PDA

View Full Version : Transfers!!!

Malastein
03-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Jonathon Williams was MOP!
Nigel Williams-Goss and Jordan Mathews were both all West Regional team!
It's special how each one assessed their previous situations and decided that Gonzaga was the place for them to succeed. Just one more four team tournament left! Let's stay at one loss!

TexasZagFan
03-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Why would Chase Jeter go anyplace else?

thespywhozaggedme
03-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Why would Chase Jeter go anyplace else?

Ugh, not this again. He average 2.2 points per game. Let's just enjoy this year's team please

Malastein
03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Ugh, not this again. He average 2.2 points per game. Let's just enjoy this year's team please

This team is special! These guys transferring in have been special!

fedwayzag
03-26-2017, 12:26 AM
We do not make the final four without the transfers. As Few put it "it is a leap of faith" by them. Sure glad they did.

cjm720
03-26-2017, 07:17 AM

Serious dude? He would be a star in the league after a year of training and playing our way.

Our transfers are the best recruiting tool we have now.

bartruff1
03-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Success breeds success....there are other college players out there with proven ability that want to win and go to the Dance (and the beaches in the WCC)...and play in a true team environment...

This may be the recruiting strategy for the future....Gonzaga may get the pick of the litter in a manner of speaking...

MickMick
03-26-2017, 07:36 AM
Transfer U.

GU has always had success with them, but the climate for players changing scenery within the NCAA has changed dramatically within the past decade.

I think it started with Olynyk staying and redshirting as opposed to transferring out. His resultant transformation gave GU a well earned reputation for player development. Then came Byron Wesley (Pac 12 graduate transfer) and Kyle Wiltjer to help Few to the Elite Eight. Now it seems that JWIII, NWG, and Mathews (Pac 12 graduate transfer) have cemented the concept of GU as a destination for players that want a lasting memory of playing on the big stage.

If GU can swing a couple of high end transfers, a European with NBA potential, and a Burger Boy every two years, they can perpetuate this new plateau indefinately.

Marcus
03-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Chase Jeter also had a significant back injury this year and had a procedure done to help repair a herniated disc. A year off with the Zags staff to work on his game and body and I bet we would see something great.

scott257
03-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Not to sound dumb, but do we (or will we) have any room for transfers if the players that can come back, do?

Zag_Dad
03-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Not to sound dumb, but do we (or will we) have any room for transfers if the players that can come back, do?

Transfers have to sit out a year. I don't think their red shirt year counts against scholarship cap. Couldn't easily find the answer to this on brief internet search. I'll keep looking and report back, unless someone else knows for sure now

ZagaZags
03-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Transfers have to sit out a year. I don't think their red shirt year counts against scholarship cap. Couldn't easily find the answer to this on brief internet search. I'll keep looking and report back, unless someone else knows for sure now

If they are on scholarship during their red shirt year, it counts as 1 of the 13 scholarships allowed.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 12:46 PM

yes, red shirt year counts as a schollie.

whatazag
03-26-2017, 12:46 PM

If a transfer is on scholarship, they count against the cap. We have no space unless NWG and/or Collins go to the NBA this year.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 12:49 PM
If a transfer is on scholarship, they count against the cap. We have no space unless NWG and/or Collins go to the NBA this year.

Or someone transfers out.

scott257
03-26-2017, 02:42 PM

While I would wish them the best if they choose to go, I would rather keep them and not worry about transfers. Go with a bird in hand kind of thinking.

Hoopaholic
03-26-2017, 02:46 PM

This x2 is my guess

Maybe three

ZagaZags
03-26-2017, 04:39 PM
This x2 is my guess

Maybe three

I can't figure out who would be the third. The first two are easy.

Hoopaholic
03-26-2017, 04:55 PM
I can't figure out who would be the third. The first two are easy.

Would not shock me if the following leave for playing time

Alberts
Triano
Edwards

MTZag03
03-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Chase Jeter also had a significant back injury this year and had a procedure done to help repair a herniated disc. A year off with the Zags staff to work on his game and body and I bet we would see something great.

Related note: It's amazing how Karno recovered from his disc injury. A lot of people don't get anywhere near that level of function. I'm not Hugh on Jeter, but the staff could mention Karnos' recovery if they were interested.

cggonzaga
03-26-2017, 05:35 PM
What about the grad transfer from new Mexico? Averaged 19ppg this past season.

