PDA

View Full Version : In recognition of past players.

YukonJack
03-25-2017, 08:01 PM
I get emotional looking at past players over the last twenty years. I thought for this thread for each of us to choose a player from this magical era and say something about that player. One player per poster if that is okay. I'll start it off randomly, and keep in mind this player does not have to be a starter. Hopefully we can get eveyone mentioned. My pick is Derek Raivio. Derek always amazed me with his toughness and he was a great FT shooter. The best ever at GU. I wish he could have had better in the UCLA loss. I rarely saw him smile that year but he had a great sr season. He reminds me of the Professor in those trick You Tube videos. He has been very succesful and has had a great pro career. Thank you Derek for being such a blessing and continuing the tradition of having great Zag guards throughout.

Btw ..I could say so much more but its so hard on this phone.

sittingon50
03-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Raivio is my 1B, Yukon.

1A is Casey Calvary. Until Shem came along, Casey (& Mark Spink) won more NCAA Tourney games than any Zag.

Casey was just so hyper-competitive that he willed his team to a lot of victories. The most telling thing I've ever heard in that regard came from former Asst. Coach Bill Grier. To paraphrase he said "Casey was a scary dude. Even the coaching staff was afraid of him." Love it.

basketballzag
03-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Sean Mallon bc without him m the Zags wouldn't have program progressed

NEC26
03-25-2017, 09:34 PM
J.P. Batista is one of my all time favorite players but I love them all really. Each have their own place and memories.

MJ777
03-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Since Raivio has been taken I will mention one of the other Vancouver area Zags. Zach Gourde; he wasn't the most talented big on the team, but like Mallon did in his time, he did his part to help move the GU program forward. He played on the same Prairie HS team as DD.

229SintoZag
03-25-2017, 09:44 PM
J.P. Batista is one of my all time favorite players but I love them all really. Each have their own place and memories.

Frank Burgess. He put Gonzaga on the map before Stockton.

Just really too bad he left us too soon, nobody would have enjoyed today's Zag victory more...

CdAZagFan
03-25-2017, 10:30 PM
I'd have to say Mike Hart... He epitomizes what this "team" has been over the last two decades. Find your role, and excel in that role - put your personal stats aside and just do whatever it takes to get the job done.

caduceus
03-25-2017, 10:44 PM
So many to name, but Errol frickin' Knight comes first to mind. Great hops and Zag spirit.

One thing to note about the Zags of the late '80s and '90s. Those guys are pretty much unheralded, but the Fitz years were great for GU basketball. The teams in the '90s, including the great '99 team, had I think eight seasons of 20+ wins.

The most peculiar memory I have is the first few years of real success, when CBS and ESPN didn't even have a logo image for the Zags for their on-screen graphics. Just "Gonzaga Bulldogs" in text fashion. That actually went on for a couple of years, if I recall.

Spike94
03-25-2017, 10:54 PM
I know its not a player and you can delete this post if you want, but I want to put Father Tony in this thread. His contributions to GU Basketball may not have been seen on the court, but he was a grounding influence to our young men. To remind them what it was to be a Zag. To work hard for a goal, and keep working when the odds were against them. I look at that chair every time I have ever been to the MAC and I think that is just as much about the success of GU basketball as any player.

ProVeeZag
03-25-2017, 10:55 PM
Corey Violette...the big man from Boise area. Was lucky enough to have my picture taken with Corey in the old Kennel. Corey was so tough ... he played through sprained ankles on several occasions. There was no quit in Corey.

ZionZag
03-25-2017, 11:04 PM
Matty.......Just think, as a 18 yo freshman going into Madison Square Garden and slapping around the NC Tarheels....Geez, what a night and then having most of the offense go through him for several years. I remember the first few games the year after he left and the noticeable adjustment we had to make!!!!

ProVeeZag
03-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Matty.......Just think, as a 18 yo freshman going into Madison Square Garden and slapping around the NC Tarheels....Geez, what a night and then having most of the offense go through him for several years. I remember the first few games the year after he left and the noticeable adjustment we had to make!!!!

