PDA

View Full Version : IT'S GAMEDAY!!!!!

zagsfanforlife
03-25-2017, 05:03 AM
5:30 am, decked out in layers of Zags gear-- waking the old man up from a deep sleep... its time to go!

Making the 6 hr trek to San Jose-- no tickets in hand... i'll be buying tickets on the way there--

My emotions are so crazy right now. Pumped up, nostalgic... 18 years ago my dad and i were in Phoenix.. i was an 11 year old boy watching a team no one outside of your guys area had ever heard of lose a heartbreaker to Uconn. From that day forward a DIEHARD was born-- and a relationship/bond with my dad grew with a common interest none of us had seen coming. We will be there tonight. And 18 years later-- and rooms full of signed hats, basketballs, pictures, cards,, you name it... we are hoping that it all comes full circle.

A dad and son who have tickets to the Final Four again this year in Phoenix-- the place where it all started, will be screaming on our Zags.

Lets gooo!!!!!! Final Four or Bust!! Cant wait!

Zag4Hire
03-25-2017, 05:05 AM
A good early morning laugh from the Wiki:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/o5vlvhpe710dqjmnyazl.jpg

jazzdelmar
03-25-2017, 05:57 AM
5:30 am, decked out in layers of Zags gear-- waking the old man up from a deep sleep... its time to go!

Making the 6 hr trek to San Jose-- no tickets in hand... i'll be buying tickets on the way there--

My emotions are so crazy right now. Pumped up, nostalgic... 18 years ago my dad and i were in Phoenix.. i was an 11 year old boy watching a team no one outside of your guys area had ever heard of lose a heartbreaker to Uconn. From that day forward a DIEHARD was born-- and a relationship/bond with my dad grew with a common interest none of us had seen coming. We will be there tonight. And 18 years later-- and rooms full of signed hats, basketballs, pictures, cards,, you name it... we are hoping that it all comes full circle.

A dad and son who have tickets to the Final Four again this year in Phoenix-- the place where it all started, will be screaming on our Zags.

A sweet a story as the Zags.

Sarenyon
03-25-2017, 06:13 AM
8 more hours!

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 06:27 AM
So many mixed feelings.

Really, today and this game, have been the focus of the entire season, since the first practice (the undefeated thing never came close to this importance). But, as strongly as the guys focused, there was never any damn guarantee of even getting to this game. They had to unleash some dark arts to win against WVU.

But, we are here, and it wasn't a given - especially this program. And, we're not playing Duke or Connecticut. I'm not cutting Xavier, but I think it's safe to say that we are not playing the heavy favorite to win the national championship in our elite 8 game - first time. We certainly don't have the type of easier 1 seed versus 11 one might first suspect. It looks more like a "pick 'em" game.

And I'm not sure why we're favored, or why I see it as a "pick 'em" b/c on one side of the ball, we're playing about as miserably as we have all year. We're here b/c we got a good draw as a one, and played defense so far and away our best that it even overcame our wretched offense.

So, I look at the vista and think "This team has defined itself with this all year - and now it's 40 mins away and UNC isn't standing in the way. They win." And then I remember that we can't hit a basket and I worry that a team that actually IS on fire and has been destroying much better teams than we've played, will simply mow us down as their next victim.

I know we won't win if our offense is more division one football, ball into the inside, one of the bigs is tackled as he starts a shot, hits one FT - that's the offense. That won't work. We need ball movement, cutters against the zone, and damn it, someone needs to hit some 3s over that gimmick defense.

I'm worried, but if forced to bet, I'd say we win b/c someone will hit those 3s, even if its Collins or Tillie.

Reborn
03-25-2017, 06:32 AM

Have a great time with your dad. I feel your love. My two sons will be here watching the game with me. It's been a yearly thing for many years now. And, you are so right. There's nothing like the love between a father and his sons. I'm very blessed.

Yes! It's GAME DAY. And it's the best day of the week. And this is a special one. We've waited for this day for a long, long, time. I have two songs playing in my mind this morning. "Break on through to the other side". And "There'll be dancing in the streets." The sky is blue. And that's good too. It's a beautiful day. I feel you ZagNation. We are ready. A note to our players, we are the wind beneath your wings. Go do this now. Good luck!!!

