Their bigs are coming around at the right time, and two under the radar NBA guards in Thornwall and Dozier.

Their PG, Notice, as one of Pangos' best friends in Toronto & POY. Been a performer at S.C. ever since.

Very athletic at every position and seasoned enough to avoid mistakes.

They play with an edge, which is palpable & evident it starts with the Coach and carries down.

I worry the Zags are satisfied. Can they match the intensity and fire S.C. plays with? Are they still hungry to play and advance?

We'll need to be firing on all cylinders to have a chance, especially within...need to play with purpose, intent, & urgency.

Karnowski is a GU hero, but has played way too casual overall this Tournament. I would like to see him fired up and p!ssed off, not complaining about calls or giving it away if a guard swarms him.

Otherwise, the same mindset we played with vs Xavier. No denying us. We are here to win, & advance.

Our guards arw going to be guarded. The pressure is on, but our bigs have an opportunity to take advantage and lead the way.

Gotta go win it. Cannot afford to coast on our accomplishments and talent.

kitzbuel
03-29-2017, 09:01 PM
I worry the Zags are satisfied. Can they match the intensity and fire S.C. plays with? Are they still hungry to play and advance.

My worry too

tempe85
03-29-2017, 09:07 PM
They're good, but they have only two bigs that play much or are any good. Either one gets into foul trouble and South Carolina is going to be hurting. I honestly don't think they match up well against us.

TheZagPhish
03-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Tough as jerky, but completely chewable.

maynard g krebs
03-29-2017, 09:17 PM
Xavier was a hot team too. Like the West Va game, I'm only worried about the possibility of the refs swallowing their whistles and it turning into a slugfest. Very physical team, big, strong and rough if they can get away with it. Otherwise, Zags win 2/3 or 3/4 of the time.

I can't imagine this team being "satisfied". I think they want a title.

caduceus
03-29-2017, 09:18 PM
Also Ch. 158 on Dish. Baylor game on now.

gbnyba17
03-29-2017, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys, a little late night scouting! Wonder if the zags will want my notes? :-)

CdAZagFan
03-29-2017, 09:57 PM
Kinda tired of hearing how great these guys are... They've grown to mythic proportions this week. And maybe they are great - but I'm ready to see it play out on the court. I think our guys have risen to every hurdle that's been put in front of them this year. I don't expect anything different on Saturday.

tempe85
03-29-2017, 10:01 PM
Kinda tired of hearing how great these guys are... They've grown to mythic proportions this week. And maybe they are great - but I'm ready to see it play out on the court. I think our guys have risen to every hurdle that's been put in front of them this year. I don't expect anything different on Saturday.

Yeah, you would think the way people are talking them up that they haven't gone 7-6 in their last 13 games and only have a 4 game winning streak.

gbnyba17
03-29-2017, 10:11 PM
My take after watching half of their game versus baylor... if we get to 65 pts we win this game. Their defense is great, make you take the shots they want. Getting to 65 may be a challenge. That said, i dont think their offense can put up more than 65 on us. Simply put, it (their offense) doesnt look very good. Im not even impressed with this thornwell kid ive heard so much about. Going to be a good, grind it out, game!

MDABE80
03-29-2017, 10:25 PM
I posted as I had been looking at their data which doesn't look so good. Also though, they've had lots of losses in the season.
But watching their games in the tournament, I'm not so sure..........talk about peaking at the right time. I'm glad I looked at their games. This WILL be a tough one to win.
I agree that Karno and a few others have looked "uninspired". Only 1 more game to go. We'd best come out breathing fire and mean it. They're not playing the pressing type defense to turn you over. Once into the 25 ft range, the muscling, the slapping and just quick on their feet hard defense begins.
This will be a hard fought game. Of course at this time of the years the best of the best show up.

bigblahla
03-29-2017, 11:02 PM
Not tough enough :)

Go!! Zags!!!

Zags11
03-30-2017, 01:09 AM

Yea but they are in the final 4, so they are good. So are we. Do I think we win? Yes. Do I think analyst's are hyping SC up? They want ratings.

DixieZag
03-30-2017, 02:47 AM
Thx, Abe - b/c I think I might have edged over into a little too confident and this brings it more in the proper range.

