PDA

View Full Version : Big payday for the WCC

TexasZagFan
03-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Zags max out with 5 units, SMC adds two. WCC picks up $11 million spread over the next six years.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2017, 05:54 PM
That's serious coin!

TexasZagFan
03-25-2017, 05:58 PM
I'll update my spreadsheet at work on Monday. Each team in the WCC may be getting $400K a year for the next four years, after our contributions over the past 3 years.

WBM
03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Zags max out with 5 units, SMC adds two. WCC picks up $11 million spread over the next six years.

What happens when a team maxes out? That team cannot earn any more for their conference? For how long a period?

TexasZagFan
03-25-2017, 06:18 PM
What happens when a team maxes out? That team cannot earn any more for their conference? For how long a period?

A team can earn 5 units in the tournament. No units are awarded for the title game.

Over the past 3 years, Zags have earned 12 units, 4 in 2015, 3 in 2016, and 5 in 2017. At roughly $1.6MM per unit (spread over 6 years), that's nearly $20 MM.

Like I said, I'll update my spreadsheet on Monday, and give my estimated breakouts for the next several years.

zag buddy
03-25-2017, 07:08 PM
St Marys hopefully will invest in a new building. I would be happy for them.

djdallaszag
03-25-2017, 07:31 PM
That's serious coin!

Our league is going to have some amazing water polo teams...

MBAGael
03-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Buddy, we are almost at the $13.6m needed for our gym renovation project.

Texas, what happens when you get to the championship game? Surely there must be some money for you at the very least?

CDC84
03-25-2017, 07:58 PM

Texas, what happens when you get to the championship game? Surely there must be some money for you at the very least?

Hope it happens for you guys. Your excellent program deserves it. And thanks to your guys for challenging us so much since Randy took over. It's made both teams better.

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 08:00 PM

Very glad to hear that - you deserve it.

TexasZagFan
03-25-2017, 09:17 PM

From an article I read, and will post the link to on Monday, I recall that no units are given for the title game.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Here's the article from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-march-madness-basketball-fund/

The article is two years old, but little has changed regarding the WCC, as we well know.

The following is my estimate of the payouts:

2016: (2011-2016) - $6.4 Million
2017: (2012-2017) - $5.9 Million
2018: (2013-2018) - $7.2 Million

Calculations based on payouts year following the tournament. For example, the 2016 payouts were based on units for the 2010 tournament, when SMC went to the S16:

Units earned by school, respectively (GU, BYU, SMC):

2010: 2-0-3
2011: 2-0-0
2012: 2-2-1
2013: 2-0-2
2014: 2-1-0
2015: 4-1-0
2016: 3-0-0
2017: 5-0-2

Total: 22-4-8

ETA: Units are not awarded for the championship game.

gozagswoohoo
03-27-2017, 07:30 AM
I feel like we should have a similar system on the forum.

If a poster posts real good stuff 'x' amount of times in one week (or month, or season or whatever), they should earn monies or something.

willandi
03-27-2017, 08:43 AM

If a poster posts real good stuff 'x' amount of times in one week (or month, or season or whatever), they should earn monies or something.

I must be maxed out, even if no-one agrees! Do you need a mailing address?

U Zig, I Zag
03-27-2017, 08:47 AM
GU be all, 'here WCC, have some cash.'

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5049fdefecad04a361000008/throwing-money.gif

gozagswoohoo
03-27-2017, 08:54 AM
I must be maxed out, even if no-one agrees! Do you need a mailing address?

I need to give mine too. Someone owes me AT LEAST $7.50.

Zagdawg
03-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Whoohoo-- didn't they give you a free trip to Vegas this year?

gozagswoohoo
03-27-2017, 09:57 AM
Whoohoo-- didn't they give you a free trip to Vegas this year?

That's a great point. Let's just say I'm owed $3.19. Not $7.50.

:lmao:

Markburn1
03-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Sorry, Mr. Gael. That gym needs more than a "renovation." Adding a few seats and updating the paint job is not going to make that place any more appealing for high mid-majors or power five conference teams. St. Mary's needs to make a real investment and build a new place.

I have enjoyed attending games there as it is an electrifying place to watch college basketball. Unfortunately, scheduling won't improve without a significant upgrade. Like bulldozing that place and starting over.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 10:11 AM
That's a great point. Let's just say I'm owed $3.19. Not $7.50.

