PDA

View Full Version : Oregon wanted Mark Few, got Dana Altman; it worked out for both

Zagdawg
03-29-2017, 06:47 AM
"he told Few: “You will never ever get to the Final Four at Gonzaga.”

“I just wasn’t feeling it,” Few told journalist Bud Withers, as detailed in Withers’ book, Glory Hounds. “I never, ever felt that job was better than (Gonzaga).”
Said Kilkenny: “He felt he had a better job. Then it got a little bit aggressive,” and he added, “I got a little obnoxious.”

http://www.kgw.com/mb/sports/ncaa/ducks/oregon-wanted-mark-few-got-dana-altman-everyone-is-happy-and-in-final-four/426297260

realtydog
03-29-2017, 07:37 AM
I know the article was a "fell good story"---but it had to feel pretty damn good to text Pat and say .... final four bee-yotch....mic drop (ok, my vision...not what happened i'm sure)

Zagger
03-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Good story .... I hope the two teams meet Monday evening!
Go Zags! Go Oregon too!

zagdontzig
03-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Good story .... I hope the two teams meet Monday evening!
Go Zags! Go Oregon too!

This is really what I want. It would be fantastic to have a decidedly-west coast final.

MJ777
03-29-2017, 12:28 PM
This is really what I want. It would be fantastic to have a decidedly-west coast final.

And most Husky fans would go out of their minds.

gonzagafan62
03-29-2017, 12:30 PM
And most Husky fans would go out of their minds.

Too bad

CDC84
03-29-2017, 12:45 PM
In all due respect to Kilkenny, when he said that Gonzaga would never make the final 4 under Few, that probably completely ended it with Few. There's no reputable basketball person that I am aware of, with the talent that Few was starting to bring in, that would say such a thing. The 2008/09 team's top 7 players were all top 100 players. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I mean, if George Mason can make it......

And sure enough, despite Kilkenny's claim, and despite Knight's backing and the new arena, Oregon didn't spend as much money on its men's basketball team as Gonzaga did last season. Didn't make as much program revenue or profit as well. It's still mainly about football.

Despite how good Creighton was under Altman, as the article says, they were unable to get the Austin Daye, Josh Heytvelt, Matt Bouldin type recruits. The genius with Altman was that he was getting it done with players, for the most part, that weren't being recruited by Oregon.

What the article also didn't mention is what I'm sure played a big part in Few's rejection of Oregon: it is never a good idea to work under one of your best friends. I don't care what field your in. Business books that you can buy at Barnes & Noble or check out of your public library advise against it. It often leads to the business folding and the friendship splintering. If your equal partners? Different deal, but even that can be complicated.

zagdontzig
03-29-2017, 01:49 PM
In all due respect to Kilkenny, when he said that Gonzaga would never make the final 4 under Few, that probably completely ended it with Few. There's no reputable basketball person that I am aware of, with the talent that Few was starting to bring in, that would say such a thing. The 2008/09 team's top 7 players were all top 100 players. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I mean, if George Mason can make it......

And sure enough, despite Kilkenny's claim, and despite Knight's backing and the new arena, Oregon didn't spend as much money on its men's basketball team as Gonzaga did last season. Didn't make as much program revenue or profit as well. It's still mainly about football.

Despite how good Creighton was under Altman, as the article says, they were unable to get the Austin Daye, Josh Heytvelt, Matt Bouldin type recruits. The genius with Altman was that he was getting it done with players, for the most part, that weren't being recruited by Oregon.

What the article also didn't mention is what I'm sure played a big part in Few's rejection of Oregon: it is never a good idea to work under one of your best friends. I don't care what field your in. Business books that you can buy at Barnes & Noble or check out of your public library advise against it. It often leads to the business folding and the friendship splintering. If your equal partners? Different deal, but even that can be complicated.

While we've spent a lot on the men's program, it strikes me GU's spending is somewhat aimed at protecting high application and enrollment figures, where Oregon is established enough that it can weather a few unsuccessful sports seasons.

Also just making the argument as an excuse to post this article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119205/how-the-basketball-program-helped-gonzaga-university-flourish

CDC84
03-29-2017, 02:15 PM
It's truly an amazing story......