For some crazy reason I'm already dancing. Smiling brightly....Feeling high. feel like flying....

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
03-25-2017, 06:34 AM
Cheer up Dixie. Enjoy the roller coaster ride. Put your trust in the Zags, a veteran, battle tested juggernaut of a team.

Bills is going to quit shaving tomorrow morning.

Reborn
03-25-2017, 06:41 AM
So many mixed feelings.

Really, today and this game, have been the focus of the entire season, since the first practice (the undefeated thing never came close to this importance). But, as strongly as the guys focused, there was never any damn guarantee of even getting to this game. They had to unleash some dark arts to win against WVU.

But, we are here, and it wasn't a given - especially this program. And, we're not playing Duke or Connecticut. I'm not cutting Xavier, but I think it's safe to say that we are not playing the heavy favorite to win the national championship in our elite 8 game - first time. We certainly don't have the type of easier 1 seed versus 11 one might first suspect. It looks more like a "pick 'em" game.

And I'm not sure why we're favored, or why I see it as a "pick 'em" b/c on one side of the ball, we're playing about as miserably as we have all year. We're here b/c we got a good draw as a one, and played defense so far and away our best that it even overcame our wretched offense.

So, I look at the vista and think "This team has defined itself with this all year - and now it's 40 mins away and UNC isn't standing in the way. They win." And then I remember that we can't hit a basket and I worry that a team that actually IS on fire and has been destroying much better teams than we've played, will simply mow us down as their next victim.

I know we won't win if our offense is more division one football, ball into the inside, one of the bigs is tackled as he starts a shot, hits one FT - that's the offense. That won't work. We need ball movement, cutters against the zone, and damn it, someone needs to hit some 3s over that gimmick defense.

I'm worried, but if forced to bet, I'd say we win b/c someone will hit those 3s, even if its Collins or Tillie.

Relax my friend. Take a deep breath. You are wrong about what you say, but's it's okay 'cause I know you love the Zags from your deepest heart. But the team is playing their best ball right now. You just can't see it, that's all. But they would not be standing at the door of the Final Four fighting with all they have to get through that door finally. Remember one thing as you go through this day. The Zags know how to win. Believe that.

Go Zags!!!

MJ777
03-25-2017, 06:45 AM
That's a great story zagsfanforlife. Enjoy the trip and the game today with your father and hopefully you two will get to see the Zags in Phoenix next week.

rennis
03-25-2017, 06:52 AM
Awesome Zagsfanforlife! Hope this is the best day of your life!!

Hoopaholic
03-25-2017, 07:01 AM
Awesome. Enjoy

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 07:19 AM
Relax my friend. Take a deep breath. You are wrong about what you say, but's it's okay 'cause I know you love the Zags from your deepest heart. But the team is playing their best ball right now. You just can't see it, that's all. But they would not be standing at the door of the Final Four fighting with all they have to get through that door finally. Remember one thing as you go through this day. The Zags know how to win. Believe that.

Go Zags!!!

"Worry" is not necessarily the opposite of relaxed. I'm relaxed in terms of thinking this team did all it could, carrying a heavy load to get this far.

I don't know how you can come out and state definitively that someone is "wrong" (but thx for making it ok for me, b/c I love the Zags - phew, :) ).

I specifically said that on one side of the ball they were playing miserably. I recognize there are 2 sides of the court and they are spectacular defensively. But, I don't understand how anyone with eyes and basic math ability can't see that we went from a team that had 4 guys averaging over 2 figures, one just a fraction off, had 3 players shooting above 40% from 3, was top 5 in offensive efficiency (we're 30 n0w, right?).

We have little flow, NWG has been abducted, Melson/Perkins do what they can but they aren't draining 3s and driving the lane like they used to - Karno can score when he picks his shots, Collins is the one improving his offensive game.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade, I'm trying to appreciate the real forecast, not the one we want. We are here, one step away, but does anyone think we would be here had we played Maryland, Florida State and Arizona? Be honest, NU came within a blown call to get within 3, and I still can't figure out how we came out ahead of WVU other than being tougher.

