PDA

View Full Version : On Maintaining Lofty Standards

TexasZagFan
03-29-2017, 09:39 AM
...may we never fall to this level, I cannot even comprehend it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/referee-john-higgins-is-receiving-death-threats-from-kentucky-fans-155418522.html

Referee John Higgins is receiving death threats from Kentucky fans

Higgins said in that SI piece that he doesn’t pay attention to the things said about him online because it’d be impossible for him to maintain his sanity.

But Kentucky fans have made that nearly impossible this week, flooding his roofing business’ Facebook page with fake reviews and continuing to criticize the crew’s performance, particularly during the first half of Sunday’s game. De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk and Bam Adebayo all found themselves in foul trouble with two early fouls.

Kentucky coach John Calipari didn’t help matters by targeting Higgins and his colleagues in the postgame news conference.

“You know, it’s amazing that we were in that game where they practically fouled out my team,” Calipari said on Sunday. “Amazing that we had a chance.”

Kudos to De'Aaron Fox:

Interestingly, the person who has the most sane approach to this issue is one of the players who was affected the most. Despite being devastated after the loss, De’Aaron Fox refused to scapegoat.

“I’m not blaming the officials, man,” Fox told reporters. “We’ve been in foul trouble before. We’ve won games when we were in foul trouble. It’s tougher playing a team like North Carolina, and doing it.

“But we had a chance to win.”

sittingon50
03-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Very sad.

John is one of the premier officials in the NCAA & a really down to earth guy. He does not act "big-time" at all.

Zagger
03-29-2017, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't call the miscreants fans. Fans benefit a team.

tinfoilzag
03-29-2017, 10:51 AM
...may we never fall to this level, I cannot even comprehend it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/referee-john-higgins-is-receiving-death-threats-from-kentucky-fans-155418522.html

Referee John Higgins is receiving death threats from Kentucky fans

This is an epidemic facing our country's culture. This thinking is based on 3 fallicies:

1. Life is fair
2. I can't be at fault, therefore, the fault must lie with someone else
3. Vengeance = Justice (Violence is justified if someone hurts your feelings)

The worst part about this epidemic is it doesn't let you improve. In order to improve you must see your mistakes and work to not repeat them. When you constantly blame someone else when things don't go your way, you can't grow.

GU failed to get to the FF 16 straight times. Every year's failure had to be accepted so the program could improve and get to where we are today.

LongIslandZagFan
03-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Another reason why I hate Kentucky fans more than Duke fans.

BayAreaZagFan
03-29-2017, 11:49 AM
That is pretty bad, but it seems to happen enough that it's not shocking to hear that type of story. I would hope that it would never happen here, but the more successful and popular the program becomes, the more fringe fans will be attracted to it, and the possibility of something like that will definitely increase.

As far as our fans in general, I'd like to think that the current Gonzaga fan base is made up of nothing but kind, humble, well-informed individuals who respectfully celebrate the victories and graciously accept the losses, but I'm sure there's more than a few a-holes out there wearing a Zags t-shirt right now. We all know fans of other teams that take the games just a little too seriously, epitomizing the extreme examples of being an obnoxious winner or a sore loser - let's hope the ones that root for our favorite team that are like that are few and far between.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2017, 12:06 PM
That is pretty bad, but it seems to happen enough that it's not shocking to hear that type of story. I would hope that it would never happen here, but the more successful and popular the program becomes, the more fringe fans will be attracted to it, and the possibility of something like that will definitely increase.

As far as our fans in general, I'd like to think that the current Gonzaga fan base is made up of nothing but kind, humble, well-informed individuals who respectfully celebrate the victories and graciously accept the losses, but I'm sure there's more than a few a-holes out there wearing a Zags t-shirt right now. We all know fans of other teams that take the games just a little too seriously, epitomizing the extreme examples of being an obnoxious winner or a sore loser - let's hope the ones that root for our favorite team that are like that are few and far between.

Speaking only for myself, the only times I've seen the Zags live since graduating have been road or neutral sites. We've made those trips, dating as far back as the Wyoming game in the Pit. Over the past ten years, we've journeyed near (SMU) and far (Nashville and Memphis) and in-between (Tulsa, OKC, Stillwater, Houston, and Wichita). One simply does not venture into these arenas with the same expectation of a victory as at the MAC. We get rowdy, but we keep it clean, and we do our best to properly represent GU. It has greatly frustrated my youngest son, who in the aftermath of the loss to Duke, asked "why do we always lose the games we go to?"

The only Zag victory he had experienced up to that point was the big win against OSU. Nashville was really sweet, especially for him. By way of answering his question, I stressed the joy I get out of experiencing Zag road trips with my family, and it didn't get any better than Nashville, down to Big D's attack on the pancake machine every morning. lol

The Albuquerque trip was a blast, despite the loss to the Cowboys. My oldest son (then in middle school, he'll be 28 in a few weeks) and I took a few days to travel the area, and visited out of the way sites like Billy the Kid's grave.

I'm in the Mark Few camp: Zag basketball is a journey, not a destination. Going to games in destinations where you might be outnumbered 15,000 to 300 helps one to maintain perspective...lol.

Zagger
03-29-2017, 12:57 PM
.............I'm in the Mark Few camp: Zag basketball is a journey, not a destination. Going to games in destinations where you might be outnumbered 15,000 to 300 helps one to maintain perspective...lol.

The Mrs & I are both retiring within ..... dang, only 3 months left! :) For next BB season we hope to hit a few away Zags games - do what you, TZF, seem to be doing ... combine the game with other area attractions. Spokane will be home and San Diego, for awhile anyway, will be a home away from home. We'll proudly be wearing our Zag gear and hoot it up with others in the Zag Nation. Maybe we'll run into you!

TexasZagFan
03-29-2017, 01:03 PM
The Mrs & I are both retiring within ..... dang, only 3 months left! :) For next BB season we hope to hit a few away Zags games - do what you, TZF, seem to be doing ... combine the game with other area attractions. Spokane will be home and San Diego, for awhile anyway, will be a home away from home. We'll proudly be wearing our Zag gear and hoot it up with others in the Zag Nation. Maybe we'll run into you!

If the Zags resume the series with SMU, I'll take the week off and set up a few alumni & friends activities.