Matt Bouldin is at the top of my list of all-time favorite Zags (along with the already mentioned Errol Knight). Matty had a great all-around game - passing, shooting, rebounding, and toughness.

fedwayzag
03-25-2017, 11:32 PM
What about Jeff Brown. Was he not one of the first UW transfers? We have had quite a few and Nigel is up there with the best of them. Without the transfers this year we do not make the final four. Congrats

gonzagafan62
03-25-2017, 11:35 PM
My favorite Steven Gray

demian
03-25-2017, 11:41 PM
Calvary would have been my guy to comment on but somebody already did a great job of listing him here earlier. So I will go with Morrison. I think Morrison made Gonzaga really really cool. He took Gonzaga to a whole nother level. Morrison was a transcendent player. even non basketball fans knew who Morrison was. I loved that guy. always rose to the moment and had good performances when the lights were brightest. I will never forget hearing Kobe Bryant speak of Adam Morrison once when Kobe Bryant was on a late night tv show (it was david letterman show or Jimmy Kimmel show or Jimmy Fallon show something like that). The host was saying to Kobe basically what a joke it is to have Adam Morrison on there NBA title team roster. Kobe said, man you just don't know, Adam is a great player, he can score, he tears it up in practice, he just doesn't get to play much on this team etc etc. High praise from Kobe. Mount Rushmore of GU hoops for me is Stockton, Calvary, Morrison, and then you can pick #4

maynard g krebs
03-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Dan Dickau. In '97 when he was a fr at UW, I went to one of their exhibition games because it was free, and after seeing Dan play, the next day I bought a season ticket. Six bucks a game for general admission; for a lot of the games you could just walk down and sit in about the 5th row, it was so empty. Then the Huskies squeaked into the tourney with a season ending win over UCLA and made the sweet 16.

In December of that year, GU came to town; Santangelo, Frahm, Calvary, Hall, Hendrix et al. I was like, wow, this doesn't look like a small school team at all. UW with MacCulloch and Watts won about 88 to 81 or 2, but I became a Zag fan that night. And after a year of mostly misuse of Dan and a year of injury, I was really happy to hear he was transferring to GU as I had a pretty good idea of what he could do there. And having heard first hand reports of Stepp from folks in Eugene, I felt good about the chances of the then 2 year old run of the Zags continuing for a couple more. Little did I know....................

demian
03-26-2017, 01:20 AM
Dan Dickau. In '97 when he was a fr at UW, I went to one of their exhibition games because it was free, and after seeing Dan play, the next day I bought a season ticket. Six bucks a game for general admission; for a lot of the games you could just walk down and sit in about the 5th row, it was so empty. Then the Huskies squeaked into the tourney with a season ending win over UCLA and made the sweet 16.

In December of that year, GU came to town; Santangelo, Frahm, Calvary, Hall, Hendrix et al. I was like, wow, this doesn't look like a small school team at all. UW with MacCulloch and Watts won about 88 to 81 or 2, but I became a Zag fan that night. And after a year of mostly misuse of Dan and a year of injury, I was really happy to hear he was transferring to GU as I had a pretty good idea of what he could do there. And having heard first hand reports of Stepp from folks in Eugene, I felt good about the chances of the then 2 year old run of the Zags continuing for a couple more. Little did I know....................

great story. I remember watching the huskies team in 1998 with Mcullaugh when they lost at the buzzer to rip Hamilton and UConn. My son Isaiah who is a Huge GU fan was in the belly of his mother at the time, me and his mom we were watching the game at Reborn's house. we were deflated when UConn beat UW and bob bender in that game. We were so pumped up though for the future of UW hoops. We were just simply big fans of any basketball team in the state of Washington at that time.

my son Isaiah was born a week or so later after that UW loss to UConn (Isaiah was born 3/31/98).

The next spring was the beginning of it all. I was a young man still (25 years old), I watched the elite 8 game vs UConn in 1999 at Reborns house and I will never forget that game. My son was a little baby that day, he is now a freshman wide receiver at Idaho State University on there football team. So many great memories throughout the years. Our family has grown and matured and dealt with "life" and oh by the way Gonzaga hoops has been a MAJOR part of our once "young" families life transforming into a life of our kids "now grown"

Zagger
03-26-2017, 02:57 AM
I'd have to say Mike Hart... He epitomizes what this "team" has been over the last two decades. Find your role, and excel in that role - put your personal stats aside and just do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Hart is still prolly digging out splinters from all the ball diving he did! A great Zag.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-26-2017, 04:08 AM
My favorite Zag of this era is Blake Stepp. Just loved watching him drain 3's from way deep, loved his toughness and his talent. He had great size for a guard and great talent, but his heart and toughness are what made him a special player and my all time favorite Zag. He's a former player in particular whom I hope can go to the Final Four in person and root these guys on to victory. Wonder if a bunch of former players will be in attendance. Hope so.