Sorry guys, but our team has played one complete game this tournament in which they looked like a NC contender. I think we were lucky to survive WV b/c they had us on the ropes, I think we tend to forget that b/c of the big shot and then the lock-down.

Sure, it's a great sign that our best game was the one under the most pressure, against the best/hot team, and that we extended our lead after half, instead of allowing the run, very good signs.

But, I'm just not buying in to us being this juggernaut that can't be denied quite yet. I've seen the eye of the tiger look in NWG, JWIII, and Mathews; the rest need to come out with even more intensity (K know Perk had a great game against Xavier). I think Few has them hungry, almost guarantee it. My hope, though, is that if they've been reading their own press clippings and feel quite good about themselves, they get roughed up a little in the first 4 minutes and DO NOT like it and then fight back in a way SC can't take.

I appreciate Abe writing this, b/c I sense a little bit of smug attitude setting in here, or at least a bit in me, until now.

Zagger
03-30-2017, 04:49 AM
A little difficult to chew ..... might need a bib.
http://www.sbaran.net/Zags/BeatSCsmall.png

gonzagafan62
03-30-2017, 05:12 AM
Yea but they are in the final 4, so they are good. So are we. Do I think we win? Yes. Do I think analyst's are hyping SC up? They want ratings.

Or they just won a holiday tournament. Sometimes the winner of those holiday tournaments don't pan out.

They really aren't that great of a team. Top 7 seed which means a team that is #25. We beat those type teams all the time

TexasZagFan
03-30-2017, 05:20 AM
Or they just won a holiday tournament. Sometimes the winner of those holiday tournaments don't pan out.

They really aren't that great of a team. Top 7 seed which means a team that is #25. We beat those type teams all the time

Stuff happens, like when we lost to a team that was bounced in the first round of the NIT. I am not looking past South Carolina.

willandi
03-30-2017, 05:55 AM
They may be tough, they maybe playing their best ball, but the Zags have outperformed them IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT, both offensively and defensively.

Zags will be challenged. I think Zags defense wins it, if the offense shows like against Xavier, it's a 20 point win.

bartruff1
03-30-2017, 06:02 AM
Well anything can happen of course, but Gonzaga has been playing tough teams in the last 3 games...

I think the odds makers have it right, Gonzaga is just too deep and talented to lose to South Carolina....especially in the front court.....both teams are good defensively and both are well coached...my only concern is Gonzaga's ability to make 3's in that type of venue...... and it will help if they can make their free throws....a lot..

I was more worried about Xavier and the Zags just shot lights out and won going away.. the transfers came here to win and they will ...

Reborn
03-30-2017, 06:46 AM

Pretty much how I feel. So many fans of GU who post hear are so paranoid. It's unbelievable really. I get tired of seeing such little confidence in the Zags here on this forum. My God, you'd think that Gonzaga is the weakest team in the tournament. I'm sick of reading about how Gonzaga has played poorly in the NCAA Tournament, accept for one game. I'm tired of reading about how poorly they played against Virginia and UN. There seems to be so little appreciation for the FACT that Gonzaga is in the Final Four, and that they made it because they are a great team. And mostly, to say on this GuBoard forum that there are players on the Gonzaga Team LOOk UNENTHUSIASTIC, which means that they are playing at less than 100% is the worst thing that I've ever read on this board, and I am shocked that the managers of this forum allow such "crap" into ANY discussion of the greatness of our team. I watched the replay of So Carolina's game with Florida, and thought they looked about the same as Xavier. And they certainly do NOT look as good as the Zags!!!

So Carolina is really tough. No denying that. But so are the other teams in the Final Four. Teams would not be here if they were not tough. The key to advancing will be which team can make the most baskets. That's the advantage Gonzaga has, imo.

I think it's important to say that some of the stuff written here DOES NOT REFLECT how the majority of ZagNation feels and believes about this years Gonzaga team. Thank you to those of you who continue to believe in this team and support them in a positive way. This is the greatest team Gonzaga has ever had, but some folks just can't believe that. Too bad!!! But OH WELL!!!

Go Zags!!!