I'm going to relax and just hope our team plays well. If they play well and just run into a buzz saw shooting 60% from 3 and running a zone that we can't solve, I'll just tip my cap to the kids and say "Well done! A very special season." If we win - ok, that's alright, too. I just wish we were playing our best ball. But, there's time. I believe they can have something very special in reserve for today.

raise the zag
03-25-2017, 07:38 AM
"Worry" is not necessarily the opposite of relaxed. I'm relaxed in terms of thinking this team did all it could, carrying a heavy load to get this far.

I don't know how you can come out and state definitively that someone is "wrong" (but thx for making it ok for me, b/c I love the Zags - phew, :) ).

I specifically said that on one side of the ball they were playing miserably. I recognize there are 2 sides of the court and they are spectacular defensively. But, I don't understand how anyone with eyes and basic math ability can't see that we went from a team that had 4 guys averaging over 2 figures, one just a fraction off, had 3 players shooting above 40% from 3, was top 5 in offensive efficiency (we're 30 n0w, right?).

We have little flow, NWG has been abducted, Melson/Perkins do what they can but they aren't draining 3s and driving the lane like they used to - Karno can score when he picks his shots, Collins is the one improving his offensive game.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade, I'm trying to appreciate the real forecast, not the one we want. We are here, one step away, but does anyone think we would be here had we played Maryland, Florida State and Arizona? Be honest, NU came within a blown call to get within 3, and I still can't figure out how we came out ahead of WVU other than being tougher.

I'm going to relax and just hope our team plays well. If they play well and just run into a buzz saw shooting 60% from 3 and running a zone that we can't solve, I'll just tip my cap to the kids and say "Well done! A very special season." If we win - ok, that's alright, too. I just wish we were playing our best ball. But, there's time. I believe they can have something very special in reserve for today.

Dixie is right.

We don't win without making shots this game. We were snipers all season long, so hopefully it will materialize, shooting is 80% mental, so maybe seeing Jordan's shot go in will get Silas, Perks, and Nigel going.

Xavier runs some M2M, but 90% zone, or zones. Mostly pack it in, but some roaming 2-3 zone, depending on opponent.

No sense in rushing shots as we did vs WVU.

After watching Xavier's game vs Zona live, then re-watching Florida St and Maryland, well, they have been given something.

They are hitting shots literally NO ONE makes. Fade away 3's, Steph Curry deep ones, guarded/contested ones. They just keep finding the net.

Part of the reason is their guards are all above 6'5" (2nd tallest backcourt in College hoops), and another is luck. Arizona defended them pretty darn well, so did Maryland. FSU was a mess, but they are earning those tough shots, so good defense, plus shorter perimeter defense won't be enough today.

We haven't played a team all season with their guard size, not even close. They are like a bunch of Elijah Bryant's from BYU. All 6'6", 210lbs. Our somewhat smallish guards struggled with that kind of size, and defending his shot.

Bottomline, Xavier is a better shooting team than Northwester, SDSU, and West Virginia. The last month of the season they have shot 50% from 3pt, while we have hovered around 25% 3pt.

Again, mental. Also, if you look at our games vs Florida, Arizona, Tennessee, Iowa St, even SMC the first go around, our best shooter -- and leading scorer in 3 of those -- was JOSH PERKINS.

Hey, love he's managing the game well, and his defense is pesky as hell. Also, not turning it over, but it'd sure be nice to see him hit some shots for us again. It'd get the entire team pumped up. He has attempted 2 shots the last 2 games.

NWG is 12-42 FG 27%, 1-8 3pt this Tournament. Same goes to him.

They are all playing great in their own way, as we are winning games, but today is different. We are playing a team that hits shots, and have proven it vs a 6 seed, 3 seed, 2 seed thus far.

Considering their novelty defense, it requires shots to be made. Our bigs, especially Tillie in the middle, Collins on baseline, and Karno eating up space, should do decently well.

The way we busted Iowa St's zone was using Tillie in high low action, or dribble penetration from the FT line. Hope we find a way to utilize him this game as well.

Anyway, shooting is paramount vs Xavier's defense, and their currently high powered/octane shooting offense. Also, gotta guard their lone big guy (6'10"), as he does seem to inspire them on offense. Not a great defender though.

Zag365
03-25-2017, 07:49 AM
So many mixed feelings.

