PDA

View Full Version : GU vs South Carolina (Final 4 edition) - Predictions/What you hope to see

LongIslandZagFan
03-27-2017, 07:12 AM
Hard to believe I typed the words Final 4... Zags face a tough test... but 2 more wins and we are in Zag Nirvana... Thoughts and predictions boys and girls...

gozagswoohoo
03-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Zags 68
Cocks 62

Quick unrelated question here, but does anyone happen to remember what Duke was favored by in their game against SC?

BayAreaZagFan
03-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Early jitters by both teams, resulting in a fairly close first half, but the Zags defense prevails and the ultimately pull away in the second.

Zags 78
USC 62

Also, Spike beats Cocky in the mascot dance-off.

BayAreaZagFan
03-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Zags 68
Cocks 62

Quick unrelated question here, but does anyone happen to remember what Duke was favored by in their game against SC?

According to my phone - 6.5

former1dog
03-27-2017, 07:40 AM
Gamecocks are ready for a fight, but struggle mightily with Gonzaga's inside/out game. Zags cool off a bit from three, but season averages end up being enough.

Zags by 8.

Zags 75
USC 67

gozagswoohoo
03-27-2017, 07:45 AM
According to my phone - 6.5

Thanks BayAreaZagFan!

Also a sidenote, but HOW I WISH we coulda played a beat Dook. I've got so many annoying Dookies here in Missouri...

Zags11
03-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Zags 74
South Carolina 66

Shem 16.

Zags move to the title game.

Zagger
03-27-2017, 07:48 AM
SC has lost 10 games - counting twice to Alabama. They've playing hot but ..... we've got the D!
Thinking we win by .... 15

Zags 80
Chickens 65

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatSC.png

Zags11
03-27-2017, 08:04 AM
SC has lost 10 games - counting twice to Alabama. They've playing hot but ..... we've got the D!
Thinking we win by .... 15

Zags 80
Chickens 65

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatSC.png

That's so awesome!!!

Zagger
03-27-2017, 09:03 AM
That's so awesome!!!

Mt K's favorite protein is chicken!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/MtKchickenProtein.png

jazzdelmar
03-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Zags move to NC game.....Zags 76-68.

stevet75
03-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Zags 70-62. I want to see our 3's drop at a similar rate as the last game and great defense. Actually I don't care what I see, as long as the Zags win.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Mt K's favorite protein is chicken!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/MtKchickenProtein.png

He's got a few friends out there:

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/meme-cows-vegetarians.jpg

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/meme-cows-california.jpg

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/meme-cows-a1.jpg

ETA: I believe the cows in these photos are milk cows.

allnet59
03-27-2017, 10:04 AM
Zags 71
SC 65
Hope to see us make at least seven behind the arc. Limit them to four. Keep them off the offensive glass and limit their second chance points. Zags to take care of the ball with eight or less turnovers. Williams, Collins, and Shem to combine for 40 and not get into foul trouble...

Alum08
03-27-2017, 10:17 AM
I think Sindarius scores 30 points on us and we still win 76-73. Stopping the penetration on D this entire tournament has been god awful regardless if we're playing man or zone, and Sindarius will probably eat us alive and get our bigs in foul trouble.

SC has WV-esque perimeter defense so we cannot rely on our 3 point shooting like last game. Inside-out. In order to accomplish that we need our bigs in the game.

The MAIN thing we need to do is to get defensive rebounds. SC can't rebound to save their lives and we have decided to stop blocking out in the tournament. Whoever wises up will win the possession battle.

NumberCruncher
03-27-2017, 10:30 AM

KenPom had Duke by 4.

CdAZagFan
03-27-2017, 10:49 AM
GU 67
SC 58

Hope the fellas can overcome the Football Stadium backdrop and hit some outside shots.

Bocco
03-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Zags 79
South Carolina 68

DixieZag
03-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Zags 62
SoCar 52

Looowwww scoring. Nerves + Dome + Defense = lots of missed shots, few threes.

Our bigs win the game for us. JWIII gets fast start on FF MVP

bigblahla
03-27-2017, 01:28 PM
69-55 Zags

Go!! Zags!!!

MDABE80
03-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Those domes throw everything off......just horrible choices for ny bball game. Spacial sense has to be relearned, noises don't sound normal, the brain must adjust in lots of ways. Still SC has to play in the dome too. Zags offense keeps rolling and the defense get stronger. Physical pushy team with the coach's temperment. Zags by 10. Then comes 2 entirely different teams..long bouncy ones. Oregon's tougher than UNC. I'm thinking they could win this one. 4.5 down in the present odds.
Crazy if we faced Oregon in the FF. Few's nightmare. Our's too.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Brick Fight 2.0

Zags 68
Chickens 61

bartruff1
03-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Gonzaga 74-62

willandi
03-27-2017, 05:49 PM
85-68 Zags

gonzagafan62
03-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Bleacher report idiot picks South Carolina 77-70

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cOJiiBak87w&feature=onebox

gueastcoast
03-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Imaging playing in an early preseason four-team tourney with these teams, configured the same way. What would you think?

