PDA

View Full Version : GU vs Xavier (NCAA E8) - Predictions/What you hope to see

LongIslandZagFan
03-24-2017, 03:59 AM
Survive and advance.... just survive and advance.... thoughts and predictions for tomorrow's game... have at it boys and girls!

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-24-2017, 04:18 AM
If NWG, Perkins, Matthews and Melson can combine to shoot much better than 8/29 than Zags win. Xavier is obviously going to pack the paint and dare Zags' guards to make shots.

I believe Zags will do just that, maybe even in spectacular fashion. Their confidence is soaring and these guys are better shooters than we've seen in the last 6 games or so. Zag guards are due for a big night from 3.

Stache
03-24-2017, 04:21 AM
Zags' offense returns to form against more conventional defense. After commentators asked why Arizona didn't take it inside because it had an advantage, Zags go to the bigs for our inside-outside action. Maybe put one of our mobile bigs on 6'6" Bleuitt?

Zags - 83
X - 74.

FF!

Goshzagit
03-24-2017, 04:59 AM
Xavier will run a 1-3-1 and some pack the middle 2-3 zone vs GU.

They only have 1 guy over 6'8" & 230lbs. He's sound on offense, but not a great defender.

X is known for their zone this season.

Its a touch nut to crack. Expect a similar defense SDSU ran, except with bigger/better athletes.

Xavier's guards go 6'5", 6'6", 6'6". They are solid on the perimeter and all good shooters, esp the last month or so. They help defend the post, and even rebound amongst the trees.

We must make shots. We also need to find a way to take advantage with our bigs.

Karno used to be great in traffic, yet has a torn ligament in his thumb. Gripping the ball isn't his strongsuit right now. We need our guards extending their zone, opening up space for our inside guys to operate.

Given short time to prepare, X will treat us like they did Arizona. Expect a zone for nearly all 40 mins.

I feel it helps BYU & SDSU almost exclusively zoned us, yet still a weakness of our offense.

Xavier is a good team which maximizes its potential on offense & defense. They hit shot after shot, slash with 2 players, & occasionally play inside out. Keep you off balance. They do enough on defense, esp post defense to neutralize an opponents strength.

Florida St was HEAD & SHOULDERS bigger than Xavier. A few 6'10"+ guys. X beat them by 30. They couldn't solve the zone. Nor could they make shots.

If we dont make shots, we go home. Simple as that.

I think we can defend Xavier but their oddly huge guards can shoot, to boot. And score around the rim. They are also their best rebounders.

If we think we are playing an 11 seed Cinderella we will get our assess handled.

Xavier would have been a 4 seed if not for a 6 game losing streak when their starting PG (also 6'5"), was lost for season.

Then March rolled around. They have won 7 of 8 games, only losing to Creighton by 2. All the while, beating Butler, Maryland, Florida St, Arizona. Their zone fooled all of them.

We all seem to be caught up with their seed. Doesnt mean a thing.

Hard to prepare for their length along the perimeter or their swarming zone. If Karno can hold onto the ball vs pesky defenders, J3 can find soft spots & put backs, Collins can find some buckets, & our guards shoot even 30% from 3pt, we should be fine.

Xavier has kinda coasted this Tournamenf. Well rested. Zoned every game too.

I seriously wonder how much we'll have left in the tank on Sat?

Good defense takes a ton of energy. During our 2nd game last wk, we looked tired down the stretch...

Im still exhausted from WVU game, so hope guys can maintain intensity & hustle for 40 mins again

Goshzagit
03-24-2017, 05:06 AM
Zags' offense returns to form against more conventional defense. After commentators asked why Arizona didn't take it inside because it had an advantage, Zags go to the bigs for our inside-outside action. Maybe put one of our mobile bigs on 6'6" Bleuitt?

Zags - 83
X - 74.

FF!

Conventional defense?

Not calling you out or anything, yet have you watched Xavier play this Tourney?

I have to assume not.

Their defense is almost as wacky & non conventional as say, Cuse or West Va....or South Dakota St vs us.

Xavier is a 1 3 1 machine. Also some 2 3 zone. Even known to pack it in.

Gonzaga will have its handa full trying to figure it out.