Birddog
03-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Would not shock me if the following leave for playing time

Alberts
Triano
Edwards

They have all redshirted and I believe Triano is a walkon. Alberts is a So, Edwards and Triano are Jrs. I'm betting they stay put.

thespywhozaggedme
03-26-2017, 05:43 PM
What about the grad transfer from new Mexico? Averaged 19ppg this past season.

Hmmmm....now you've got me intrigued. Plus Jordan is graduating. He has very good height at 6'4 too. On a side note, I didn't know that he was Mike Browns son.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18961355/elijah-brown-transfer-new-mexico-lobos

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66158/elijah-brown

Sarenyon
03-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Edwards is on schedule to Graduate this year. He would be eligible for a Grad transfer if he wanted it.

MJ777
03-26-2017, 06:32 PM
Edwards is on schedule to Graduate this year. He would be eligible for a Grad transfer if he wanted it.

He seems content to be part of the brotherhood. If he transferred to a Big Sky school he would probably put up decent numbers.

Outraged
03-26-2017, 08:35 PM
I think the pump is so primed that shoving anything else in would just disrupt the flow.

CDC84
03-26-2017, 10:39 PM
You know, some idiot was saying on twitter last night that the only reason why GU made the final four is because they got transfers from schools that they normally couldn't get from an "athleticism" perspective. When someone mentioned Zach Collins, her response was, "from an "athleticism" perspective." As if Collins were a stiff. Tillie is probably the best athlete on the team, and Melson the best leaper of the guards. You never have to worry about a missed layup from him because Silas slams it high up in the air.

former1dog
03-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Transfer U.

GU has always had success with them, but the climate for players changing scenery within the NCAA has changed dramatically within the past decade.

I think it started with Olynyk staying and redshirting as opposed to transferring out. His resultant transformation gave GU a well earned reputation for player development. Then came Byron Wesley (Pac 12 graduate transfer) and Kyle Wiltjer to help Few to the Elite Eight. Now it seems that JWIII, NWG, and Mathews (Pac 12 graduate transfer) have cemented the concept of GU as a destination for players that want a lasting memory of playing on the big stage.

If GU can swing a couple of high end transfers, a European with NBA potential, and a Burger Boy every two years, they can perpetuate this new plateau indefinately.

Due respect, it started with Jeff Brown and then hit overdrive with Dan Dickau and Errol Knight.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2017, 08:44 AM
You know, some idiot was saying on twitter last night that the only reason why GU made the final four is because they got transfers from schools that they normally couldn't get from an "athleticism" perspective. When someone mentioned Zach Collins, her response was, "from an "athleticism" perspective." As if Collins were a stiff. Tillie is probably the best athlete on the team, and Melson the best leaper of the guards. You never have to worry about a missed layup from him because Silas slams it high up in the air.

http://www.muay-thai-guy.com/wp-content/uploads/1910506_815172491835837_1164619264453680694_n.jpg

Zagdawg
03-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Tony Patelis‏ @CollegeHoopNews 10m10 minutes ago

Rice loses star guard Marcus Evans to transfer. Averages 19.9ppg and 42% from 3 last year. Rough. #RiceOwls #Transfer

Bogozags
03-27-2017, 09:58 AM
One thing for sure is that I hope NWG and Zach Collins stay for another year...but then again I wanted KO and DS to stay another year too...so I don't feel good about losing four players of the eight we have...

With Zach Collins starting along side NWG, JWIII, Josh and Melson, we will be an extremely experienced and talented team...but that is the same thing I thought about with KO and DS before they left early...

Fingers are crossed and many prayers are being spoken too!

scrooner
03-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Baylor's Al Freeman (G) to become grad transfer. 9.4 PPG, 38.9% from 3, scored 21 points off the bench in their win over New Mexico State, but then only 4 points in the next two games.

tinfoilzag
03-28-2017, 11:33 AM
It's a rare breed that transfers to GU. Good academic standing and strong character are required.

Minutes are earned, not guaranteed. The competition is stiff so you have to have confidence on the floor while checking your ego the rest of the time. You have to be coachable. The redshirt year is spent working to play not waiting to play.

We'll see a lot of talent transferring but most don't qualify to transfer to GU.

basketballzag
03-28-2017, 11:41 AM
It's a rare breed that transfers to GU. Good academic standing and strong character are required.

Minutes are earned, not guaranteed. The competition is stiff so you have to have confidence on the floor while checking your ego the rest of the time. You have to be coachable. The redshirt year is spent working to play not waiting to play.

We'll see a lot of talent transferring but most don't qualify to transfer to GU.