:lmao:

Check's in the mail, woohoo!

MBAGael
03-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Mark, the upgrade has much more to do with the workout facility than the gym. Right now, our athletes are working out in a tent which is on a recently filled up swimming pool.

Also, there is no way to bulldoze our current gym. The costs in our area and permits make it just about impossible. Do you really think p5 teams will start playing us at our place if we have a brand new gym? Please explain how that works because I am curious.

hooter73
03-27-2017, 11:17 AM
If the pansies who schedule for you would commit to home and homes, with a new gym, yeah, power teams would then come in. Right now SMC is hamstringing themselves in getting recruits with the pathetic gym, facilities, and scheduling.

That is an interesting point regarding the overly political and environmental regulations on getting something done though. I never considered that before.

Zagger
03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
I'll bet this week prior to Saturday's game will be the best week for the sales of Zag gear .... for at least this year. I know I'll be headed down to our local GU bookstore. I have no idea what sort of agreement GU has with Nike or other sporting goods outfits - nor do I know any NCAA rules involving that sort of stuff. But, I would guess those sorts of deals are now worth more $. GU may be spreading a bit of cash around the WCC but, IMHO, that helps everyone including GU. It would be interesting to see how SMC's enrollment has changed over the past 3-4 years as they've become better in D1 basketball. Sooner or later they'll have to build a larger gym and/or start having some home games at a larger facility nearby. GU's been on a steady rise since 99-ish. That's almost 20 years. Plus, Spokane is a unique fit for the Zags. We can't really expect another WCC team to match what GU has done - not even very close I'd guess. What GU has done is a sum of a lot of factors.

Markburn1
03-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Mark, the upgrade has much more to do with the workout facility than the gym. Right now, our athletes are working out in a tent which is on a recently filled up swimming pool.

Also, there is no way to bulldoze our current gym. The costs in our area and permits make it just about impossible. Do you really think p5 teams will start playing us at our place if we have a brand new gym? Please explain how that works because I am curious.

Seating capacity is one of the main obstacles. UCLA won't play a home and home with the Gaels because it wouldn't be profitable. Monetarily or otherwise. They don't want to lose money AND possibly get beaten by a team that doesn't help their resume. High mid-majors would be OK with a potential win or loss against a team if they were convinced that the trip would be profitable monetarily. That would only be possible with more seating capacity.

Gonzaga made the commitment to an enlarged arena. That's why high major teams are playing in the Kennel. Not to mention, a loss against a perennial top 15 team doesn't hurt their resume and a win there is seen as BIG.

sittingon50
03-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Hey guys, MBA is a good poster. He & other's have their frustrations too. What say we cut him/them some slack.

sittingon50
03-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Gonzaga made the commitment to an enlarged arena. .

1. At the expense of the baseball team (for a time)
2. Because they were "fortunate" enough to buy some adjoining property (the Post Office terminal). Have not been on SMC's campus but understand they are tremendously limited for space. I think Pepperdine's issues are pretty much the same.

Way different circumstances in Spokane.

MJGoGaels
03-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Here's the article from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-march-madness-basketball-fund/

The article is two years old, but little has changed regarding the WCC, as we well know.

The following is my estimate of the payouts:

2016: (2011-2016) - $6.4 Million
2017: (2012-2017) - $5.9 Million
2018: (2013-2018) - $7.2 Million

Calculations based on payouts year following the tournament. For example, the 2016 payouts were based on units for the 2010 tournament, when SMC went to the S16:

Units earned by school, respectively (GU, BYU, SMC):

2010: 2-0-3
2011: 2-0-0
2012: 2-2-1
2013: 2-0-2
2014: 2-1-0
2015: 4-1-0
2016: 3-0-0
2017: 5-0-2

Total: 22-4-8

ETA: Units are not awarded for the championship game.

Thank you for the tally and tracking. These are the gross numbers. What's the net number to each institution after the WCC Admin takes its cut? And, isn't there a slight additional to participating member?

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Seating capacity is one of the main obstacles. UCLA won't play a home and home with the Gaels because it wouldn't be profitable. Monetarily or otherwise. They don't want to lose money AND possibly get beaten by a team that doesn't help their resume. High mid-majors would be OK with a potential win or loss against a team if they were convinced that the trip would be profitable monetarily. That would only be possible with more seating capacity.

