PDA

View Full Version : Zag Trivia (answer is Lenn Sakata)

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 10:42 AM
During my lunch break, I called into the ESPN affiliate in DFW. I didn't have my ear buds today, so I'm not able to listen at work. I said, "as a public service, I'm calling in to give you guys some Zag trivia that your competition will have no idea what the answer is. A guy who played for Gonzaga's baseball program was the last man to play shortstop for the Orioles before Cal Ripken started his streak."

"The answer is Lenn, with two n's, Sakata."

When the screener asked me where I got my info, I told him I lived across the hall from Lenn (in Robinson) my sophomore year. I held my own in the table top baseball games we played almost daily, and my GPA suffered accordingly. Good times.

Zagceo
03-27-2017, 11:03 AM
My Fav Lenn Sakata story

Sakata walked and later scored the tying run, but not before Benny Ayala pinch-hit for backup catcher Joe Nolan. The Orioles couldn't plate the winning run. Lacking catchers, the Orioles were forced to use Sakata behind the plate, outfielder Gary Roenicke at third, and outfielder John Lowenstein at second base.

The first batter, Cliff Johnson, hit a go-ahead home run and the second batter, Barry Bonnell, singled to center. That was it for pitcher Tim Stoddard, and lefthander Tippy Martinez came in to stem the tide. Eager to steal off non-catcher Sakata, Bonnell was promptly picked off first. Dave Collins then walked and, also eager to test Sakata, was promptly picked off. Willie Upshaw then hit an infield single to second. Following the example of his teammates, he leaned too far and was also picked off first.

In the bottom of the tenth, Cal Ripken tied the game with a leadoff home run. A walk, groundout, intentional walk, and strikeout set it up for Lenn Sakata to step in the box. Randy Moffitt, a pitcher Sakata had never faced in the majors, was on the mound. In this weirdest of games, what happened next only made sense. Sakata hit his second home run of the season to win the game.

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2009/8/24/999690/happy-lenn-sakata-day

Birddog
03-27-2017, 02:04 PM
My Fav Lenn Sakata story

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2009/8/24/999690/happy-lenn-sakata-day

as they say, PRICELESS! The most obnoxious talking head sports radio guy in OKC (Jim Traber OSU) played with Sakata in Baltimore.

Zag365
03-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Nice to find someone else who knows a little bit of Zag history. We're showing our age, however. At least I have the satisfaction of beating you to it by posting 8 years ago! http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?21264-Lenn-Sakata&highlight=Lenn+Sakata

Here's a better link to archived article that was in The Seattle Times back in 2009. Makes you wonder what Sakata is doing now.
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/lenn-sakata-doesnt-expect-to-see-more-japanese-american-managers-any-time-soon/

PPS: Maybe someone needs to give this to Rui.

Birddog
03-27-2017, 03:32 PM
And on a related note, how many of you know that if GU wins it all it will be their 2nd NCAA title?

Zag365
03-27-2017, 03:44 PM
And on a related note, how many of you know that if GU wins it all it will be their 2nd NCAA title?

Boxing?

Birddog
03-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Boxing?

Yes, they were very good in the late 40's and into the 50's . They shared the title with the vandals in 1950. I've posted the article before but can't seem to google it up anymore.

Zag365
03-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Yes, they were very good in the late 40's and into the 50's . They shared the title with the vandals in 1950. I've posted the article before but can't seem to google it up anymore.

I think the late Carl Maxie was part of that "team." May have had some support/involvement from Joey August (he later owned the bar on Hamilton then-known as Joey's in my time at GU - it subsequently became Jack and Dan's).

Birddog
03-27-2017, 04:41 PM
I think the late Carl Maxie was part of that "team." May have had some support/involvement from Joey August (he later owned the bar on Hamilton then-known as Joey's in my time at GU - it subsequently became Jack and Dan's).

Carl came in the late 50's but Joey was the coach of the championship team. Joey August was owner of Joey's and also was a Beer Distributor, Rainier I believe was his main brand. Joey's son Nick was the Gonzaga baseball coach for a few years starting in 67 I believe.

Norcalzag
03-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Carl Maxey, a 1951 GU law school grad, was indeed part of the Gonzaga boxing team that won the 1950 NCAA co-championship. Maxey, a 175-pounder and the team captain, and teammate Eli Thomas, who boxed at 155, won individual titles in the tournament, which was held in State College, Pennsylvania. Maxey defeated the weight-class favorite, Charles Spieser of Michigan State, who had been a member of the 1948 Olympic team. And, yes, Joey August was the GU coach. And as far as Zags basketball goes, it's also worth noting that in 1964 Maxey, who by then had become a prominent Spokane attorney and civil rights advocate, helped former GU All-American Frank Burgess when he returned to Spokane to attend law school. Burgess and his family had tried to rent a home in north Spokane and the property manager agreed to a one-year lease and accepted a deposit from Burgess. However, after learning that Burgess was black, the landlord refused to honor the lease. With Maxey as his attorney, Burgess filed suit and the case was heard by Judge Ralph Foley. Newspaper coverage noted that Burgess (who was married and had 2 kids) was vice president of his law school class and employed full time at WWP, in addition to serving as an assistant varsity basketball coach at Gonzaga. During the trial, Maxey -- a brilliant legal strategist and fiery courtroom orator -- got the property manager to admit on the stand that the owner of the house was worried neighbors would complain about living near a black family. Foley ruled in favor of Burgess and awarded $250 in damages.

Birddog
03-28-2017, 05:20 AM
Carl Maxey, a 1951 GU law school grad, was indeed part of the Gonzaga boxing team that won the 1950 NCAA co-championship. Maxey, a 175-pounder and the team captain, and teammate Eli Thomas, who boxed at 155, won individual titles in the tournament, which was held in State College, Pennsylvania. Maxey defeated the weight-class favorite, Charles Spieser of Michigan State, who had been a member of the 1948 Olympic team

Thanks for the correction on that. I seem to remember another boxer for GU that was pretty good in the late 50's just before the NCAA dropped Boxing as a sport. I was thinking it was Maxey. I wish I could find that article on Gonzaga Boxing history.

Edit: A little digging reveals that GU dropped boxing in 1952 so I don't know what boxer in the late 50's I'm thinking about. I've overturned several rocks and found nada.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2017, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the correction on that. I seem to remember another boxer for GU that was pretty good in the late 50's just before the NCAA dropped Boxing as a sport. I was thinking it was Maxey. I wish I could find that article on Gonzaga Boxing history.

Fond memories of the annual smoker in the Cog. Couldn't be done today.