J3 has been our best zone buster down low all season. He will be key. Karno was until his thumb injury, still an incredible presence, just struggling to grip the ball vs swipes and after rebounds.

Also, our guards must stay aggressive in driving and hitting open looks.

They will get open shots vs their zone, but can they hit them? Mathews is clutch, but not a shooter who can be counted on to go off.

X has went off from deep last 4 or 5 games. Our defense is key. We are conventional but a damn good one at that.

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 05:12 AM
Conventional defense?

Not calling you out or anything, yet have you watched Xavier play this Tourney?

I have to assume not.

Their defense is almost as wacky & non conventional as say, Cuse or West Va....or South Dakota St vs us.

Xavier is a 1 3 1 machine. Also some 2 3 zone. Even known to pack it in.

Gonzaga will have its handa full trying to figure it out.

J3 has been our best zone buster down low all season. He will be key. Karno was until his thumb injury, still an incredible presence, just struggling to grip the ball vs swipes and after rebounds.

Also, our guards must stay aggressive in driving and hitting open looks.

They will get open shots vs their zone, but can they hit them? Mathews is clutch, but not a shooter who can be counted on to go off.

X has went off from deep last 4 or 5 games. Our defense is key. We are conventional but a damn good one at that.

I like our chances if we continue to contest 90%+ of the opponent's shots. Defense wins championships.

Ekrub
03-24-2017, 05:29 AM

They only have 1 guy over 6'8" & 230lbs. He's sound on offense, but not a great defender.

Its a touch nut to crack. Expect a similar defense SDSU ran, except with bigger/better athletes.

Xavier's guards go 6'5", 6'6", 6'6". They are solid on the perimeter and all good shooters, esp the last month or so. They help defend the post, and even rebound amongst the trees.

Karno used to be great in traffic, yet has a torn ligament in his thumb. Gripping the ball isn't his strongsuit right now. We need our guards extending their zone, opening up space for our inside guys to operate.

Given short time to prepare, X will treat us like they did Arizona. Expect a zone for nearly all 40 mins.

I feel it helps BYU & SDSU almost exclusively zoned us, yet still a weakness of our offense.

Xavier is a good team which maximizes its potential on offense & defense. They hit shot after shot, slash with 2 players, & occasionally play inside out. Keep you off balance. They do enough on defense, esp post defense to neutralize an opponents strength.

Florida St was HEAD & SHOULDERS bigger than Xavier. A few 6'10"+ guys. X beat them by 30. They couldn't solve the zone. Nor could they make shots.

I think we can defend Xavier but their oddly huge guards can shoot, to boot. And score around the rim. They are also their best rebounders.

If we think we are playing an 11 seed Cinderella we will get our assess handled.

Xavier would have been a 4 seed if not for a 6 game losing streak when their starting PG (also 6'5"), was lost for season.

Then March rolled around. They have won 7 of 8 games, only losing to Creighton by 2. All the while, beating Butler, Maryland, Florida St, Arizona. Their zone fooled all of them.

Hard to prepare for their length along the perimeter or their swarming zone. If Karno can hold onto the ball vs pesky defenders, J3 can find soft spots & put backs, Collins can find some buckets, & our guards shoot even 30% from 3pt, we should be fine.

Good defense takes a ton of energy. During our 2nd game last wk, we looked tired down the stretch...

Im still exhausted from WVU game, so hope guys can maintain intensity & hustle for 40 mins again

Xavier has looked impressive this whole tournament. I'm expecting as much of a fight as if we played arizona.

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 05:42 AM
Xavier has looked impressive this whole tournament. I'm expecting as much of a fight as if we played arizona.

We should expect nothing less, so much is at stake for both programs, i.e. first trip to the Final Four for both teams is on the line.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-24-2017, 06:07 AM

Thanks for this great post. I know nothing about Xavier this year so appreciate this smart overview. My biggest worry is Zags energy level, particularly after Elite Eight tipoff adrenaline runs its course.

LongIslandZagFan
03-24-2017, 06:14 AM
#27 in Adjusted O and #67 in Adjusted D... going up against #15 and #1 respectively.