GoZags
03-26-2017, 04:44 AM
I'll never forget former walk-on Mark Spink ... the slender tough guy who went toe to toe with Madsen and Young of Stanford in '99 ... and Postell and Glover of St. John's in '00. In my mind Spink is right up there when the term "ultimate" Zag is used.

FuManShoes
03-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Abdullahi Kuso.

"Who?" youngins ask. He's one of the many Zags who have stepped up over the years when the Zags faced adversity, as well as one of those great JC transfer stories GU become known for. By no means a star, he's a Zag who helped keep the run alive when Heytvelt was suspended and injured. For me he represents toughness, adaptability and one of the unheralded heroes. Next Zag up!

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/kuso_abdullahi00.html

former1dog
03-26-2017, 07:16 AM
Felix McGowan. He and I grew up together in a very small Montana town on an Indian Reservation. Improbably we both ended up as student athletes at Gonzaga.

Felix was a great addition to the Jeff Brown era Zags, the team I consider as the ones who really started Gonzaga on the path to excellence. These guys went from an 8-20 record to just a couple seasons later making the WCC tourney championship game and coming up a little short. Mark Few was a second or third assistant on those teams with Billy Grier and Dan Monson.

jim77
03-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Lot of GREAT ones here.

I'll go with one of the nicest persons I've ever met....Ronny Turiaf. He came to the Bismarck civic center while playing for the Yakima Sun kings. Ronny had just come back from his heart surgery. I personally had ben injured and was VERY unsure of my future. After the game me and my family waited to see if we could get his autograph. Not only did we get his autograph...but the guy sat there and talked to us for prolly 20 minutes. Again, prolly one of the nicest people I have ever met on God's green Earth. This world needs more like him.

As many GREAT ball players that GU has produced...they produce GREATER human beings.

NEC26
03-26-2017, 07:26 AM
I'll never forget former walk-on Mark Spink ... the slender tough guy who went toe to toe with Madsen and Young of Stanford in '99 ... and Postell and Glover of St. John's in '00. In my mind Spink is right up there when the term "ultimate" Zag is used.

What a great shout out. I remember that game so well and he played a big part. Another walk on that played a role in the Zags ascension.

Zagceo
03-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Lot of GREAT ones here.

I'll go with one of the nicest persons I've ever met....Ronny Turiaf. He came to the Bismarck civic center while playing for the Yakima Sun kings. Ronny had just come back from his heart surgery. I personally had ben injured and was VERY unsure of my future. After the game me and my family waited to see if we could get his autograph. Not only did we get his autograph...but the guy sat there and talked to us for prolly 20 minutes. Again, prolly one of the nicest people I have ever met on God's green Earth. This world needs more like him.

As many GREAT ball players that GU has produced...they produce GREATER human beings.

weii said

Stache
03-26-2017, 08:12 AM
Axel Dench. Jeremy Eaton. Jabari Hendrix. Anthony Reasons. Mike Leisure..... but from that era Matt Santagelo was the first great athlete guard of this era. He could penetrate, shot and leep. He was a step up in athletic ability and someone the other side had to account for.

NEC26
03-26-2017, 08:16 AM
I have already mentioned Batista but I can't believe no one has mentioned Frahm yet. He was a HUGE reason for our early cinderella succes in the NCAA tourney. I remember listening on the radio with Dennis Patchin calling so many threes from Frahm. Such an incredible three point shooter.

bobma2c
03-26-2017, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=YukonJack;1308137]I get emotional looking at past players over the last twenty years. I thought for this thread for each of us to choose a player from this magical era and say something about that player. One player per poster if that is okay.

Anthony Reason. He played with emotion and heart. I lost track of him, but I thinks I read somewhere he was in living in TN.

MJ777
03-26-2017, 09:25 AM
I have already mentioned Batista but I can't believe no one has mentioned Frahm yet. He was a HUGE reason for our early cinderella succes in the NCAA tourney. I remember listening on the radio with Dennis Patchin calling so many threes from Frahm. Such an incredible three point shooter.