Gonzaga made the commitment to an enlarged arena. That's why high major teams are playing in the Kennel. Not to mention, a loss against a perennial top 15 team doesn't hurt their resume and a win there is seen as BIG.

Just my $.02, but the trend I see is for the good mid-majors to schedule home-and-home series among each other. Zags are an outlier, we have the heft to schedule bigger name schools. The OOC games I've attended over the past several years in Stillwater, Wichita, SMU, Tennessee, Memphis, etc. drew very well in those arenas.

It will be good to see SMC in these preseason tournaments now that the NCAA is off their backs.

SMC is assuredly not the problem with the WCC, but we've beaten that dog.

ETA: Whatever you get from the NCAA tournament money, you won't hear any "suggestions" from me. It's the other schools that have not been competitive that deserve a bit of oversight, IMO.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 12:36 PM
1. At the expense of the baseball team (for a time)
2. Because they were "fortunate" enough to buy some adjoining property (the Post Office terminal). Have not been on SMC's campus but understand they are tremendously limited for space. I think Pepperdine's issues are pretty much the same.

Way different circumstances in Spokane.

Let's face it, we've been extremely fortunate for the generosity of certain alumni and friends of GU, for the construction of the MAC and the practice facility.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Thank you for the tally and tracking. These are the gross numbers. What's the net number to each institution after the WCC Admin takes its cut? And, isn't there a slight additional to participating member?

Don't have a link, but I think that the WCC office takes a share, i.e. there's a share for each team plus the office. I don't know the exact payout, but each team's been getting at least $300K/year from the basketball fund.

We all know that's a lot of money that can be used for a variety of ways to improve a program, be it recruiting/travel, video rooms, etc.

And to think in the days of Fitz, we kept a used car down in SF for recruiting, because it was cheaper than renting a car.

webspinnre
03-27-2017, 01:01 PM
If the pansies who schedule for you would commit to home and homes, with a new gym, yeah, power teams would then come in. Right now SMC is hamstringing themselves in getting recruits with the pathetic gym, facilities, and scheduling.

That is an interesting point regarding the overly political and environmental regulations on getting something done though. I never considered that before.

They've been offering home-and-homes and have been turned down. I believe I've heard that P5 schools have been demanding 2-for-1s.

MBAGael
03-27-2017, 02:26 PM
We were supposed to play at Oregon this year as a one off. They canceled at the last second over the summer. We offered to play at Cal but they won't play us anymore no matter how many times we go there. It's frustrating but the p5 teams want to play games at home where they know they will win. After winning both of our h&h with Stanford, I bet we don't play them again. Lots of mm coaches have been complaining about this very thing. You guys are lucky to already be established.

I think you are correct when you say mid majors need to play each other. We have a home and home with Dayton and western Kentucky. Hopefully we can schedule more of them with Reno, Wichita st, Illinois state, etc.

75Zag
03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
I would like to see all WCC schools have great facilities and arenas, but expecting all schools to copy the GU model is not reasonable. With apologies to the Spokane major-junior hockey team, there are not a lot of options for the winter sports fan in Spokane other than to attend GU games, high school games, or maybe Division II or III games in Cheney, or at Whitworth or wherever. Whereas your average Moraga, CA winter sports fan can choose between a lot of options - not the least of which are the Golden State Warriors, or you could head south to San Jose and watch the Sharks or you can stay closer to home and watch the Cal Bears, or wander down toward the Stanford campus.
GU and Spokane are perfect for each other, but can't be used as a benchmark for other teams in other cities.

Go Bulldogs!

DixieZag
03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
We were supposed to play at Oregon this year as a one off. They canceled at the last second over the summer. We offered to play at Cal but they won't play us anymore no matter how many times we go there. It's frustrating but the p5 teams want to play games at home where they know they will win. After winning both of our h&h with Stanford, I bet we don't play them again. Lots of mm coaches have been complaining about this very thing. You guys are lucky to already be established.

I think you are correct when you say mid majors need to play each other. We have a home and home with Dayton and western Kentucky. Hopefully we can schedule more of them with Reno, Wichita st, Illinois state, etc.

That's a good way to go. So is taking the 2 for 1.

I also think we tend to forget that you've been excluded from the tournaments where you ought to be able to pick up at least 2 quality games right there. I hope you find a great spot in a tournament next year.