I'd think, "we'll be playing for the tourney championship against UNC, and at least even money to beat 'em and take home a trophy".

Why should the final four be thought of any differently?

Zags 77
Gamecocks 65

DixieZag
03-27-2017, 06:31 PM

Best news yet.

I gotta admit liking that the TV analysts are mostly picking us, and gotta admit that Bleacher Report going against us also makes good karma.

zagsfanforlife
03-27-2017, 07:02 PM
South Carolina- 86 (offense clicking at the right time) (Will force unforced GU errors due to having the "best" defense GU has ever seen. and GU's "Bigs not being able to run, and being gassed with 5 or 6 minutes left"

Gonzaga- 55 (Have only beat up on terrible conference foes, have never seen a team like SC who plays in the best conference in America and the Zags are not nearly as good as Florida... their early game season was a fluke)

Sincerely,

The Cocky Board.

GrizZAG
03-27-2017, 07:17 PM
I noticed in the SC / Florida game SC looked a lot like....well, Florida. We handled them, we can handle the same in my view
Zags 81
SC 70

3zagda
03-27-2017, 07:29 PM
I would like to see us ahead in the last few minutes to the point we play our best FT shooters to seal the win!

demian
03-27-2017, 07:56 PM
Gonzaga 71
South Carolina 70.

We win on a last second runner by Niles Williams Goss

What I hope to see = 1.) that we can finally start to clean up the defensive rebounds 2.) that our guards can stay in front of someone and limit penetration (really struggled in this vs. Xavier) 3.) that we shoot well from the free throw line 4.) Frank Martin get so mad at his players for forcing up shots without passing that he takes the stool that the head coaches sit on during the Final Four games on the elevated courts and he smashes it so hard on the concrete floor below him right at the feet of his players and assistant coaches that the stool splinters into pieces.

ProVeeZag
03-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Gonzaga 71
South Carolina 70.

We win on a last second runner by Niles Williams Goss

What I hope to see = 1.) that we can finally start to clean up the defensive rebounds 2.) that our guards can stay in front of someone and limit penetration (really struggled in this vs. Xavier) 3.) that we shoot well from the free throw line 4.) Frank Martin get so mad at his players for forcing up shots without passing that he takes the stool that the head coaches sit on during the Final Four games on the elevated courts and he smashes it so hard on the concrete floor below him right at the feet of his players and assistant coaches that the stool splinters into pieces.

Frank Martin scares the be-jesus out of me! Just waitin' for his head to explode during a game...maybe Saturday?
http://www.boston.com/partners/greader/prfmkt/images/mp17martin1.jpg

Stache
03-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Zags 68
G cocks. 61.

demian
03-27-2017, 08:10 PM
Frank Martin scares the be-jesus out of me! Just waitin' for his head to explode during a game...maybe Saturday?

Haha maybe!! Lol. I actually like Coach Martin a lot. But he entertains me with his temper and some of his outbursts.

DixieZag
03-27-2017, 08:29 PM
I was very impressed with how he handled the question from that young boy from Sports Illustrated kids. He first noted it was an excellent question, and then he gave the kid an adult answer that was thoughtful and sincere, iow - he treated the kid reporter with the respect of any reporter, he didn't take the question as a joke.

I thought that was well done.

Goshzagit
03-27-2017, 08:41 PM
Note how South Carolina is just killing teams in the 2nd half.

Here are the second half scores in their 4 games this Tournament:

vs. Marquette - 54-33
vs. Duke - 65-51
vs. Baylor - 33-28
vs. FLA - 44-30

These look like projections or end of game scores, but just slaughtering teams down the stretch.

Frank Martin prides himself on having the best conditioned team in NCAA, not to mention halftime adjustments, & it shows.

They were down 1 vs Marquette at half, down 6 vs Duke, down 7 vs Florida.

Scary stat: Duke, Baylor, Florida were all ranked Top 15 in AdjD by Ken Pom.

Hope our guys are still hungry!

LongIslandZagFan
03-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Trying to figure this SC team out... they have a good D but in the tourney have been giving up points and putting up points. That said, think it ends up lower scoring affair.

Zags - 67
SC - 59

zag67
03-28-2017, 01:21 PM
GU - 80
SC - 67

DixieZag
03-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Note how South Carolina is just killing teams in the 2nd half.

Here are the second half scores in their 4 games this Tournament:

vs. Marquette - 54-33
vs. Duke - 65-51
vs. Baylor - 33-28
vs. FLA - 44-30

These look like projections or end of game scores, but just slaughtering teams down the stretch.

