PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to the TV announcers

CDC84
03-24-2017, 12:22 AM
I mentioned this earlier, but I think Chris Webber is actually pretty good at this gig. He's not great, but he's a heck of a lot better than most color analysts I have encountered this season. He will only get better. Felt the play by play man was decent as well.

What do you all think??

Better than hearing Lappas yapping and yapping and yapping.

Zag79
03-24-2017, 12:32 AM
Two thumbs up, it's fun to hear hoops knowledge instead of jagged opinions all game. What a game to call, they clearly enjoyed it themselves which was a plus!

demian
03-24-2017, 12:36 AM
Agreed. Usually I can't stand Webber as an announcer but he was good tonight. The commentator Brian Anderson (I think that's his name) was good, he didn't have a stupid schtick like a lot of guys, he just called the game. Webber is really improving.

zagsfanforlife
03-24-2017, 12:43 AM
It's 1245 I got one eye open but this has to be a joke right? Webber was AWFUL! Biased.. kept bringing up the WCC being terrible, few not going to
Final four and thought every call should go WVU way. He was on par w Walton. I can't actuallly believe I am reading someone actually liked him.

ProVeeZag
03-24-2017, 12:43 AM
I thought there was too much overpraising of WVU for the 1st 3/4 of the game. That started to even out late in the contest. Webber is okay, but was a bit clueless on the OB call with 1:59 left in the game. He couldn't grasp that the reason the officials were taking so long had nothing to do with Adrian touching the ball or not; that part of the play was obvious. It was the clock issue that was dictating how they made their decision. In a high intensity game like this one, at least the announcers had the sense not to try to sensationalize it. The 10 athletes on the floor took care of that!

caduceus
03-24-2017, 02:26 AM
No way the announcers who got the east coast gigs would have called the game like that (Raftery, etc.). I thought they were awful and WVU-centric.

jpn17
03-24-2017, 02:49 AM
They were ok, but annoying at times like in the 2nd half when Webber went ballistic about a WVU block when JWIII was going for a dunk where the replay clearly showed a ton of body contact.

spud_chance
03-24-2017, 05:13 AM
They were ok, but annoying at times like in the 2nd half when Webber went ballistic about a WVU block when JWIII was going for a dunk where the replay clearly showed a ton of body contact.

Totally agree with this comment as I had exactly the same thought. Clearly JWIII was fouled on that play and they never mentioned that once.

Birddog
03-24-2017, 05:35 AM
It's 1245 I got one eye open but this has to be a joke right? Webber was AWFUL! Biased.. kept bringing up the WCC being terrible, few not going to
Final four and thought every call should go WVU way. He was on par w Walton. I can't actuallly believe I am reading someone actually liked him.

I'm in your camp. Webber was too much like Adrian Branch, he wouldn't shut up and his analysis didn't contribute that much. It was like he was jacking up 3's and missing all night.

MBZags
03-24-2017, 06:35 AM
Webber was atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 06:41 AM
Webber was atrocious.

IMO, Chris Webber has never been a student of the game.

Zag4Hire
03-24-2017, 07:04 AM
IMO, Chris Webber has never been a student of the game.

Or a student for that matter. Could you imagine if Gus Johnson had been on the play-by-play?!! We would have another all-timer:

"Adrian goes up--BLOCKED BY PERKINS! Williams taking up the court, fires a pass, MATHEWS.....WITH THE JUUUUUUUUUMMMMPPER....GOT IT! GON-ZA-GA! TAKES THE LEAD! MATHEWS....GETTING HIS MUG ON NOW!

LongIslandZagFan
03-24-2017, 07:08 AM
My son kept freaking out on Webber and how biased he was. Play by Play was pretty good. I found Webber tolerable when he was being fair... but I am with my son, he spent a bunch of time saying how much better WV was defensively... nevermind the Zags are #1 in adjusted D in the country.

SWZag
03-24-2017, 07:17 AM
It's interesting that everyone has their own opinions on what great announcers are. It makes threads like this kind of pointless, because the opinions are all over the board.