I thought of Frahm (another Zag from SW Wa - Battle Ground HS), but Following the original poster's instructions I chose only one. I figured Frahm was low hanging fruit so I chose a lesser celebrated but important Zag - Z. Gourde. Walk-ons like Rem are Great Zags also.

Ikancagin
03-26-2017, 09:35 AM
I thought of Frahm (another Zag from SW Wa - Battle Ground HS), but Following the original poster's instructions I chose only one. I figured Frahm was low hanging fruit so I chose a lesser celebrated but important Zag - Z. Gourde. Walk-ons like Rem are Great Zags also.

Fragments is one of my favorites but I am also very fond of the first UW transfer and tough guy Eric Brady. He was a big part of the start of all of this. I vote for him.

MJ777
03-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Fragments is one of my favorites but I am also very fond of the first UW transfer and tough guy Eric Brady. He was a big part of the start of all of this. I vote for him.

Don't you hate auto correct sometimes?

madzag
03-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Also from the start of the run, Quentin Hall. Small in stature but loved his attitude and general pestering of opponents, remember him jawing at the UConn guards in the first Elite 8, plus his shot is half of 'the runner!'

Plus he was the namesake for Q the bulldog who was a fixture in the athletic dept and around campus when I was there

DixieZag
03-26-2017, 10:01 AM
We made it to Post #23 before my all-time fav got listed.

I've considered projects centered around defining a "Zag." And, I'm not clear on the whole definition yet, but I know the picture alongside would be Turiaf.

How many D-1 athletes turn down NBA-sized checks as Juniors because they can't bear the thought of their roommate - Brian Michaelson, who barely played - couldn't stand the thought of Brian being the only senior standing there on the next senior night? That's heart, a heart so big the Lakers figured out it needed to be tied down and stapled just to keep it in.

Plus, I doubt the Kennel was ever louder than when he got the alley-oop about 4 minutes into the UW game to put us up 10 (approx.).

Reborn
03-26-2017, 10:04 AM
My son Demian did a great job talking about my favorite player Adam Morrison so I'll go to my next favorite, Steph Gray. To me this guy stood for everything that a Zag is. When I think of toughness, and a player who is a warrior, I think of Steven Gray. I'll never forget the image I have of him running up court after a made basket with his braids flying behind him and the deep cut on his left cheek. My image of toughness. And what has irritated me the most throughout the years is analysts who have criticized Zag players over the year for NOT being tough. Shows how little those analysts really know. I think one of the most enjoyable things for me in the sport of basketball is seeing and proving the analysts and announcers wrong. And this year, this team has done that the best. Thank you Gonzaga!

Go Zags!!!

Ikancagin
03-26-2017, 12:14 PM
My son Demian did a great job talking about my favorite player Adam Morrison so I'll go to my next favorite, Steph Gray. To me this guy stood for everything that a Zag is. When I think of toughness, and a player who is a warrior, I think of Steven Gray. I'll never forget the image I have of him running up court after a made basket with his braids flying behind him and the deep cut on his left cheek. My image of toughness. And what has irritated me the most throughout the years is analysts who have criticized Zag players over the year for NOT being tough. Shows how little those analysts really know. I think one of the most enjoyable things for me in the sport of basketball is seeing and proving the analysts and announcers wrong. And this year, this team has done that the best. Thank you Gonzaga!

Go Zags!!!

I remember him shutting down Clay Thompson in a duel, and after a particularly tough play, Thompson went to the floor and Gray straddling over him and looking down at him, said "not in my house".

Alum08
03-27-2017, 08:24 AM
I'd like to give a shout-out to Jeremy Pargo. A lot of Zags fans weren't sure if a combo guard from Chicago would be able to fit into our system. Not only did he excel at GU and became an NBA-caliber PG, he has been a great ambassador for GU at home and abroad. He always played with a cool fire. I never saw him get into any trouble on campus so he was either wise enough to keep his nose clean or wise enough to never get caught. I have also seen him at several recent east coast games where we've only had a couple hundred fans in attendance and he would always bring along some of his NBA buddies to share a piece of the GU experience with them. It should also be noted that he was by far the best dunker in GU history (sorry Ira), and he has possibly the most memorable dunk in Euroleague history. All-around nice guy and a definitive Zag in my book.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Maybe I'm going too far back, but everyone who put on a Zag uniform is part of the brotherhood. My years at GU included players such as Reed Schifferman, Ken Tyler, Greg Sten, Stew Morrill, Willie Moss, Carl Minns, to name several. Also wanted to give a shout out to Joe Clayton, who played a wicked sociology experiment on several buddies and me in the Bookstore.