Completely accurate. For every transfer who Gonzaga accepts another 200 are rejected because those players don't fit the program's team first oriented culture, work ethic, IQ, and have the physical abilities.

kitzbuel
03-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Or they do what Jeremy Jones did and foot their own bill.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 12:11 PM
It goes without saying that Gonzaga has cornered a niche in the transfer market to the point where just about every elite transfer is going to be interested in the Zags. They have a proven track record of success. Look at the 2017 recruiting class:

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2017

Collin Sexton may bolt for the NBA before Gonzaga could ever get their hands on him, but he is just one of many guys who choose a run of the mill BCS basketball program even though they are a top level recruit. Just like JWIII did, who was a top 50 kid just about everywhere. Every class has guys like this, and they end up getting sick of losing and/or not being developed properly. I don't mean to pick on Alabama in particular as Avery Johnson might really get that program going, but you get my point. I could see Gonzaga being able to use this as a regular part of their recruiting strategy....the knowledge that every year JWIII's are to be had.

Obviously, I am also hoping with this final four appearance that the Zags high school recruiting will elevate. I would like to pick off a couple of McDonald's AA's due to this run. If GU somehow wins the whole ball of wax, they REALLY will be in the game with some players they could never touch before.

cggonzaga
03-28-2017, 12:16 PM
One thing for sure is that I hope NWG and Zach Collins stay for another year...but then again I wanted KO and DS to stay another year too...so I don't feel good about losing four players of the eight we have...

With Zach Collins starting along side NWG, JWIII, Josh and Melson, we will be an extremely experienced and talented team...but that is the same thing I thought about with KO and DS before they left early...

Fingers are crossed and many prayers are being spoken too!

Not to mention the bench we'd have. Norvell, Tillie, Rui, Wade, Kispert, Larsen...possibly Davis/grad transfer and Dickerson/grad transfer.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Can't wait to see Norvell's lefty stroke with the 3 line.

seacatfan
03-28-2017, 01:18 PM
Completely accurate. For every transfer who Gonzaga accepts another 200 are rejected because those players don't fit the program's team first oriented culture, work ethic, IQ, and have the physical abilities.

Uh, hyperbole? 200 to 1 ratio? So there are 3 transfers playing for GU this year, that means 600 others tried? There have been a lot of transfers in recent years, but I'll guarantee there weren't 600 transfers in any 1 or 2 year period. And even if there were close to that many, that would mean 100% of them had GU as their top choice?

Rodney Pryor and Damion Lee. There's at least 2 high profile transfers the last 2 years that rejected Gonzaga instead of the other way around.

katman50
03-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Can't wait to see Norvell's lefty stroke with the 3 line.

Both Norvell and Jesse Wade are going to be exciting to watch next year. 3 ball here we come!

zag buddy
03-28-2017, 02:03 PM
I still think Cory Krispert is the cream of the crop.

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Tony Patelis‏ @CollegeHoopNews 10m10 minutes ago

Rice loses star guard Marcus Evans to transfer. Averages 19.9ppg and 42% from 3 last year. Rough. #RiceOwls #Transfer

Hmmm......don't we currently have a player on the roster the transferred from Rice?

Zagdawg
03-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago
Saint Mary's guard Stefan Gonzalez will transfer, per a source.

http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=210386886

ZagaZags
03-28-2017, 08:32 PM

Who the heck is Stefan Gonzalez?

http://www.picgifs.com/reaction-gifs/reaction-gifs/confused/confused035.gif

Idahozag10
03-28-2017, 10:23 PM

stefan is a heck of a shooter. would love to see him in a zag uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZagaZags
03-28-2017, 10:30 PM
stefan is a heck of a shooter. would love to see him in a zag uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/1b2157e533492e78297c16e6cbe1dfceb91d191.gif

ZagaZags
03-29-2017, 02:06 AM
Uh, hyperbole? 200 to 1 ratio? So there are 3 transfers playing for GU this year, that means 600 others tried? There have been a lot of transfers in recent years, but I'll guarantee there weren't 600 transfers in any 1 or 2 year period. And even if there were close to that many, that would mean 100% of them had GU as their top choice?

Rodney Pryor and Damion Lee. There's at least 2 high profile transfers the last 2 years that rejected Gonzaga instead of the other way around.

Still having a tough time after the Arizona loss? First comes denial, then comes anger, the second part of grief.

http://media3.giphy.com/media/icSfwHwd8ykus/giphy.gif

You still have bargaining, depression and acceptance. Good luck with that.