PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 100 guard Daejon Davis backs off from Washington for 2nd time

Murphy outgo lifer
03-26-2017, 12:57 AM
Due to the Lorenzo Romar firing Daejon Davis ESPN's #44 recruit has opted to re-open his recruitment. We were in his top 4 prior to choosing UW again. I am interested to see if anyone has any familiarity with a senior recruit becoming available this late in the season. Will he wait to see who declares for the draft or will he sign right away with someone because it is so late? I had a feeling that his first choice, back in November, was Oregon but Troy Brown Jr a 5 star recruit signed before him and so he recommitted to Washington. He was also considering Stanford. I felt like we were a distant 3rd, however, with things opening up again I feel like he is not going to add new schools to his top 4 since he already did that. Maybe he will wait to see who declares for Oregon. Thoughts???

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19003699/espn-100-guard-daejon-davis-asks-letter-intent-release-washington-huskies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fws4l6rgi6c

jazzdelmar
03-26-2017, 04:04 AM
Zags first Final Four "baby."

Murphy outgo lifer
03-26-2017, 04:22 AM
Zags first Final Four "baby."

I will be sure to inform Daejon that in the future he should not make these decisions while Gonzaga is still playing in the tournament.

Goshzagit
03-26-2017, 04:45 AM
Speaking of, are we happy Oregon made it for West Coast bball in general, or unfortunate as we kinda recruit the same areas?

Mixed feelings about it.

Hell, I'm just happy we made it!

Murphy outgo lifer
03-26-2017, 04:48 AM
Speaking of, are we happy Oregon made it for West Coast bball in general, or unfortunate as we kinda recruit the same areas?

Mixed feelings about it.

Hell, I'm just happy we made it!

I am wondering how I feel about it myself. I feel like we are going to have some good recruiting battles going forward with Oregon. I feel like we have lost a lot of potential transfers in the past to them. I am with you though, happy we made it ourselves...

maynard g krebs
03-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Oregon is full for now, though it's possible they have up to 3 guys going pro. My guess is Davis waits to see who leaves at all his candidates. Spring signing day is in 2-3 weeks.

demian
03-26-2017, 10:33 AM
i cant stand the Oregon Ducks in football and basketball. I DO NOT like them making the Final Four any season.

MDABE80
03-26-2017, 10:39 AM
We can stick with the FF talk all week. BUT when it comes to Davis and his running mate at Garfield, both a really amazing players. I'm just not sure Davis is interested. He came in late fall ad looked like he wasted his and our time. Arizona or Oregon type id. Not that it matters, but he is a good one. Academically sound as well.
As to the FF.........let's go win this thing. We have so much coming back.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 11:22 AM
He's an SG, correct? With Silas, Norvell and Corey, there's not much immediate playing time for him, although CK may wind up being an sf. PF seems to be a more pressing "need".

MDABE80
03-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Corey on the wing with Norvell. Josh, Silas, Nigel (for a year to tutor ...if he stays), Wade and Davis. Tremendous talent. We'll sure miss Jordan Mathews. Bigs =J3, Collins (with luck), Tillie, Not sure who'll be in Karno's shoes. Strong strong team. Top 5 easily and likely a FF team.
As much as Karno has his days with uneven performance, he'll be hard to replace. A huge hole without him.

Hoopaholic
03-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Corey on the wing with Norvell. Josh, Silas, Nigel (for a year to tutor ...if he stays), Wade and Davis. Tremendous talent. We'll sure miss Jordan Mathews. Bigs =J3, Collins (with luck), Tillie, Not sure who'll be in Karno's shoes. Strong strong team. Top 5 easily and likely a FF team.
As much as Karno has his days with uneven performance, he'll be hard to replace. A huge hole without him.

Wouldn't Davis need sit out year?

northsidezagfan
03-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Wouldn't Davis need sit out year?

He's still in high school

Hoopaholic
03-26-2017, 12:00 PM
He's still in high school

Silly me

jazzdelmar
03-26-2017, 12:02 PM

Doc, I sent u a note on this but u were full up. J

DixieZag
03-26-2017, 12:03 PM
IIRC he also had Stanford in his last 4 - obviously an academic star, too. Abe, I respect that you were there and I wasn't, and your impression might be right on. OTOH - perhaps he'd already made up his mind re; playing in his hometown and thus really wasn't into discovering what might be.

