PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to Xavier

Reborn
03-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Pretty cool that two Catholic schools made it to the Regional Finals. Is Xavier a Jesuit school? This pairing brings up stored hope that maybe we could get into a new conference with the Big East expanding to include Western Catholic school. We can always hope.

My next thought about Xavier is that we can not take them lightly. Erase the #11 that stands for their seed because right now they're a dang good team who just beat the #2 and #3 seeds in the West Region. My hope is that they are a team like Gonzaga last year who had a so so season, and peaked at the end the year and played hot in the tournament. I believe this is going to be another nail-biter to the end so prepare yourself for it. They are a guard oriented team, with guards who are 6'5 and 6'6". These are their top scorers, and Bluett has been a phenom in the tournament, kind of like Carter from WV . Although they did not shoot exceptionally well during the year, they have been shooting well in the tournament from the 3 pt line. I would say the guards get 85% of their scoring, including two guys who come off the bench. They have a very good and deep bench, and so far have scored more points than the Zag bench. Our two freshmen really didn't score much last night and hopefully will tomorrow. We will need more points off the bench.

I'm just letting you all know, that this will be a fight, a battle like last night. These are two tough teams. Prepare for that.

Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Pretty cool that two Catholic schools made it to the Regional Finals. Is Xavier a Jesuit school? This pairing brings up stored hope that maybe we could get into a new conference with the Big East expanding to include Western Catholic school. We can always hope.

My next thought about Xavier is that we can not take them lightly. Erase the #11 that stands for their seed because right now they're a dang good team who just beat the #2 and #3 seeds in the West Region. My hope is that they are a team like Gonzaga last year who had a so so season, and peaked at the end the year and played hot in the tournament. I believe this is going to be another nail-biter to the end so prepare yourself for it. They are a guard oriented team, with guards who are 6'5 and 6'6". These are their top scorers, and Bluett has been a phenom in the tournament, kind of like Carter from WV . Although they did not shoot exceptionally well during the year, they have been shooting well in the tournament from the 3 pt line. I would say the guards get 85% of their scoring, including two guys who come off the bench. They have a very good and deep bench, and so far have scored more points than the Zag bench. Our two freshmen really didn't score much last night and hopefully will tomorrow. We will need more points off the bench.

I'm just letting you all know, that this will be a fight, a battle like last night. These are two tough teams. Prepare for that.

Go Zags!!!

Great day to be a zag

Yes they are Jesuit based

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Go Zags!!!

They've been shooting 5%+ over their season average from 3 point. I think our defense will carry us to a victory tomorrow.

IMO, the first 10 minutes will be important tomorrow. There could be a hangover from last night's game, they may be a step slow.

krozman
03-24-2017, 09:52 AM
I think our defense will be the same (great) and we'll probably hold them 15 points under their average. My only hope is we pull a genuinely decent offensive performance that seals the game early enough for me to not lose any more hair. After WV I should be bald.

Section 116
03-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Interesting note regarding Xavier from the Tuscon.com: Over the last 78 years, there have been more than 624 Sweet 16 games played in the NCAA Tournament. Of those 624 winners, none had more losses than Xavier did entering Thursday’s game. Xavier was 23-13.

xufaninboise
03-24-2017, 10:08 AM
As a lifelong XU fan, I am pretty pumped about this matchup. I have always respected your program as our counterpart in the west. Looking at the potential matchups from here on out, (F4, NC game) this may provide our toughest matchup. XU has won by exploiting every team's weakness. The problem is that the Zags don't have a weakness. Good luck on Saturday. I am so happy either team will get their chance to make it to the F4. We will be guaranteed another Jesuit school in the F4 again this year.

Jstock12
03-24-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm fairly confident this is going to be a W.

SWZag
03-24-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm fairly confident this is going to be a W.
I wish I had your confidence. I would have much preferred Arizona. Xavier has me very nervous.

That being said...Go Zags!!!