Ezag
03-30-2017, 06:59 AM
The Gamecocks are so good even Chuck Norris is scared of them

jim77
03-30-2017, 07:13 AM
If SC has a weakness...it's their bigs. I hope GU goes inside early and often. I don't think we will light it up from 3...then again neither will they.

Is it me or does JW3 win every tip? Zags by 7.

MontanaCoyote
03-30-2017, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=MDABE80;1310092]I posted as I had been looking at their data which doesn't look so good. Also though, they've had lots of losses in the season.
But watching their games in the tournament, I'm not so sure..........talk about peaking at the right time. I'm glad I looked at their games. This WILL be a tough one to win.
I agree that Karno and a few others have looked "uninspired". Only 1 more game to go. We'd best come out breathing fire and mean it. They're not playing the pressing type defense to turn you over. Once into the 25 ft range, the muscling, the slapping and just quick on their feet hard defense begins.
This will be a hard fought game. Of course at this time of the years the best of the best show up.[/QUOTE

Looks can be deceiving. I find it impossible to believe that Karno isn't inspired. Absolutely impossible!

coolhandzag
03-30-2017, 08:05 AM
Is SC a good team. Yes. Are the peaking at the right time? Looks like it to me. Is SC the second coming of Grandmama, Stacey Augmon, the towel and Richie the Fixer? No.

The anxiety is wonderful. I hope it lasts.

JPtheBeasta
03-30-2017, 08:11 AM

I hope that the lightning in their bottle has fizzled out. They will go small against GU, so it will be their strength against ours. JW3 will again be the wild card, in my opinion. I also expect big moments from Silas and our bigs off the bench.

Reborn
03-30-2017, 08:15 AM
I hope that the lightning in their bottle has fizzled out. They will go small against GU, so it will be their strength against ours. JW3 will again be the wild card, in my opinion. I also expect big moments from Silas and our bigs off the bench.

J Williams has been unbelievable in this tournament and actually all year when we played a big game. He is the X factor both offensively and defensively. An amazing player with Super Power energy.

Go Zags!!!

CDC84
03-30-2017, 08:17 AM
I am not worried about the Zags "being satisfied" because of the nature of their opponent. Yes, I understand that SC is a good team. Yes, I understand they are on a massive role, and that they have beaten some really good teams so far in March.

But remember how Kansas looked against Oregon. Everyone was talking about how KU was looking so good that they could blow away the field. For the most part, March Madness isn't determined by momentum. It's a game by game deal.

SC is still a 7 seed for a reason. If the Zags were forced to play, say, a 36-1 Kentucky team with six future first rounders, then I might be scared by the "satisfaction" thing. Few and his boys have a great chance to win this game and get into the national title game.

I also don't feel this thing is going to be an all out war like the West VA game. But it is unlike any other zone the Zags have dealt with all season. Very active and filled with athletic players. Kind of reminds me of John Chaney's old teams at Temple when they were great.

It is critical that the Zags make Karno an impact player in this game. I am not saying that he needs to go for 26 pts and 9 assists. But he can't just become a non-entity like the West VA game.

And, again, if the Zags are somehow able to get themselves a nice 17 point cushion at the 14 minute mark in the 2nd half, no "prevent ball." Keep attacking. I mean don't do stupid things like shoot off the first pass with a contested three......The point is that SC is not going to give in until the final buzzer sounds.

JPtheBeasta
03-30-2017, 08:27 AM
J Williams has been unbelievable in this tournament and actually all year when we played a big game. He is the X factor both offensively and defensively. An amazing player with Super Power energy.

Go Zags!!!

I agree. He is so soft spoken that "speak softly and carry a big stick" comes to mind. I loved his breakout game when he took a hard foul or hard contact of some sort and played the rest of the game like he had a bee in his shorts (I can't remember the team it was against). We've had that guy all tournament and I hope to see him Saturday.

Go Zags! :)

raise the zag
03-30-2017, 08:32 AM
Frank Martin is the kind of Coach who can will mediocre teams play above their heads. He could walk into my office and say a few words and I'd probably be running suicides in the hall.