Xavier has been on a major run... but think they come down to earth tomorrow. They had since Saturday to prep for Zona... they have 2 days to prep for the Zags. I watched post-game presser by Xavier... their coach literally couldn't even name Zag players properly. He even admitted he knew NOTHING about the Zags Somehow I suspect the Zags have already done some base analysis of Xavier.

Xavier's zone will slow the Zags down... but if Jordan keeps shooting 3s like he has it will open the paint. If that happens, Zach and Shem will have a field day.

Zags - 68
XU - 60

strikenowhere
03-24-2017, 06:20 AM
The Zags WILL NOT be denied...74-64

Tmac5360
03-24-2017, 06:20 AM
While I agree that X has been playing well. They haven't played anybody as good as the Zags. I know everyone wants to be an anylist but this one to me is simple. This team is not going to be denied. They are way more talented than X and they will beat them. Yes they beat three good teams but the Zags will be the best they have played in this tourney. I think it's close for a while but in the end the size will wear them down.

Zags 84

bartruff1
03-24-2017, 06:26 AM
Gonzaga 75-68

77Zag
03-24-2017, 06:29 AM
Zags 82
Musketeers 69

Offense gets off the bus finally and defense remains stellar.

Go Zags - Beat the Musketeers!!

willandi
03-24-2017, 06:31 AM
80-70 Zags.

The X defense WILL be different, but at least it's different from the WV. I expect better flow and continuity from Gonzaga.

Zags11
03-24-2017, 06:42 AM
Survive and advance.... just survive and advance.... thoughts and predictions for tomorrow's game... have at it boys and girls!

I'm worn out.

Zags 78

Xavier 71

"And for gonzaga? Dreams do come true."

Goss 21

stevet75
03-24-2017, 06:45 AM
75 - 70 Zags. Sooner or later our field goal percentage has to start getting back to normal.

raise the zag
03-24-2017, 07:12 AM
#27 in Adjusted O and #67 in Adjusted D... going up against #15 and #1 respectively.

Xavier has been on a major run... but think they come down to earth tomorrow. They had since Saturday to prep for Zona... they have 2 days to prep for the Zags. I watched post-game presser by Xavier... their coach literally couldn't even name Zag players properly. He even admitted he knew NOTHING about the Zags Somehow I suspect the Zags have already done some base analysis of Xavier.

Xavier's zone will slow the Zags down... but if Jordan keeps shooting 3s like he has it will open the paint. If that happens, Zach and Shem will have a field day.

This is a great point.

Although, we know nothing about Xavier either, at least not yet.

I heard their Coach talk about Karnowski and Nigel, although couldn't really pronounce either name.

I'm not sure who is in better position with limited prep time. A team that zones no matter the opponent or team who relies on M2M defense?

If I was a gambler, I'd take the zoning team, as they play the same way no matter the team while our defense has a game plan.

I'm not sure who will come back to earth?

Xavier's out of body 3pt shooting as of late or Zags woeful 3pt shooting as of late?

One will most likely stay the same while the other will normalize. Will it be us or them?

We are a much, MUCH bigger team down low, but they are much MUCH bigger team on perimeter. Our guards will need another tough minded physical performance.

The key to beating Xavier is using size to get rebounds and score inside…and shoot over that tight zone. We either hit some shots at a reasonable level or this incredible opportunity will be wasted.

Xavier is better than 90% of teams in this Tourney and they have proven it. They played chalk and destroyed them all.

strikenowhere
03-24-2017, 07:17 AM
i know people are worried about the 2-3 zone, but it seems that if the Zags can just run the transition game Xavier won't have many opportunities to set it up to begin with. The best part here is that they won't get pressed right off the bat like WV did so there will be some more space to maneuver.

former1dog
03-24-2017, 07:22 AM
Jonathan Williams and Killian Tillie have experience and success against zone defenses and I expect we'll see them busting the Xavier zone. Meanwhile, our guards are big enough to continue to have success against the vaunted big guards of Xavier and don't forget Gonzaga's ability to switch any screen, unlike almost every other team.

Our guys have got this.

I predict that Gonzaga will refind its offensive prowess against Xavier and our defense will remain stout.

Bench gets in at the end of this one.