We can handle a little talk about the future alongside the FF (imo). And we're definitely full - though ESPN #44s are the type that one generally "makes room for" - we'll see if he wants it and fits in the Zag culture.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 12:52 PM

Norvell is an sg. Corey and Rui at the sf.

Murphy outgo lifer
03-26-2017, 01:34 PM
He's an SG, correct? With Silas, Norvell and Corey, there's not much immediate playing time for him, although CK may wind up being an sf. PF seems to be a more pressing "need".

I believe the staff wants him as a 1/combo guard in a 2 guard set like we are running now. I remember that he stated Oregon and UW wanted him that role as well and that is what he wants.

MDABE80
03-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Norvell is an sg. Corey and Rui at the sf...... maybe. With his scoring I'm not sure Corey wouldn't make a superior 3 with Norvell.

Either way, Davis we shall have... as it turns out (my opinion it's 80%). We'll find a spot.
Meanwhile since when does a position number mean much in this system? It'll be a huge season next year. Book it. As for Rui. he'll wander between 3 and 4 would be my guess.

We'll have to wait and see. FF will change a lot in terms of recruits wanting to be with the Zags..

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 02:10 PM
I believe the staff wants him as a 1/combo guard in a 2 guard set like we are running now. I remember that he stated Oregon and UW wanted him that role as well and that is what he wants.

Oh, OK I kind of makes sense if it's true that Nigel will be leaving. That would allow Jessie a redshirt year to get reacclimated to basketball.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 02:11 PM
..... maybe. With his scoring I'm not sure Corey wouldn't make a superior 3 with Norvell.

Either way, Davis we shall have... as it turns out (my opinion it's 80%). We'll find a spot.
Meanwhile since when does a position number mean much in this system? It'll be a huge season next year. Book it. As for Rui. he'll wander between 3 and 4 would be my guess.

We'll have to wait and see. FF will change a lot in terms of recruits wanting to be with the Zags..

80% that we're getting Davis? Do you have an inside scoop?

MDABE80
03-26-2017, 02:12 PM
:) I'm hoping Nigel will stay.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 02:12 PM
If we do land him we will have to embarrassment of riches for the next several years at the guards and small forward position. Power forward and center might get a little thin.

seacatfan
03-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Oh, OK I kind of makes sense if it's true that Nigel will be leaving. That would allow Jessie a redshirt year to get reacclimated to basketball.

I think this has come up before, but a RS for Wade? That would make him close to 25 by his Sr. year if he does that wouldn't it? I don't like it when BYU has mid 20's adults playing against 18-20 year old kids, don't want to see GU go down that road.

maynard g krebs
03-26-2017, 02:24 PM
I've seen Davis a few times; combo is correct imo. Personally I've liked Nowell's game better of the 2; scores at the rim, intense, disruptive defender. But Nowell's a pure wing; different players.

Both are terrific athletes; if Abe's correct and Davis comes it means he's patient and willing to wait his turn. Tons of talent/depth in the backcourt.

maynard g krebs
03-26-2017, 02:27 PM
i cant stand the Oregon Ducks in football and basketball. I DO NOT like them making the Final Four any season.

I get it. I feel the same about the evil empire on the western shore of Lake Washington. As a longtime resident of Eugene, I've witnessed the arrogance of Huskies over the years. So I love it when a perennial little guy like the Ducks or Zags one-ups them.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 02:30 PM
I think this has come up before, but a RS for Wade? That would make him close to 25 by his Sr. year if he does that wouldn't it? I don't like it when BYU has mid 20's adults playing against 18-20 year old kids, don't want to see GU go down that road.

What do you mean by "that road"? They are Mormon missionaries, he's most likely not going to the NBA so who cares how old he is? South Carolina had a 42-year-old wide receiver a few years ago that was an Iraq war veteran. If they're eligible to play college athletics, why shouldn't they?

seacatfan
03-26-2017, 02:32 PM
perennial little guy like the Ducks or Zags

UO may not have a lot of hoops tradition, but you cannot call them a "little guy" because their Athletic Department is a juggernaut with all the Nike money Uncle Phil pumps into it.

seacatfan
03-26-2017, 02:34 PM
What do you mean by "that road"? They are Mormon missionaries, he's most likely not going to the NBA so who cares how old he is? South Carolina had a 42-year-old wide receiver a few years ago that was an Iraq war veteran. If they're eligible to play college athletics, why shouldn't they?