He's a motivational type of person -- a bit through fear/intimidation and a bit of his fiery attitude. It rubs off on his players.

They have come out of every half just guns a blazin'. Their 1st half stats have been hoe-hum, but they have been far and away the best 2nd half team in this Tournament. Scoring differential and defense.

That's the Coach, man.

South Carolina is too saavy to be blown out. They are the type of team to adjust. If they aren't making shots, they will force foul shots, etc. They play defense like man men, because their shooting can be suspect. For some reason, their bigs are actually performing well this Tournament.

We must limit them to the Thornwell show...and that's it.

raise the zag
03-30-2017, 08:40 AM
I thought this was well-put in the pregame media thread (link can be found there):

1. How will Gonzaga guard South Carolina’s perimeter stars?
Frank Martin’s team is led by two perimeter players with imposing physical maturity in senior Sindarius Thornwell (6-foot-5, 211 pounds) and sophomore PJ Dozier (6-foot-6, 205 pounds). South Carolina is a defensive-minded team that counts on the one-on-one abilities of its best players to carry it on offense. Thornwell’s and Dozier’s length means they can create shots when the offense breaks down, and they have the passing ability to find the open man if a double-team comes.

Gonzaga’s lack of length on the perimeter is its biggest weakness on defense. None of their four main guards — Nigel Williams-Goss, Jordan Mathews, Josh Perkins, and Silas Melson — is taller than 6-foot-4. The Bulldogs got around that problem against Xavier by putting Johnathan Williams, their hyper-athletic 6-foot-9 power forward, on the 6-foot-6 Trevon Bluiett, but the Musketeers started four perimeter players, which meant Gonzaga could cross-switch Williams on Bluiett without giving up size anywhere else. If Williams guards Thornwell, that leaves Perkins or Mathews at a disadvantage guarding one of South Carolina’s big men, not to mention Dozier still towering over whoever guards him.

What Gonzaga coach Mark Few could do to minimize those matchups is pack the paint and dare the Gamecocks to shoot, since neither of their big men (sophomore Chris Silva and freshman Maik Kotsar) has made a 3-pointer this season, and Dozier is a 29.7 percent shooter from deep. In order to get more shooting on the floor, Martin often slides Thornwell (who boasts a 6-foot-9 wingspan) to power forward and brings in another guard (either senior Justin McKie or freshman Rakym Felder). Expect South Carolina to go small on Saturday to open up the floor against Gonzaga.

I share similar concerns. Xavier playing their biggest guard and star at PF played right into our hands. Karno/Collins defended their 1 post, and J3 is quick/good/athletic/big enough to guard a large playmaker like X had at PF

S.C. plays their 6'6", 220lb star at SG and SF, and employ 1 6'9" PF, 1 6'9" C.

Forcing J3 and PK and ZC to guard their respective positions.

One of our guard trio will be assigned to Thornwell for much of the game. That is a mis-match. In favor of S.C.

Maybe we see some Rui for defensive purposes? Or Tillie at SF? Again, to stop him.

Any guard that has attempted to play Thornwell one on one has been beaten into oblivion. There is NO team better that uses their size and strength on the perimeter better than Gamecocks.

In some ways they are bigger, stronger version of Xavier, but with one more legit post player. Xavier had almost no one.

This game present more mis-matches than any we've played since, maybe Arizona, except South Carolina isn't a bunch of freshman as they are -- they are grown men.

This excerpt above captures my greatest concern.

DixieZag
03-30-2017, 09:07 AM
I like the realistic assessment. I also like what is excerpted in your article, the idea of sitting back in the paint and inviting a poor 3 point shooting team to start dropping 3s in some weird environment. If they prove they can do it, then maybe adjust to one of the things you mentioned.

But, to me, a team without anyone shooting above 35% from 3, and in the new environment, the thing to initially attempt is to pack everybody in, kind of like what South Dakota State did to us (rather effectively).

