PDA

View Full Version : Sindarius Thornwell = best player in the tournament & best player we will have faced

demian
03-26-2017, 07:42 PM
In my opinion I think Sindarius Thornwell is the best player I have seen in this years tournament and also I think he is the best player our beloved Zags will have played against this season. Very good two way player.

JP Dozier is silky smooth too.

Chris Silvia is a very tough low post player

Duane Notice is a good player also.

This is a very tough opponent. When they are playing hot (which they have been obviously for a solid week now) I think this is the best opponent I have seen us face this season.

Outraged
03-26-2017, 07:56 PM
I think everyone that have come this far have proved themselves. I think its fifty fifty from here on out.

Reborn
03-26-2017, 07:58 PM
I'm not so sure of that. They said that about Trevon Bluiett from Xavier too, and we held him to ten points. I'm not saying that Thornwell isn't great because he is, but the Zags have faced some pretty good players this year. Bluiett was really good Dame. He was killing everyone Xavier played in the tournament. I also believe that Jackson from North Carolina is better. He is so tall for a wing, and big. Bigger than Thronwell.

demian
03-26-2017, 07:59 PM
I think everyone that have come this far have proved themselves. I think its fifty fifty from here on out.

No argument from me on that

gonzagafan62
03-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Imo he is the best player we will have faced in touney. Next would be Blueitt, Macura, Carter

CDC84
03-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Of course Zag fans will remember the name Duane Notice.....

demian
03-26-2017, 08:10 PM
I'm not so sure of that. They said that about Trevon Bluiett from Xavier too, and we held him to ten points. I'm not saying that Thornwell isn't great because he is, but the Zags have faced some pretty good players this year. Bluiett was really good Dame. He was killing everyone Xavier played in the tournament. I also believe that Jackson from North Carolina is better. He is so tall for a wing, and big. Bigger than Thronwell.

Yeah to me Thornwell is very impressive. Then I look at his season stats and I'm very imorsssed (21.4 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.9 assts)

Justin Jackson stats for season 18.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.8 assts

Trevon Bluiett stats for season 18.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.1 assts

Thornwells stats are better than those guys and better than Dillon brooks of Oregon and better stats than a lot of guys, plus to me he is a very good defender. He passes the eyeball test to me in a lot of categories. Justin Jackson is great for UNC, so is Brooks and Bluiett as well. Thornwell is my fave NON Zag player.

demian
03-26-2017, 08:12 PM

Help me out why should I remember the name. I'm intrigued

demian
03-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Imo he is the best player we will have faced in touney. Next would be Blueitt, Macura, Carter

Yes those guys were great also

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 08:35 PM

Pangos best friend and desperately wanted to be a Zag, but the offer never came so he went to South Carolina.

kitzbuel
03-26-2017, 08:36 PM

He and Kevin Pangos are buds. He had passing interest in coming to GU.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?30663-Duane-Notice-lists-Gonzaga-in-his-top-4&highlight=Duane+Notice

demian
03-26-2017, 08:49 PM
Pangos best friend and desperately wanted to be a Zag, but the offer never came so he went to South Carolina.

Oh wow, I would've like to see us offer him. Oh well. Things have worked out welll for all involved. He is a very good player for his team.

demian
03-26-2017, 08:50 PM
He and Kevin Pangos are buds. He had passing interest in coming to GU.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?30663-Duane-Notice-lists-Gonzaga-in-his-top-4&highlight=Duane+Notice

Very cool to read all the posts in the thread that you copied (thx for sharing that thread) from many years ago.

Zagricultural
03-26-2017, 08:58 PM
I hope the team isn't feeling as complacent as I am. So happy to be playing in the final four I cannot summon a lot of anxiety for this game. I am sure once Martin is showing from the sideline I will though.

cggonzaga
03-26-2017, 10:37 PM
In my opinion I think Sindarius Thornwell is the best player I have seen in this years tournament and also I think he is the best player our beloved Zags will have played against this season. Very good two way player.