Frank Martin prides himself on having the best conditioned team in NCAA, not to mention halftime adjustments, & it shows.

They were down 1 vs Marquette at half, down 6 vs Duke, down 7 vs Florida.

Scary stat: Duke, Baylor, Florida were all ranked Top 15 in AdjD by Ken Pom.

Hope our guys are still hungry!

Ugh. And, we're not exactly known as a 2nd half team, so now there's even more reason to worry about being up 20 at halftime?

One thing, though. I wonder how many noticed (everyone). We were up 10 on Xavier at halftime. I knew Xavier was coming back and it would be a one possession game at some point.

Except they didn't. We extended the lead and held the extension, we won the second half greater than the first. That is a pattern I hope is burned into their brains - how much easier it is to win when you don't allow a team back in.

USCJeremyinCali
03-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Head:
Zags 65
Gamecocks 62

Heart:
Gamecocks 65
Zags 62

USCJeremyinCali
03-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Ugh. And, we're not exactly known as a 2nd half team, so now there's even more reason to worry about being up 20 at halftime?

One thing, though. I wonder how many noticed (everyone). We were up 10 on Xavier at halftime. I knew Xavier was coming back and it would be a one possession game at some point.

Except they didn't. We extended the lead and held the extension, we won the second half greater than the first. That is a pattern I hope is burned into their brains - how much easier it is to win when you don't allow a team back in.

One thing I would caution about this. Xavier, while a very good team, was an 11 seed from a weaker conference (is the Big East even a major conference anymore?).

I think the Zags have shown they are able to defend and score against teams like Xavier like they have in the WCC all year. However, the flip side of this is the comeback by Northwestern and the close game against West Virginia. I know Williams-Goss didn't have a good game against WVU but South Carolina's defense is better than West Virginia in the half court. The Zags have played closer games against power 5 schools and I don't know that the style and size of Xavier is typical of what you would find in the Zags' non conference and tournament schedule.

USCJeremyinCali
03-28-2017, 01:42 PM

When Martin was first hired at South Carolina, his antics on the sideline scared me. He got in trouble when he first came to THE USC (as we call ourselves) because of the yelling and screaming.

I'm not sure how many of you have listened to his interviews on TV and the post game but he is an amazing man. NOTHING like what you see on the sideline. I believe he has succeeded because of his character and passion not the scary dude you see on TV. That's really not him at all. I have come to appreciate him for being a fantastic ambassador for our school - not just as a coach but as a man.

TheZagPhish
03-28-2017, 02:50 PM
When Martin was first hired at South Carolina, his antics on the sideline scared me. He got in trouble when he first came to THE USC (as we call ourselves) because of the yelling and screaming.

I'm not sure how many of you have listened to his interviews on TV and the post game but he is an amazing man. NOTHING like what you see on the sideline. I believe he has succeeded because of his character and passion not the scary dude you see on TV. That's really not him at all. I have come to appreciate him for being a fantastic ambassador for our school - not just as a coach but as a man.

It's been nice to get to see the human side of Coach Martin this year. I really appreciate how humble beginnings are tightly woven into his character, and I just dig the old school / old neighborhood vibe of the man.

He appears at once astonished, humble, funny, kind and ferocious. And that's a badass cocktail.

mattydog73
03-28-2017, 03:09 PM
I noticed in the SC / Florida game SC looked a lot like....well, Florida. We handled them, we can handle the same in my view
Zags 81
SC 70

I thought this exact thing.

Zags 77
SCocks 69

In the "would like to see" portion of my post:

SC not be allowed to foul on just about every other ball denial / closeout the way they were allowed to do vs FL.

Zags making them pay for denying the wings all the way past the three point line with a heavy dose of backdoor / pin-down/rub screens etc

Zags making them pay for switching every ball screen (IMO a must!)

Lastly, Zags not letting them off the hook with hoisting up a ton of threes and missing FT's....Seriously, I could not abide missing the NC game because of missed FT's!

MJ777
03-28-2017, 03:11 PM
Zags 71 - 64. It should be a nerve wracker.

zagdontzig
03-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Zags move to NC game.....Zags 76-68.

With Joel Barry on tender ankles, I could see Oregon in the final. If anyone knows how to coach a team through, it would be Izzo first, but Roy Williams a close second. But I'm not counting out Oregon.

Would be interesting to see an all west coast final.

75Zag
03-28-2017, 03:47 PM
People at my office are picking GU to win on Saturday by a wide margin. That makes me nervous, because nobody at my office knows anything about basketball, including me. Even worse, people who work with the Lovely Mrs. '75 are going out of their way to congratulate the Lovely Mrs. '75 on GU's odds on Saturday. Generally speaking, the only people who know less about basketball than lawyers are doctors.