I can understand the Mormon mission, but not yet another year off from basketball as a RS. 3 years removed from graduating HS. There's a significant difference physically (and probably mentally/emotionally as well) between late teens/early 20's and mid 20's.

maynard g krebs
03-26-2017, 02:39 PM
UO may not have a lot of hoops tradition, but you cannot call them a "little guy" because their Athletic Department is a juggernaut with all the Nike money Uncle Phil pumps into it.

Yes and no. Knight's money has made a big difference, but still in a small market with little recruiting base. The argument could be made that it's about the 8th best job in the league behind all the teams in major cities. Think about where they were before Altman. (Same's true of Az, of course, before Lute. ) They don't have so much as a 5 star recruit on their basketball team; GU has 2 and Zona what, 5 or 6? Their football run and this basketball run were done almost exclusively with 3 and 4 star guys who fit a system. Sound familiar? Now that they're on the verge of getting some Az/UCLA level talent it's going to be interesting.

Point was mostly re: Huskies, though, who have for many decades considered themselves big brother and would come down in droves to fill Autzen and act all snooty and superior, earning well the hate of Oregonians. Going back to around 1960 when they lobbied to take a rose bowl away from the Ducks back when it was voted on.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 02:42 PM
I can understand the Mormon mission, but not yet another year off from basketball as a RS. 3 years removed from graduating HS. There's a significant difference physically (and probably mentally/emotionally as well) between late teens/early 20's and mid 20's.

He's not a future NBA genetic freak. I think of him as another Dickau. Besides if we do get Davis, and they want him as a combo guard we will still have Josh and Silas playing so will there really many minutes for Jesse? I think a red shirt year helps him get reacclimated to major college basketball as well as spread out the years between the players.

seacatfan
03-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Yes and no. Knight's money has made a big difference, but still in a small market with little recruiting base. The argument could be made that it's about the 8th best job in the league behind all the teams in major cities. Think about where they were before Altman. (Same's true of Az, of course, before Lute. ) They don't have so much as a 5 star recruit on their basketball team; GU has 2 and Zona what, 5 or 6? Their football run and this basketball run were done almost exclusively with 3 and 4 star guys who fit a system. Sound familiar? Now that they're on the verge of getting some Az/UCLA level talent it's going to be interesting.

Point was mostly re: Huskies, though, who have for many decades considered themselves big brother and would come down in droves to fill Autzen and act all snooty and superior, earning well the hate of Oregonians. Going back to around 1960 when they lobbied to take a rose bowl away from the Ducks back when it was voted on.

Plenty of hate both ways between UO and UW. I come from a family of OSU grads so I can't work up any sympathy for the Ducks. Definitely plenty of arrogance when UO folks look down their noses at the Beavers. All relative I guess.

Dorsey wasn't a 5 star? If he wasn't, must've barely missed the cut off. I don't care what Brooks was rated, he's been a stud for 3 years. Proves that recruiting rankings don't mean squat. Bell has improved dramatically this year and he's quite a baller. Altman is a really good coach and develops his players, don't get me wrong. But Oregon has plenty of size, athleticism and skill, they aren't some cute and cuddly little Cinderella story.

I'm not sure how much being in a major market is a factor for college sports. In fact I think you might be better off not being in a huge city w/ multiple pro franchises. Chapel Hill & Durham; NC, Lawrence, KS; Lexington & Louisville, KY; Storrs, CT; Bloomington, IN--how big of markets are those cities? Not that big I think. Those are some of the biggest plum jobs in the country. In fact how many top programs are there in really big cities? UCLA....can't really think of other obvious ones.

seacatfan
03-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Also before Altman, Ernie had some really good teams and drew some talented players. Made two Elite 8 runs.

willandi
03-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Larsen. He looks like a stud!

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 04:06 PM
It's an embarrassment of riches these days for us. It's good to be a Gonzaga fan.

CDC84
03-26-2017, 06:43 PM
:) I'm hoping Nigel will stay.

At this point he is a mid-2nd rounder in 2018 at draftexpress.com. I would be very surprised if he's not back to complete his masters. Unless he totally blows up at the combine, which I am sure he will be invited to.

I have to believe that his stock is starting to rise. He is starting to show that despite not possessing amazing athleticism, the kid can really defend. And he has nice size for a NBA PG. With another year to improve his jumper and few other things, I think he might be able to build himself into at least a regular backup NBA PG.

