PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga, Oregon, South Carolina and...?

seacatfan
03-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Let's be honest, I bet absolutely nobody correctly guessed all 3 of those being in the Final 4. Two first timers and one that hasn't been there since the 40's or 50's. The Tourney as always is crazy and you never know what's going to happen.

seacatfan
03-26-2017, 12:44 PM
All 3 coaches first timers. Has that ever happened before?

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Think about this for a sec; either Gonzaga or South Carolina will be playing for the national championship one week from tomorrow. How crazy is that?

U Zig, I Zag
03-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Think about this for a sec; either Gonzaga or South Carolina will be playing for the national championship one week from tomorrow. How crazy is that?

Good point.

Hoopaholic
03-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Let's be honest, I bet absolutely nobody correctly guessed all 3 of those being in the Final 4. Two first timers and one that hasn't been there since the 40's or 50's. The Tourney as always is crazy and you never know what's going to happen.

I have 2 of three holding out for NC to make it three of four

TexasZagFan
03-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Big D has the Zags and Oregon in his bracket...not bad for a 6 YO. :lmao:

TexasZagFan
03-26-2017, 12:48 PM

First Final Four? lol

jazzdelmar
03-26-2017, 12:49 PM
...........and one bluest of the blue bloods......

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 12:50 PM
...........and one bluest of the blue bloods......

Upstarts vs Blue Bloods

kitzbuel
03-26-2017, 12:52 PM

The fourth coach will not be.

RenoZag
03-26-2017, 12:53 PM
The "newcomers vs. the veteran" meme will be worked to death next week in the sporting press, and all will give the edge to Calipari/Williams. . .

Frank Martin is a great story in his own right. Maybe he won't handle the distractions as well as Coach Few. . .

MontanaCoyote
03-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Big D has the Zags and Oregon in his bracket...not bad for a 6 YO. :lmao:

Not Bad? Give the kid a break! I say excellent! You tell him!

ConnZag3
03-26-2017, 01:00 PM
There's only been 2 coaches in the last 2 decades who have won the title in their first Final Four appearance so there's a definite advantage for Calipari or Roy having been there multiple times before. However, when you have 3 first timers it might not be so big a disadvantage as it typically is. Just gotta keep the team focused with all the media attention and demands during the week.

And getting used to shooting in a cavernous dome...

75Zag
03-26-2017, 01:04 PM
I know UNC has beaten GU at least once in the NCAAs. Was it more than once? It would be ok with me if UNC beats KY and then GU beats South Carolina and then GU beats UNC. Cleaning up an old grudge.

Working today at my office to make up for lost time traveling for NCAAs. Best part of today so far was having two of my partners - one Wisconsin alum and one Kansas alum - stop by to congratulate GU. In prior years they also stopped by, but usually to offer me sympathy. I enjoy congratulations to GU better more than I enjoy sympathy!

But then there was my partner who is an Oregon alum who just stopped by my office ..........

Go Bulldogs and Go whoever is playing Oregon!

ZagsObserver
03-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Before y'all start looking too far ahead, please note that S. Carolina defeated both Marquette and Baylor by 20 and Duke and a Florida by 7 so far in the tournament. They are playing great right now and will be a tough out.

Hoopaholic
03-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Before y'all start looking too far ahead, please note that S. Carolina defeated both Marquette and Baylor by 20 and Duke and a Florida by 7 so far in the tournament. They are playing great right now and will be a tough out.

Same for Xavier

ZagMan in Philly
03-26-2017, 01:17 PM
I want to see MJ cry again...

RenoZag
03-26-2017, 01:20 PM
I know UNC has beaten GU at least once in the NCAAs. Was it more than once? It would be ok with me if UNC beats KY and then GU beats South Carolina and then GU beats UNC. Cleaning up an old grudge.

Working today at my office to make up for lost time traveling for NCAAs. Best part of today so far was having two of my partners - one Wisconsin alum and one Kansas alum - stop by to congratulate GU. In prior years they also stopped by, but usually to offer me sympathy. I enjoy congratulations to GU better more than I enjoy sympathy!

But then there was my partner who is an Oregon alum who just stopped by my office ..........

Go Bulldogs and Go whoever is playing Oregon!

Ducks are like that

MJ777
03-26-2017, 04:31 PM
NorthCarolina it is.

Interesting, the combined records of the teams the Zags beat in the tourney is 94 and 42 (76 and 25 if you don't count SDSU). Only WVU has fewer than 10 losses (9). USC is 26-10, but they are a very dangerous hot team. The Zags will need to bring their A game to advance to play either Oregon or UNC.