Oh, and the other thing about the write ups that make this horrific case about how tough it'll be to guard them, I like thinking about how it is their 2 not all that big men are going to stop Karno, Collins, Williams and Tillie. :)

Hoopaholic
03-30-2017, 09:31 AM
I thought this was well-put in the pregame media thread (link can be found there):

I share similar concerns. Xavier playing their biggest guard and star at PF played right into our hands. Karno/Collins defended their 1 post, and J3 is quick/good/athletic/big enough to guard a large playmaker like X had at PF

One of our guard trio will be assigned to Thornwell for much of the game. That is a mis-match. In favor of S.C.

Maybe we see some Rui for defensive purposes? Or Tillie at SF? Again, to stop him.

Any guard that has attempted to play Thornwell one on one has been beaten into oblivion. There is NO team better that uses their size and strength on the perimeter better than Gamecocks.

In some ways they are bigger, stronger version of Xavier, but with one more legit post player. Xavier had almost no one.

This game present more mis-matches than any we've played since, maybe Arizona, except South Carolina isn't a bunch of freshman as they are -- they are grown men.

thus our 3-2 or 1-2-2 zone allows for protection of the dribble penetration, provides close out so you dont get wide open looks, provides for dedicated box out responsiblities (remember we have had 4 days to align SC offense schemes to our defense so the team knows which lanes to ensure box out occurs in generality for SC and they offensive sets)

Zagricultural
03-30-2017, 09:34 AM
I would like to see a couple runs with JW3, Tillie, and Collins all on the floor simultaneously. JW3 could stay on Thornwell.

MontanaCoyote
03-30-2017, 09:49 AM

"Tough Enough!" Take nothing for granted. The World Owes Us Nothing! We have more talent but I think attitude wins this game. They want it bad. We have to want it more.

TexasZagFan
03-30-2017, 10:02 AM
I like the realistic assessment. I also like what is excerpted in your article, the idea of sitting back in the paint and inviting a poor 3 point shooting team to start dropping 3s in some weird environment. If they prove they can do it, then maybe adjust to one of the things you mentioned.

But, to me, a team without anyone shooting above 35% from 3, and in the new environment, the thing to initially attempt is to pack everybody in, kind of like what South Dakota State did to us (rather effectively).

Oh, and the other thing about the write ups that make this horrific case about how tough it'll be to guard them, I like thinking about how it is their 2 not all that big men are going to stop Karno, Collins, Williams and Tillie. :)

I'm recalling the Akron game. Our bigs wore him out, though he acquitted himself well under the circumstances. I suspect SC's bigs are in better condition.

TexasZagFan
03-30-2017, 10:06 AM
thus our 3-2 or 1-2-2 zone allows for protection of the dribble penetration, provides close out so you dont get wide open looks, provides for dedicated box out responsiblities (remember we have had 4 days to align SC offense schemes to our defense so the team knows which lanes to ensure box out occurs in generality for SC and they offensive sets)

Our game preparation this year has been nothing short of superb. Had to be one of the tipping points that brought these young men here. Can't recall which game it was (AZ), but Zach was quoted after the game as saying (paraphrased), "they did nothing that was unexpected, our coaching staff prepared us perfectly for the game."

I'm as nervous as most, but it's more of anticipation than anything else. I can't wait to see what Few has designed for the Gamecocks.

titopoet
03-30-2017, 10:37 AM

I think the gamecocks are great. Also, I think this Zag team are a outstanding team. It comes down to match ups and I think Zags have too much firepower in the frontcourt. If the guards can keep the Gamecocks honest by hitting some 3s, it will be a long game for them.

demian
03-30-2017, 11:19 AM
I agree. He is so soft spoken that "speak softly and carry a big stick" comes to mind. I loved his breakout game when he took a hard foul or hard contact of some sort and played the rest of the game like he had a bee in his shorts (I can't remember the team it was against). We've had that guy all tournament and I hope to see him Saturday.

Go Zags! :)

If my memory serves me correct was it AT Pacific University the 1st time we played them this year. That guy kind of like fouled jw3 really hard in his face and jw3 was ticked off big Time and just tore Pacific up the rest of the game

Ezag
03-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Protect the 3 and we will win! They are tough and we are tough. We are deeper

Zaga
03-30-2017, 11:44 AM
SC is going to have to play another stellar game to have a chance to win. I think our Zag's will carry the day. SC may be forced to foul in order to keep it close but do they have enough bench to play with ours? I seriously doubt it. Either way I will be watching with pride as they compete for a chance at the NC. It's all gravy for me at this point. Go Zag's

#runthetable

zaguarxj
03-30-2017, 11:50 AM

None of the Zags' guards are over 6'4" (except Jones and Alberts), but none of them are under 6'3" either. They're not really that small.