Bulldogs by 8.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagricultural
03-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Totally befuddled by SC. They have, IMO, the most impressive string of games in the Tournament. However, they sure haven't displayed this type of Basketball all season. I am feeling fairly confident in the win, but it really could go sideways as well. 71-64 Zags. If we don't score at least 70 I believe we lose this game.

23dpg
03-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Zags 71
SC 59

This is based on two things. I'm not sure my heart can take a close grinder game. I worry about our offense bogging down in a closer game.

CarolinaZagFan
03-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Make your free throws and I like our chances.

LongIslandZagFan
03-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Head:
Zags 65
Gamecocks 62

Heart:
Gamecocks 65
Zags 62

You going with head or heart? We need to know for scoring purposes.

Bogozags
03-28-2017, 05:58 PM

I have a friend in Columbia and he is a Gamecock fan and when he was hired at SC I told him this man is horrible to his players...always yelling and belittling them...I saw him at Kansas City when we played him and he was atrocious...He was chastised by the school and changed a lot but still, his stairs are just pathetic IMO...I have seen Coach Knight and didn't like his style either...I am not sure where these coaches "learned" to treat their players with such disrespect, because they wouldn't tolerate their AD's testing them the same way...

GU 63-62
One other note...the Big East is a much stronger conference than the SEC...they got in seven schools and the SEC only had five...when you make comments, "Is the Big East even a major conference anymore?" Shows me an elitist attitude...they are one of the strongest basketball conferences in the country...it is just those Power Five conferences that look down upon all others because of income generated from their football programs...As an example, before Spurrier came to coach football, the Gamecocks were just a run of the mill program in almost everything except for baseball but their fans all seemed to think they were relevant in all sports...such is the mindset of Power Five Conferences - which used to be BCS schools until the BEast schools moved to a basketball only conference...

We might lose Saturday but please do not try to equate the University of South Carolina with Gonzaga University regarding Men's Basketball...

RenoZag
03-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Zags 63
'Cocks 61

USCJeremyinCali
03-28-2017, 10:54 PM
I have a friend in Columbia and he is a Gamecock fan and when he was hired at SC I told him this man is horrible to his players...always yelling and belittling them...I saw him at Kansas City when we played him and he was atrocious...He was chastised by the school and changed a lot but still, his stairs are just pathetic IMO...I have seen Coach Knight and didn't like his style either...I am not sure where these coaches "learned" to treat their players with such disrespect, because they wouldn't tolerate their AD's testing them the same way...

GU 63-62
One other note...the Big East is a much stronger conference than the SEC...they got in seven schools and the SEC only had five...when you make comments, "Is the Big East even a major conference anymore?" Shows me an elitist attitude...they are one of the strongest basketball conferences in the country...it is just those Power Five conferences that look down upon all others because of income generated from their football programs...As an example, before Spurrier came to coach football, the Gamecocks were just a run of the mill program in almost everything except for baseball but their fans all seemed to think they were relevant in all sports...such is the mindset of Power Five Conferences - which used to be BCS schools until the BEast schools moved to a basketball only conference...

We might lose Saturday but please do not try to equate the University of South Carolina with Gonzaga University regarding Men's Basketball...

No it wasn't an elitist comment. So many major schools have left the Big East that there are a lot of mid major schools in the Big East now that I didn't know if it is still considered a power 5 conference. It's a legitimate question.

And yeah, the SEC got 5. The ACC got most of their conference in. SEC went 4-1 in the first round while the ACC went 1-5 in round 2. SEC got 3 teams in the Elite 8. And as close as we are to the ACC, we know everything there is to know about basketball snobbery and looking down on conferences that others think are less. So it feels good to prove ourselves once again as one of the "weak" power 5 conferences who was looked down upon this year in basketball.

As for Frank Martin, don't compare him to Bobby Knight. Don't believe everything you see on TV. Listen to what other coaches have said about Martin. He is a completely different man off the court. You guys (as well as many of us) haven't seen that side of him. He is an incredibly nice, humble, and likable guy. He is intense and passionate. He holds high standards. But two things to remember 1) these kids know this about him when they go to play for him and 2) they absolutely love him when they get there (look at the love his players have had for him in this tournament). He's tough but he really cares.

And seriously, NO ONE has tried to compare South Carolina basketball to Gonzaga. We won our first tournament game in 44 years and now are in the Final 4. Where on earth did you get this idea that anyone was comparing these two programs?

USCJeremyinCali
03-28-2017, 10:58 PM
You going with head or heart? We need to know for scoring purposes.

Both.

If South Carolina wins, my team is playing for a national championship.

If Gonzaga wins, I just won my office bracket pool.

I win either way (although my heart winning would still be better).

Zagdawg
03-29-2017, 07:05 AM
The Seven Biggest Final Four Storylines

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/29/the-seven-biggest-final-four-storylines/

LongIslandZagFan
03-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Both.

If South Carolina wins, my team is playing for a national championship.

