PDA

View Full Version : Crowd on Saturday

zagsfanforlife
03-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Do we expect a more pro SC crowd or GU crowd on Saturday?

Will the NC fans be rooting for SC? I assume so?

Will the same be for Oregon fans rooting for us?

Thoughts?

rennis
03-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Do we expect a more pro SC crowd or GU crowd on Saturday?

Will the NC fans be rooting for SC? I assume so?

Will the same be for Oregon fans rooting for us?

Thoughts?

There will be at least one Duck rooting for the Zags, and at least one Zag rooting for the Ducks. As I am a Zag and my traveling partner is a Duck and we shall support one another on this day.

zagsfanforlife
03-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Neil Everett will be rooting for both. He must be in heaven

CDC84
03-27-2017, 07:46 PM
There probably won't be a major advantage for either team. I just want to know how many Kennel Clubbers are going. They get to sit behind the baskets and create all sorts of mayhem. There are a ton of seats for the students. Please Kennel Club, go if you can afford it! It's tough to know. I mean, North Carolina travels exceptionally well, but how many of their students can afford to get to Phoenix? This isn't the kind of deal where nearby universities can hire buses to ship the kids to the site like in years past. This is why Indianapolis is such a great site for the F4. So many nearby big time basketball colleges are within driving distance. I know one college basketball writer who ardently feels the final 4 should be held in Indy every single year. It's the headquarters of the NCAA, the stadium is in the downtown area nearby gazillions of hotels, it's a basketball crazy state, it would allow the NCAA to find ways of continuing to improve the event without having to worry about different sites, etc. Other NCAA sports hold their championships in the same place. Why not basketball? No saying I agree, but it isn't an argument without some points.

rennis
03-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Neil Everett will be rooting for both. He must be in heaven

great call

Zagceo
03-27-2017, 07:52 PM
How'd Zag crowd look and sound on TV Saturday? Forgot to set DVR.

Zagceo
03-27-2017, 07:54 PM
There probably won't be a major advantage for either team. I just want to know how many Kennel Clubbers are going. They get to sit behind the baskets and create all sorts of mayhem. There are a ton of seats for the students. Please Kennel Club, go if you can afford it! It's tough to know. I mean, North Carolina travels exceptionally well, but how many of their students can afford to get to Phoenix? This isn't the kind of deal where nearby universities can hire buses to ship the kids to the site like in years past. This is why Indianapolis is such a great site for the F4. So many nearby big time basketball colleges are within driving distance. I know one college basketball writer who ardently feels the final 4 should be held in Indy every single year. It's the headquarters of the NCAA, the stadium is in the downtown area nearby gazillions of hotels, it's a basketball crazy state, it would allow the NCAA to find ways of continuing to improve the event without having to worry about different sites, etc. Other NCAA sports hold their championships in the same place. Why not basketball? No saying I agree, but it isn't an argument without some points.

And ticket prices averaged $1200 per for Indy final.......

MTZag03
03-27-2017, 07:55 PM
I'm predicting pro SC crowds. We will be rooted against unless it's UNC in the championship. That said there should be heavy institutional pressure from the top down allowing students who want to go to be able to go. The alumni will be there.

sylean
03-27-2017, 07:57 PM
sooo, making it more difficult for virtually the entire west to get there is a good thing to you?....how about someplace smack in the middle of the country?..

sylean
03-27-2017, 07:58 PM
mostly not in red.....so hard to tell how many....

Qhall43
03-27-2017, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=CDC84;1309232]There probably won't be a major advantage for either team. I just want to know how many Kennel Clubbers are going. They get to sit behind the baskets and create all sorts of mayhem. There are a ton of seats for the students. Please Kennel Club, go if you can afford it! It's tough to know. I mean, North Carolina travels exceptionally well, but how many of their students can afford to get to Phoenix?

Gonzaga was allocated 700 tickets for students. They sold out in under 5 minutes. My understanding is a lot of students who already had their travel planned are now scrambling for other ticket options. A lot of students making the road trip and a few hotels that may be exceeding the fire marshall's approved capacity. Expect a strong showing by the students.

Zagceo
03-27-2017, 08:06 PM
I just heard Colin Cowherd say that NCAA ratings are up over 35% from last year....

surprised?

Birddog
03-28-2017, 05:28 AM
I just heard Colin Cowherd say that NCAA ratings are up over 35% from last year....

surprised?

Wow, I find that surprising given the number of articles written about the Tournament being boring this year and that is a huuuge number! I think CBS execs probably want an East vs West final, A PNW or SE final would probably hurt ratings

DixieZag
03-28-2017, 05:50 AM
Wow, I find that surprising given the number of articles written about the Tournament being boring this year and that is a huuuge number! I think CBS execs probably want an East vs West final, A PNW or SE final would probably hurt ratings

I am speculating, but I wonder if it's due to the fact that much of the country without a specific rooting interest, or whose school got beat in the first round, are not intrigued by the prospect of another Duke, Kansas, UNC, UCLA final four, just kind of boring to always have the same teams in. This year with us, Oregon, South Carolina, there are some different faces making noise.

Again, just a theory.

LongIslandZagFan
03-28-2017, 05:59 AM
I am going against the grain. If Zags make the final game especially against UNC... ratings are likely going be fairly high. There are tons of periphery Zag fans out there. People that always picked them in pools... see them as that little engine that could... but don't necessarily follow the team as a major fan. These folks who might normally not really care... they are going to watch to see if GU can win it all.

basketballzag
03-28-2017, 06:56 AM
I am going against the grain. If Zags make the final game especially against UNC... ratings are likely going be fairly high. There are tons of periphery Zag fans out there. People that always picked them in pools... see them as that little engine that could... but don't necessarily follow the team as a major fan. These folks who might normally not really care... they are going to watch to see if GU can win it all.