It was similar to the language used in Blazing Saddles.

CDC84
03-27-2017, 08:36 AM
JP Batista.

Stepp a close second.

Jeremy Pargo is without a doubt the best story. Some posters felt he didn't belong at GU because of his academic issues, but the coaches and GU admin saw a work ethic and a kid who just wanted to get off the streets of Chicago with all the gangs and murders. He delivered despite even one poster calling him a "punk."

I am glad that poster doesn't post here anymore.

Guys like Stepp and Knight whose careers were severely challenged due to injuries also hold a special spot in my heart.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 08:53 AM
JP Batista.

Stepp a close second.

Jeremy Pargo is without a doubt the best story. Some posters felt he didn't belong at GU because of his academic issues, but the coaches and GU admin saw a work ethic and a kid who just wanted to get off the streets of Chicago with all the gangs and murders. He delivered despite even one poster calling him a "punk."

I am glad that poster doesn't post here anymore.

Guys like Stepp and Knight whose careers were severely challenged due to injuries also hold a special spot in my heart.

Jeremy graduated, didn't he? That's all one needs to know. He represented GU well during his four years here.

CDC84
03-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Jeremy did graduate. As did his brother Jannero from Arkansas (although he had to go the JC route first). His mother did an incredible job raising them in circumstances that most of us will never see. I will never forget the stories of Few checking in on him regularly because he so concerned about his ability to adjust to surroundings that were so foreign to him. However, one of the early stories that I heard is that within hours of arriving at GU as a freshman, he was playing football with a bunch of regular students outside his dorm. The guy has and still has an affable personality. And he also managed to produce one of the greatest quotes in GU history....a standard that Hondo and I still live by: "You can't go wrong with a cheeseburger. You always know what you're getting with a cheeseburger."

I wish that more news channels and papers spent more time highlighting stories like the Pargo family, but it doesn't sell. But that's another discussion that doesn't belong on this board but that I think most of us would agree with.

Bogozags
03-27-2017, 09:33 AM
I am bad with names but am sure several of you will know of whom I reference...I believe the Zag that most put GU on the map was the GU President that approved the hiring of Mark Few as GU's Head Men's Basketball Coach after Coach Monson moved on to University of Minnesota.

Many may disagree because he isn't a "player" but I think this was the most important decision in the history of GU's Men's Baskeball history.

With regards to a specific player, I chose Casey as the most influential player that carried the program forward to where it is today...all his hard work and enthusiasm and being in the right place at the right time made him a shinning example of what a Zag is!

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 09:41 AM
I am bad with names but am sure several of you will know of whom I reference...I believe the Zag that most put GU on the map was the GU President that approved the hiring of Mark Few as GU's Head Men's Basketball Coach after Coach Monson moved on to University of Minnesota.

Many may disagree because he isn't a "player" but I think this was the most important decision in the history of GU's Men's Baskeball history.

With regards to a specific player, I chose Casey as the most influential player that carried the program forward to where it is today...all his hard work and enthusiasm and being in the right place at the right time made him a shinning example of what a Zag is!

I'm sure you're referring to Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J., GU '74. Fr. Bob is one of the most dynamic and compelling public speakers I have ever heard. His book, "Healing the Culture" isn't light reading, but it's a heckuva book.

Bogozags
03-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Thank you for assisting an "old" man with memory issues - CRS seems to be taking over my mind .... lol

Alum08
03-27-2017, 09:47 AM
I'm sure you're referring to Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J., GU '74. Fr. Bob is one of the most dynamic and compelling public speakers I have ever heard. His book, "Healing the Culture" isn't light reading, but it's a heckuva book.

"Here, let me tell you why string theory proves the existence of God..."

I don't want to get into the formality of the argument, but would like to point out that it takes an active and compelling mind to meld and digest those topics for discourse.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Thank you for assisting an "old" man with memory issues - CRS seems to be taking over my mind .... lol

You're welcome...what the heck is "CRS"? :lmao:

I'll bet the S is for "syndrome".