Gonzaga 83, Xavier 68

bigblahla
03-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Zags 72-67......

Go!! Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
03-24-2017, 12:00 PM
This is a great point..

Hey... a broken clock is right twice a day. :p

Goshzagit
03-24-2017, 12:01 PM
After watching 4 of their games, this Xavier teams reminds me of Iowa St, yet they have a couple 6'9" guys.

They like the 3 ball and aggressive with the ball.

Kinda Iowa St but better patience & discipline with their offense.

They have really great size in backcourt....and it shows. They rebound like big guys. Kinda like a bunch of Nigel's on the glass.

CdAZagFan
03-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Zags 69
Xavier 57

Another slow grind it out game I'm thinking

MontanaCoyote
03-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Thanks for this great post. I know nothing about Xavier this year so appreciate this smart overview. My biggest worry is Zags energy level, particularly after Elite Eight tipoff adrenaline runs its course.

Yes, excellent, informative post. Coach, make sure the boys get their sleep. It's far more important than most people know.

tummydoc
03-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Zags 84 Xavier 72

gueastcoast
03-24-2017, 12:31 PM
75 - 70 Zags. Sooner or later our field goal percentage has to start getting back to normal.

Figured I'd better scan the thread to make sure I was original. Beat me to it, on both points!

MDABE80
03-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Zags by 7. Games getting closer as the opponents get better. At least the guys won't have to contend with a mugging every time they go up and down the court. I still find it hard to believe WVU's tactics are praised.

xufaninboise
03-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Zags by 7. Games getting closer as the opponents get better. At least the guys won't have to contend with a mugging every time they go up and down the court. I still find it hard to believe WVU's tactics are praised.

Welcome to a Bob Huggins coached team. We dealt with that for years when Huggybear coached UC and they played XU in the Crosstown Shootout every year. Good defense is confused for muggings.

rennis
03-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Probably going to see another defensive grind. Our man vs. their zone. I like the Zags in a see-saw affair to pull away late.

GU 69
XU 63

Zagricultural
03-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Think we handle them 75-67. However, if Perkins could play like he did against Iowa State we could blow them out. That being said I would've preferred AZ. Zones are this teams Achilles Heel IMO.

RenoZag
03-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Bulldogs 73
Musketeers 69

Would like to see a pained look on Bill Murray's face. Tears even.

demian
03-24-2017, 01:37 PM
Prediction - Zags 73-70

What I hope to see - make free throws (PLEASE), rebound (PLEASE), make perimeter shots

DixieZag
03-24-2017, 01:44 PM
Match-ups, zones (though the 1-3-1 is about the least desirable match-up I can think of right now, anything that approximates BYU's crap that gives us fits), FT%s, 3 pt %s, size/length .....I just don't see any of it mattering.

If our guys were going to lose, they were going to lose last night. That was one tough mo'fo basketball team they beat last night, legal or not and their backs were ahem, against the wall. Some way, somehow, they won that game (right? They still won, right?) - And now having won that game, and the Final Four 40 minutes away, I don't see how they'll let themselves be denied at this point.

One way, somehow, I don't know if it'll take a Rui 3 pter in overtime, somehow they get this done and win.

Zags 72
St. X 66

23dpg
03-24-2017, 01:45 PM
ZAGS 80
Xavier 69

BayAreaZagFan
03-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Zags 78
Xavier 63

My heart can't take another game like last night's.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Jay Bilas will stop shaving on Sunday morning.

Zags 74
X-Men 68

By Thanksgiving, he'll have a nice middle-schooler's goatee going.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Zags 71
X-men 62

zagamatic
03-24-2017, 08:22 PM
I just have a really good feeling that the Zags are going to be rockin and rollin tomorrow on offense, defense and transition. I'm going with 90-68 Zags

Reborn
03-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Gonzaga 77
Xavier 58

I believe the Zags are going to have their best game of the year. They will be firing on all hinges. They play two complete halves. That totally beautiful victory last night did something that's so good. I can feel it/ We got the monkey off our back, finally. That's what big shots can do. We've waited for this for so long. The Zags will deliver.

Go Zags!!!

MJ777
03-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Zags 79-68

Go Zags!!