Reborn
03-24-2017, 10:22 AM
First of all, I don't agree with what many GU fans posting here are saying about Arizona. Arizona is a GREAT basketball team with a great coach and have done qite well in the NCAA Tournament over the last ten years. Arizona played quite well against Xavier, from my point of view, and had an 8 point lead. Trier was on fire at that point and mostly during the whole second half. And he wanted to take over the game at the end and didn't. He missed 4 straight shots, and his last one was half-way through the rim when it popped out. Arizona's center had 17 points which I imagine was his high for the year. Markkanen hurt them, as he did when the Zags played them earlier in the year. He was 1-6 from behind the 3 point line and 3-9 overall with 9 points. Down the backstretch and heading for home, Arizona (Trier) chose to shoot three's rather than go inside. They were 7-27 from behind the arch for 25% shooting. Live with the 3 and die with the 3. Arizona died with it last night. With a team that big I am surprised how little they go inside. And the best player imo is Allen. That is one tough dude. I was quite happy Arizona lost really. They are more dangerous in my opinion. Arizona may have been underestimating Xavier. Now, because of their victory last night the Zags WILL NOT underestimate them.

Go Zags!!!

Jstock12
03-24-2017, 10:24 AM
I wish I had your confidence. I would have much preferred Arizona. Xavier has me very nervous.

That being said...Go Zags!!!

No disrespect to Xavier, but this game won't be about them. The Zags will either beat XU, or beat themselves.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 10:28 AM
No disrespect to Xavier, but this game won't be about them. The Zags will either win, or beat themselves.

Absolutely agree

seacatfan
03-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Arizona may have been underestimating Xavier.

Maybe some of the players, but I'm certain Coach Miller wasn't. Coach Mack was his top assistant when Miller was at Xavier. I'm sure he has a tremendous amount of respect for his coaching ability. Xavier gave Arizona all it could handle in the Tourney 2 years ago, same scenario where Arizona had a large talent advantage on paper.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 10:51 AM
I think their packline 1-3-1 plays well into our skill set and offensive options as they don't rotate traditional 1-3-1

They keep their big on the back line instead of middle of the 3 defender line. So on block play they have their big on the block requiring the guard double down as the third wing defender cannot leave ballside. This creates the opposite wing required to drop hard cover weakside leaving huge gap for shooter or slashing from weakside and we know Shem passes well to weakside.

This also can lead to effective hi low action that we excel and when ball hi post the corner shots wide open which is Mathews hot zone

Jw3 and Collins/tille should get some offensive rebounds

Mr Vulture
03-24-2017, 10:56 AM
I think this one completely comes down to the Zags gameplan all year. If we play our usual way ondefense, particularly guarding the 3's, and take care of the ball we will win this game going away. If we turn the ball over and Xavier is hitting 3's, all bet's are off. I will say that I believe that we win if we play at our best regardless of what Xavier does.

sittingon50
03-24-2017, 11:20 AM
As a lifelong XU fan, I am pretty pumped about this matchup. I have always respected your program as our counterpart in the west. Looking at the potential matchups from here on out, (F4, NC game) this may provide our toughest matchup. XU has won by exploiting every team's weakness. The problem is that the Zags don't have a weakness. Good luck on Saturday. I am so happy either team will get their chance to make it to the F4. We will be guaranteed another Jesuit school in the F4 again this year.

Thanks xu fan. Your team is playing great. Best of luck on Saturday.

CdAZagFan
03-24-2017, 12:19 PM
I think this one completely comes down to the Zags gameplan all year. If we play our usual way ondefense, particularly guarding the 3's, and take care of the ball we will win this game going away. If we turn the ball over and Xavier is hitting 3's, all bet's are off. I will say that I believe that we win if we play at our best regardless of what Xavier does.

Agreed... I would just like to see GU play two great halves, or at least get back some semblance of the machine we saw working earlier in the season.

Zaga
03-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Agreed... I would just like to see GU play two great halves, or at least get back some semblance of the machine we saw working earlier in the season.

They played two great halves of defense yesterday. Just sayin.....Go Zag's

#runthetable

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Jw3. Or goss on bleuitt?

rawkmandale
03-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Just hit the damn free throws, PLEASE.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2017, 01:37 PM
Let's be honest. Zags haven't come close to putting together a typical game, much less a Moraga, Provo or Orlando type game. Any meaningful return to the mean with respect to shooting percents, turnovers and rebounds will produce a double digit W. The D has been superlative and Few was masterful last night, outcoaching a legend and likely fellow HOFer.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Let's be honest. Zags haven't come close to putting together a typical game, much less a Moraga, Provo or Orlando type game. Any meaningful return to the mean with respect to shooting percents, turnovers and rebounds will produce a double digit W. The D has been superlative and Few was masterful last night, outcoaching a legend and likely fellow HOFer.