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 09:51 AM
"Here, let me tell you why string theory proves the existence of God..."

I don't want to get into the formality of the argument, but would like to point out that it takes an active and compelling mind to meld and digest those topics for discourse.

Beer or wine helps during the discourse of weighty topics. I was not at all fazed when the bill for the 6 of us at our watch party exceeded $200...my beer tab alone was over $40. Thankfully, my wife joined us for the event, and drove home.

BoZarth
03-27-2017, 10:06 AM
This is so tough. So many players come to mind. Mark Spink popped in first because of the image I still have in my mind of him battling future NBAer Mark Madson of Stanford. If I was coaching GU I'd show video of Spink to each and every player to illustrate what it means to compete. But, hey, GoZags beat me to it.

So many studs have put on the Zag uniform. So, I'm going with David Pendergraft. I'd splice in some Pendo with the Spink highlights. In my opinion, the closest the program came to having the streak of NCAA tournaments bids come to an end was the 2006-07 season. Remember arguably our best player Josh Heytvelt was suspended, and with no real marque wins other than #13 UW, of course, a loss in the WCC tournament would've probably sent the team to the NIT. Pendo stepped up big in the WCC tournament championship game to beat Santa Clara on their homecourt.

Go Zags!!!!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
03-27-2017, 10:13 AM
I feel Adam is the most vindicated, but shout out to Sam Dower from my home state of Minnesota. A decade or so after Monson leaves GU for MN, a player from MN spurns the Gophers to play for the Zags. Great talent, great passion, and proved we can recruit talent from anywhere in the country.

NJZag
03-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Lot of GREAT ones here.

He was at the San Jose games and still the same friendly Ronny -- happy to chat about old times / good times on the campus. He mentioned he stays in touch with Dan and they reminisce about what an amazing ride their collegiate playing careers were.

Robzagnut
03-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Austin Daye - the forgotten Zag. He was the first to leave 2 years early, so we didn't get to know him as well as others. 6' 10" with a feathery touch. Not sure why some don't like him, but he's a Zag through-and through. Maybe because he got that smirk when he got called for a foul? Was watching the tournament this year and a player jumped and tried to block a shot at the 3 point line and fouled the shooter. One announcer said, "You should never leave your feet to try and block a 3 point shot. When was the last time you saw someone block a 3 point shot?"

And I thought at that time, "You never saw Austin Daye play defense on the perimeter."

SunDevilGolfZag
03-27-2017, 11:33 AM
I could easily name a dozen but I'm going with Elias Harris. One of our all time greats and was so kind to kids (my little boy in particular on a couple of occasions). A great one.

gueastcoast
03-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Because he hasn't been named: Heytfelt. Freak athlete and redemption story, also a very decent human being. Heytvelt > Hansbrough at the Garden....'nuff said. Great profile-raiser for us in the east.

Once and Future Zag
03-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Rob Sacre. Big dude, biggest personality.

What I remember clearest about his on-court time was his Mano-a-mano duel with Delly during the 2012 WCC tourney. It gave me goosebumps watching it as it was happening, and still does.

NotoriousZ
03-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Since most of my favorites have been mentioned (Adam, Knight, Frahm, and Pargo come to mind), I'll pick Gary Bell Jr.

Sweet jumper, awesome D, and one of the nicest persons you'll ever meet.

azzagfan
03-27-2017, 12:27 PM
I've always loved the Eastern Washington guys who helped the community feel a real bond with the Zags

Jeff Brown
Ryan Floyd
Jeremy Eaton
Adam Morrison
Sean Mallon
David Pendergraft
David Stockton

The bond of bigger cities, international flavor and some home cooking is a great mix.

As the program has grown bigger, these guys have kept the heart of Spokane and the Inland Empire with the program.

caduceus
03-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Can't forget the pride of Bonney Lake -- big Will Foster!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_headshot/3627394.jpeg

MJ777
03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Can't forget the pride of Bonney Lake -- big Will Foster!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_headshot/3627394.jpeg

The guy stuck it out and gave it his all. The block against Samham was epic.

JPW314159
03-27-2017, 07:08 PM
I don't post often, but I spend many hours reading these threads. My choice is not so much for the playing career of a Zag, but for the posting career of a Zag. Reborn, I'm talking about you. I hope you somehow can make it to Glendale.