ProVeeZag
03-24-2017, 10:31 PM
It's been quite a while since Zags have put together a complete game. And while I'd agree we are overdue for an offensive outburst, I don't think it happens against the X-men. Bulldog "D", however, is up to the test. I expect another grinder-type game, as that's pretty much the only way X has any chance in this one.

ZAGS 70
MUSKET-EARS 59

Hope to see GU with no more than 10 turnovers and 80% team FT shooting. What's that I smell? Oh, yeah, smells like Final Four to me...

maynard g krebs
03-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Zags 73-68.

ZagsGoZags
03-25-2017, 03:03 AM
gu 80

Zagger
03-25-2017, 04:12 AM
I just have a really good feeling that the Zags are going to be rockin and rollin tomorrow on offense, defense and transition. I'm going with 90-68 Zags

I'll raise you 2 ..... 92-70
Zags are due for some steady hoop finding :)

ZagzKrak
03-25-2017, 05:23 AM
Zags 83
XXX 74

Zag4Hire
03-25-2017, 05:48 AM
I gotta tell you. I am a bit nervous about Zags getting back-doored but gotta believe the tough challenge was this past game and if-if-if the stars align, the championship opponent. People have constantly overlooked Xavier and that is a bit of their strength. Gonzaga is a seasoned expert in the same field of study so don't expect any surprises. Also with different set-up, this should free up the games of NWG, Perk, and Karno. Xavier's game is great half-court sets and Blueitt leading the charge. Despite some of Carter's shots for WVU, he was mostly kept in check. Luckily for the Zags all year long, if one or two guys get bottled up, other guys can step up. I think if refs can choke on the whistle a bit and let game open up, Zags should get a number of runs. Worried about a sizable lead at half only to have the mantra of all year long show up: Don't know how to stomp people out. I think this will be the case but still end up in a good margin.

As weather forecasts go in the scoring department, X has been in a range of 73-91 and GU's has been 61-79. I think X comes down quite a bit (I get talking heads just want GU to go away but how can they not talk about their stifling defense) and GU's to go up (relaxed more in the environment this time and more fast break chances to cash in).

As for ATS & O/U, X has covered all games and GU has lost 2 and pushed 1--X has gone O/U/P and GU U/O/U.

Sitting at -8 & 145, it will be a bit tight for spread but believe GU covers here and puts stamp on this region. More worried about O/U but think the O is the play.

Gonzaga 79
Xavier 70

Sarenyon
03-25-2017, 06:43 AM
Really hope to get back on track on offense: As Tommy says in this SR article:
Lloyd said he knows Williams-Goss will get back on track on offense, and he doesn’t have to defend Williams-Goss’ ability to get the shots to fall again. For that, he points to the guard’s stats this year.

“With his shooting, we’re kind of playing the law of averages,” Lloyd said. “We’re waiting for the uptick. And it’s coming.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/24/bulldogs-wont-panic-about-nigel-williams-goss-offe/

I think it happens

GU: 82
X: 71

Zaga
03-25-2017, 07:18 AM
87 - 75 Gonzaga!

#runthetable

Bocco
03-25-2017, 07:46 AM
I want to see the Zag defense that held West Virginia to 58 pts for the game, and Northwestern to 20 pts in the first half ....... what I never want to see again some team roll up 53 pts against the Zags like Northwestern did in the second half of last Saturday's game.

Zags 75
Xavier 61

ZagDaddy
03-25-2017, 07:59 AM
I would expect the Zags to win this but they would have to turn in a complete, 40 minute game. That's something they haven't done thus far in the tourney but their defense has been solid enough to enable them to advance. I said before the tourney that they look like a team that has peaked about six weeks ago and is struggling to stay alive. Nothing I've seen in the tourney has convinced me otherwise (Compare how a teams like Kansas and Kentucky are playing.). If the offense doesn't resurface today, well, it could be a quiet ride home.

Still, I'm going to say the offense returns and Zags win by 10. They're due for a complete game. On to the FF!!!

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Hoping to see the NWG floater.

Perkins contributing to the offense.

Making the FTs.

TOs minimal.