DixieZag
03-26-2017, 07:25 PM
I'd never pretend to know much about projecting NBA potential, but it sure seems like Nigel has every skill set that Dellavadova had/has. Delly might have been a better pure shooter, though Nigel's making strides in that area, too.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Pretty thorough write up on Davis from DraftExpress about a year and a hald ago:

Daejon Davis, 6'3, PG/SG, Washington, Class of 2017

Strengths -Good size for a point guard, measured 6-3 in shoes. Wingspan between 6-5 and 6-6. Strong frame. 175 pounds right now, but should get significantly stronger as his body fills out -Excellent athlete. Can play above the rim with ease. Has some real burst in a straight-line -Extremely competitive player. Played outstanding defense on the older players at this camp. Rebounds. Gets in passing lanes. Fights over screens. Has excellent lateral quickness -Not a total non-shooter. Will throw the ball in the basket at times -Will make the extra pass unselfishly

Weaknesses -Understanding of how to run a team is still a work in progress. -Ball-handling ability in half-court is not very polished. Struggles to change speeds or directions -Very streaky outside shooter. Will have to improve his shooting mechanics as he tends to fling the ball at the basket from his fingertips with a low (and slow) release point.

Outlook Strong, explosive, physical and aggressive combo guard. Still figuring out how to maximize his tools offensively. Will he grow into the shooting guard position or improve his half-court polish and emerge as a full-time point guard? Strong intangibles, competitiveness leave a lot of room for optimism regarding his future development. Committed to Washington. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Daejon-Davis-90080/ ©DraftExpress

MDABE80
03-26-2017, 09:12 PM
I think he's 6 4 now. Very skillful. GZ/Jazz know the story. He and other high enders will be joining the Zags ( or petitioning to do so).
FF is the biggest of deals. I suspect other players will be asking. Success breeds success. All eyes on Phoenix. Superior if we brought home the "gold". It could happen. Look for the spoiled sports of the world to proclaim this FF as the weakest in years. Translation: Only one blue blood is in it and it ain't "us" ( whoever "us" is).

thebigsmoove
03-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Look for the spoiled sports of the world to proclaim this FF as the weakest in years. Translation: Only one blue blood is in it and it ain't "us" ( whoever "us" is).

The "us" you are referring to is Kentucky fans...they are already all over my facebook feed talking about how bad this final four is. Horrible fanbase.

North Idaho Zag
03-27-2017, 01:19 PM
The "us" you are referring to is Kentucky fans...they are already all over my facebook feed talking about how bad this final four is. Horrible fanbase.

Yeah, really love this. It's as good as the "Over-Rated" chant. Like saying "You suck but we aren't good enough to be there instead and saying this makes me feel better...." Whatever.

jazzdelmar
03-27-2017, 01:39 PM
deleted....

kdaleb
03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
I get it. I feel the same about the evil empire on the western shore of Lake Washington. As a longtime resident of Eugene, I've witnessed the arrogance of Huskies over the years. So I love it when a perennial little guy like the Ducks or Zags one-ups them.

I'm a Duck guy too... My worst personal fan experiences - as a Zag fan and a Duck fan - have come at the hands of nasty Husky fans. But nothing bums me out more than the ugliness of a-hole Duck fans. One of the things that makes me so proud to rep the Zags is that I've seen and/or heard of much less of that ugliness from Zags.

Bogozags
03-27-2017, 02:14 PM
There are PRESENTLY no scholarships available for any other incoming players...

I do not want to push anyone out...if NWG and Collins stay, then we have no room...

I don't see where Davis would have any playing time and Wade will not be a RS candidate...he didn't wait two years to get here and then wait another to play - that is just ludicrous!

We could well have THREE PG's next year (w/NWG) and I see our bench going a possible 11 deep...maybe we will become "Press GU!"

I will bet all my money (not my wife's so it isn't much) that Davis doesn't come to GU...he will either go to OU, S or AZ...take that to the bank...:D

MDABE80
03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Geeeeeeez Bogo. I bet $100 he comes to GU. I already know I'd win.:)

Bogozags
03-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Geeeeeeez Bogo. I bet $100 he comes to GU. I already know I'd win.:)

I'll take that bet but will have to borrow $27 from the wife! :D

CDC84
03-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Just because Gonzaga has hit its scholarship limit doesn't mean that more scholarships cannot be created through guys transferring from Gonzaga. It's happened many times before. This is big boys basketball.

Not a view on whether Davis will transfer to GU or not.

229SintoZag
03-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Just because Gonzaga has hit its scholarship limit doesn't mean that more scholarships cannot be created through guys transferring from Gonzaga. It's happened many times before. This is big boys basketball.

