• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagLawGrad
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2008

Team's Agenda this week?

Anyone got inside track on what the team's schedule is for this week?
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

I tried looking things up, but couldn't find any schedule. My guess is that they will fly down on Thursday so they can have a shoot around and presser on Friday. If I find anything I'll post it...but I don't know anybody, so will probably be the last source.
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I have a hunch Coach Few was able to pick up some tips on handling Final Four week from his pal, Tom Izzo. Ol' Roy has more turns in the barrel, but GU has the resources and references to do as good a job on the scheduling, care, and prep for the bright spotlight.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

The Open Practice Sessions at the Stadium are from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Friday.

A complete listing of the daily schedule for the men’s DI college basketball championship.

Zags take the court at Noon

A complete guide to the men’s DI college basketball Reese’s Final Four Friday event.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

As I discussed in a previous thread, this is where having Donny Daniels on the staff really helps. He has been to four final fours. One with Utah (his first), and three straight with UCLA. So he's seen it as the new kid on the block and also as the regular customer. His advice will be invaluable to Few. There is a real fine line between allowing your guys to enjoy the experience, but also bunkering down and getting mentally prepared and focused. I would imagine Few has consulted with some of his blue blood coaching friends for pointers. The fact that GU is facing a fellow "rookie" in South Carolina also helps them. It would be a disadvantage to face UNC in the semis, even if Gonzaga had a way better team. This is just like a business trip for old Roy. Heck, most of his kids were in the title game last season.

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Gonzaga coach Mark Few and North Carolina counterpart Roy Williams have shot craps together, played cards and hung out at Nike-sponsored coaching clinics.

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Thank you for linking that story from the S-R, Zagdawg

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Roy Williams once advised Few about 12 years ago that if he ever seriously considered another job offer to please call him.

Few, unlike so many young coaches, made fast friends with Phil Knight and did every thing he could to seek out the advice of many of the coaching greats. I know some of us shake our head at the idea of Few and John "slick black Cadillac" Calipari regularly staying in touch, but even having some sort of relationship with a coach and recruiter of his stature can pay dividends (so long as you ignore their mistakes!). Whether you think Cal just rolls out the basketballs or not, he is a hall of famer. You would be surprised how many young coaches don't do this. They just stay in their own little world. And I have no doubt, when considering other offers, that some of these elite coaches told Mark to stay put.....

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2008

Good info, thanks
                  "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Team plans?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2007

Stay hungry.

They played with purpose & urgency vs Xavier.

Would not be denied.

After reaching the Final 4 and accomplishing so much, & celebrating the monumental moment, how do they stay focused. To keep that desire and purpose?

They, in essence, reached the 'promised land'.

Can they keep the fire burning and stay hungry for more? Are they ready to battle and face the toughest, nastiest, meanest team they've played in years?

A S.C. team comprised of mini Lebrons at the collegiate level. A team that makes West Va defense, in the half court, look like a puppy peeing on a porch.

They will have to work all week and keeping the fire burning within.

Comment

Working...
                      X