That dominating Zags' D.

cjm720
03-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Our bigs and D are the difference. I think we bust the zone all day, if we can go inside out early.

Zagceo
03-25-2017, 08:35 AM
WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2017, 08:44 AM
Our bigs and D are the difference. I think we bust the zone all day, if we can go inside out early.

And a guard like NWG penetrating and making floaters, drawing fouls and dishing off can damage a zone in a hurry.

hegotit!
03-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Team/season of destiny.
Zags 72
Xav 65

raise the zag
03-25-2017, 08:54 AM
And a guard like NWG penetrating and making floaters, drawing fouls and dishing off can damage a zone in a hurry.

Agree with this, yet Nigel needs to also get back to running the team. Not trying to be the *star*.

I want to his shot fall too, yet he's taken the most attempts of any player (42 shots), and not finding the hoop. Hope he finds his spots and shoots, but not to forget he's floor general as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Perkins take some shots off his hands. They are at their best playing off each other, not just "deferring" to each other. Big difference.

Perkins needs to keep D's honest too.

U Zig, I Zag
03-25-2017, 08:56 AM
Zags have been tempering opponents shooting, which is covering for our pretty awful offense. WVU was playing good O then had their worst offensive game of the year. I think we bring X down to earth a bit. But if the Zags can't him some 3's and bust that zone it's going to be a long day.

raise the zag
03-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Zags have been tempering opponents shooting, which is covering for our pretty awful offense. WVU was playing good O then had their worst offensive game of the year. I think we bring X down to earth a bit. But if the Zags can't him some 3's and bust that zone it's going to be a long day.

So was South Dakota St, until they played us. Or St Marys, until they played us. Or Northwestern for a half, until they played us. Same goes for WVU.

Hope the same will be said following Xavier.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2017, 09:08 AM
... I think we bring X down to earth a bit...

I'm hoping Xavier comes off the cloud and back to earth with their shooting. Maybe, just maybe, they are due to hit the wall.

jim77
03-25-2017, 10:17 AM
I think that defensive lesson we got from the Mountaineers may make the game seem a bit more comfortable.....I think that game will play a bigger role against X than most think. The WVU may very well get an assist for the test they gave us...

Zagdawg
03-25-2017, 10:25 AM
ZagUp Retweeted
Kerry Keating‏Verified account @kerrykeating3 28m28 minutes ago
Kerry Keating Retweeted Kerry Keating
Best of luck to the squad & my friend Donny Daniels. Happy it's here in town and can take the family to see it firsthand. Go get em!

Kerry Keating‏Verified account
@kerrykeating3

As one who battled as hard as possible but also took plenty of beatings at the hands of @ZagMBB, I'm looking forward to witnessing history.

Goshzagit
03-25-2017, 10:35 AM
An AMAZING stat was aired on TV yesterday:

Called "No Open Looks". Referring to our game vs West Virginia.

It displayed % of shots contested by each team, FG's contested, and shots made that weren't contested.

So…

% Contested: Gonzaga contested 90% of WVU's shots; West Va contested 77% of our shots.

Contested FG: West Va was 14-54 on contested shots; Gonzaga was 10-34 on contested shots.

Last but not least, an another crazy stat…

Uncontested FG makes: West Va made 2-6 uncontested shots; Gonzaga made 8-10 uncontested shots.

We contested 90% of their shots! That's incredible.

Screw the people that said, "Sure Gonzaga won, but they looked bad doing it". Looking at you Dan Dakich & Wally Szerbiak

All Weather Fan
03-25-2017, 11:16 AM
The Madness continues for the Zags of GU.
Their 6 game journey is but halfway through.
Our boys are battle tested,
with a full day to get rested
will come out today on cue !
GU - 73
XU - 67

TravelinZag
03-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Keep the defense, especially at the three-point arc. Continue improved handles and rebounds. Find your shooting touch, particularly from the free-throw and three point lines. Play your game and all will be fine.

Zags 74
X's. 59

Go Zags! Banish the monkey! Final Four . . . and more!

Zagnailler
03-25-2017, 11:47 AM
St Francis Xavier: 67
St Aloysius Gonzaga: 76

Zags take the mousecateers!

TheZagPhish
03-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Fluid basketball, torrential scoring, smothering D.

