• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Parents and College/NBA for their kids

We have seen all different aspects of parental involvement with the college and NBA process for young players -- most recently in the Ball family--- but there are numerous other examples.

So the question is how much is too much?

A great example (in my opinion) was Sabonis ---- but he had 2 brothers that did not get the opportunity to play in college and they really felt that they missed out. Sabonis Sr. was willing to let Domas have the time to play and say when he was ready to go. They obviously did not need the money -- and Domas was able to get some great experience and enjoy a lifelong bond with Spokane, Gonzaga and the players here in the program.

Lifelong dream -- need to support the family -- don't want an injury----there are many reasons to jump early just as there are many reasons to stay (build maturity, develop their game--top 20 pick to a top 10 pick, become educated) ---but at what point does the parent become a challenge to the process rather than a supporter (living vicariously through their kids --like it seems Ball is)?

Many of us feel one way as fans, also a different way if we were in the parents shoes---- and some on the board have even lived it.

Thoughts?
  • MontanaCoyote
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
    We have seen all different aspects of parental involvement with the college and NBA process for young players -- most recently in the Ball family--- but there are numerous other examples.

So the question is how much is too much?

A great example (in my opinion) was Sabonis ---- but he had 2 brothers that did not get the opportunity to play in college and they really felt that they missed out. Sabonis Sr. was willing to let Domas have the time to play and say when he was ready to go. They obviously did not need the money -- and Domas was able to get some great experience and enjoy a lifelong bond with Spokane, Gonzaga and the players here in the program.

Lifelong dream -- need to support the family -- don't want an injury----there are many reasons to jump early just as there are many reasons to stay (build maturity, develop their game--top 20 pick to a top 10 pick, become educated) ---but at what point does the parent become a challenge to the process rather than a supporter (living vicariously through their kids --like it seems Ball is)?

Many of us feel one way as fans, also a different way if we were in the parents shoes---- and some on the board have even lived it.

Thoughts?
    I guess that as a parent I would ask/tell? my kid to get all the advice he could get from people he trusted. I would stay out of it unless he came to me and asked to talk it over AFTER he had a lot of other advice under his belt.

I'm assuming here that the kid is at least generally thought of as "ready" for pro ball and that the family is relatively secure financially. If my family wasn't financially secure AND my kid came and asked me what I thought after getting advice from
    others he trusted, I would probably ASK/recommend him 1. To go pro, 2. Help the family out, and 3. Never stop thinking about going back to school.

To be completely honest, if my family was in tough financial shape I'd probably not do any of the above and plead with he kid to go pro. Living on the edge or below ain't no piece of cake and you've got to do what you've got to do. Hard to turn down the chance to live the good life.

Comment

• Ekrub
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2009

Cowherd listed out all of the parents of 'star' athletes.... almost all had alpha overpowering types of fathers.

Comment

Working...
      X