PDA

View Full Version : Was yesterday's game.....

LeightonZag
03-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Mark Few's best? In my opinion it certainly had to be up there. His defensive gameplay was damn near perfection. The switch to zone to preserve energy and fouls. The 1st half subs of Jeremy and Rui was fantastic foresight. Additionally, I'd have to rewatch but I can't remember one forced turnover off the press inbounds minus a NGW questionable pushoff. Nearly every turnover was relatively unforced. I thought his use of Tillie and JW3 to break the press was a good move as well after watching Burton handle their pressure for Iowa State. Finally, I thought the constant rotations and matchup he created really gave us a distinct advantage. What say you guys?

scott257
03-24-2017, 12:42 PM
It was a great game on many levels. I couldn't help but smile to myself as Few made some great in game adjustments while remembering many negative comments that have been made on this board about his lack of ability to do that. I laughed out loud when I heard that Perkins had just one turnover the entire game and thought that even without scoring, this was huge.....especially after all the digs that have been made about him, then I thought about how blessed we are to have a player like Mathews (aka Big Shot Bob) that the coaches and the team have faith in to take big shots like he did even knowing some people posting here wish he never had that opportunity again. Certainly some of the criticisms made by some on this board have paid off because it seems the team has been paying attention and is working hard to meet everyone's approval.

tinfoilzag
03-24-2017, 12:44 PM
I've been critical of Few's coaching in the past. Especially, changing the team's style and tempo once GU has a lead.

Last night, he had a great plan for dealing with the full court press. We had 16 turnovers against a team that averages 20+ for their opponents. We had 26 fouls called against us and no one fouled out.

Gameplan, prep, substitutions, were all well executed. The team held up in the chaos of that game. He's always been a good strategy guy but last night he showed he can be a good X's and O's coach.

Good job Few.

Zagarooskis
03-24-2017, 12:56 PM
It was a great game on many levels. I couldn't help but smile to myself as Few made some great in game adjustments while remembering many negative comments that have been made on this board about his lack of ability to do that. I laughed out loud when I heard that Perkins had just one turnover the entire game and thought that even without scoring, this was huge.....especially after all the digs that have been made about him, then I thought about how blessed we are to have a player like Mathews (aka Big Shot Bob) that the coaches and the team have faith in to take big shots like he did even knowing some people posting here wish he never had that opportunity again. Certainly some of the criticisms made by some on this board have paid off because it seems the team has been paying attention and is working hard to meet everyone's approval.

This. Going with Rui and Jones in the 1st half was a great call IMO. Both held their own and kept our legs fresh

Zag79
03-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Without a doubt. It's the game he's never won to be fair, when all the chips are against a coach making a Final 4 run. It was a masterpiece!

Reborn
03-24-2017, 04:32 PM
I think that tomorrow's game is the "game he's never won." This is the year. Song for tomorrow, "Break on through to the other side," by the Doors.

Goshzagit
03-24-2017, 04:39 PM
He's an elite, terrific coach on many levels.

Quite honestly, he's at his best in tight games or even when we're behind.

A lot of it has to do with his players executing.

He obviously has some work to do when up by 15 or more pts vs legit teams.

Just as he's done with everything & every facet, he'll get there...

CDC84
03-24-2017, 04:45 PM
I didn't like how Gonzaga attacked WVU's press and how GU didn't use the versatile bigs as a pressure release. GU played into their hands. They were sped up most of the game. When they settled down they were fine.

The defensive game plan was top notch. Also keeping his team confident despite the frustration of the press was key.

Funny enough, I think one of Few's best coached games ever was the Ohio State loss to Sully and that bunch. Using Bell to bring the ball up to stop Aaron Craft from disrupting the offense was genius.

cggonzaga
03-24-2017, 04:50 PM
I thought it was Few's best game as well. Especially considering all the rebounds we gave up and despite missing many open shots. Best win in Few's tenure imo.

Zagdawg
03-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Due to the many challenges that WV brought to the table with their defensive pressure -- the counters that Few made were very big and effective.

krozman
03-24-2017, 05:11 PM
I think few is great on the tough games. My biggest beef is what he does with a big lead

jazzdelmar
03-24-2017, 05:29 PM
I didn't like how Gonzaga attacked WVU's press and how GU didn't use the versatile bigs as a pressure release. GU played into their hands. They were sped up most of the game. When they settled down they were fine.

The defensive game plan was top notch. Also keeping his team confident despite the frustration of the press was key.

Funny enough, I think one of Few's best coached games ever was the Ohio State loss to Sully and that bunch. Using Bell to bring the ball up to stop Aaron Craft from disrupting the offense was genius.

You mean overrated Craft who would foul every time he set a pick or dished the ball? That one? Where's A-ron playing now, Macedonia?

ChicagoZag
03-24-2017, 05:36 PM
As an unbiased, basketball loving friend texted last night, "Huggie Bear doesn't get outcoached at the end of games, but he sure did tonight."

Birddog
03-24-2017, 05:43 PM
I first heard Eddie Sutton say it but I'm sure it was around before then; "Coaches get too much credit for wins and they get too much criticism for losses". Players have to make the plays, and last night the Zags stepped up and made the plays! Kudos to coach and team.

