PDA

View Full Version : Here is a Good Measure of How Far the Program Has Come

Zags_Fanatic
03-29-2017, 01:01 PM
I was posting on another site and remembered a story from Tales from the Gonzaga Hardwood by Dave Boling that serves as a reminder of how far this program has come. I posted the pages there so it seemed appropriate to post it here is well. Here is the story about the coaches recruiting budget in the beginning and how they were able to survive on $200 over a 30 day trip:

BUDDY CAN YOU SPARE A COUCH?

Mark Few swears this is true. In the lean years, when the recruiting budget amounted to pocket change and bus tokens, Zag assistants on the road used to not only scout players...but also recruiters from other schools.

If they could find a buddy from a better-funded program, they'd see if they could bunk in with them to save hotel costs.

"That happened all the time..90 percent of the time, " Few Said. "If they had two beds or a couch, you'd see if they'd let you stay with them. We did it ALL the time. We used to sleep in the car, too."

The other "cost-saving" tool the Zags used, without great positive effect, was the storage of a broken-down Ford Tempo at the house of Fitzgerald's brother, Jim, in San Jose, which the coaches used instead of getting a rental car.

"That thing was such a pain; it had a 30-minute rule, " Few said. "Every time I got in it, it would run for 30 minutes and then, like clockwork, would stand you wherever you were at that moment. It was awful."

Did Fitzgerald, also the Athletic Director, mandate the chronic mooching? "Well, what else were you going to do?" Few asked. "You'd go on the road for 30 days and he'd give you $200. It didn't take long to do the math."

adoptedzag
03-29-2017, 03:06 PM
I was posting on another site and remembered a story from Tales from the Gonzaga Hardwood by Dave Boling that serves as a reminder of how far this program has come. I posted the pages there so it seemed appropriate to post it here is well. Here is the story about the coaches recruiting budget in the beginning and how they were able to survive on $200 over a 30 day trip:

LOL was that you posting on Reddit? I was literally just reading that thread.

Zags_Fanatic
03-29-2017, 04:15 PM
LOL was that you posting on Reddit? I was literally just reading that thread.

Yeah, that was me. Wasn't sure if that dude was doubting or curious. Glad I remembered the source.