TexasZagFan
03-30-2017, 12:05 PM

That's been my mantra the entire year. We can't be beaten when the other team can only score from inside the arc. Our offense is too efficient for that.

Hoopaholic
03-30-2017, 02:22 PM

I guess I dont see that as the issue in this game........they are not good at the three ball and much better off the bounce

protect the drive, cover out on three ball is my mantra for this particular game

Hoopaholic
03-30-2017, 02:23 PM
That's been my mantra the entire year. We can't be beaten when the other team can only score from inside the arc. Our offense is too efficient for that.

but our offense wont be efficient if we dont protect against the drive (and thus open ourselves up to foul trouble)

gobroncsgozags
03-30-2017, 02:41 PM
but our offense wont be efficient if we dont protect against the drive (and thus open ourselves up to foul trouble)

Unless the officials are terribly one-sided (no reason to think they'd be), if we get into foul trouble, they will be in worse foul trouble. They like to rough up the game to make up for deficiencies while the Zags play with true defensive skill (I know I am a homer saying it this way, but man it is a thing of beauty this year). If the refs call the game like it should be called, their vaunted defense goes away.

BlufftonGamecock
03-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Gamecock fan here. I think that this is going to be a defensive battle to the end. I don't think either team gets to 70 points. For us we need Silva to not get into foul trouble, which he has had a tendency to do, to stand a chance. Thornwell and Dozier can keep us in the game but if we are going to have a chance under the board we need Silva in the game. I look forward to a great game against you guys.

RenoZag
03-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the GUB, Bluffton.

BlufftonGamecock
03-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Thanks. I look forward to what I think is going to be a great game.

former1dog
03-30-2017, 02:59 PM
Thanks. I look forward to what I think is going to be a great game.

I'll second the welcome wagon. Good luck to your team, but not too much luck. :)

demian
03-30-2017, 06:04 PM

I agree 100%. Plus SC will take thornwell and post him up isolation style right on the low block when we are in man to man like he did ALL SECOND HALF vs Florida.

Reborn
03-30-2017, 06:59 PM
I agree 100%. Plus SC will take thornwell and post him up isolation style right on the low block when we are in man to man like he did ALL SECOND HALF vs Florida.

I wouldn't be surprised to see J Williams guarding Thornwell. He guarded that really good player for Xavier. Williams-Goss also has good size and strength to guard him some also. Florida did not have anyone on their team who could make it hard for Thornwell to score. The size of Florida was really a problem.

Go Zags!!!

JPtheBeasta
03-30-2017, 07:09 PM
If my memory serves me correct was it AT Pacific University the 1st time we played them this year. That guy kind of like fouled jw3 really hard in his face and jw3 was ticked off big Time and just tore Pacific up the rest of the game

Sounds right to me. Thanks.

jim77
03-30-2017, 08:34 PM

It also keeps our key guys out of foul trouble. The dumbest thing we could do is play man defense....we need to zone them and make them shoot 3's..PERIOD.

Goshzagit
03-30-2017, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see J Williams guarding Thornwell. He guarded that really good player for Xavier. Williams-Goss also has good size and strength to guard him some also. Florida did not have anyone on their team who could make it hard for Thornwell to score. The size of Florida was really a problem.

Go Zags!!!

If J3 guards thornwell, then one of the guards would have to guard a 6'9" guy.

S.C. goes 6'2", 6'6", 6'6", 6'9", 6'10".

They are exacty like Xavier, in that they have huge backcourt, yet SC has two legit post players while Xavier only had one.

South Carolina has 2 6'9" guys who come off the bench too.