Club Prez
03-27-2017, 07:25 PM
I will nominate the kid that lead my former high school to its only state basketball championship in over 50 years & showed great determination in his GU career - former walk-on Kyle Bankhead.

ZionZag
03-27-2017, 07:45 PM
I will nominate the kid that lead my former high school to its only state basketball championship in over 50 years & showed great determination in his GU career - former walk-on Kyle Bankhead.

Was that WW " WA HIGH"?

ZionZag
03-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Because he hasn't been named: Heytfelt. Freak athlete and redemption story, also a very decent human being. Heytvelt > Hansbrough at the Garden....'nuff said. Great profile-raiser for us in the east.

What a night......made Hansbrough look like a big no body....

RenoZag
03-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Sabonis. One of the best bigs we've had in the 19 year streak of attending the Big Dance. He was such a key part in keeping it going in 2016.

And he was such a bad-ass. Really fun to watch

GrizZAG
03-27-2017, 08:33 PM
The player that put Gonzaga on the map....John Stockton is my pick.

I loved so many of them this is a hard proposition to pick one. Arguably Adam Morrison elevated Gonzaga to a level of national attention with his high powered offense and "The Stache". Highest scorer in the nation as I recall at what, 28+ per game? Just explosive.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 12:58 AM
Bankhead was truly special because that 2003/04 team got to, what, #2 in the nation at some point?? To have a friggin' walk on as your starting off guard is incredible to think about. I will never forget a clutch three that he hit at Portland that sealed a win that was dangerously close to a loss.

It was impossible not to like Pendo. He was one of Billy Raff's favorite players. He once called him "the red head that wears overalls on the court." BTW - he was at the game on Saturday. He sticks out quite easily. Not a lot of 6-6 pure red heads around.

strikenowhere
03-28-2017, 05:10 AM
Matt Bouldin - he is my all-time favorite Zag, was a great combo guard, and was so cool under pressure.

gonstu
03-28-2017, 05:20 AM
I could be wrong because I scrolled through the posts pretty quickly, but if I'm right...4 pages without reference to one of the greats: Kevin Pangos !!! Ran the team that Got zags back to the E8. One of the nicest guys ever. And responsible for a great quote: 'shoot when you're hot, shoot to get hot'

CarolinaZagFan
03-28-2017, 05:24 AM
The one and only Bol Kong. Legends never die!

zagzilla
03-28-2017, 07:34 AM
How about Richard Fox? Big man transfer who stayed close to the program, bleeds GU blue and helps us enjoy many games as sidekick to Greg Heister and Dan Dickau.

Heister takes a lot of crap but, I for one, would love to hear those guys call the FF. Be fun to reminisce about some of our favorite Heister, Dickau, Fox broadcast moments while we are at it.

ZZ

Birddog
03-28-2017, 08:40 AM
I've got to give a shout out to Stephen Gentry a former pine riding walk-on from Ft Scott Kansas who set the standard for how to dribble out the clock to end the game. Stephen is now an assistant coach and at last report was still at Oklahoma St. I'm not sure if he will be let go, move on with Underwood or stay with Boynton.

JLGutrocks
03-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Erroll Knight was my all time fav (gotta love the yankin the chair move), but Pendo and Micah need some luv too.

bigblahla
03-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Love them all specially the hard hat guys, Neilson. Spink, Pendo & Hart...and David Stockton too...Stepp and Bouldin..big faves and of course Jazz'z fave DD...

Go!! Zags!!!

Club Prez
03-29-2017, 04:56 AM
Was that WW " WA HIGH"?

Yes I matriculated at Walla Walla High School many moons prior to Kyle. I was the team manager in Jim Thacker's first year as coach and he also coached Bankhead. Would love to see Kyle come back to the coaching staff some day.

kclubfounder
03-29-2017, 06:43 AM
My favorite Zag of this era is Blake Stepp. Just loved watching him drain 3's from way deep, loved his toughness and his talent. He had great size for a guard and great talent, but his heart and toughness are what made him a special player and my all time favorite Zag. He's a former player in particular whom I hope can go to the Final Four in person and root these guys on to victory. Wonder if a bunch of former players will be in attendance. Hope so.