Zagdawg
03-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Sorry 75 -- the old there are so many other things to do can only fly so far----- in Seattle they just understand their team isn't all that good --and its not because they no longer have the Sonics that no one goes to see a husky game-- or that everyone is packing out the Sounders/Thunderbirds/Mariners games-- maybe everyone in the Seattle area is busy laying on the beaches and watching Nascar---- or too busy drinking Starbucks.

If your team isn't that good and the college isn't willing to invest some money for solid facilities --chances are they are not going to bring in a bunch of fans (Chicken meet egg).

We had to build it from scratch here in Spokane --- through hard work and blood and tears-- I recall when I could walk into a Zag game at half time and have no issues getting a really good seat ---- and this was before we had the Shock/Empire to peak everyone's interest-- -but things have changed-- I guess losing the Sonics did make the Zags the best basketball in the state.

Gotta come up with a better excuse than people are too busy going to a Warrior game -- it doesn't fly.

zagbeliever
03-27-2017, 03:24 PM

lol

Birddog
03-27-2017, 03:29 PM

Aww come on Woohoo, who you trying to fool. You know as well as I do that that is/was the Bleacher Report Business Plan.

Kemo 1966
03-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Don't have a link, but I think that the WCC office takes a share, i.e. there's a share for each team plus the office. I don't know the exact payout, but each team's been getting at least $300K/year from the basketball fund.

We all know that's a lot of money that can be used for a variety of ways to improve a program, be it recruiting/travel, video rooms, etc.

And to think in the days of Fitz, we kept a used car down in SF for recruiting, because it was cheaper than renting a car.

Hearty THANKS to SMC and ZAG's..... I'm pushing for a 'renovation of Spanos Center' among other things. I believe UOP will be more competitive in the next 3 years.... we are basically starting from scratch as two starters (Seniors) are moving on .... we'll have at least 3 transfers in the line-up next year! (Small from Oregon being one) .......

This is why ACC got 9 entries this year.... IT REALLY IS ALL ABOUT THE PAYOLA TO THE BIG CONFERENCES..... how many ACC teams won in the first 3 days???????? Ha Ha Ha.

GO ZAG's........ I have it Gonzaga 80 S. Carolina 71 .............. 1 down and 1 to GO !

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 04:07 PM
They've been offering home-and-homes and have been turned down. I believe I've heard that P5 schools have been demanding 2-for-1s.

FWIW, UTEP agreed to a 2 for 1 with Georgetown in the mid 80s. The Hoyas decided they'd had enough after UTEP took two out of three.

MBAGael
03-27-2017, 04:35 PM
We are playing in the Wooden Legacy in November.

The raiders are moving to Vegas, hopefully we can pick up some fans from them, lol.

U Zig, I Zag
03-27-2017, 04:40 PM

The raiders are moving to Vegas, hopefully we can pick up some fans from them, lol.

Gonna be lots of guys with no use for their foam spikes, studded belts, etc. Switch your colors to black/white/silver and you got it made.

RenoZag
03-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Better install metal detectors at the entrances.

Zaggin' it
03-27-2017, 04:46 PM
I'll update my spreadsheet at work on Monday. Each team in the WCC may be getting $400K a year for the next four years, after our contributions over the past 3 years.

As discussed before in articles the WCC does not distribute shares like other conferences, instead using the money for league operations.

Alum08
03-27-2017, 05:08 PM
At this point I'm convinced it's Mark's secret goal to raise the WCC from the ashes into something resembling the Big East.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 05:16 PM
As discussed before in articles the WCC does not distribute shares like other conferences, instead using the money for league operations.

Are you saying that none of it is distributed? I can only imagine the furor that would occur if the league office held on to all of it. The Bloomberg article specified each school's share of the basketball fund from 1991 to 2015.

RenoZag
03-27-2017, 08:41 PM

The WCC does distribute NCAA tourney money back to the schools and does keep a chunk for operations, as discussed in this thread:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?59275-West-Coast-Conference-Money-Distribution

It's part of the reason Few sounded off last year on the Selection Show. He said the schools weren't putting the tourney shares money into basketball and his comments after the 2016 bracket was announced were discussed in this thread: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56561-Few-Rips-WCC-s-Cellar-Dwellars&highlight=NCAA+Shares

As this frequently cited Bloomberg Story points out, GU gets back a fraction of what it has earned for the WCC; https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-march-madness-basketball-fund/

TexasZagFan
03-28-2017, 05:09 AM
Thanks Reno!