Transfer? Isn't he still in high school?
I noticed that UW is releasing players who committed to Romar.
Wouldn't he be eligible immediately if he were likewise released from any NLI and able to simply enroll on scholarship and play immediately?

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Transfer? Isn't he still in high school?
I noticed that UW is releasing players who committed to Romar.
Wouldn't he be eligible immediately if he were likewise released from any NLI and able to simply enroll on scholarship and play immediately?

Yes, immediately

basketballzag
03-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Yes, immediately

UW has officially lost their entire recruiting class as Jaylen Nowell, Daejon Davis, and Mamoudou Diarra have all asked for their releases. Nowell and Davis have both removed their UW information from their twitter profiles as well thus confirming their lack of a commitment to the UW program. Both of them could end up at Gonzaga.

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2017, 05:21 PM
UW has officially lost their entire recruiting class as Jaylen Nowell, Daejon Davis, and Mamoudou Diarra have all asked for their releases. Nowell and Davis have both removed their UW information from their twitter profiles as well thus confirming their lack of a commitment to the UW program. Both of them could end up at Gonzaga.
Husky boards are saying Nowell to Oregon and Davis to us

DixieZag
03-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Husky boards are saying Nowell to Oregon and Davis to us

I wonder which school taking their recruits hurts more? Losing one to Oregon or losing one to Gonzaga?

I know the answer if the student was a 5-star, 6'5 Quarterback, but this question is more subtle.

kitzbuel
03-27-2017, 05:27 PM

This fits with my understanding.

ZagMan in Philly
03-27-2017, 05:32 PM
I can see coaches calling potential recruits from the Final 4 arena, and let them know it could be them playing for the Zags.

jazzdelmar
03-27-2017, 05:32 PM
I can see coaches calling potential recruits from the Final 4 arena, and let them know it could be them playing for the Zags.

They all do that, Phil.

gonstu
03-27-2017, 05:37 PM
They all do that, Phil.

Few could never do that before this year, and only four can do it this year!

seacatfan
03-27-2017, 05:38 PM
I wonder which school taking their recruits hurts more? Losing one to Oregon or losing one to Gonzaga?

I know the answer if the student was a 5-star, 6'5 Quarterback, but this question is more subtle.

I think since Oregon is a conference foe that they could face 2 or even 3 times in a season, losing one to the Ducks hurts more. I know they don't like GU so that would stick in their craw as well, but not really as big of an impact in a true sense.

Zagceo
03-27-2017, 05:56 PM
They all do that, Phil.

i remember Urban Meyer telling national audience after winning NC he was gonna go call recruits in the lockeroom after finishing his interviews.

jazzdelmar
03-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Few could never do that before this year, and only four can do it this year!

What I meant was coaches call recruits from just about anywhere that would burnish their recruiting pitch, from a Final 4 to a conference final, from a Hawaii tourney game to a battle with a top rival.

zagsfanforlife
03-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Has anyone seen Jesse and Daejon play? Who would look to get more time? How do they compare? i know totally different players--- just talking talent level.

Someone must be leaving.. I hope its not Alberts... while he may be an odd man out, the kid can play. He will transfer somewhere and excel if he didnt get the chance here.

Or maybe no one transfers... are we fairly certain at this poiint, NWG going pro is a formality?

Zagdawg
03-27-2017, 06:33 PM
I like how he can attack the basket and likes to get his teammates involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fws4l6rgi6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLSgIZUL3yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlvQKpnxA1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgXn1HyHyY

Looking at stats for his first 5 games of this year -- was averaging 16 pts and 8 assists

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2017, 06:06 AM
Has anyone seen Jesse and Daejon play? Who would look to get more time? How do they compare? i know totally different players--- just talking talent level.

Someone must be leaving.. I hope its not Alberts... while he may be an odd man out, the kid can play. He will transfer somewhere and excel if he didnt get the chance here.

Or maybe no one transfers... are we fairly certain at this poiint, NWG going pro is a formality?

I actually think their skill sets compliment one another quite well. One is a slasher, the other a dead eye shooter.

Zagdawg
03-28-2017, 06:34 AM
Agree Spy.

zagsfanforlife
03-28-2017, 06:44 AM
I actually think their skill sets compliment one another quite well. One is a slasher, the other a dead eye shooter.

In that case, what would it mean for kispert or norvell if Davis came aboard?

basketballzag
03-28-2017, 06:51 AM

The same as it meant for Tillie/Collins: The ability to play without wearing your body down through the course of a season and build up your skill set to prepare them for the next level.

