PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to So. Carolina

Reborn
03-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Wow! It's Monday and time to move on from the glow of being in the Final Four. It's back to work. The big question for me is can the Zags and their fans move on from that glow? We all have wanted to one day make it into the Final Four for a long time, well actually forever. I'm sure we've all been on a real high. Are we going to be satisfied that we made it finally, or can we let it go for now and now focus on winning the whole thing. What's nice I think is that 3 of the 4 teams in the Final Four are here for the first time. Well, actually I think Oregon made it in 1939 or something like that. So South Carolina has the same problem. The team that can get focused on the game at hand rather than the event, the Final Four, will have an advantage I think.

So Carolina is definitely one of those teams that gets really hot in the tournament and makes a deep run. Xavier was certainly another one. So, in ways I compare So Carolina somewhat to Xavier. Both teams have a very good offensive player who carried their teams. Neither team had a very good record coming into the tournament. Both teams knocked off some really good teams along the way. So Carolina definitely has a better defensive team.

Defensively I have to compare them to West Virginia because of the kind of intensity these two teams play with. However, they come at you a little differently. As we know now, West Virginia came at us from all over the court. From the moment the ball was inbounded, West Virginia was all over the Zags. Relentless! S. Carolina will let us get past the half court line before they attack. I'm glad that Gonzaga had that game with WV because in ways it will prepare us to deal with that kind of intense defense S. Carolina plays. Before playing WV Gonzaga had never dealt with that kind of intensity before. The only answer to that kind of intensity, I believe, is to attack the basket with the dribble, especially before they get their defense set up. Gonzaga did miss a lot of shots close in, layups even, and had a lot blocked. I think that that was due to not seeing that kind of team before. I believe we'll make more of those against SC.

In this tournaments match ups are the most important thing, I believe. Teams like WV and SC are teams who match up really well against teams that like to score from the 3 point line. For sure Duke and Florida look to score from the 3 pt line. Fortunately for us, our offense is not built around making 3's. Gonzaga is definitely an inside out offensive team, and I think S. Carolina will have problems with that, as have other teams we've played and will mostly likely double our bigs down low, and force us to shoot from the outside.

One thing I like about our match-up with S. Carolina is that Mark Few has played against Coach Martin several times before when he coached at Kansas St. His teams have always been pretty tough defensively. I think Few has a pretty good record against Martin, and maybe that will help. He also has had a pretty good record against Hubby. Anyway, it's going to be a great game.

I just saw an interview with Mark Few on Mike & Mike, and Few said his team is really focused on moving on. I feel that they will be ready to go to work and will be ready for So Carolina.

Go Zags!!!

Zagger
03-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Final Four breakdown: Which matchups will decide Gonzaga-South Carolina, Oregon-UNC?
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/27/gonzaga-south-carolina-oregon-north-carolina

This MICHAEL BELLER, Monday March 27th, 2017, story has the Zags with a rather clear advantage with Mt. K and Collins over SC. I really like the sound of this. It'll be interesting to see if SC doubles Shemmick. And if they do, how they'll keep him from passing out to the guards for 3s. One thing missing in this critique is a mention of Williams. SC has him to worry about as well. Plus Tillie .....

Prezmek Karnowski and Zach Collins vs. Maik Kotsar and Chris Silva

Few people outside of Columbia, S.C., would argue with Gonzaga’s status as clear favorites in this national semifinal. If there’s one spot where the Bulldogs’ advantage is most obvious, it’s in the paint. Put simply, South Carolina may not have an answer for Karnowski and, to a much lesser extent, Collins.

Karnowski is as efficient as possible on a large volume of shots. He has converted better than 60% of his 317 two-point attempts, making him a scoring machine whenever he touches the ball in the paint. Collins, meanwhile, has attempted about half as many shots, but has made nearly 68% of them. That’s the sort of ruthless efficiency that can keep an offense humming, even if the shots from distance aren’t falling.

Kotsar and Silva get the majority of the frontcourt minutes for South Carolina, but they just don’t measure up to Karnowski and Collins. If one of them gets in foul trouble, the Gamecocks will be in serious trouble. The 6’6” Dozier and 6’5” Thornwell have combined for 45% of South Carolina’s minutes at power forward over their last five games. The Gamecocks are already at a size disadvantage with Kotsar and Silva. If that turns into one of them and one of Dozier or Thornwell, they won’t have much chance of slowing down the Bulldogs’ two-headed interior monster.

Reborn
03-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Final Four breakdown: Which matchups will decide Gonzaga-South Carolina, Oregon-UNC?
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/27/gonzaga-south-carolina-oregon-north-carolina

This MICHAEL BELLER, Monday March 27th, 2017, story has the Zags with a rather clear advantage with Mt. K and Collins over SC. I really like the sound of this. It'll be interesting to see if SC doubles Shemmick. And if they do, how they'll keep him from passing out to the guards for 3s. One thing missing in this critique is a mention of Williams. SC has him to worry about as well. Plus Tillie .....

thanks! That was a great article. It's so amazing how reporters have missed out on J Williams III. He is truly one of our best players. But I know it's okay with him. What I like about J Williams is that the bigger the game is, the bigger he plays. He is going to be one more very big surprise to all of those who don't know him and his impact on the Zags this year.

Go Zags!!!