If Gonzaga wins, I just won my office bracket pool.

I win either way (although my heart winning would still be better).

You don't understand... we track and score predictions... need to know which to use for you.

Zagdawg
03-29-2017, 07:43 AM
http://www.wccsports.com/news/no-1-gonzaga-ready-for-final-four-debut-03-28-2017

team6
03-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Gonzaga 73
South Carolina 59

I'm really interested to see how the guys handle the added pressure. They've played in so many pressure situations this year and save for BYU seemed to have handled it great. I know Few will have them ready, I expect it to be close until about the 10 minute mark. If we will I will be crying and yelling and jumping around. This still feels like a dream.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2017, 09:04 AM
No it wasn't an elitist comment. So many major schools have left the Big East that there are a lot of mid major schools in the Big East now that I didn't know if it is still considered a power 5 conference. It's a legitimate question.

And yeah, the SEC got 5. The ACC got most of their conference in. SEC went 4-1 in the first round while the ACC went 1-5 in round 2. SEC got 3 teams in the Elite 8. And as close as we are to the ACC, we know everything there is to know about basketball snobbery and looking down on conferences that others think are less. So it feels good to prove ourselves once again as one of the "weak" power 5 conferences who was looked down upon this year in basketball.

As for Frank Martin, don't compare him to Bobby Knight. Don't believe everything you see on TV. Listen to what other coaches have said about Martin. He is a completely different man off the court. You guys (as well as many of us) haven't seen that side of him. He is an incredibly nice, humble, and likable guy. He is intense and passionate. He holds high standards. But two things to remember 1) these kids know this about him when they go to play for him and 2) they absolutely love him when they get there (look at the love his players have had for him in this tournament). He's tough but he really cares.

And seriously, NO ONE has tried to compare South Carolina basketball to Gonzaga. We won our first tournament game in 44 years and now are in the Final 4. Where on earth did you get this idea that anyone was comparing these two programs?

Any conference that can get nearly $50 million a year from TV for the next 12 years is a Power Conference, IMHO. That's $4-$5 million per year, per team. It is a storied conference that plays on the East Coast. WCC will never compare in that regard. Shoot, we have had multiple threads talking about the big paydays coming from the tournament.

Zippa dee doo dah, the WCC's performance this year is 7 units, $11 million to be spread over six years. Compare that to the Big East, that had six or 7 teams in the dance, on top of the $50 million they get from TV?

Good luck on Saturday.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Gonzaga 73
South Carolina 59

I'm really interested to see how the guys handle the added pressure. They've played in so many pressure situations this year and save for BYU seemed to have handled it great. I know Few will have them ready, I expect it to be close until about the 10 minute mark. If we will I will be crying and yelling and jumping around. This still feels like a dream.

IMO, BYU popped the balloon when it came to pressure. To enter the tournament undefeated would have made the targets on our backs 10 times larger.

USCJeremyinCali
03-29-2017, 09:13 AM
You don't understand... we track and score predictions... need to know which to use for you.

I'm a logical stat guy. I will go with my head. I hope I am wrong.

gozagswoohoo
03-29-2017, 09:13 AM
POP QUIZ:

Would you guys rather have---

A) Not lost to BYU, and we entered the tournament undefeated and then went on to win the National Championship with a perfect record.

-or-

B) Lost to BYU like we did, won the National Championship with a 1-loss season.

Let me know and I will tally the votes.

team6
03-29-2017, 09:14 AM
IMO, BYU popped the balloon when it came to pressure. To enter the tournament undefeated would have made the targets on our backs 10 times larger.

Oh I agree with you completely on that, I even posted that I wasn't upset about the loss at all because it was like a weight lifted off their shoulders.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2017, 10:41 AM
POP QUIZ:

Would you guys rather have---

A) Not lost to BYU, and we entered the tournament undefeated and then went on to win the National Championship with a perfect record.

-or-

B) Lost to BYU like we did, won the National Championship with a 1-loss season.

Let me know and I will tally the votes.

I'm going off the reservation, woohoo, but the blue blood experts will say an NC will be tainted, because we didn't have enough "quality wins" during the year. Personally, the BYU loss was a positive, i.e. the coaches were given a new teaching tool at the right time of year.

zagdontzig
03-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Make your free throws and I like our chances.

Bingo

hegotit!
03-29-2017, 10:58 AM
I think this game will be similar to the Xavier game, weren't they supposed to have a suffocating defense too? I think we solve their defense and have a good day shooting.

GU 79
SC 61

mgadfly
03-29-2017, 11:42 AM
I think South Carolina is a fantastic team with a great coach playing their best ball of the season right now. But basketball is a game of matchups, if anything, and I think GU matches up very well.