CBS will market the game as a David (Gonzaga) versus Goliath (North Carolina) game due to P5/non-P5 designations. If Gonzaga actually can beat USC which will be an uphill climb.

rennis
03-28-2017, 07:07 AM

I also believe in this and that the narrative and the reality of the championship game would be closely married. As much as I would like to see a PNW championship game, I think the best possible outcome for college basketball would be GU vs. UNC in the final.

That said: Just beat Carolina!

willandi
03-28-2017, 07:15 AM

I agree. I think that most of the Jesuit schools would back the Zags, the WCC shouls, along with the WAC and Mountain West. Against SC, I think the PAC12 fans will be pro Zag.

I also think most hold true unless Oregon beats UNC and plays the Zags. Some of the PAC12 might switch to them, but I don't think it would be all.

Reborn
03-28-2017, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=CDC84;1309232]There probably won't be a major advantage for either team. I just want to know how many Kennel Clubbers are going. They get to sit behind the baskets and create all sorts of mayhem. There are a ton of seats for the students. Please Kennel Club, go if you can afford it! It's tough to know. I mean, North Carolina travels exceptionally well, but how many of their students can afford to get to Phoenix?

Gonzaga was allocated 700 tickets for students. They sold out in under 5 minutes. My understanding is a lot of students who already had their travel planned are now scrambling for other ticket options. A lot of students making the road trip and a few hotels that may be exceeding the fire marshall's approved capacity. Expect a strong showing by the students.

I am so happy to hear this and I felt there would be lots of Zag fans in Phoenix, and they WILL be LOUD. I read that Zag fans in San Jose were really loud and there was a lot of noise in that arena. It was kind of hard to tell on TV. I believe the fans support there did help the Zags. And in the Final Four, if we can beat So Carolina, the Zags will be that "little engine that could" once again. Like I've said, Fans Do Matter, and do Make a Difference.

Go Zags!!!

Zag_Dad
03-28-2017, 07:29 AM
I agree. I think that most of the Jesuit schools would back the Zags, the WCC shouls, along with the WAC and Mountain West. Against SC, I think the PAC12 fans will be pro Zag.

I also think most hold true unless Oregon beats UNC and plays the Zags. Some of the PAC12 might switch to them, but I don't think it would be all.

I'm pretty sure Gonzaga will be well represented. My kids (one alum the other a senior) are headed down with friends. All 700 student tickets were sold in less than a minute. The alum are buying tickets on second hand market and have are treating the trip like a mini reunion with class mates from all over the country.
All flights out of Seattle and Spokane to anywhere near Phoenix have been sold out for weeks. Delta airlines just opened up a new flight from Seattle to Phoenix. I imagine that will be sold out quickly. Hoping Alaska Airlines will also open another flight. After all, there just might be a few people from, the North West flying down to Phoenix with both Gonzaga and Oregon playing in the FF.

I'm betting the Oregon crowd will be cheering for GU in the FF and that a majority of the Arizona fans will also be on the Gonzaga bandwagon. It's a west coast solidarity thing.

GO ZAGS!

ZagOD7540
03-28-2017, 07:31 AM
How'd Zag crowd look and sound on TV Saturday? Forgot to set DVR.

FYI-I just saw that Directv Channel 221 (CBSports) is replaying all the Zag tourney games throughout the day.

GUinSTL
03-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Let me throw this out to those in the know: Villanova would theoretically not be a huge draw for an NCAA Championship game, but it turned out to be one of the greatest games of all time. Shame on anybody who missed it! :) Small Augustinian school (and my alma mater '03, no less!) taking on the (baby) bluest of blue bloods. Question - Was that a good day for the NCAA and CBS, or not?

Now, how poetic would it be for yet another small school, Jesuit this time, to end up taking on UNC? And beating them! Will people tune in for this one? We may be ranked #1, but it'll have a David v. Goliath feel anyway. Who wouldn't want to watch America's team beat the Tarheels to a pulp.

~B

sharpzag
03-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Zag fans are going to be out in full force. Graduated from GU in the early 2000s, and tons of people that I know are going down. Zag fans have been waiting for this moment for 20 years. We are going to be loud.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Cool.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 09:21 AM

Gary Parrish said the same thing. He said the ultimate nightmare for the network would be a South Carolina/Oregon final. He thought Gonzaga/UNC would draw decent numbers. I hate this TV stuff because it sounds like such an insult to the teams. I mean, it's the final four for gosh sakes. Who cares who is in it? Celebrate the accomplishments of all the kids and coaches. But unfortunately not all fans are like me.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 09:25 AM
And ticket prices averaged $1200 per for Indy final.......

Yeah, that's one of my problems with keeping it just in Indy. Rotating the sites allows the opportunity for more fans to go. There are a lot of folks who just go to the final four regardless of which teams are in it.

But Indy just has a nice set up because everything is centrally located. Even with Houston last year.....NRG Stadium is quite a journey from downtown Houston. There aren't many hotels near the stadium. I know of one guy who stayed at a mom and popper near the stadium for some event. Had roaches crawling up and down the walls.

10 Piece Bucket
03-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Anyone with good character and strong moral fiber will be a ZAG, and root for the ZAGs, on game day!