PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Xavier ... post game thoughts and feelings

Reborn
03-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Gonzags 83
Xavier 59

Gonzaga breaks through and is finally heading to The Final Four.

Break On Through to the Other Side: They certainly did and they led us all the way through. I will NEVER forget this day and this moment and how it feels. I'm speechless. There are no words to describe this feeling.

And I'm still dancing. Dancing in the streets.

Congratulations to Mark Few, his coaching assistants, and his TEAM, The Mighty Zags!!! Congrats to ZagNation.....We're the BEST fans in America.

And the Zags did it in high fashion canning 12 threes in 24 attempts. They were 8-12 the first half and were ON FIRE. I pretty much felt that the Zags would win going away. I don't know why I felt it, but I did. I just think this team is sooooooooo awesome.
I predicted a 19 point victory (see prediction thread). Zags scored 49 first half points, and held Xavier to 20 second half points. This was the 3rd game in a row that we held teams to below 60 points.

I really like how I feel, and I am kind of speechless right now; so I'll stop. I just wanted to post this 'cause I feel some of you are waiting for it.

Go Zags!!!

strikenowhere
03-25-2017, 08:16 PM
I felt calm throughout this whole game - I think for me, seeing the Zags grind out the previous win against West Virginia, has proven to me they are not the Zags teams of yesteryear and that they will finish what others have started.

T-bonedazag
03-25-2017, 08:33 PM
my heart is full.....Go Zags!

Reborn
03-25-2017, 08:40 PM
I want to make sure that I thank everyone who is a part of GuBoards and especially those who have posted here over the years, but really also all of you who just come to read and be a part of that way. This Men's Basketball Forum has been a really cool part of my life over the last 15 years or more. In a way we are kind of like a family. We've been through a lot together over the years. Lots of tremendous joy but also mixed in with a few heartaches and deep wells of pain. But we've grown together through it all. I am glad I survived long enough to see this day and to share it with you. We never gave up hope and our faith remained strong. And now that door that was shut and kept us out for so long, has now been shattered. Break on through to the other side. I love the other side. Feels great. God bless you all, And God bless ZagNation!!!

Go Zags!!!

BayAreaZagFan
03-25-2017, 09:33 PM
I haven't been able to stop smiling from about the last tv timeout of the game. What a great performance when they needed it! What a great feeling!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

gueastcoast
03-25-2017, 09:40 PM
I want to make sure that I thank everyone who is a part of GuBoards and especially those who have posted here over the years, but really also all of you who just come to read and be a part of that way. This Men's Basketball Forum has been a really cool part of my life over the last 15 years or more. In a way we are kind of like a family. We've been through a lot together over the years. Lots of tremendous joy but also mixed in with a few heartaches and deep wells of pain. But we've grown together through it all. I am glad I survived long enough to see this day and to share it with you. We never gave up hope and our faith remained strong. And now that door that was shut and kept us out for so long, has now been shattered. Break on through to the other side. I love the other side. Feels great. God bless you all, And God bless ZagNation!!!

Go Zags!!!

Reborn, you always get it just right. GO ZAGS!!!!

PNW Zagfan
03-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Gonzags 83
Xavier 59

Break On Through to the Other Side: They certainly did and they led us all the way through. I will NEVER forget this day and this moment and how it feels. I'm speechless. There are no words to describe this feeling.

Congratulations to Mark Few, his coaching assistants, and his TEAM, The Mighty Zags!!! Congrats to ZagNation.....We're the BEST fans in America.

And the Zags did it in high fashion canning 12 threes in 24 attempts. They were 8-12 the first half and were ON FIRE. I pretty much felt that the Zags would win going away. I don't know why I felt it, but I did. I just think this team is sooooooooo awesome.
I predicted a 19 point victory (see prediction thread). Zags scored 49 first half points, and held Xavier to 20 second half points. This was the 3rd game in a row that we held teams to below 60 points.

I really like how I feel, and I am kind of speechless right now; so I'll stop. I just wanted to post this 'cause I feel some of you are waiting for it.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn, your best post-game post yet. Enjoy the afterglow of such a great win and thank you for your efforts on the message board.

Reborn
03-25-2017, 10:33 PM
Reborn, your best post-game post yet. Enjoy the afterglow of such a great win and thank you for your efforts on the message board.

Your welcome

GrizZAG
03-25-2017, 10:54 PM
For some of us die hard long suffering older fans who wondered if they would live long enough to see this day come...it did! The glass is broken! Our man Mark Few is redeemed along with an incredible storied program that has knocked on that door long enough. Now are the Zags legit enough detractors?

To all the people I have annoyed with my Zagmania for so long, I know you are happy too for the Zags.

The truth is, we just moved to Goodyear a few weeks ago for our winter place. I can see that huge dome when I go for groceries and have wished my favorite team on the planet could be there this year. Wish 1 Granted!
Incredibly three minutes before the game started our new neighbors showed up to visit at the door. I had the DVR on so I was ok with watching it later. Yeah, right. Didn't want to alienate my new neighbors so it was trickier than a Great Wallenda walk on the wire 40 stories up.

Just one darn happy day wasn't it?

CdAZagFan
03-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Always look forward to your post game thoughts, Reborn.

Just an incredible performance on the biggest stage of the year (to-date). I am so proud of these guys to have embraced the challenge of breaking that Final Four ceiling and then working their tails off to get there (through the varied styles of SDSU, Northwestern, Press Virginia and now Xavier). And I'm elated for Coach Few. To go over 500 wins in this tourney, and now to have his first Final Four. Couldn't have happened to a better person...