Dixie: You summed up my mindset as well. I think it is realistic to be anxious/concerned. On the one hand, we have the skill and desire to win. If we play to what we are capable of, we win by 8 or 10. On the other hand, I'm anxious because our opponents, starting with the BYU Senior Night game, have been successful in slowing down our offense. We have yet to show in March that we can consistently hit enough outside shots to spread the floor and get comfortable control of tempo against teams that play aggressive defense and pack the middle. I'll feel much better if, at half-time, we are shooting 50% overall and have at least four 3s.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-25-2017, 07:50 AM
I'm treating this like our Super Bowl.

It's SO hard to win a National Championship. 351 teams gunning for it; more than in NFL or NHL or MLB or even college football. I've made my peace with the fact that the Zags might never win it all.

But notice how coaches talk about, "How many final fours you have," not necessarily National Championships. Making the Final Four IS the accomplishment. Today is everything.

Go Zags

Goshzagit
03-25-2017, 07:55 AM
Jim Meehan stated J3 will be assigned to Bluitt, Xavier's leading scorer. He's averaging 25 ppg this NCAA.

Mistake?

While J3 is a very capable defender, Blueitt starts all his moves from 3pt line, occasionally posting up. He drives to the hoop for an acrobatic shot, draws a foul (attempted 20 FT's in NCAA), dishes to Macura for an open 3, or shoots a 3pt shot (11-22 in NCAA so far).

Foul trouble for J3? He's arguably our most important player to keep them off the glass, defending the rim, and scoring inside buckets vs swarming zone.

I'd consider putting Silas Melson on him all game. As in face-guard him. Much better option for making him work hard and can absorb some fouls.

We have to keep J3 on the floor. Coach Few dished out numerous praises for J3's defense and being able to guard any guard, can switch 1-4, etc, but to start the game with him guarding him?

I say J3 should "go at" Bluiett, as he plays the "4 man", but a tough guard for him. He'll be required to play all over the court.

At least it keeps Karno or Collins in the middle I suppose.

Xavier will play small, which worked wonders vs Arizona. They ran circles around Markannen.

I just feel uneasy about this assignment. Thoughts?

Zag365
03-25-2017, 08:15 AM
Jim Meehan stated J3 will be assigned to Bluitt, Xavier's leading scorer. He's averaging 25 ppg this NCAA.

Mistake?

While J3 is a very capable defender, Blueitt starts all his moves from 3pt line, occasionally posting up. He drives to the hoop for an acrobatic shot, draws a foul (attempted 20 FT's in NCAA), dishes to Macura for an open 3, or shoots a 3pt shot (11-22 in NCAA so far).

Foul trouble for J3? He's arguably our most important player to keep them off the glass, defending the rim, and scoring inside buckets vs swarming zone.

I'd consider putting Silas Melson on him all game. As in face-guard him. Much better option for making him work hard and can absorb some fouls.

We have to keep J3 on the floor. Coach Few dished out numerous praises for J3's defense and being able to guard any guard, can switch 1-4, etc, but to start the game with him guarding him?

I say J3 should "go at" Bluiett, as he plays the "4 man", but a tough guard for him. He'll be required to play all over the court.

Xavier will play small, which worked wonders vs Arizona. They ran circles around Markannen.

First of all, we have to see if Meehan's report turns out to be accurate. Assuming it is, I'm sure the coaches have in mind everything you've said. If JWIII on Blueitt isn't working or JWIII picks up two quick fouls, I'm sure there is a Plan B (Melson). Everyone knows this game is for all the marbles and that in game adjustments will happen as needed. The plan will be to go with what is working, not with forcing players to "learn from failure" in pre-assigned roles.

MontanaCoyote
03-25-2017, 08:33 AM

Hallelujah!..........It's STILLLLLL Game Day!!!!

CdAZagFan
03-25-2017, 08:41 AM
I think I'm with Dixie and others above... I'm cautiously optimistic - and it has everything to do with the way they've been shooting the ball from outside. If this team could get hot again from outside (which opens up the inside), I believe we could win by 20+. If they struggle from the outside, I think it is another slugfest...

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2017, 08:46 AM
Confident with our experience and talent.

But nervous as hell. Anticipation.

gonstu
03-25-2017, 08:58 AM

Mistake?

