PDA

View Full Version : The pass to Jordan Mathews was TIPPED on the game winner!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
03-24-2017, 02:43 PM
I've been reliving the game winning sequence over and over and over today. The block by Perkins was amazing and I've enjoyed watching that crazy 3 second sequence frame by frame multiple times to understand how that all happened.

But, what I was surprised to see in my re-watching of the highlights many times was that the pass from NWG to Jordan was TIPPED! Makes the concentration and overall making of the shot by Jordan even more impressive in my opinion.

Didn't think that moment could have contained any more magic, did you? The ball could have gone anywhere after it hit the defender's hand! But somehow it still found its way to Mathews, just with a little less juice on it, but just in time for Jordan to get it off before the defender could close out.

My favorite sequence in Gonzaga history. Check it out for yourself. The tip is at the 1:28 mark. You can also watch the Perkins block over and over in this highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6SL88j0y94

CanadianZagsFan
03-24-2017, 02:52 PM
I knew it was tipped on first viewing. I was like, dang not good pass in shooters pocket for Matthews... we going to lose another heartbreaker?? Then, bam!

Reborn
03-24-2017, 03:27 PM
I knew it was tipped on first viewing. I was like, dang not good pass in shooters pocket for Matthews... we going to lose another heartbreaker?? Then, bam!

It may have been tipped but it was not hit by the hand but by the fingers, and look again, the ball got through the defender an hit the target at the knee. For a great shooter with great concentration just hitting the target a bit was enough to hit the inside part of the rim and go through the basket.

CanadianZagsFan
03-24-2017, 03:38 PM
I also should have added: the ball took longer to get there on pulled trigger set shot. That part alone (ball taking longer than anticipated to get there --Goss having to torque his body with tipped pass) could have easily thrown off Matthews set shot rhythm. That was a clutch shot to say the least !

Reborn
03-24-2017, 03:41 PM
I also should have added: the ball took longer to get there on pulled trigger set shot. That part alone (ball taking longer than anticipated to get there --Goss having to torque his body with tipped pass) could have easily thrown off Matthews set shot rhythm. That was a clutch shot to say the least !

And a great job by NWG to find him and get the ball to him. Yes it was a shot for the ages. Not trying to take that away from Mathews.

Go Zags!!!