TexasZagFan
03-28-2017, 05:35 AM
The WCC does distribute NCAA tourney money back to the schools and does keep a chunk for operations, as discussed in this thread:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?59275-West-Coast-Conference-Money-Distribution

It's part of the reason Few sounded off last year on the Selection Show. He said the schools weren't putting the tourney shares money into basketball and his comments after the 2016 bracket was announced were discussed in this thread: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56561-Few-Rips-WCC-s-Cellar-Dwellars&highlight=NCAA+Shares

As this frequently cited Bloomberg Story points out, GU gets back a fraction of what it has earned for the WCC; https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-march-madness-basketball-fund/

I went back to the thread on Few's comments. I waded through most of the 8 pages of posts, and came to the conclusion that little has changed over the past year. Yeah, there was a lot of turnover in coaches, but not much else. IMO, USF and SMC show the most promise, along with Stoudemire at UOP.

I'm sure a collective groan went up the day ground was broken on the Zags' practice facility.

I can hardly imagine what it's like to be a fan/alumnus of the other schools in the WCC. Our success is the result of nearly 20 years of the philosophy engineered by Mark Few, with great moral support from Fr. Bob Spitzer.

former1dog
03-28-2017, 05:37 AM
I went back to the thread on Few's comments. I waded through most of the 8 pages of posts, and came to the conclusion that little has changed over the past year. Yeah, there was a lot of turnover in coaches, but not much else. IMO, USF and SMC show the most promise, along with Stoudemire at UOP.

I'm sure a collective groan went up the day ground was broken on the Zags' practice facility.

I can hardly imagine what it's like to be a fan/alumnus of the other schools in the WCC. Our success is the result of nearly 20 years of the philosophy engineered by Mark Few, with great moral support from Fr. Bob Spitzer.

Lets not forget about Mike Roth, AD, who has been hugely important in this run.

Zagsker
03-28-2017, 06:33 AM
Hey guys, MBA is a good poster. He & other's have their frustrations too. What say we cut him/them some slack.

Huh?

I don't see anything but a good conversation going on

Zagcity
03-28-2017, 06:39 AM

Then maybe they should get a better broadcast system in San Diego. So we can see more of the games down there in the future,:fingergun: instead of a blank screen and then regularly scheduled broadcasting.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Lets not forget about Mike Roth, AD, who has been hugely important in this run.

Good point.

Alum08
03-29-2017, 03:25 PM
I think GU basketball has been getting the short end of the NCAA tourney payout stick for far too long. To be honest, we are a well-funded team and I'm not worried about getting our "fair share" of the money, but I would like to see our success translate into a stronger WCC at the very least. The system we have now just encourages free-loading and there's no reason to expect our competition to improve when those are the parameters they operate under.

What I propose is not a radical change (bottom dwellers will still get propped up by the better schools) and actually incentivizes making it to the tournament. All it would take is promising that the first "unit" earned by any WCC school in the tournament gets to stay with that school. All subsequent units are distributed equally to all schools (as they are now). While I would ideally like to direct that unit at the program that earned it (men's basketball) this slight tweak alone would probably be enough to pique the interest of the accounting departments and is at least one monetary incentive to build a competitive team.

There are other loftier arrangements I've dreamt up (like pooling the units and distributing them based on the conference rankings) but that's probably far too complex for the likes of USD and Pacific to consider. This would actually be a 'fairer' system since good programs don't always make the tournament, but I know the WCC typically views fairness as a double-edged sword.

Why wouldn't some of the more competitive junior coaches use this as a carrot stick for the chance to dramatically improve their programs (or at the very least increase their leverage with the AD)?

Lastly, do you think a FF or NC changes the amount of leverage that Mark Few has to improve the quality of WCC opponents via measures such as these?

RenoZag
03-29-2017, 03:30 PM
It makes too much sense, 08. . .and it doesn't take into account the cream the league office skims off the top for "operations."

Zags_Fanatic
03-29-2017, 04:34 PM
I guess I look at this a bit differently. Any money from the units pales in comparison to the massive amount of exposure, uptick in applications and gifts and contributions to the University. It was estimated that the value of exposure and free advertising to Butler was $450,000,000 and $677,000,000 for George Mason. If those figures even come CLOSE to that that is where the value lies for GU. Split up the tourney revenue, help lift up all of the programs in the conference as it will only help us. The actual return on investment for Gonzaga will be absolutely MASSIVE.

