PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Discussion Thread For 2nd NCAA National Semifinal, Oregon/UNC, April 1

CDC84
03-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Tip time is tentatively scheduled for 5:49pm PT on CBS. The game will take place at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

(3) Oregon (Midwest champ) vs. (1) North Carolina (South champ)

75Zag
03-27-2017, 02:55 PM
For those of you who live in the Pacific NW, which is the worst case scenario?
#1 - GU wins on Saturday and loses to Oregon on Monday?
#2 - GU loses on Saturday?

Having listened to Oregon football fans explain their greatness and genetic superiority for the past 10 or 12 or (seems like) 100 years, I think I might choose option #2 as the lesser of two evils. Although my obvious preference is that GU and UNC both win on Saturday and GU wins again on Monday.

Go Bulldogs!

kitzbuel
03-27-2017, 05:20 PM

Having listened to Oregon football fans explain their greatness and genetic superiority for the past 10 or 12 or (seems like) 100 years, I think I might choose option #2 as the lesser of two evils. Although my obvious preference is that GU and UNC both win on Saturday and GU wins again on Monday.

Go Bulldogs!

Win em both.

GrizZAG
03-27-2017, 06:38 PM

Go Bulldogs!

Man do I know what you are talking about. I took a transfer to Portland for six years. Half of my staff were Ducks and the other half Beavers. I completely was turned off and increasingly repulsed by exactly what you are talking about. I would love to beat SC and put an A$$ whooping on the Ducks.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 10:57 AM
I have always wondered why CBS chooses these odd final 4 game times. For instance, 5:49pm PT/8:49pm ET?

Why not just make it 6pm/9pm?

I think that UNC is going to have quite an advantage that Kansas didn't have in preparing for the Boucher-less Ducks. The Ducks really have had to change a lot of stuff since they lost him. Heels have a whole week to prepare.

RenoZag
03-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Discussion of key match-ups for Oregon - UNC are available here: https://theringer.com/the-three-most-important-matchups-to-watch-in-each-final-four-game-e88c881dc7a

2. How will UNC deal with the Oregon zone?
On paper, Kansas star Josh Jackson presented just as many matchup problems for Oregon in the Elite Eight as Justin Jackson, but the Ducks were able to hold him in check, thanks to Jackson’s early foul trouble, as well as the intricacies of their matchup zone. The Jayhawks’ high-powered offense was bewildered by the way Altman switched his defenses over the course of the game, while Jordan Bell’s ability to completely lock down the paint gave Oregon a ton of flexibility when it came to how the Ducks deployed the four guys in front of him.

Even if the matchups when they play man aren’t favorable for Oregon, it won’t matter if they can zone UNC and force the Tar Heels to beat them from the high post and the 3-point line. Roy Williams teams like to run-and-gun and push the pace at every opportunity, so the Ducks should slow the game down and force the Heels to execute in the half court. Beating a zone requires shooting and playmaking from your frontcourt players, not a strength of either Hicks or Kennedy Meeks, which means the Tar Heels may need another big performance from backup power forward and unlikely March hero Luke Maye.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 12:46 PM
More: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-2017-final-four-north-carolina-gonzaga-oregon-south-carolina-national-championship-who-will-win/q936apndvws214faiw48gb7qu

OREGON

Why they might win it: Jordan Bell has become the ultimate luxury for the Ducks in the wake of losing center Chris Boucher to a knee injury during the Pac-12 Tournament. He is a massive physical presence who moves like a small forward. It’s extremely difficult for opposing bigs to keep up with him, even though he’s not a great threat to score from the perimeter. Michigan had to remove center Mo Wagner from its Sweet 16 game against the Ducks, and Kansas center Landen Lucas was lost for that reason in the Elite Eight.

North Carolina plays the vast majority of the time with two true baseline players on the floor; the only exception has been the introduction of shooter Luke Maye to greater prominence in the rotation. The Heels have relied plenty on their ability to offensive rebound and either score immediately or spend the extra possessions on shots by Jackson or Berry. The Ducks very well could take away one of UNC’s primary strengths within the first few minutes.
They also have become an excellent perimeter scoring team, with Dorsey’s development into a 20-point man the most important element of that strength.