This is a very tough opponent. When they are playing hot (which they have been obviously for a solid week now) I think this is the best opponent I have seen us face this season.

I'll respectfully disagree. They are very hot and playing well right now. Thornwell is very good and maybe the best player we've played against. I love the matchup though. I think WV was the best team we played this year however. South Carolina does not match up well with us at all and they have a very short bench. Not that they don't play guys off the bench but they fall off big time when doing so. We will murder them down low. I look at them as a slightly better Xavier team. If give them the edge with the starting five but I think xavier has a better bench.

CDC84
03-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Thornwell was the SEC POY. Not Monk and Fox from UK or anyone else.

Tough customer.

ProVeeZag
03-26-2017, 10:44 PM

Hard not to! (Notice, that is)

What an unusual surname...

adoptedzag
03-26-2017, 11:17 PM

So, that was the story from the get-go. Oh, this person is the best scorer on the hottest team in the tournament! (See: Daum, McIntosh, Carter, Bluiett) Each time we've limited the damage done by that player and held their counterparts down as well. Everyone on their board is convinced that Thornwell will be the one to finally break through. He might, but he's going to have to beat us on his own. I'd like to flip the script. How do they deal with Shem/Z-Bo/J3/Tillie when they only go 2-deep at the F/C position? Take a look back at the box scores, Silva is a fouling machine, and Kotsar is... decent, but if we don't have 2 fouls on each of them by the under 12 of the first half, I'll be very disappointed. Then they'll have to sag in to help on our 5. That's when we've got them.

I love their team, I didn't want to play them because I attended the university for a while. I wanted to dispatch them and enjoy tasting their tears:

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/48178647/cartman-delicious-tears-mmmmm-mike-let-me-taste-your-tears-mmmm-yes-your-tears-are-so-sweet-and-yumm.jpg

Honestly, I don't think this is going to be much of a game. That may be homerism, but I feel like given the matchups, we will be playing on Monday, and the Advanced Metrics agree with me.

CanadianZagsFan
03-27-2017, 01:43 AM
Thornwell was the SEC POY. Not Monk and Fox from UK or anyone else.

Tough customer.

Yes a strong point most forget. I look forward to the challenge. I think he could beat the Zags if we only had JW111 and Karn. Say JW111 got in foul trouble guarding him early on, we'd be screwed.

But, with Collins/Tillie/Rui even Jones as 4th-5th option feel very confident. Use fouls on him like teams did with Shaq Lakers, make his life miserable. If their centre , European starting freshmen , bench guy beat us good on them they deserved it and fate was on their side.

I can't see Few not coming up with solid gameplan to contain him. I don't think he's Melo Syracuse level. Melo was something else that March run.

Zagger
03-27-2017, 03:23 AM
Here's who they've lost to: Seton Hall, Memphis, Kentucky, Clemson, Alabama x 2, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Florida, and Ole Miss. They've played well during the tourney and I especially like that they sent Dook home. But, the teams that have met the Zags so far in the tourney played well until meeting these Zags. Can't discount a hot team for sure. I'm liking the chances of our D though. And I feel the Zags will be the better prepared team - 10 deep if needed.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-27-2017, 04:08 AM
Gamecocks big guards, Thornwell and Dozier, are studs...6'5" and 6'6", rebound, penetrate and score through contact, can knock down 3's. They will look to penetrate right into PK and Williams to draw fouls. My guess is neither team will shoot well from distance in the big stadium....hate that NCAA plays the biggest basketball games of the year in football stadiums.

Zags gotta pound it inside, keep SC's big guards off the glass and out of the lane.

Outraged
03-27-2017, 05:26 AM
I got lost somewhere in this story. What did Wellthorn do to end up all the way across country at a school that got him to the exact same spot he would be in if he did not flee the zags. This is beginning to be like a scene straight out of hot tub time machine.

Zagsker
03-27-2017, 07:11 AM
Sindarious Thornwell...didn't he get kicked out of Hogwarts?