USC gets their points at the rim by converting in close or drawing fouls. They are 255th in 3 pointer point distribution (in other words, they don't rely on shooting many threes). They are 246th on 3 point percentage. During the tournament they are 25 of 76 from range, just a hair below their season average. I do not see them suddenly becoming a great three point shooting team against a top 5 3FG% defense and top 40 team at preventing 3 point shots (and that's top 40 even though GU was playing with leads almost the entire season).

So the question is whether GU can protect the rim.

GU is #1 in 2 point FG%. They block a ton of shots and Karnowski bothers a lot of offenses by eating up so much space. GU protects the rim without putting the other team on the free throw line very often. The last team that made more free throws than USC was Alabama and they won that game. My prediction is Thornwell gets his, but the rest of the offense stutters for USC as they can't get to the rim.

On the other end, USC lives by disrupting the guards with pressure. Once the ball is inside, their defense has struggled against bigs. Leon and Hayes for Florida were super efficient (143 and 124 Orating for the game) and combine for 26 points and 14 rebounds. They are 6'8" and 6'9" and don't weigh 220 lbs. Baylor's top 2 scorers in their game were the PF and C. Amile Jefferson put up 19 points, 15 rebounds, and 6 blocks before Duke's 6 man rotation was worn out. Luke Fischer only had 8 and 6 for Marquette, but he played only 13 minutes due to foul trouble. In their last two losses Braxton Key (6'8" 225 lbs freshman) had 18 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists while 6'9" 240 lbs Sebastian Saiz had 21 points, 15 rebounds and 3 blocks.

The best chance of success against USC is to attack Silva and Kotsar. Both players foul a ton and may not be on the floor for the whole game if they get in foul trouble. GU is one of the top 5 teams in the country for pounding the ball into the post as well as one of the most efficient while doing so. GU is committed (to a fault, see the South Dakota State first half) to scoring inside-out. If I was USCs coaching staff, and being honest, I'd not want to face a team that has interior depth that protects the rim and pounds the ball inside on offense. But that's the matchup.

It is not a fluke that USC is in the Final Four and they are playing great. But I think GU might be their kryptonite and things could get ugly.

GU 70, USC 54.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2017, 12:14 PM
This is the game where J3 rights his FT woes. If he and Shem can hit 60% from the line (they were 3-11 against Xavier), Zags win in double digits. And Nigel's NOT going to repeat his 5-8 FTs, either.

Ok, I'll say: GU 69, USC 49.

ZagLawGrad
03-29-2017, 12:46 PM
This is the game where J3 rights his FT woes. If he and Shem can hit 60% from the line (they were 3-11 against Xavier), Zags win in double digits. And Nigel's NOT going to repeat his 5-8 FTs, either.

:cheers::cheers:

P.S. Love it, TZF. But you haven't been into the Lone Star today, have ya? :)

Hoopaholic
03-29-2017, 12:53 PM
SC tries to run with Zags but cant keep up due to rebounding ability.

SC is dared to make the three ball knowing where Thornwell is and Felder when he comes in, thus struggle in half court sets

Zags play a 3-2 zone or possibly a 1-2-2 zone (better rebounding assignments out of this) to contain the dribble penetration and ensure attention to shooters with hand in face

Zags 68
SC 59

Mr Vulture
03-29-2017, 02:20 PM
I'm comfortable enough in analyzing this matchup that I think the Zags cover the spread fairly easily. Zags D shuts down Gamecocks O while the Gamecocks D slows down Zags O a bit.

Gonzaga - 75
South Carolina - 63

77Zag
03-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Zags 73
Cocks 62

Defense carries the day....Go Zags!

Go Zags - Beat the Game Cocks!!

Goshzagit
03-29-2017, 03:37 PM
There is a reason South Carolina lost to 'Bama twice, and Frank Martin mentioned it in his presser.

Alabama has two of the biggest post players in the SEC.

gbnyba17
03-29-2017, 04:05 PM
69-59, Zags

DixieZag
03-29-2017, 04:56 PM

FTs will definitely be a key.

But, I don't think this dam dome is where J3 and Karno will cure their woes. I am hoping the rest of the team gets plenty and they get very few as they become more dependent on the 3 ball.

Once and Future Zag
03-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Neither team has seen as good a defense (by the numbers) as the one they will face on Saturday.

By the numbers - this will be the fifth best offense that SoCar has seen this season - SoCar is 4-1 in those games

By the numbers - this will be the tenth best offense that GU has seen (even after their recent hot play), and GU has gone 13-1 in those games

Our defense is actually MORE battle-tested than SoCar's.

That's not to say that the 'cocks can't win this game, or that it would even really be a surprise that they did... but there's one team's defense that's definitely been tested more than the other.