ProVeeZag
03-24-2017, 06:00 PM
You mean overrated Craft who would foul every time he set a pick or dished the ball? That one? Where's A-ron playing now, Macedonia?

They grow good nuts there, right? Macedonia nuts?

jayray
03-24-2017, 06:01 PM
If Jeremy and Rui had more playing time throughout the year it would of made more sense. Props to them for making the most of it, don't give credit to Few for that, give it to the players. Few put them in a difficult spot and they stepped up. Give credit where credit is due.

FuManShoes
03-24-2017, 09:40 PM
If Jeremy and Rui had more playing time throughout the year it would of made more sense. Props to them for making the most of it, don't give credit to Few for that, give it to the players. Few put them in a difficult spot and they stepped up. Give credit where credit is due.

They spent all year going up against the no 1 defense in the nation in practice and challenging a top 5-15 offense as a scout unit. I think they've got some experience.

TravelinZag
03-25-2017, 04:36 AM
Mark Few's best? In my opinion it certainly had to be up there. His defensive gameplay was damn near perfection. The switch to zone to preserve energy and fouls. The 1st half subs of Jeremy and Rui was fantastic foresight. Additionally, I'd have to rewatch but I can't remember one forced turnover off the press inbounds minus a NGW questionable pushoff. Nearly every turnover was relatively unforced. I thought his use of Tillie and JW3 to break the press was a good move as well after watching Burton handle their pressure for Iowa State. Finally, I thought the constant rotations and matchup he created really gave us a distinct advantage. What say you guys?

In a word: YES! The coach wannabes and Few critics on this board should assume a very low profile now. Is he perfect? No one is. But in addition to every thing else he does, Mark Few has matched or exceeded great bench coaches all year long. Thanks, Coach!

Go Zags! Win the whole shooting' match!

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 05:53 AM
I don't want to start a whole new thread, put it here. No one's talking about what might have been the most important non-Mathew's play. So heady it escapes notice.

WVU had just hit their 3, to take a 3 point lead with maybe 90 seconds left. It felt like a punch in the gut and everyone on both sides knew it.

Most teams would jet down the floor looking for the 3 ball that would tie it (with maybe 80 seconds left)? Not NWG. He dribbled up to the top of the key and changed his pace toward the FT line in a way that basically guaranteed a foul call (what wasn't a foul?) and NWG just did a little change of pace, got one of his defenders going a little too fast and does a tiny grab - whistle.

NWG sends his 90% FT shooting axle to the line, this time he hits both. We're suddenly down one, not three. Perkins block, outlet, Mathews lets fly. Up 2.

But, without NWG's heady play with lots of time left, Mathew's shot ties it - at best. We don't take the 3 point lead (Melson hits one FT) that becomes WVU's obsession for the last 45 seconds - like a lay-up or FT that doesn't automatically tie it, doesn't count. They had a laser focus on that 3 except they never really got a look at the rim, never mind a good shot. Game over. Lots and lots of luck involved, but NWG's play was intentional and so savvy most people don't even know.

MJ777
03-25-2017, 06:37 AM
Yes, especially if he had an invisible primate on his back.

Stache
03-25-2017, 06:58 AM
"You mean overrated Craft who would foul every time he set a pick or dished the ball? That one? Where's A-ron playing now, Macedonia?" - Jazz

Its a thread complimenting coach few. But, I guess it's somehow nice to know the unrelenting critical comments aren't just for the zags.....

Zaga
03-25-2017, 07:21 AM
They grow good nuts there, right? Macedonia nuts?

Good one PVZ!

bartruff1
03-25-2017, 08:39 AM
Few has coached over 600 games....who could possibly tell if this was his best effort.....if that ball is tipped out of bounds or Mathews misses that shot or WV makes one and Gonzaga loses, some of the fans in here would be calling it his worst game...the same game.

raise the zag
03-25-2017, 08:46 AM

Coach Few said in pre-game, they planned to match their speed and had no problems playing fast and "instinctual".

I thought it was a mistake. Besides some silly TO's via NWG in 2nd half, we handled the press fairly well, by and large.

I mean Baylor had 29 TO's vs them, Kansas had 24, etc. We had 15.

I do agree we rushed it in half-court sets…well…we barely ran sets. When we did it worked, but we kept trying to play off "feel". When we did that, we sucked, unless open floor transition.

Was more than shocking to listen to Coach Few say he had no intention of playing half-court offense or calling plays vs West Va. Isn't that their weakness?

Only teams they lost to were slow tempo teams.

Anyway, we won, so its moot point, but game plan was crap vs that type of defense. However, in game adjustments were pretty great, esp defensively and with lineups.

Props to Coach for mixing it up on the fly.

If we try to run all over the court like a scrimmage vs Xavier, we lose by 20.

Gotta take advantage of set shots (for Perks & NWG), and utilize our size in inside.

We could have found a way to use J3 and Karno WAAYYYYY more than we did vs West Va. They were efficient as hell. Hope we don't make the same mistake vs X.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2017, 08:56 AM
"You mean overrated Craft who would foul every time he set a pick or dished the ball? That one? Where's A-ron playing now, Macedonia?" - Jazz

Its a thread complimenting coach few. But, I guess it's somehow nice to know the unrelenting critical comments aren't just for the zags.....

Ever hear of stream of consciousness?