PDA

View Full Version : How the WCC helped Gonzaga reach it's first final four

CDC84
03-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Everyone from Dave Rose to Kyle Smith used multiple defenses against Gonzaga all during league. I mean, literally switching from possession to possession.

Xavier had to adopt that philosophy this year when they lost their starting PG and other players. It's part of the reason why they were able to make this run.

Although they didn't seem to switch as much as in other games in the tourney, the experience of going against teams they employ this strategy paid dividends for Gonzaga when playing Xavier on short notice. Starting with NWG, these guys are great at picking up defensive changes by possession.

ehk 21
03-25-2017, 09:30 PM
If the WCC were such a detriment to the program, then how did we get to the Final Four? Look at proud basketball programs like Georgetown, St. John's and DePaul. They are in the vaunted Big East Conference that so many here want us to join and look at where they are now. Arguably St. Mary's is in a better place at this moment, than those three former greats. It's not the Conference affiliation that's essential: it's the program. I think this team's accomplishments highlights this fact. Not saying that conference affiliation isn't important, but ultimately it's the quality of basketball program, and the culture surrounding it, that a university and coaching staff puts together that determines one's destiny more than the conference.

krozman
03-25-2017, 10:12 PM
ehhh we win despite our conference not because of our conference. I don't think conference affiliation is fair to judge a team, but that also doesn't mean the conference gets to take any credit when they do well. I'm not going to hate on the WCC, but i'm definitely not to going to give them additional credit just because Gonzaga is finally past that Final Four barrier. Letting sleeping dogs lie on that one. Good news is that the WCC gets more money because of our success. Lets hope they spend it on getting their programs better!

soccerdud
03-25-2017, 11:04 PM
ehhh we win despite our conference not because of our conference. I don't think conference affiliation is fair to judge a team, but that also doesn't mean the conference gets to take any credit when they do well. I'm not going to hate on the WCC, but i'm definitely not to going to give them additional credit just because Gonzaga is finally past that Final Four barrier. Letting sleeping dogs lie on that one. Good news is that the WCC gets more money because of our success. Lets hope they spend it on getting their programs better!

agree with this. it was ridiculous to say that we couldn't get to a final four because of our conference. and now, it's at least as ridiculous to say that our conference gave us a competitive advantage in doing so. just cause the other side is obviously wrong doesn't mean we have one-up them in that department (this applies beyond basketball).

CDC84
03-26-2017, 12:24 AM
This nonsense was put to rest when Butler went to back to back title games. They came from the Horizon League....worse than the WCC.

soccerdud
03-26-2017, 12:41 AM
This nonsense was put to rest when Butler went to back to back title games. They came from the Horizon League....worse than the WCC.

you'd think. so why'd you double up on the ridiculous with the premise of your original post? (i.e. that the WCC is a competitive advantage, as opposed to simply not a disqualifying problem)

Ezag
03-26-2017, 12:47 AM
Our conference had little to do with us getting here. It was our team and coach

TravelinZag
03-26-2017, 03:41 AM
Our conference had little to do with us getting here. It was our team and coach

+1!!!

Zagger
03-26-2017, 05:06 AM
I'm going with .... it's the whole enchilada that has gotten the Zags to a F4. The WCC teams play GU hard. Winning games away in the WCC is no easy task. WCC teams and their fans get pretty fired up when the Bulldogs come to town. Those kinds of atmospheres toughen a team up. Yes, GU has a great program. I'd venture that it has the one of the most admirable program cultures that there is. GU is setting the bar pretty high for their WCC brethren and we can't forget that the 1 in 36-1 was from a WCC team. Where the Zags are now this season is a culmination of a slew of factors. The WCC is in the mix. IMHO where the WCC ranks in that mix is certainly not at the bottom. I hope that with the Zags reaching the F4 that it motivates other WCC programs to loftier goals. It's taken GU a few years to reach this point. It'll take a few years yet for the WCC to move further up the conference rankings.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2017, 05:13 AM
see dee, click bait, shame on you. Love ya, one shining moment.