Zag4Hire
03-25-2017, 12:22 PM
FWIW, tracking the X-Board, which has a very similar feel to GUB, I am tracking a 1/6 picking a GU win. Some by superstition and some by logic. I like their board. Rational unlike some of the rest on the Internets.

Dirt McGirt
03-25-2017, 12:31 PM
I'd like to see Karnowski execute a jack knife power bomb on at least one of the Xavier players, perhaps an assistant coach that gets mouthy.

Zag4Hire
03-25-2017, 12:35 PM
I'd like to see Karnowski execute a jack knife power bomb on at least one of the Xavier players, perhaps an assistant coach that gets mouthy.

Thanks for checking in Dirt. Made my day.

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/d74758fb-bd26-460e-8000-a78188f9f64c/f1f053b1-44c9-4539-8f65-5ca42309e308.gif

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 12:36 PM
I think that defensive lesson we got from the Mountaineers may make the game seem a bit more comfortable.....I think that game will play a bigger role against X than most think. The WVU may very well get an assist for the test they gave us...

This is a nice point.

We've been bothered by gimmick zones since Syracuse and the crap BYU threw at us in Provo, the defense we saw last night was just a zoo-break. And yet, our guys won the zoo-break game (and the game at Provo). They have to be feeling a little better about not letting the unconventional pressure defense get to us, having had some success already.

I agree, it likely won't sit in our heads maybe as much s it otherwise might.

Just for giggles, I'd like to see us throw out some aggressive zone and perhaps some press - give a little as we get. Might shake them up a bit.

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 12:37 PM

Well, now we have a sign from above, the stars begin to align. Dirt makes an appearance, sh!t just got real, X is now officially "on notice."

Zag4Hire
03-25-2017, 12:46 PM
This is a nice point.

We've been bothered by gimmick zones since Syracuse and the crap BYU threw at us in Provo, the defense we saw last night was just a zoo-break. And yet, our guys won the zoo-break game (and the game at Provo). They have to be feeling a little better about not letting the unconventional pressure defense get to us, having had some success already.

I agree, it likely won't sit in our heads maybe as much s it otherwise might.

Just for giggles, I'd like to see us throw out some aggressive zone and perhaps some press - give a little as we get. Might shake them up a bit.

The zone strength is contingent on the passivity of the offense. GU is not immune to it but I think the horses down low can even bail them out in the event they have lapse and settle for jumpers. Nothing breaks a zone more than 2nd or even 3rd chance opportunities. I gotta believe Few said for NWG to take it to the tin. The national attention to Mathews' sniper ability has to pull out a zone. Jeez if he makes one early, the zone may fall apart.

I like the defensive set-up but depends on how game is going. If ahead, just stick with it and keep it simple. If close, 3/4 press, 1/2 court trap, just throw off timing. It has worked in recent future but wonder if takes away from defensive mental prowess of team. Best GU M2M defense in history is the key--you can quibble about most other things.

Dirt McGirt
03-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Well, now we have a sign from above, the stars begin to align. Dirt makes an appearance, sh!t just got real, X is now officially "on notice."

I'm heavily considering making the 1 hour drive to watch the Zags win in person.

TheZagPhish
03-25-2017, 12:49 PM

Dirt!

+1

zag67
03-25-2017, 12:52 PM
GU - 80
X. - 67

MBAGael
03-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Zags by 15!

El Zag
03-25-2017, 01:23 PM
X ; no hesitation, no good shots passed up , no taking foot off the gas ... Hope I’m wrong but ..... X 84 Z 65 :(.

spike_jr
03-25-2017, 01:30 PM
79 Zags
71 X

Bogozags
03-25-2017, 01:33 PM
GU 67-63

I am worried about this one...that Zone-D is going to be tough and slow us down...we have to hit some outside shots or this score could easily turn around...

Go Zags!

kitzbuel
03-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Zags - 82

Ex-75

Zag4Hire
03-25-2017, 02:02 PM
X ; no hesitation, no good shots passed up , no taking foot off the gas ... Hope I’m wrong but ..... X 84 Z 65 :(.

So not just X win but a thrashing? I just don't see that.