Reborn
03-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Yeah to me Thornwell is very impressive. Then I look at his season stats and I'm very imorsssed (21.4 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.9 assts)

Justin Jackson stats for season 18.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.8 assts

Trevon Bluiett stats for season 18.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.1 assts

Thornwells stats are better than those guys and better than Dillon brooks of Oregon and better stats than a lot of guys, plus to me he is a very good defender. He passes the eyeball test to me in a lot of categories. Justin Jackson is great for UNC, so is Brooks and Bluiett as well. Thornwell is my fave NON Zag player.

I'm listening to Bracket Breakdown on one of the CBS channels CBSSD, and the analysts on the show agree with you Demian. Thornwell does appear to be the best player in the Tournament. It's easy for me to see how he has the highest average. He's by far the most important offensive player., and is expected to carry them on offense. Whereas Jackson has a lot of talent around him and he's just so dang big. Thornwell is certainly a very big 3 also, but not quite as tall as Jackson. Jackson is 6' 8". However, Thornwell scores in more ways. He has many ways to score. Whereas Jackson is mostly an outside shooter. Hopefully we'll get to play against both of them.

I like how Gonzaga defended Bluiett, and held him to ten points. Bluiett was as valuable to Xavier as Thorwell is to So Carolina. Like Cromwell, Bluiett could score in so many ways. So I'm excited to see how Gonzaga defends Cromwell. I am really impressed with Dozier also. He's 6'6" and has a very good jump shot.

ZagLawGrad
03-27-2017, 07:27 AM
One player ain't beating the Zags (Steph Curry excluded).

northsidezagfan
03-27-2017, 07:29 AM
Sindarious Thornwell...didn't he get kicked out of Hogwarts?

:000tens:

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 07:31 AM
One player ain't beating the Zags (Steph Curry excluded).

Mr. Thornwell, meet Mr. Williams III. You're going to be seeing a lot of him, up close and personal, on Saturday night.

former1dog
03-27-2017, 07:50 AM
Thornwell is a very good player. My guess is he'll get his points because he's a very smooth offensive player. I don't think the rest of USC's team will do as well against our defense. The young Euro player for them will have great difficulty scoring against any of our bigs.

The key to this game is how USC will handle our outside/in game. They're going to fight hard and it won't be easy for us, but ultimately I don't think they have the answer to our wave of big guys who can score, rebound and pass.

demian
03-27-2017, 08:41 AM
I'm listening to Bracket Breakdown on one of the CBS channels CBSSD, and the analysts on the show agree with you Demian. Thornwell does appear to be the best player in the Tournament. It's easy for me to see how he has the highest average. He's by far the most important offensive player., and is expected to carry them on offense. Whereas Jackson has a lot of talent around him and he's just so dang big. Thornwell is certainly a very big 3 also, but not quite as tall as Jackson. Jackson is 6' 8". However, Thornwell scores in more ways. He has many ways to score. Whereas Jackson is mostly an outside shooter. Hopefully we'll get to play against both of them.

I like how Gonzaga defended Bluiett, and held him to ten points. Bluiett was as valuable to Xavier as Thorwell is to So Carolina. Like Cromwell, Bluiett could score in so many ways. So I'm excited to see how Gonzaga defends Cromwell. I am really impressed with Dozier also. He's 6'6" and has a very good jump shot.

Oh yeah Dozier seems very good to me. We better figure out how to not let there guards penetrate like we seemed to struggle mightily with Xavier's penetration. Thornwell I noticed most of 2nd half went down to the low block and posted up Florida defender vs the man to man and he scored repeatedly that way. Have we ever played 3 bigs at same time this year? If so we voild put Jonathan Williams on thornwell and the other two bigs guard there PF & center. Or Mathews stick with thornwell and Williams on dozier. Or are we best to stick with nwg, Perkins, Mathews/Melson matchup against there PG, SG, SF and play with our two bigs vs there two bigs. Does zone help us this week (even tho I hate zone cuz we could get smashed on offensive rebounds by South Carolina)?

tinfoilzag
03-27-2017, 09:08 AM
They are kind of a mix of WV and Xavier. Great defense like WV (without the constant muggings) and big guards that do it all.