Wcc title game?
Honestly, doesn't that speak to the total team effort and abilities...being able to win no matter what is thrown at them, the style and who is on or who is off?

jazzdelmar
03-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Wcc title game?
Honestly, doesn't that speak to the total team effort and abilities...being able to win no matter what is thrown at them, the style and who is on or who is off?

No argument. But maybe 2-3 players did well last night, not great games, while the rest played disappointingly. All I'm saying is that Zags have dodged two bullets that could have easily been fatal.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 01:44 PM
No argument. But maybe 2-3 players did well last night, not great games, while the rest played disappointingly. All I'm saying is that Zags have dodged two bullets that could have easily been fatal.

Fair enough

Question....if they play to full potential can they beat Kansas or NC. I believe they can

jazzdelmar
03-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Fair enough

Question....if they play to full potential can they beat Kansas or NC. I believe they can

Hmmmmmm.....NC yes, KU, hmmmmmm.....

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Hmmmmmm.....NC yes, KU, hmmmmmm.....

Ku. We control paint but their guards absolutely on fire lately

DixieZag
03-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Wcc title game?

Really? Because I had the same thought as Jazz.

We've managed to get as far as we have b/c of insane defense, an insane first half giving us just enough of an edge against NW, an insanely well-timed block and 3pter last night and we're 40 minutes from the final four having played sub-average (for us) basketball, at least on the offensive side of things.

To say otherwise is to have such rose tint in your glasses that you're not seeing what's actually happening.

That's not a put down of the Zags (we know that's not allowed), it takes an amazing team with amazing mental toughness to win despite playing like a bunch of dead dogs.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Really? Because I had the same thought as Jazz.

We've managed to get as far as we have b/c of insane defense, an insane first half giving us just enough of an edge against NW, an insanely well-timed block and 3pter last night and we're 40 minutes from the final four having played sub-average (for us) basketball, at least on the offensive side of things.

To say otherwise is to have such rose tint in your glasses that you're not seeing what's actually happening.

That's not a put down of the Zags (we know that's not allowed), it takes an amazing team with amazing mental toughness to win despite playing like a bunch of dead dogs.

Nice metaphor.

DixieZag
03-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Nice metaphor.

Maybe not so good.

Playing like some Zags that don't have the usual zig in their step?

Playing like a team that can't spell "GU." Though they can definitely spell "D" - which is good.

Playing like a team on a mission and how they drag themselves across the finish line matters not in the least - and that's fine by me. Morrison's team had lots of style points.

kitzbuel
03-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Nice metaphor.

They are not dead, just really sleepy.

You know what they say about sleepy dogs.

Zagger
03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
No disrespect to Xavier, but this game won't be about them. The Zags will either beat XU, or beat themselves.

I agree too .... except the beat themselves part. This Zag bunch is 40 mins away. They didn't fold against WV and with that win as a confidence builder .... the time is ripe for the Zags to put together some of their best games. Look how Williams is playing, Perkins, Tillie, Collins, Melson, Mt. K, Mathews and we know Nigel is going to be involved. I also think that with Few playing both Rui & Jeremy he's putting finishing touches on team building. Wouldn't surprise me if we saw Alberts and Triano with some mins too. Depth, Defense, Determination ..... I don't see how Xavier has a chance.

raise the zag
03-24-2017, 02:19 PM
we know we can play tough defense. we've done it all year long.

but tough D takes energy.

how much do we have left in the tank after yesterday's cage match? not to mention being pressed for 40 mins.

I hope we have some juice left and not running on fumes.

Xavier, especially Macura & Bluitt will take all our man-power and energy to contain.

Xavier has the 2nd tallest backcourt in NCAA hoops.

They rotate 4 guards...all 6'5" and taller, thus our guards will be fighting all game long.

As good as they shoot and score and draw fouls, they aren't the best on-ball defenders. They get beat handidly when not in their traditional zone.

Must take advantage. Need our bigs to play smart, but mean tomorrow. On the boards and in the paint. Fight for position every possession.

EEzag
03-24-2017, 02:28 PM
we know we can play tough defense. we've done it all year long.

but tough D takes energy.

how much do we have left in the tank after yesterday's cage match? not to mention being pressed for 40 mins.

I hope we have some juice left and not running on fumes.

Xavier, especially Macura & Bluitt will take all our man-power and energy to contain.

Xavier has the 2nd tallest backcourt in NCAA hoops.

They rotate 4 guards...all 6'5" and taller, thus our guards will be fighting all game long.

As good as they shoot and score and draw fouls, they aren't the best on-ball defenders. They get beat handidly when not in their traditional zone.

