PDA

View Full Version : higher field goal % than other team in every single game

nonzagzag
03-26-2017, 06:35 PM
It was mentioned a couple of times on TV this weekend: Zags have higher field goal percentage than opponent every single game this year and in fact a streak of forty-something games going back to last season - longest streak in over 20 years in D1 MBB

MJ777
03-26-2017, 08:09 PM
It was mentioned a couple of times on TV this weekend: Zags have higher field goal percentage than opponent every single game this year and in fact a streak of forty-something games going back to last season - longest streak in over 20 years in D1 MBB

And most importantly they scored more points than every opponent.

229SintoZag
03-26-2017, 11:13 PM
And most importantly they scored more points than every opponent.

Except BYU.

I'd like to still be undefeated, but we did lose one game.

El Zag
03-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Not all FGs are equal. Mack says Zags are 290th as a team relying on the 3 point shot .

Shooting 50% from behind the arc = shooting 75% from inside the arc as far as the scoreboard reads.

GoZags
03-27-2017, 05:51 AM
Not all FGs are equal. Mack says Zags are 290th as a team relying on the 3 point shot .

Shooting 50% from behind the arc = shooting 75% from inside the arc as far as the scoreboard reads.

I noticed that statement too, and was wondering that the quick turnaround time resulted in an error in their prep. He seemed surprised that we hit threes .... and even commented on J3's three (J3 is hitting .405 on threes).

The bottom line is the Zags are 55th (not 290th).

I just hope they stay hot ....

caduceus
03-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Mack wasn't talking about shooting percentages. He was talking about attempts. Currently for the season (after Xavier game), the Zags have made 19.2 3PA/GM, which is #245 in Division I. I don't have the number in front of me, but as a percentage of total field goals attempted (2P and 3P), it wouldn't surprise me if it's around #290th for 3PA/FGA.

That said, Mack's argument and approach to the game clearly was a wrong one, since our 3P completion rate is so very good. He took a major gamble, and lost.

soccerdud
03-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Mack wasn't talking about shooting percentages. He was talking about attempts. Currently for the season (after Xavier game), the Zags have made 19.2 3PA/GM, which is #245 in Division I. I don't have the number in front of me, but as a percentage of total field goals attempted (2P and 3P), it wouldn't surprise me if it's around #290th for 3PA/FGA.

That said, Mack's argument and approach to the game clearly was a wrong one, since our 3P completion rate is so very good. He took a major gamble, and lost.

according to kenpom, our % of pts coming from 3s (26.2%) is 275th in the country, so that's probably what he was talking about.

and yeah, forcing your opponents into doing something that they do well (even if they don't generally rely on it) may not be a winning strategy. it's hard though, because there isn't much we don't do fairly well.