Why they won’t: A week of watching tape will give the Heels plenty of time to prepare for the differences in Oregon’s new approach. Kansas had only a short turnaround to devise a plan to cope with the Ducks’ dynamism. Dorsey may struggle to find shooting room against Jackson’s reach. Oregon isn’t getting much lately from its point guard position, with freshman Payton Pritchard losing his influence and veteran Casey Benson lacking the talent to make a real difference at this level.

NORTH CAROLINA

Why they’ll win it: The Tar Heels’ late comebacks in NCAA Tournament games against Arkansas and Kentucky have sealed what appeared to be the one severe crack in the team’s construction. Senior guard Nate Britt said coach Roy Williams told the team in a timeout with five minutes left against UK and the Heels down 64-59, “This is just like Arkansas; you’ve got to get stops and you’ve got to make plays. And you’re tough enough to do it.”

And they were. And they are. The Heels’ physical toughness has never been a major issue; this is among the best offensive rebounding teams. But they have advanced beyond their ugly losses at Miami and Virginia and the second-half collapse in the ACC semifinals against Duke. There are few games more pressurized than the one that pits two teams on the verge of the Final Four, and Carolina performed in in those final minutes against Kentucky with great confidence.

The escalation of forward Justin Jackson’s game to include defensive excellence was a bit of a revelation Sunday. Williams wanted defensive stopper Theo Pinson to cope with UK point guard De’Aaron Fox and offered plenty of help from big defenders. Jackson was mostly on his own against Malik Monk, who’d stung the Heels for 47 points in their first meeting. Jackson was a one-man swarm and held Monk to just six points in the first 39 minutes. That will help against Oregon, probably on “Mr. March” Tyler Dorsey in the semifinals. Jackson also might be the most difficult player to defend of all those at the Final Four because of his ability to shoot over defenders whether from 22 feet or six.

Why they might not: Following Sunday’s game point guard Joel Berry acknowledged he had played with severe pain in his ankle after twisting it in the first half. He’d previously hurt his ankle in the team’s NCAA opener.

“I feel a lot worse than I did against Texas Southern, but we’ve got a whole week off this time,” Berry said. It was his absence against Duke because of foul issues that led to Carolina blowing a double-digit lead. That’s how important he is.

There also is the matter of how this team’s preferred two-big lineup with match up with Oregon’s breathtaking athleticism and mobility. Will the Heels be forced to match down, playing one big man with 6-8 Jackson, 6-6 Pinson and two guards?

BBzag
03-28-2017, 04:37 PM
I have always wondered why CBS chooses these odd final 4 game times. For instance, 5:49pm PT/8:49pm ET? Why not just make it 6pm/9pm?

The second game starts 40 minutes after the end of the first one (as usual) - so since game one starts at 3:09 PT, they're assuming it will end precisely in two hours at 5:09, which we all know won't happen.

RenoZag
03-29-2017, 04:01 AM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/28/unc-tar-heels-ncaa-investigation-final-four

It’s long been a matter of when, not if, the NCAA levies some form of heavy penalty against the UNC athletic department. The case is widely considered the most egregious academic fraud scandal in NCAA history, so concerning to the Committee on Infractions that at one point last year the judges essentially sent the file back to the prosecutors to make a stronger case.

That’s just one of many unusual steps that’s given North Carolina an extended reprieve the past several years—and the Tar Heels have certainly made the most of it.

Williams has lamented many times over the past several years the cloud of the school’s seemingly never-ending NCAA saga. “I’m tired of this junk,” Williams, 66, said in December following another development. “… I’d hoped that the NCAA thing would be over before I retired. Now I’m hoping it will be over before I die.”

caduceus
03-29-2017, 04:08 AM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/28/unc-tar-heels-ncaa-investigation-final-four

Sounds like a forfeit is in order.