Only mistake is leaking that info! What the hell! Why would coaches let that info out and tip their hand to xavier...makes no sense to me. Unless this is part of a master plan...

GO ZAGS!

Zagger
03-25-2017, 09:14 AM
Beat X!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatX.png

jim77
03-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Great story ZFL.

Here we stand looking at the promise land from the other side..a place the Zags have been before. Standing in the Zags way is a RED HOT team that to this eye looks as good as any team left. However, after playing a defensive juggernaut like WVU, I think the fellas are ready. I like our BIGS and like our GUARDS...just go out and play ZAG ball and the rest will take care of itself. GO ZAGS!

Zagceo
03-25-2017, 09:33 AM
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/Corey_Olson/IMG_5200_zps1fhhh0fp.jpg

wazmix
03-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Already a basket case. Hopefully, my language about the rebounding won't be the same as Thursday night.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3666/33487953132_abd480a58c_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/T2dvLh)17436106_10155903175908272_1629244202066557 98_o (https://flic.kr/p/T2dvLh) by WazMixPix (https://www.flickr.com/photos/wazmix/), on Flickr

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3930/32830663223_2e1540fc25_o.png (https://flic.kr/p/S28JnD)WXYZags-2017-Final-1 (https://flic.kr/p/S28JnD) by WazMixPix (https://www.flickr.com/photos/wazmix/), on Flickr

zagfan24
03-25-2017, 09:42 AM

My favorite ever Zags memories involve games with my dad. Have fun and know that win or lose it will be a priceless memory.

zagbeliever
03-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Yay!!!! Great to know there will be some loud and proud ZAGS there to support our boys. Go ZAGS go!!

Reborn
03-25-2017, 10:25 AM
I think it's a great decision to have JWIII guard Bluett.

rennis
03-25-2017, 10:33 AM
I think it's a great decision to have JWIII guard Bluett.

seems to me it's the obvious call!

Virginia Zags Fan
03-25-2017, 10:38 AM
If Trier makes that three or AZ gets one more basket in the final four minutes, we are having a different discussion. I am as nervous as an alley cat, but I do believe in our guys. I believe somebody is going to step and somehow these guys are going to win this game. Arizona had these guys on the ropes and they did not play their best. The Zags just need to rebound and limit turnovers a bit better and I think they will do it. If they get open looks, they will eventually hit today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zags11
03-25-2017, 10:57 AM
I'm nervous. Like when I play before a game. Then it will go away but I just want to really hear "gonzaga is going to the final 4!"

I'm off to my brothers house to meet up with whole family like we always have.....I'm hoping tomorrow I will check in and we can chat about our 1st Final 4!!!

Hoopaholic
03-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Mistake?

It's jw3 or goss. Jw3 much better suited for this assignment

Tille will get chance as well

Might even see rui in spot minutes

ZagsGoZags
03-25-2017, 01:02 PM
XV will probably pack the paint and dare us to shoot 3's.
Why will that work for us?
Because of the shooting average we have for 3's on the season
48 % Tillie
45% Collins
40% Perkins
39% JWIII
39% Jordan M
37% Melson
35% Goss

What if GU ran set plays for 3 attempts, so that we could get more than one or two people under the basket looking for the rebound?

ProVeeZag
03-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Well it's 45 minutes before game time. Just told my wife I had to put on my game uniform and get my ankles taped! I'll be ready to go by tipoff!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Nigel Williams-Goss, Jordan Mathews, and JWIII came to Gonzaga to play and win THIS game. Let's do this.

Zagger
03-25-2017, 02:03 PM
I'm glad we're up against another team who's also yet to see a F4 game. This is going to be awesome!

zagsfanforlife
03-25-2017, 05:02 PM
One of the best moments of my young life. Congrats y'all. I just got interviewed by some Spokane news station, but don't live in Spokane. Look for the guy in a goofy sweater who can't contain his excitement. Final four here we come!!!

Reborn
03-25-2017, 07:42 PM
One of the best moments of my young life. Congrats y'all. I just got interviewed by some Spokane news station, but don't live in Spokane. Look for the guy in a goofy sweater who can't contain his excitement. Final four here we come!!!

I'm really happy for you and your dad. Really Happy. Keep us informed about life at the Final Four in Phoenix.

Go Zags!!!