Also - against top-30 defenses, SoCar is 3-4, GU is 7-0

My prediction: GU 78 - SC 73

Birddog
03-29-2017, 06:32 PM
I want to see a big "W"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r97Nv8N7-mI

adoptedzag
03-29-2017, 07:00 PM
Zags 81
USC 64

Honestly, I just don't see this being much of a game. Teams revert to the mean after 3 weeks, USC has been playing waaaaaaaaaay above their heads offensively. I think their offensive struggles turn into run-outs for the Zags. Call it homerism or whatever. Makes no mind to me.

Zaga
03-30-2017, 05:09 AM
64-58 Gonzaga!

Reborn
03-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Gonzaga 73
So Carolina 62

This is going to be a great game.

You know me. I love seeing the Zags making their 3 point shots. I love it when our Ninja Shooters are on FIRE.

I hope to see a fire inside our Zags that burns REAL HOT. Let's call it an inextinguishable fire. It's that kind of fire that is so hot that it turns blue and burns as smooth as silk.

Go Zags!!!

All Weather Fan
03-31-2017, 12:19 PM
The Final Four is now at hand.
Last teams standing in all the land.
80 minutes is all that remain
to finally claim their rightful domain.
Zags win it all, strike up the band !

ZagOD7540
03-31-2017, 12:25 PM

That guy doesn't know his head from his a**. Looks like a Saturday Night Live skit. I think they are reporting from his mom's basement.

MJ777
03-31-2017, 12:33 PM
The run that USC has been on kind of reminds me of the 06 U Florida team that won the tournament. I hope the run ends tomorrow.

I heard Randy Bennett on KJR in Seattle yesterday with Softy. He was very complimentary of the Zags and Few. Softy the Husky honk kept saying Ore-gone and Gun-Zoga in his attempt to be funny.

Zags11
03-31-2017, 01:01 PM
Seems to people south Carolina vs north Carolina is title game. Or they wish. I still feel we win even though I'm nervous.

All Weather Fan
03-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Zags - 68
Gamecocks - 61

maynard g krebs
03-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Zags 71-62.

MDABE80
03-31-2017, 02:00 PM
If our defense plays like it has and if the shooters keep doing well, we win by 10. I think Williams 3 is key to stopping Sidarius.
That kid is a first team AA and does everything for the other 4. If he's controlled, bet on a big win for the Zags.

upan8th
03-31-2017, 03:22 PM
With fewer than five minutes to go in the Xavier game I thought it'd be entertaining to tune in to the celebration on this Board's game thread, though, to a sane person, it's not something I'd generally recommend. With GU up by 16 or 18, three minutes left, the entertainment came from comments like this (paraphrased): "Come on guys, we can do this. Ya gotta believe! Hang on! Three more minutes! No defensive shell! Keep attacking! I can't believe it - we might win this. We've got a chance!" That's what so many consecutive years of ultimate frustration and media carping can do to a fan's perspective. Believe me, I've been one of those whose delicate psyche has been pummeled by tournament results.

But, here's the thing: That's over. The oppressive weight has been removed by what this year's group has accomplished. I sense the team and coaches feel the same way. Playing with house money, still focused (especially defensively), I expect them to win this game even if they play much less than their best. Performing near their potential -which has yet to happen this year- it won't be a contest. But, if they don't win, I won't whine and moan about it as I have in the past. As Joel McCrae said in one of the all time great Westerns: "All I want is to enter my house justified." The Zags have come home and justified everyone of us: GU 67 USC 65.

CDC84
03-31-2017, 04:05 PM
Zags 67
SC 55

Both teams possess outstanding defenses. Zags must be strong with the ball, not turn it over, and figure out a way to get Karno involved in the offense against that vicious zone. They must hit some threes, and keep Thornwell from going crazy. In the end the difference between the two teams will be the Zags' vastly superior offense. If GU loses this game it will sting like crazy, because they will only have themselves to blame. They are more talented, and again....in a game between two teams with first rate defenses, I just can't see SC scoring more on the Zags than vice versa.

Zag4Hire
03-31-2017, 05:04 PM
Hard one to size up here so gotta lean on the gut. Sounds like people are buying down the hook at -6 1/2 to feel comfortable with GU which seems a bit crazy. I can't see how GU doesn't rock this team. SC has faced largely offensive oriented teams and able to put them in their place in considerable fashion. I think the GU scouting tape, both for O&D, would drive most coaching staffs crazy. Does GU go zone or M2M? The zone was surprisingly very effective and who do you focus on stopping? Do you double down on Shem? If not, careful. I think GU has been supremely effective at probing what the defensive set-up is going to be and exploit it. Some opposing staffs have been stubborn and suffered accordingly. Again, JW is going to make his presence known--he is just a beast on the glass and at the rim on offense. He even tweaked his 'my aunt shooting at the carnival' style into something a bit more effective. Just do your job and the rest will take care of itself.

TOs GU v Opp: 9/13; 14/13; 16/13; 10/11
SC v Opp: 9/18; 11/18; 16/16; 11/16

Have to think the cut-off is going to be 14 TOs and anything in 16-18 range is danger zone and 18+ would be dreadful.