And to watch all these players in their interviews the last few days - all are so impressive in their choice of words, and their love for playing for this "family" - and appreciative of those that came before them. Really cool to see.

It's going to be a great week... I just happened to be wearing my "We're Not Done Yet" t-shirt from last season (which I think is so appropriate for this coming weekend also!

rennis
03-25-2017, 11:04 PM
Soak it up Reborn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ProVeeZag
03-25-2017, 11:07 PM
Can't wipe the smile from my face tonight! :D:D:D

Just a warm, warm feeling of gratefulness to so many who have been part of the Gonzaga basketball program over the years ... and that's not just limited to the last 19 years of NCAA tournaments. It's wonderful to be a fan of a program that is, at its heart, all about doing things "the right way". I can't find the words to express what a positive force the GU basketball program has been for me and my family the past couple of decades.

Still work to be done yet ... let's finish the job men!!

ZionZag
03-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Gonzags 83
Xavier 59

Go Zags!!!

Said just right Reborn.....I got real emotional as Fewie emptied the bench...

Reborn
03-26-2017, 08:28 AM
My first thought after waking up this morning and rubbing the cobwebs from my eyes, was "We did it." They certainly did. I like Sundays during basketball season because it truly is "a day of rest." It's a quiet day when I can enjoy the afterglow of winning. This morning the after glow is huge and bright, but still so peaceful. It's filled with this beautiful quiet and serene sense of joy that comes after a huge accomplishment. I can't thank Mark Few enough for sticking to his plan all these years, and never giving up. He has certainly been a great leader to all of us beginning with his team, coaches, university, Spokane, all of us in Washington and the PNW. He has built a huge community of believers that we call ZagNation. As big as it has been it's gonna get larger now because he has finally done with the doubters had been waiting for, making it to the Final Four. I am a proud member of ZagNation. I stand with you all.

That game last night was so beautiful. It was sooooo good. Soooooo sweet. The outside shots began to fall and it began to rain three's in that arena in the first half. And ALL the Ninja Shooters joined in the 3 point fest, one after another: Perkins, Mathews, Perkins again, Nigel Williams Goss, Mathews again, Melson, J Williams, Perkins again, Mathews again. The Zags showed us all that they really can shoot when it's really needed. hahahahahah Just kiddin. And the Defense continued to be a thing of beauty, once again holding a team under 60 points. A ten point half-time lead didn't seem enough or safe to me at the time. My son and I talked about it and figured that they would need to score more in the second half and build a bigger lead. We felt they'd need to hit some more three's in order to build that lead. And the Zags did just that, hitting 5 more three's in the second half, bringing the total to 13. But more than that it was the defense that built that 25 point lead. The boys held Xavier to 20 second half points. In the short interview with Few at the half, he was not pleased with his teams defense in the first half. He must have said some mmm interesting things to say. hahaha

For me the play of J Williams was just incredible. He was unstoppable. His energy was magnificent. The first time I saw him play like he did yesterday was in the first game with St Mary's. I was shocked that night to see the talent this young man has. And his experience last night may have topped that. And Nigel Wiliams-Goss certainly played one of his best games this year. Mathews continued to be so hot from behind the 3 point line. He really has held this team together in this tournament with his 3 point shooting. And I wonder if any of you have stopped to take a look at how he plays defense. Just incredible. He is the one who's usually assigned to the opponent's small forwards or 3's. They are usually 6'5 or 6'6" or 6' 7". Most fans I believe thought that that would be our biggest problem this year, who would be able to guard the 3. Mathews, and often Melson has answered the call. And did Josh Perkins ever come back to life yesterday. It was so beautiful to see him leading the way in the 3 point fest. And Mount K is just Mt K. He force, a giant of a man. He is the center piece of this very beautiful offense. He is the one who gets mugged, beaten, game after game, and he really took it in this tourament. and mostly he takes the punishment with a smile. He's a true leader imo. And one of the greatest we've ever had. I'm so happy for him, and so glad he was able to come back from his injury and play again. Our bench: Melson, Collins and Tillie are also such a huge piece to this puzzle. Two freshmen playing like upperclassmen, and a Junior finally finding his nitch. these three are soooo tough, and are certainly the best bench in the country. They all can hit the 3, and are great rebounders. Their toughness sets an example to the whole team.

And I saw them all play their best game this year at just the right time. They were ready. And after the ref tossed the jump ball up into the air, they were ready to do what we all have waited to see for 20 years......or more. Thank you Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
03-26-2017, 10:48 AM
In his post-game remarks, Coach Mack said it was difficult to do a day and a half turnaround and have a short prep period for a team like Gonzaga. I have no way of knowing which assistant coach had the primary "scout" duty for the Musketeers but he deserves a raise. Zags seemed ready for anything Xavier tried to do last night.

Perhaps when the last horn sounds and the history of this remarkable season is written, we'll learn more about the team behind the team.

Reborn
03-26-2017, 11:39 AM
I saw Coach Ken Bones on the sidelines last night. He is a great coach. Used to coach at WSU for a number of years. I really like and respect his basketball knowledge. He's now an assistant coach for some reason.

Zags11
03-26-2017, 09:33 PM
Amazing. Played so well and kept the foot on their opponents neck all game long. It was a surreal moment that I will or my family will ever forget. We went to Applebee's last night in celebration and then went and greeted the team after.

Awesome.