PDA

View Full Version : "playing old" is one of the keys to success in NCAA tourney

MileHigh
03-26-2017, 09:36 AM
I keep hearing the talking heads talking about "staying old" and "playing old" referring to teams that have a large number of upperclassmen in their main rotation and how that is an advantage, and when you look at the Zags they are a perfect example.
I doubt there is a starting 5 anywhere in the country (outside of Provo) as "old" as the Zags. Shem is 24, NGW and JM are both 22, Josh and JWIII are both 21. All of them, except JP, have at least 4 years of college under their belt, and JP has 3 years. Granted, there are some youngsters coming off the bench, but the nucleus of the team is about as old as you can get and still be in college.

Unless you are a Kentucky, Duke, or KU with 2 or 3 burger game kids coming in every year. "Playing old" is what coaches should strive for.

mgadfly
03-26-2017, 09:55 AM
I'll bet North Carolina Central's guys are older. 8 man rotation with 7 seniors and 1 junior (6th man).

Ekrub
03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
The suns started a lineup the other day that was younger than every remaining team (S16 minus a few) except for one (don't remember who) . Average age was 21 years and some months.

DixieZag
03-26-2017, 10:15 AM
The suns started a lineup the other day that was younger than every remaining team (S16 minus a few) except for one (don't remember who) . Average age was 21 years and some months.

I wonder how many of them would trade that first year salary to be a part of the ride the Zags are on?

I understand, though. Many come from poor families and turning the money down could be considered irresponsible. But, if one was from a family that was at least "secure" ....there are some things money can't buy. Pretty sure our guys see this as priceless.