In FT dept, SC seems to get to line an awful lot but doesn't cash in as much as one would hope. They did cash in during the Duke game.

If I had to circle one thing, it would be Silva. He has a box sheet filler sheet...including fouls. Definitely foul trouble guy with 3 or 4 in every game. Get into this guy early and often and get him on the bench. Make Thornwell think he needs to do everything.

O/U is at 138 and I think both teams perform well on defense and struggle with adjustment to NFL stadium shooting. Key is to take it to the rack and let bigs go to work down low. Just when my head says it should be a 10+ win for GU, I just keep getting a scary feeling and think otherwise.

Aww whatever. Give me the chalk (-6.5) and the under.

Zags 72
Game Hens 65

ZagzKrak
03-31-2017, 06:16 PM
Zags 81
USC 68

ProVeeZag
03-31-2017, 08:04 PM
If I had to circle one thing, it would be Silva. He has a box sheet filler sheet...including fouls. Definitely foul trouble guy with 3 or 4 in every game. Get into this guy early and often and get him on the bench. Make Thornwell think he needs to do everything.

Zags 72
Game Hens 65

Zag4Hire, like your post and your plain-speak style. Takin' it at Silva could be good strategy. I think Zags pound it inside until USC proves it can stop our Bigs. If refs call this one straight-up, Zags will roll.

GU 78
USC 67

JPW314159
03-31-2017, 09:30 PM
The score is found in the digits of pi somewhere, just a question of which digits.
Let's see: 3.14159265358979323846264.... I'll go with Zags 79 South Carolina 64

Zagregious
03-31-2017, 11:34 PM
The score is found in the digits of pi somewhere, just a question of which digits.
Let's see: 3.14159265358979323846264.... I'll go with Zags 79 South Carolina 64

I'm hoping for some celebration pie after a FF win. America's team, all-American city...

Apple pie. 65-62 Zags.

Zagceo
04-01-2017, 12:19 AM
75-60

LongIslandZagFan
04-01-2017, 05:42 AM
You will all be happy to know that only scores after this are subject to beer impaired data entry.

tummydoc
04-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Maynard took my close score, so what the hell...go big or go home. Zags 85, cocks 63

Go Zags

cjm720
04-01-2017, 07:19 AM
77 Zags
59 'Cocks

We hold Thornwell to under 17

cjm720
04-01-2017, 07:20 AM
You will all be happy to know that only scores after this are subject to beer impaired data entry.

A benefit of the time zone I would assume?! What a day!!!! Go Zags!!!!!

ZenZag
04-01-2017, 07:42 AM
Zags - 73
SC - 69

MickMick
04-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Just reproduce the defensive effort they had against West Virginia and they will win comfortably.

I am still outraged that every national pundit refuses to attribute West Virginia's loss to GU's defense, but instead calls it a bad shooting night, while at the same time, giving South Carolina's defense proper due for getting them this far.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Just reproduce the defensive effort they had against West Virginia and they will win comfortably.

I am still outraged that every national pundit refuses to attribute West Virginia's loss to GU's defense, but instead calls it a bad shooting night, while at the same time, giving South Carolina's defense proper due for getting them this far.

Yup.

rennis
04-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Zags - 68
Gamecocks - 61

I'm going to Price is Right this pick and say 68-62

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katman50
04-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Just hoping for a win. The Zags by 4.

BlufftonGamecock
04-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Gamecock here. I am really looking forward to what I believe is going to be a great game. Two great defensive teams battling it out to the end. I think this one is going to be a low scoring (under 70) battle that if we are going to have a chance in our two bigs have to stay out of foul trouble. Thornwell will do what he always does but he is going to need help for us to win. Silva is going to have to play smart and not make the stupid fouls that he has a tendency to do because we really need him under the basket. Dozier can be a very streaky shooter but when he's on look out. Well here's to a great game, honestly I never thought that we would get this far but have been really impressed with the way we have played in this tournament. I do think that all the pressure is on you guys since we were never expected to get this far. I can't wish ya'll luck but here's to no injuries!

MJ777
04-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Wow Charles picked the Zags to cut down the nets. They are 40 minutes away from the opportunity. Play tougher than USC and they'll have their chance.

MJ777
04-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Just hoping for a win. The Zags by 4.

Good call.

USCJeremyinCali
04-01-2017, 06:49 PM
I picked the Zags by 3. Good game. Good luck in the championship.

Ezag
04-01-2017, 06:54 PM
I repeat Bill Walton.. not bad for a team from a truck stop conference

Alum08
04-01-2017, 06:55 PM
I think Sindarius scores 30 points on us and we still win 76-73.

Off by 1 but totally miscalled Sindarius' stats. Granted that was before he had the flu.