Zagsker
03-28-2017, 06:54 AM
.... There's a significant difference physically (and probably mentally/emotionally as well) between late teens/early 20's and mid 20's.

Sure and imo it's all positives..."old man" strength and knowledge

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2017, 06:55 AM

CK is a sf, Norvell will most likely back up Silas at the two. But these guys give Few so much flexibility to mix-and-match. Again it's an embarrassment of riches.

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2017, 06:56 AM
The same as it meant for Tillie/Collins: The ability to play without wearing your body down through the course of a season and build up your skill set to prepare them for the next level.

Yes sir. Whoever thought that Gonzaga would be known for defense and depth? LOL

DixieZag
03-28-2017, 07:07 AM
Embarrassment of riches is wonderful with one slight danger, it can lead to frustration regarding PT that shows up in the locker room and toward the coaches.

Fortunately, if there's ever been a program that prides itself on its chemistry, this one has for over 20 years, so it must start at the top, not with any one group of kids. Good sign.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2017, 07:14 AM

Certainly not my Dukie coworker. First word he's said to me this week was "good luck against the #2 defense in the country." I said, "same goes for SC, going against the #1 defense in the country, that limited Xavier to 6 points in the last ten minutes of Saturday's game."

cggonzaga
03-28-2017, 07:22 AM

I believe Kispert and Norvell are 3s. The rotation imo would be Goss/Perkins/Wade/Davis at the 1 and 2. Melson/Norvell/Kispert at the 3. Unless of course somebody redshirted.

Zagdawg
03-28-2017, 07:31 AM
Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello 4m4 minutes ago
More
ESPN 100 guard Daejon Davis tells ESPN he received his release from Washington this morning. No. 44 in 2017.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2017, 07:41 AM
Boy, it's really going to be a long couple of years for Husky hoops!

Ezag
03-28-2017, 07:42 AM
Looks like it is down to Gonzaga and Oregon for Davis

Zag_Dad
03-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Looks like it is down to Gonzaga and Oregon for Davis

Based on????

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2017, 08:03 AM
I believe Kispert and Norvell are 3s. The rotation imo would be Goss/Perkins/Wade/Davis at the 1 and 2. Melson/Norvell/Kispert at the 3. Unless of course somebody redshirted.

I see it a little differently. I see PG: Perk, Wade,Davis, SG: Melson, Norvell, Davis, SF: Kispert, Rui, PF: JWIII, Tillie, C: Collins (hopefully), Larsen

Zaga
03-28-2017, 08:31 AM

An Elite defense at that! Go Zag's

#runthetable

ZagsObserver
03-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Wade or Davis would need to redshirt. Also, a lot depends on the kind of role Rui is projected to have.

If NWG returns, we may need two redshirt candidates between the 1-3 spots.

Mr Vulture
03-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Unless NWG leaves I can't see how this would benefit Davis to come here. I also don't see a Wade RS under any circumstance other than injury. With that said, I don't think finding a scholarship will be that hard to do even if neither of NWG and Collins go pro. My feeling is that Collins is as good as gone if he is a lottery projected player. Hard to say what NWG will do but it shouldn't be based on draft status as he is a 2nd round pick at best this year.

MDABE80
03-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Nothing. Corey is the one high end recruit we NEED. Zack is as good or better than the new kid.

kitzbuel
03-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Unless NWG leaves I can't see how this would benefit Davis to come here. I also don't see a Wade RS under any circumstance other than injury. With that said, I don't think finding a scholarship will be that hard to do even if neither of NWG and Collins go pro. My feeling is that Collins is as good as gone if he is a lottery projected player. Hard to say what NWG will do but it shouldn't be based on draft status as he is a 2nd round pick at best this year.

You mean outside of post-season play and deep NCAA runs?

mgadfly
03-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Edited as I check the articles I was looking at.

Zagdawg
03-28-2017, 10:36 AM
And amazing exposure--being able to play in the greatest preseason tournament PK80, gets to go to play in MSG and in Maui -- some of the perks to being a Zag.

Mr Vulture
03-28-2017, 11:15 AM
You mean outside of post-season play and deep NCAA runs?