They rely heavily on a star guard for offense. They play great, physical defense. A lot of 2-man, pick and roll. They drive you off the ball, try to initiate contact to go to the line, and crash the boards. They don't run much offense and do not shoot well from the field. They can be streaky at the 3 point line.

Like Xavier and WV, they have no answer for our size. Their best bet is to get bigs in foul trouble when they have to help defend the rim by dribble penetrating. They can't foul constantly on defense like WV because their starters play almost all of their minutes.

They cannot let us have easy baskets and expect to win so we need to hit our free throws.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-27-2017, 09:39 AM
So what you are saying is that to advance and win it all, we are going to have to play a couple of the best players in the nation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 09:46 AM
So what you are saying is that to advance and win it all, we are going to have to play a couple of the best players in the nation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thornwell has been moving up the draft boards, but is nowhere near the First Round. If Few puts J3 on him, he may fall completely off the board.

tinfoilzag
03-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Dozier and Thornwell are very talented. Talented enough to be discussed by NBA teams.

Best in the nation? It's a big nation.

Zagdawg
03-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Don't see Williams staying in front of him or chasing him through screens--- and we don't want Williams saddled with 2 fouls in the first 3 mins of the game.

I see it as defense by committee -- Perkins/Melson/NWG/Mathews and play a denial game -- make the rest of the team beat us.

Hoopaholic
03-27-2017, 11:15 AM
dont see JW3 on him at all as that creates matchup issues with Silva then

Goss, Mathews or Melson IMO

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Don't see Williams staying in front of him or chasing him through screens--- and we don't want Williams saddled with 2 fouls in the first 3 mins of the game.

I see it as defense by committee -- Perkins/Melson/NWG/Mathews and play a denial game -- make the rest of the team beat us.

We have four guards who are each excellent athletes and tough defenders. This is a luxury that Coach Few never had. He has always relied on one or two defensive stoppers to shadow the best scorers on opposing teams. This groups can take turns to keep fresh legs on great scorers. It is even better that those guards are backed up by four excellent rim protectors.

There is no need for one player to do this alone.

MontanaCoyote
03-27-2017, 12:43 PM

Kind of like the last seconds of the WVU game on occasion. Well, maybe not quite that intense, but make sure this guy is really covered.

Doubt that SCU has seen a D as good as ours. We should be OK.

Reborn
03-27-2017, 01:13 PM
My guess is Perkins will guard their point guard, NWG on Dozier, and Mathews and Melson on Thornwell. That's how Few's been matching them most of the time. I think Williams will guard Silva. I like Williams Goss on Dozier. I think Nygel can handle him. And don't count Mathews and Melson out on Thornwell. Both of our guys are very good defenders.

Hoopaholic
03-27-2017, 01:54 PM
My guess is Perkins will guard their point guard, NWG on Dozier, and Mathews and Melson on Thornwell. That's how Few's been matching them most of the time. I think Williams will guard Silva. I like Williams Goss on Dozier. I think Nygel can handle him. And don't count Mathews and Melson out on Thornwell. Both of our guys are very good defenders.

look for NOTICE to try and use his size advantage against Perkins when they are matched up.....Perkins will need to use his quickness to offset the powwer of NOTICE

CDC84
03-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Medcalf says that Thornwell will be locked in on Nigel if they should go man or use the extended zone.

Hoopaholic
03-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Medcalf says that Thornwell will be locked in on Nigel if they should go man or use the extended zone.

Sweeeeet. That takes him out of rebounding zone and puts pressure on him in fast break situations

cggonzaga
03-27-2017, 05:29 PM

I agree completely zagdawg. Williams might guard him a little bit if the others can't stop him. He's only 6'5" but he's very strong. I like Matthews starting out on him but also see NWG and Melson getting their turns. I'd actually rather go to Tillie before Williams. No need to get JIII in any kind of foul trouble.