Must take advantage. Need our bigs to play smart, but mean tomorrow. On the boards and in the paint. Fight for position every possession.

Agreed. This game could be won or lost on the glass.

Just make shots. Don't underestimate X. They are really good.

HRZag
03-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Several people have mentioned their concern that we might be gassed after such a tough game against WV.

I would think X played pretty darned hard last night against AZ. That was no cakewalk.

I am pretty sure both teams will be ready to go.

It will be a street fight for sure. Go Zags.

BayAreaZagFan
03-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Met several XU fans at the bar last night before the game. If the rest of the fanbase is anything like them, they're good, fun, respectful, humble people. We decided that both schools' programs are very similar and that we should cheer for each other as long as we're not playing each other. They're like Gonzaga in more ways than one, and the team and their fans deserve more success than they've had. That being said, I hope we send them home disappointed on Saturday.

Reborn
03-24-2017, 03:01 PM
It's really amazing to me how little credit some GU fans here on this forum still won't give the Zags their due. It's all about criticism from some posters here. It's as though some have an inability to have a positive thought about our team. IMO West Virginia is a damn good team, and our boys beat them in probably one of the toughest games the Zags have played in years. And it's still not good enough for some of you because you think you know it all. You think the Zags could have beaten West Virginia by more? I guess you have looked at their schedule. If some of you knew how good West Virginia is you'd be jubilant. West Virginia is a different kind of team. I don't think there's a team quite like them. For one thing they average 81 points a game in an extremely tough conference, and the Zags held them to 58.

Sure William-Goss didn't have his best offensive game, but he also had the best defender in the Big 12 guarding him. Huggins called Carter the best defensive guard he EVER HAS COACHED. That's saying quite a bit to me. Second, Goss's role in this game was not scoring. He was the kind of point guard the Zags needed to control the press and then to dish off with good passes for quick buckets. His role as point guard was to run the Zag offense against a VERY TOUGH half court defense. And as I watched the game over this morning how beautiful Goss handled that pressing defense. Goss was the player who found Mathews in the corner, and delivered a perfect pass to him while dribbling up court full speed and being chased by two WV defender also chasing him at full speed. There was a WV player in the middle of the court who could have knocked that pass away and almost did, but Goss got it past him. Did any of you see that pass. It was a cross court pass made at half court to the corner while dribbling full speed. That pass was as much a part of that play as the made basket. I said all year that Gonzaga was a very good passing team, and they proved that last night, all game long. Very few, if any of our turnovers had to do with bad passes. There is a lot more to basketball than shooting.

What is important I think is winning. It doesn't matter how. A great team finds a way to win, and Gonzaga has done that pretty good this year and they did it again last night. And they've done it in so many different ways. Gonzaga is really a team that you can't really predict how they are going to win, so it must be tough trying to draw up a game plan for them. Dang when I look at the game last night I see 12 players who gave every bit of everything they have to make that victory happen. It wasn't about shooting percentages,it was about doing what they needed to win. It was about Josh Perkins blocking that shot, Goss chasing it down, and doing what he did. It was about Mathews making the shot, but it took those two other players to do what they did to get the win. It was about Melson hitting one free throw to make WV have to shoot a 3. It was about NWG and JWIII stopping Carter on WV's last shot and making him pass at the buzzer. It was about NGW hitting 3-4 free throws in the last two minutes. It was about the Zags shutting down #4 who is a very, very very good shooter and player. He just got that one 3 late in the game. It was about our Freshmen doing what they needed to do. It was about their toughness.

If you need to use the word, "if" to say how they must play in order to win tomorrow, you don't know this Zag team. They will win because this is our 2017 Zag Team, a team like none other. They will win BECAUSE they will do what needs to be done to do that. Somehow they are going to find a way. Trust THAT.

Go Zags!!!

ZagsObserver
03-24-2017, 03:02 PM
I don't think being gassed is an issue. What could be either good news or bad news, however, depending on your perspective, is that GU has not played up to their ability this tournament as a whole. The upside is that if GU turns it on the could be champions. The downside is that they need to right the ship a bit. Some of it is shooting, and in particular, 3pt shooting, which makes everything easier (spreading the floor).

B Wayne
03-24-2017, 03:28 PM
The inflated and arrogant sense of confidence against Xavier by SOME reminds me of many posters before the Wichita State game. In both cases, the smugness is based not on knowledge but rather national notoriety of the program. This is a very good team.