What I meant is that he wants to play immediately and the playing time isn't going to be as easily obtainable for him on day one. I don't view him as a player who's goals are to go the NCAA tournament as much as how he can get to the NBA the fastest. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see him being okay coming in and playing 15 minutes a game if NWG were to stay.

cggonzaga
03-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Where's Goss? Agree Melson is more a 2 in normal circumstances. Norvell is a legit 6'5" and if Goss leaves I'm pretty confident Perkins starts at the 1, Melson the 2 and Norvell the 3. Unless Few has changed his mind, he felt Rui was a 4.

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2017, 12:27 PM
What I meant is that he wants to play immediately and the playing time isn't going to be as easily obtainable for him on day one. I don't view him as a player who's goals are to go the NCAA tournament as much as how he can get to the NBA the fastest. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see him being okay coming in and playing 15 minutes a game if NWG were to stay.

didn't stop ZC. There's a slow paradigm shift where players just want to win and they know that with winning comes exposure.

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Where's Goss? Agree Melson is more a 2 in normal circumstances. Norvell is a legit 6'5" and if Goss leaves I'm pretty confident Perkins starts at the 1, Melson the 2 and Norvell the 3. Unless Few has changed his mind, he felt Rui was a 4.

There's multiple posts where the staff sees Rui as a sf. I'll try to dig one up.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Why not leave Silas as the 6th man next year? He's getting 25+ minutes a game, and he's creating a niche for himself beyond GU. For the foreseeable future, we'll be going 8-10 deep in the rotation with the talent we have. I think our guys haven't displayed the usual signs of fatigue from excessive minutes at this time of year.

ETA: when you work as hard on defense as our guys have, you need to have a deep rotation.

maynard g krebs
03-28-2017, 01:55 PM

I don't see Davis as a quick to the NBA guy. Good player but 6'3 athletic combo guards who can slash but are so-so shooters are a dime a dozen by NBA standards. Likely a 3-4 yr player imo.

Mr Vulture
03-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I'll stand by my thoughts about Davis. I do agree that he's not a quick to the NBA player but that doesn't mean he doesn't think he is. It's not like I'm going to be upset if he comes to GU by any means, I just don't see him as the type of player that will be happy sitting if NWG returns. By the way, Zach Collins didn't expect to be sitting behind Karnowski when he signed his letter of intent Spy....it was the injury and return that caused that scenario. I'm not saying that Zach wouldn't have come anyway, just saying that wasn't the plan when he signed.

maynard g krebs
03-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I'll stand by my thoughts about Davis. I do agree that he's not a quick to the NBA player but that doesn't mean he doesn't think he is. It's not like I'm going to be upset if he comes to GU by any means, I just don't see him as the type of player that will be happy sitting if NWG returns. By the way, Zach Collins didn't expect to be sitting behind Karnowski when he signed his letter of intent Spy....it was the injury and return that caused that to happen.

I was just talking about him re: ability, not whether or not he's willing to wait his turn. Don't think he's near a 1 or 2 year guy, that's all. Not as good as, say, Oregon's Dorsey who is barely on the NBA's radar as a soph and tearing it up in the tourney.

seacatfan
03-28-2017, 02:19 PM
I was just talking about him re: ability, not whether or not he's willing to wait his turn. Don't think he's near a 1 or 2 year guy, that's all. Not as good as, say, Oregon's Dorsey who is barely on the NBA's radar as a soph and tearing it up in the tourney.

I must confess, I really don't understand the NBA scouts most of the time. What about Brooks? 2 time conference POY, is he likely to jump or come back for his Sr. year?

All I know is Arizona's guys almost always leave sooner rather than later. I'd be shocked if Trier comes back for another year and I'd have a hard time saying he's better than Brooks and Dorsey. Markannen is most likely gone. I'm even slightly nervous about guys like Alkins and Simmons, even though they were pretty inconsistent.

As far as guys looking to go NBA as soon as possible, NWG almost did it after his Fr. year. Here he is 3 years later still playing college ball.

Bogozags
03-28-2017, 03:17 PM
I must confess, I really don't understand the NBA scouts most of the time. What about Brooks? 2 time conference POY, is he likely to jump or come back for his Sr. year?

All I know is Arizona's guys almost always leave sooner rather than later. I'd be shocked if Trier comes back for another year and I'd have a hard time saying he's better than Brooks and Dorsey. Markannen is most likely gone. I'm even slightly nervous about guys like Alkins and Simmons, even though they were pretty inconsistent.

As far as guys looking to go NBA as soon as possible, NWG almost did it after his Fr. year. Here he is 3 years later still playing college ball.

