• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LTownZag
    Banned
    • Mar 2017

The Archetypes

I loved reading the 'Recognition of past Players' http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...f-past-players

I was struck at how so many of GU's great players have fit into 1 of 3 archetypes. We'd be nowhere close to a final 4 without a bunch of great players of all 3 types. Here are a few folks who set the mold, and then followed it. I'm know I'm missing many - feel free to jump in with suggestions. Is there a 4th "style" of player that we've had a bunch of?

Local Boy Does Good - A high-skill guy from WA/OR/BC who was largely ignored by many other powerhouse programs, but who excelled at GU through 3 or 4 years. Maybe not the most athletic, but high basketball IQ and leadership.

John Stockton - Richie Frahm, Blake Stepp, Adam Morrison, Derek Raivio, Kelly Olynyk, Matt Santangelo

The International Find - Somewhere in the world, there's an overlooked future Zag star, probably a powerful big man, who has never even heard of Spokane, but who will become a star while at GU.

Ronny Turiaf - Karnowski, Domantas Sabonis, Rui Hachimura, Tillie, Larsen, Batista

The Transfer - A neglected D1 player who is being overlooked on their team, or struggling in a floundering program that doesn't fit them. Maybe they had some academic or behavior bumps, or simply weren't a good fit in huge city/huge school. Seeing the improvement, maturity, and success of these guys has been really inspiring.

Dan Dickau - Erroll Knight, Byron Wesley, (not)Jeremy Pargo, Kyle Wiltjer, Eric Mclellan(!!), Nigel W-G, J.W. III
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Jeremy wasn't a transfer.

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Maybe was thinking of Knight-- he was a transfer.

Comment

• Ekrub
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2009

Micah downs was a transfer

Comment

• gonstu
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

How about a currently small but possibly growing (in the near future) category: The High Major recruit: Perkins, Collins...others?

Maybe, the coach's kids: Pangos, Matthews, D Stockton, others...

Comment

• Outraged
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

I would add the walk-on. We have had some good ones.

Comment

• krozman
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2008

AMMO was a local boy from Mead High school ignored by powerhouses because of his diabetes

IMO there should be a Mark Spink category. Those of them that were on the court with a little less in the talent and skillset department but made up for it with amazing maximum effort. I kinda remember Pendergraft that way.
              Krozman
              GU student 1996-2000
              Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

Working...
              X