Goshzagit
03-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Coach Martin's interesting quote on players being distracted by ticket seeking acquaintances:

"I had to take all their suggestions, which the funny part is the biggest distraction for both, and neither one knew that they had said this to me, was dealing with the tickets. That was the biggest distraction. Keep people away from your players -- family members, everybody, because of tickets. Deal with it early in the week. Put a deadline, and once the deadline's over it's over. You've got to move away from it. And I thought that was great advice, because that is, for kids, that is the biggest distraction. And then we've talked a lot. I tell kids all the time, the hardest thing in life is saying no to people you love."

https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/mbb-press-conference-recap.228093/

We speak about what we have to do to win. That's what we talk about every single day. I said don't be the guy that doesn't do their job to prevent us from having an opportunity of staying here until Monday night. Focus in on doing your job. And at the end of the day our job is not good enough, nothing to be ashamed of. But we're not playing the arena. We're not playing the tournament. We're not playing the Final Four. We're playing Gonzaga."

MDABE80
03-31-2017, 12:22 AM
Sidarius Thornwell is the head of the snake. SC has nothing but trouble without him. He's the one guy to be stopped. If J3 can handle him, fine . If not, use two guys.
Their offense begins and ends with him. He's the big ppg guy and he's a great rebounder and passer. He runs the team..

If he can be held down and we make our shots, I'm sure we win this. Our defense won't fail.

Dunk Master
03-31-2017, 04:56 AM
Sidarius Thornwell is the head of the snake. SC has nothing but trouble without him. He's the one guy to be stopped. If J3 can handle him, fine . If not, use two guys.
Their offense begins and ends with him. He's the big ppg guy and he's a great rebounder and passer. He runs the team..

If he can be held down and we make our shots, I'm sure we win this. Our defense won't fail.

A double will collapse in the paint on Thornwell it would be a mistake to try and double him the whole game. Play solid man D and we should be fine

Zagdawg
03-31-2017, 05:38 AM
https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/847803936627073024

willandi
03-31-2017, 05:53 AM
Sweep his legs!

Sweep his legs Sensei?

Zagdawg
03-31-2017, 07:09 AM
How tough is South Carolina -- let me tell you what I have heard:

South Carolina basketball once fought superman. The loser had to wear their underwear over their pants.

South Carolina basketball doesn't worry about high gas prices. Their vehicles run on fear alone.

There once was a street called South Carolina basketball, but the name was changed for public safety because nobody crosses South Carolina basketball and lives.

South Carolina basketball has a diary. It's called the Guinness Book of World Records.

South Carolina basketball makes fire by rubbing 2 ice cubes together.

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed... unless it meets South Carolina basketball.

South Carolina basketball counted to infinity. Twice.

South Carolina basketball can kill two stones with one bird.

When a zombie apocalypse starts, South Carolina basketball doesn't try to survive. The zombies do.

Cars look both ways before South Carolina basketball crosses the street.

South Carolina basketball can make a happy meal cry.

South Carolina basketball doesn't cheat death. They win fair and square.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for South Carolina basketball.

South Carolina basketball makes onions cry.

Death once had a near-South-Carolina-basketball experience.

South Carolina basketball is the reason Waldo is hiding.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2017, 07:35 AM
How tough is South Carolina -- let me tell you what I have heard:

South Carolina basketball once fought superman. The loser had to wear their underwear over their pants.

South Carolina basketball doesn't worry about high gas prices. Their vehicles run on fear alone.

There once was a street called South Carolina basketball, but the name was changed for public safety because nobody crosses South Carolina basketball and lives.

South Carolina basketball has a diary. It's called the Guinness Book of World Records.

South Carolina basketball makes fire by rubbing 2 ice cubes together.

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed... unless it meets South Carolina basketball.

South Carolina basketball counted to infinity. Twice.

South Carolina basketball can kill two stones with one bird.

When a zombie apocalypse starts, South Carolina basketball doesn't try to survive. The zombies do.

Cars look both ways before South Carolina basketball crosses the street.

South Carolina basketball can make a happy meal cry.

South Carolina basketball doesn't cheat death. They win fair and square.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for South Carolina basketball.

South Carolina basketball makes onions cry.

Death once had a near-South-Carolina-basketball experience.

South Carolina basketball is the reason Waldo is hiding.

South Carolina is the only state Chuck Norris has not set foot in...out of fear for his life.