Dunk Master
03-30-2017, 03:55 PM
I heard Joel Berry's ankle is still pretty tender I like Oregon in this one in a close game.

CDC84
03-30-2017, 07:26 PM
The second game starts 40 minutes after the end of the first one (as usual) - so since game one starts at 3:09 PT, they're assuming it will end precisely in two hours at 5:09, which we all know won't happen.

But that gets back to the gist of my original point. Why 3:09pm? Why not 3? We don't see 7:17pm and 30 seconds on GU ticket stubs, or even with any games on ESPN, CBS, etc.

CDC84
03-30-2017, 07:30 PM

I haven't followed the details of this case, largely because it is so complicated and it has been going on forever. How much do people think UNC basketball was involved compared to UNC football? It was my original understanding that this was primarily a UNC football issue, which isn't to say that other athletic programs might not have taken advantage of the situation to push their athletes through.

Hoopaholic
03-30-2017, 07:30 PM
But that gets back to the gist of my original point. Why 3:09pm? Why not 3? We don't see 7:17pm and 30 seconds on GU ticket stubs, or even with any games on ESPN, CBS, etc.

Commercial maximization to allow prime time spots in lead up to tipoff that you could not garner with straight top or bottom of hour without having huge extended pre game format

jazzdelmar
04-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Not much to look at yet.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Started decent but turned ugly. Carolina pounding the glass but can't shoot. Oregon w/ too many TOs. Game is up for grabs so far.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Ennis w/ the worst hairdo in the Tourney. Dennis Rodman and Wesley Snipes/Demolition Man would be proud of it though.

MickMick
04-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Ugly.

Hope this is what GU gets on Monday

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Surprised UO is leading w/ Brooks and Dorsey both doing nothing so far.

Game is still ugly.

krozman
04-01-2017, 05:39 PM
allright I ate a good dinner. Whom am I supposed to be rooting for ?

MJ777
04-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Will CBS allow an Oregon v. GU final? Adjusting my Tinfoil hat.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Will CBS allow an Oregon v. GU final? Adjusting my Tinfoil hat.

As of a few minutes ago, UNC had more fouls called against them than made buckets, so the conspiracy angle isn't really materializing so far.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 05:46 PM
As of a few minutes ago, UNC had more fouls called against them than made buckets, so the conspiracy angle isn't really materializing so far.

Yet. I feel like Jazz.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Now THAT was a bad call, nobody even close to Jackson, clean block, NOTHING there.

DixieZag
04-01-2017, 05:50 PM

You don't think the officials played a huge role in them coming back in?

10-4 at one point in fouls, 2nd half, right in the middle of their run? Double bonus versus not even being close to the bonus?

The "conspiracy" is good games, not so much who is in them.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 05:52 PM
You don't think the officials played a huge role in them coming back in?

10-4 at one point in fouls, 2nd half, right in the middle of their run? Double bonus versus not even being close to the bonus?

The "conspiracy" is good games, not so much who is in them.

I'm talking about this game, not GU's game.

jazzdelmar
04-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Not worried about either team.

whatazag
04-01-2017, 05:58 PM
It is impossible that it is a coincidence that every game UNC has had officiating in their favor. making me sick.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Ducks better start hitting shots or they will be Ore-gone.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Looks like it will be the battle of limping point guards on Monday. Who is going to guard Jackson? Might need to play Zach and Tillie more minutes.

DixieZag
04-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Not worried about either team.

Really?

UNC looks really tough to me. Not "tough" like SC was "tough" but better basketball skills/players.

thespywhozaggedme
04-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Oregon play stupid ISO street ball. It's a miracle they made it this far.

DixieZag
04-01-2017, 06:52 PM
I'm talking about this game, not GU's game.

Sorry, misunderstanding.

Though UNC is doing quite well this half, though they're the better team.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Sorry, misunderstanding.

no worries

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Danger time for Oregon.

