I remember a comment from Richard Fox on a early TV broadcast about Jonathan Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demian
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

I remember a comment from Richard Fox on a early TV broadcast about Jonathan Williams

I remember early in the season (approx. 4 games or so into season) when GU was playing a pointless game on Root Sports and it was right in the middle of Jonathon Williams really weird early season struggles he had in our non conference games where it was an offensive foul, missed dunk, turnover almost every time he touched the ball. Most Zags fans were frustrated with Jonathan Williams and the calls for Collins or Tillie to start ahead of Williams were strong from most fans. Richard Fox said in that broadcast something to the effect of = "Gonzaga has high hopes for this season and they are realistic hopes, but NONE of those hopes are realized this season without Jonathon Williams". WOW was that ever a accurate statement by Richard Fox. He or Heister then said that the = "work that Williams did this offseason and during preseason practices have afforded him the right to ABSOLUTELY be a starting low post player on this team." We are a great team obviously but Jonathon Williams has been an amazing player to watch develop this season and his BEST GAMES ARE AGAINST THE BEST OPPONENTS. Great prediction by Fox and Heister and the Root Sports broadcasting team about the importance of Jonathon Williams to this season and great job of Williams to fulfill the importance that was required of him
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Zags have never had a player like him in the Few era. The guy can guard point guards.

People forget....he was a universal top 50 player coming out of high school. Izzo wanted him badly....even when he decided to leave Mizzou. Thank goodness he chose GU.

Comment

• demian
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
      Zags have never had a player like him in the Few era. The guy can guard point guards.

People forget....he was a universal top 50 player coming out of high school. Izzo wanted him badly....even when he decided to leave Mizzou. Thank goodness he chose GU.
      So well said by you. I agree, I said to my dad and brother when we were watching the post game interview on the court with few and Williams and I think it was NWG right after game ended, Williams was interviewed and I said to my dad and brother that Williams is the type of player we have longed for.

Comment

• demian
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2007

I had no clue he was a top 50 player out of high school. I can definetly see why!! I also had no clue Tom Izzo was after him badly. I can also see why on that issue!!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Phenomenal player at his best right now. He was MOP and our NC hopes are significantly tied to him. A unicorn among Zag players.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
            Administrator
            • Apr 2009

He was the team leader in scoring, rebounding, and blocked shots as a sophomore while playing in the SEC. He was willing to subordinate his individual numbers for the greater good on a better team. He is a special player for our program.
            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• MickMick
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Put Cory Violette's skill set in Errol Knight's body and you get JWIII.
              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Zaga
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                Phenomenal player at his best right now. He was MOP and our NC hopes are significantly tied to him. A unicorn among Zag players.
                JWIII's performance in the tournament is what peaking at the right time looks like. Very happy to see JP have a solid game.

Comment

• CdAZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2013

I believe he has been the missing piece of the puzzle. This team has had great bigs, and great guards - but not this athletic of a 'tweener. How many times this season has he been able to switch off on point guards and hold them at bay, and how many blocks has he had where someone finally made it by him and he chased them down from behind. And then his ability to hit the 3, and his great post moves. Really under the radar but such a vital piece to this team.

Comment

• MickMick
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CdAZagFan View Post
                    I believe he has been the missing piece of the puzzle. This team has had great bigs, and great guards - but not this athletic of a 'tweener. How many times this season has he been able to switch off on point guards and hold them at bay, and how many blocks has he had where someone finally made it by him and he chased them down from behind. And then his ability to hit the 3, and his great post moves. Really under the radar but such a vital piece to this team.
                    When they play South Carolina, not if, the interactions between South Carolina's Silva and GU's Williams will be epic.
                    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

J3 is laying a trap for the FF: coaches will play "Hack a J3", and he's going to hit 80% from the line.

Comment

• BayAreaZagFan
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                        I've been thinking all season how much he reminds me of Errol Knight - always working hard, hustling for every rebound and loose ball, plays bigger than his size, sets the energy level and defensive tone for the rest of the team. He is the type of player that the Zags need every year, but only seem to get once in a while. He's a great player, although I wish he was a little better with his free throws.
                        My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Zaga View Post
                          JWIII's performance in the tournament is what peaking at the right time looks like. Very happy to see JP have a solid game.
                          As I think back through the season and the biggest games, he seems to always play very well in the big games, even ones where most others don't. He's kind of got a little of that "Big Game James Worthy" thing about him.
                          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• billyberu
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                            I think people forget how good of a rebounder Cory Violette was. Wasn't a hair over 6'8" but Chunk could out muscle just about anyone.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                            There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                            Surfmonkey89

Comment

Working...
                            X