PDA

View Full Version : Want to Crash the Final Four, but That Is Not Enough

TravelinZag
03-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Mark Few deserves to be a Hall of Fame inductee, but the standards keep rising. In this century, all college men's coaching inductees have a national championship or a national coach of the year, and all but one have both.

Not making a Final Four may be a disqualifier, but making one isn't enough any more. Not to worry; Coach Few could have both an NC and National COY in the next couple of weeks!

Go Zags! Final Four, and more!:000tens:

MickMick
03-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Don't help them move the goalposts.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-25-2017, 11:56 AM
The Final Four is the accomplishment. In a one-and-done Tournament, winning a NC is so unlikely. It's altogether possible the Zags never get one. So I think we should treat the Final Four like our Super Bowl. Anything after that is gravy

TravelinZag
03-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Guys, Not moving the goalposts; just telling you where they've been in this century. And not saying making the final Four is not a great achievement, it is. Simply saying that may no longer be enough to get Coach Few into the HOF, or the coaches of Butler, Wichita State or VCU either. Pretty sure the NCAA would make an exception for the "right" coach of a team from a power conference. The dripping sound you hear is sarcasm.

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Seems like these generally occur in stages. We went a long time with "Few 32" and then - as the story goes - Few got himself more directly involved in recruiting and it's damn well shown.

Since then, we're now in our 3rd straight second weekend, we played Duke in E8 - at the time one of two consensus NC contenders, I think we played well, just didn't have the horses to finish. Last year, a talented starting line-up but very short bench played their way into the tournament and likely should have been in the E8 had they been able to finish the last 2 minutes. Amazing victories to get there.

This year, we have the team, back in the E8 - and even though we might be playing the hottest team in the tourney, they aren't UNC, and we've gotten here with duct tape and jedi-mind tricks - not playing well offensively. This would seem the perfect set-up for our guys to see the finish line and heat up the offense, conquering a very big "next step."

Sure, we could go on and win the NC, we have a great first game draw (if we win), but coming up short to UNC or Kansas isn't going to be a failure - just short of the last remaining step, and the trend's our friend.

cjm720
03-25-2017, 12:29 PM
The Final Four is the accomplishment. In a one-and-done Tournament, winning a NC is so unlikely. It's altogether possible the Zags never get one. So I think we should treat the Final Four like our Super Bowl. Anything after that is gravy

Final 4 would b sweet but there's an ultimate goal.

Zag4Hire
03-25-2017, 12:37 PM
C'mon gang. Don't be afraid to let out your inner Alexander, Genghis, or Napoleon. Just like Tommy B said in Major League:

Jake: [stands] Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do.
Roger: What's that?
Jake: Win the whole f****** thing.

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 12:38 PM
C'mon gang. Don't be afraid to let out your inner Alexander, Genghis, or Napoleon. Just like Tommy B said in Major League:

That'd be fine.

CdAZagFan
03-25-2017, 12:41 PM

Agree that a Final Four seems to be the standard most talking heads support in terms of a team's legitimacy. Winning today would go so far in helping GU finally gain some credibility on the national stage and would help get the supposed "monkey" off Few's back. That being said, if this team gets to the final four - there's no reason we can't go all the way. I would love to see a GU-Kansas Championship game - what a great matchup and beating Kansas would be the ultimate win.

TravelinZag
03-25-2017, 03:34 PM
A couple of things are certain. First, in the incredibility improbable possibility that Xavier can overcome a 12 point deficit, GU will not lose the elite eight game to the eventual champion. First, they cannot this defici. Second, there is absolute prohibition to Xavier winning the national championship. None. Zero. Zip. Nil. Great season guys, but you cannot win it all. Maybe next year, but 1,000 to one against it this year. Look at it this way -- at worst you are the second-best Jesuit team in the nation. Not like Georgetown, whose glory days won't return for years.