I named a son after Blake, which I figure is a decent compliment. Loved the guy.

hockeyzag
03-29-2017, 07:09 AM
JP Batista. Averaged a double double and is still my favorite player to this day. But most importantly he is a kind human being.

OZZY
03-29-2017, 01:04 PM
I could be wrong because I scrolled through the posts pretty quickly, but if I'm right...4 pages without reference to one of the greats: Kevin Pangos !!! Ran the team that Got zags back to the E8. One of the nicest guys ever. And responsible for a great quote: 'shoot when you're hot, shoot to get hot'

KP is toiling away for Zalgris right now (if getting paid handsomely for doing something you love is toiling...) but I'm sure he is keeping track of the Zags from afar.

NumberCruncher
03-29-2017, 01:35 PM
The first time I saw the Zags on TV was back in the 90s, and I was most impressed by John Rillie.

Recently, team Kyle (Wiltjer and Dranginis) stand out for me.

FroZAG
03-29-2017, 05:29 PM
I've got to pick 3.

1) Eric McClellan
Sabonis and Wiltjer were who they were, and fantastic. But FOR SURE we would have lost the ncaa tourney streak if it were not for the play of one Eric McClellan down the stretch of the last 6 or 7 games. Especially the WCC tournament. Without the clutch play of Emac we are talking about a New streak. Took over games in stretches, hit clutch jumpers, timely needed buckets, free throws.....Won games for us.
Also I'll add, every player grows up during their playing years. And following the progression of Emac from early college all the way to where he is....has been my favorite of any GU player or college athlete.

2) I purchased an English Bulldog pup and wanted to name him Pargo. But he would Not answer to me calling him Pargo. So days later with the same result, I resorted to calling out names of current (at the time) Zags players.... as soon as I called Edi! his ears perked up and he came running right over! My pup essentially named himself, Edi.

Guy Landry Edi - International multi-sport star.

3) Mike Nilson
One of the best defensive players in GU history. Was one of the building blocks of the GU DNA. And led our mid-90's NBC Camp tour team to a 27-1 overall record while setting a great example for the younger guys.

rennis
03-29-2017, 05:51 PM
I

3) Mike Nilson
One of the best defensive players in GU history. Was one of the building blocks of the GU DNA. And led our mid-90's NBC Camp tour team to a 27-1 overall record while setting a great example for the younger guys.

And a huge Pearl Jam fan which makes him one of the most important players ever in the history of GU just on that fact alone.

Lurknomore
03-29-2017, 06:25 PM
Can't forget Wiltjer, came here and sat out that year and really helped the two years he was here. Loved watching him shoot the three and teaming with Sabonis last year. Represents GU well in the NBA.

Zagdawg
03-29-2017, 06:50 PM
This may be in here somewhere already -- but making sure.

NBA's Gonzaga alumni react to Final Four berth on social media

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/QTP_170325SocialReactionGonzagaFinalFour/nba-gonzaga-bulldogs-alumni-react-final-four-berth-social-media

RenoZag
03-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Byron Wesley

RenoZag
03-30-2017, 03:30 PM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x375/RenoZag/Few%20PangosWilt_zpsjlrjdxco.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/RenoZag/media/Few%20PangosWilt_zpsjlrjdxco.jpg.html)

ProVeeZag
03-30-2017, 09:00 PM
The first time I saw the Zags on TV was back in the 90s, and I was most impressed by John Rillie.

John Rillie, the "Mad Bomber" from Australia. That kid could knock down treys at night with the lights off!

bigblahla
03-30-2017, 09:15 PM

Can't believe I didn't include Rillie....GU has been part of my life since 68-69, high school rock band played at dorms and in old COG...I didn't become a real Zag fan until Rillie shot the Zags through the WCC tournament and into the Dance..

T-bonedazag
03-31-2017, 12:26 AM
Cool article from The Spokesman about past players and their memories of the tournament:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/30/memory-lane-filled-for-ex-gonzaga-players-assistan/

titopoet
03-31-2017, 07:31 AM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned him yet, and has to be one of the most transformational players in GU's program. Three of the current players named him and his story as to why they came (Nigel, J3 and Collins).

The transformation by Travis Knight of a role player into an All American and NBA lotto pick, Kelly "The Clinic' Olynyk has to be on any list of GU greats who paved the path to the FF and beyond.

The program is now known in BB circle for their player development and his story is front and center.