I think AZ loses both big guys...not sure Trier leaves this year...think he needs another season to work on his outside shot, which he will most definitely need as a "2" in the NBA.

IF NWG plays at GU next year, I just don't see him coming to GU just because of PT...he would be the fifth or sixth back court person along with Wade...and IF NWG stays, we don't have any scholarships...I know DOC seems to "know" that Davis is coming but it sure looks foggy here on the East Coast...maybe it's the Rockies blocking my vision...lol

DixieZag
03-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Wasn't it only a month ago many of the people here who know what they're talking about gave assurances that NWG was gone after the season? That he'd gotten his degree, was 23 years old, wouldn't progress up any NBA draft board and would take his shot at the NBA or go make very comfortable money in Europe?

Yet now it seems like there's a significant chance he's coming back?

seacatfan
03-28-2017, 03:42 PM
You always have to be careful w/ people who "know" what they're talking about. Sabonis is supposed to still be in Spokane, but he ain't.

I certainly "speculated" that NWG might go due to his age, but I don't "know" anything about who is going and who is staying. Some are guaranteeing Collins is gone and some are guaranteeing he's returning. We'll all find out more once the Tourney is done and the NBA combine looms.

Mantua
03-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Wasn't it only a month ago many of the people here who know what they're talking about gave assurances that NWG was gone after the season? That he'd gotten his degree, was 23 years old, wouldn't progress up any NBA draft board and would take his shot at the NBA or go make very comfortable money in Europe?

Yet now it seems like there's a significant chance he's coming back?

Yeah, I feel too much in the dark to begin to guess about what NWG is going to do. I bet he hasn't made a decision. His decision will probably depend on the pre-draft activity and the next one or two games.

We need a wing or another mountain in the lane?

I will say that recruit shopping has been getting to be a lot of fun.

MontanaCoyote
03-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Would how the Zag's finish up at The Dance have any bearing on decisions by NWG and Zach?

HenneZag
03-28-2017, 06:37 PM
I personally don't think ZC goes to the NBA this year. Don't get me wrong I think he is a helluva player but he needs to get much stronger. He has the ability next year to really elevate his draft stock IMO.

Mantua
03-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Would how the Zag's finish up at The Dance have any bearing on decisions by NWG and Zach?

Their draft potential stock will rise.

I think there's a psychological component having to do with feeling that college basketball may not hold much more. It depends on how individual players see their careers.

DixieZag
03-28-2017, 07:08 PM
It seems logical to me that if we were somehow fortunate enough to win a NC, that would make it more likely that a player like NWG might say "I've done all I can at this level, thank you all" and move on. But, if somehow they cough up a hairball against SC and lose in a "bad" way, it just seems logical that there'd be more of a tug at NWG, he might look around and say "We're going to be even better next year, and I want that NC"

I know nothing, I'm just speculating on what would likely have to go through anyone's mind as at least a factor.

MDABE80
03-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Kids who are 17-18 and have seen nothing in life sometimes get funny ideas from a variety of sources. Dreams instilled in their heads of NBA play leading to untold riches. Hardly ever pans out. People close to them convince them how great they are.
Rarely pans out.
When we finish this season there will be some changes. I still believe 3 things. 1. Nigel will stick around ( not a good draft for him this year)..2. Zach will stay for the same reasons but he needs to get better and stronger and......3. By mid April, we will have a kid named Davis signed and ber eady to get to work for the next 3 or so years.

I'm really excited to gt Jesse Wade on campus. This kid looks like an incredible addition. Ball Handler, Shooter......and a very good understanding of the game and how a PG should function. Amazing opportunity to have him.

FF makes a difference but in our case, we'll have the players to do it all over again. I always thought next year would be "the" year. We'll have 2 appearance back to back and possibly a title or 2. 7 points from perfect. Still bugs me.

zagdontzig
03-28-2017, 11:32 PM
We can stick with the FF talk all week. BUT when it comes to Davis and his running mate at Garfield, both a really amazing players. I'm just not sure Davis is interested. He came in late fall ad looked like he wasted his and our time. Arizona or Oregon type id. Not that it matters, but he is a good one. Academically sound as well.
As to the FF.........let's go win this thing. We have so much coming back.

Not disagreeing, but curious about more detail why his visit was a waste of time? Makes sense, seeing how most of the other programs he visited with PAC12

Zagdawg
03-29-2017, 01:37 PM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 3m3 minutes ago
More
Hearing former Washington signee Daejon Davis leaning towards going to Stanford, per source.