If this score holds, Karno better be ready to battle in the paint and try to keep Meeks off the offensive glass.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Ennis has been big for the Ducks today, w/ Dorsey and Brooks both off their games.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Carolina has more fouls and Oregon has more FTA by a decent margin today, so I don't think the conspiracy theories are gonna hold any water for this game.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Oregon just can't hit shots today. The door is still open but they can't take advantage. Live by the 3 die by the 3 for the Ducks.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Carolina has more fouls and Oregon has more FTA by a decent margin today, so I don't think the conspiracy theories are gonna hold any water for this game.

I think this game has been called decently. But what would have happened if the Ducks were up 10 in the 2nd half? I guess we'll never know.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:10 PM
At least Neil Everett can root for the Zags now.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Oregon is hitting almost 90% as a team from the FT line. That's unheard of. Their last 9 points have come from the charity stripe.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:14 PM
A few guys showed up big time, but miserable shooting games for Dorsey/Brooks from Oregon and Hicks/Berry from Carolina.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:14 PM
That was a foul on Brooks. C'mon announcers.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Carolina trying to choke?

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Overall not a very good game. Both teams shooting about 37% from the floor.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:19 PM
How did that roll in?

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Nice touch on that 3ball by the Ducks.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:20 PM
How did that roll in?

I heard the rims were soft.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:20 PM
No quit in the Ducks.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Seemed like Oregon traveled a couple of time on that last trip.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:22 PM
short

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:23 PM
1 3 Ducks.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Wow, bricked both FT but got the ball back. Offensive rebounding is HUGE for the Tar Heels.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Let's Go Ducks.

seacatfan
What the hell? Carolina misses 4 straight FT but keeps getting O boards to preserve the win. Strange finish.

mtzaga
That was good rebounding.

thespywhozaggedme
Are you kidding me?

DixieZag
Looked like there could've been over the back on the second one.

Hoopaholic
04-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Looked like there could've been over the back on the second one.

Simply shoved him out of way

seacatfan
For GU, gotta block out and keep Carolina off the offensive glass. That's the key to the game on Monday.

MJ777
Block out Ducks. Jeez.

sittingon50
04-01-2017, 07:26 PM
For GU, gotta block out and keep Carolina off the offensive glass. That's the key to the game on Monday.

Absolutely THIS.

seacatfan
04-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Back to back Championship Game appearances for UNC w/out a whole lot in the way of NBA players on their roster. Roy hasn't gotten much credit for coaching in recent years but I'd say he's doing a pretty good job.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Simply shoved him out of way

He didn't square him up and his momentum along with the move by the UNC player resulted in a rebound for the Heels.

maynard g krebs
04-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Oregon play stupid ISO street ball. It's a miracle they made it this far.

Once again, you demonstrate that you have no idea what you're talking about. Check out their season #'s to disprove your theory. Yes they do iso when they identify a mismatch. That doesn't make it street ball. Back to back league championships with considerably less talent than the other top teams in the league. You don't do that by playing stupid.

maynard g krebs
04-01-2017, 07:40 PM
I think this game has been called decently. But what would have happened if the Ducks were up 10 in the 2nd half? I guess we'll never know.

Yup. All NW final wouldn't have been allowed. But the Ducks needed Boucher for this one. I had 'em losing to Louisville in the 16; would have picked them to get to title game w/ Boucher.

Hoopaholic
04-01-2017, 07:42 PM
He didn't square him up and his momentum along with the move by the UNC player resulted in a rebound for the Heels.

Not my view with TiVo. 2 hands in back then full body push

But Oregon fails to step up the lane to hold space

maynard g krebs
04-01-2017, 07:42 PM
What the hell? Carolina misses 4 straight FT but keeps getting O boards to preserve the win. Strange finish.

Meeks shoved Bell completely under the basket on the last miss using that 80 lb weight advantage. No call of course.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Not my view with TiVo. 2 hands in back then full body push

But Oregon fails to step up the lane to hold space

I didn't say he wasn't pushed, but he didn't block out properly.

bballbeachbum
04-01-2017, 08:28 PM

been the recipe to beat NC for a while imo