LoveMyZags
03-29-2017, 04:45 PM
I guess I look at this a bit differently. Any money from the units pales in comparison to the massive amount of exposure, uptick in applications and gifts and contributions to the University. It was estimated that the value of exposure and free advertising to Butler was $450,000,000 and $677,000,000 for George Mason. If those figures even come CLOSE to that that is where the value lies for GU. Split up the tourney revenue, help lift up all of the programs in the conference as it will only help us. The actual return on investment for Gonzaga will be absolutely MASSIVE.

I know Villanova's estimated revenue from winning it all was in the billions. Yes, with a B. I just don't recall if it was 2 or 6 and cannot remember where I found that out. But it was discussed in my family with 2 sibs who are Nova-lum's. (We are already booking NYC for the Jimmy V Classic!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75Zag
03-29-2017, 05:29 PM
I did not read all of the prior posts, but are there any conferences where the "earning team" gets a better cut? Seems reasonable that the team(s) actually playing in the NCAA might get an extra share or two as the money is divided among conference members. I suspect the WCC would vote this down 9-1 or 8-2 or 7-3, but I am just curious whether all conferences split the NCAA money based solely on membership.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagdawg
03-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Big East pays the earners more than the non earners -- it varies by conference.

"The NCAA “encourages” conferences — though it's not a requirement — to do as the ACC does and divide basketball fund money equally among its schools. A 2014 Washington Post report found that, in general, "larger conferences split the money evenly among their schools."

"The Big East, however, does not. Though Associate Commissioner John Paquette wouldn't release specifics on how the Big East distributes the money, he said league by-laws "include both a base payout and incentive-based components" for member institutions. In other words, everyone reaps the benefits, but if you earn the money — ahem, Villanova — you get a bigger piece of the pie.

So how big was the Big East pie?

According to ESPN, the 2016 basketball fund pays $1,594,746 per tournament appearance. At that per-game rate, the Big East's minimum payout with five teams in the 2016 tournament was $7,973,730 before the first game tipped off."

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/blog/villanova-s-title-run-likely-helps-earn-creighton-other-big/article_740621c0-fb66-11e5-8d59-63e45bc3b6ca.html

TexasZagFan
03-29-2017, 06:01 PM
Big East pays the earners more than the non earners -- it varies by conference.

"The NCAA “encourages” conferences — though it's not a requirement — to do as the ACC does and divide basketball fund money equally among its schools. A 2014 Washington Post report found that, in general, "larger conferences split the money evenly among their schools."

"The Big East, however, does not. Though Associate Commissioner John Paquette wouldn't release specifics on how the Big East distributes the money, he said league by-laws "include both a base payout and incentive-based components" for member institutions. In other words, everyone reaps the benefits, but if you earn the money — ahem, Villanova — you get a bigger piece of the pie.

So how big was the Big East pie?

According to ESPN, the 2016 basketball fund pays $1,594,746 per tournament appearance. At that per-game rate, the Big East's minimum payout with five teams in the 2016 tournament was $7,973,730 before the first game tipped off."

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/blog/villanova-s-title-run-likely-helps-earn-creighton-other-big/article_740621c0-fb66-11e5-8d59-63e45bc3b6ca.html

Big East can afford to allocate their tournament money differently. The conference gets $40-50 million per year for their TV contract.

willandi
03-29-2017, 07:59 PM
It would be nice if Gonzaga could find some kind of leverage to use on the WCC. The threat of leaving, as has been hashed here ad nauseam, is not taken seriously. If only there was a realistic option.

Zagceo
03-29-2017, 08:17 PM
I know Villanova's estimated revenue from winning it all was in the billions. Yes, with a B. I just don't recall if it was 2 or 6 and cannot remember where I found that out. But it was discussed in my family with 2 sibs who are Nova-lum's. (We are already booking NYC for the Jimmy V Classic!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe up to 1 Billion........

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-villanova-gets-its-moneys-worth-from-basketball/

Birddog
03-30-2017, 04:38 AM
It would be nice if Gonzaga could find some kind of leverage to use on the WCC. The threat of leaving, as has been hashed here ad nauseam, is not taken seriously. If only there was a realistic option.

IMO the best option is now and has been for a long while for the WCC to get better. The veiled threat of leaving may help but it is going to be a slow process. I see improvement coming, esp in the Bay Area schools. If just 2 more schools could better it would help immensely. No reason WCC can't become a regular 2 bid league.