That said, my opinion is that they were very WVU centric for most of the game, but when the announcers are like that, it means a lot of people are like that, and it makes the win that much sweeter. But overall, I thought they did a decent job. If people are never happy with announcers, then, make some change, get yourself in there and get a job doing just that to make it better!

My son kept freaking out on Webber and how biased he was. Play by Play was pretty good. I found Webber tolerable when he was being fair... but I am with my son, he spent a bunch of time saying how much better WV was defensively... nevermind the Zags are #1 in adjusted D in the country.

Hey, did you get to see the game or were you out all night for your daughters 21st?

Reborn
03-24-2017, 07:22 AM
I thought there was too much overpraising of WVU for the 1st 3/4 of the game. That started to even out late in the contest. Webber is okay, but was a bit clueless on the OB call with 1:59 left in the game. He couldn't grasp that the reason the officials were taking so long had nothing to do with Adrian touching the ball or not; that part of the play was obvious. It was the clock issue that was dictating how they made their decision. In a high intensity game like this one, at least the announcers had the sense not to try to sensationalize it. The 10 athletes on the floor took care of that!

This!

LongIslandZagFan
03-24-2017, 07:27 AM
It's interesting that everyone has their own opinions on what great announcers are. It makes threads like this kind of pointless, because the opinions are all over the board.

That said, my opinion is that they were very WVU centric for most of the game, but when the announcers are like that, it means a lot of people are like that, and it makes the win that much sweeter. But overall, I thought they did a decent job. If people are never happy with announcers, then, make some change, get yourself in there and get a job doing just that to make it better!

Hey, did you get to see the game or were you out all night for your daughters 21st?

DVR... finished dinner around 8:15... wife drive my daughter back to school... my son and I bolted back home and fired up the DVR... ended up about 25 minutes behind by the end.

bartruff1
03-24-2017, 07:31 AM
Webber was atrocious.

They both were...

Birddog
03-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Re Webber
He will only get better.

That's for sure, no where to go but up.

The real pros, Raftery for instance, don't feel compelled to be constantly yammering. I wasn't really affected by any seeming team bias, it was the constant vocal assault of Webber that I didn't like. I feel the same about any analyst that does this.

Zags11
03-24-2017, 07:46 AM
I miss Gus.

Birddog
03-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Just in the interest of fairness, Webber referred very positively a couple of times to the interview he had with Karno. He inferred that Karno is a really humorous guy. Was this interview recorded anywhere?

former1dog
03-24-2017, 08:03 AM
For the life of me, I can't really figure out the anti Webber sentiment.

He is in fact fair. Someone mentioned that he said something about our weak conference, etcetera. CONTEXT people. He was parroting the criticism of Gonzaga in order to throw water on it.

I find him to be insightful, knowledgeable and most of all enthusiastic about the game. The enthusiasm comes across as genuine, and for the game of basketball and all the players.

Some complain that he was praising the WVU press too much. Would anyone disagree that it was the story of the game as the game was unfolding? Is he supposed to ignore what's in front of his eyes and talk about something else?

Anyway, I enjoy Webber as a commentator and we have certainly done way, way worse (Lappas, exhibit A).

One last comment on the Williams dunk. In live action, I also thought it was a foul on the WVU defender. But, in replay you can clearly see that the defender jumped straight up with both hands. We all know (or at least should know) that the defender is entitled to the vertical space above him.. Few refers to it frequently in how Shem, Collins and Williams defend. With this in mind, you can see significant contact between Williams and the defender in the forearm area, but to call this a foul ignores two important elements. 1 - The defender was vertical and did not initiate the contact, the contact came as Williams tried to power through and dunk the ball. 2 - The first contact between Williams and the defender was between both of the defenders hands and the ball.

Zagricultural
03-24-2017, 08:33 AM
No way the announcers who got the east coast gigs would have called the game like that (Raftery, etc.). I thought they were awful and WVU-centric.

Yes. Hated them. Talked incessantly about WVU, and almost nothing about Zags.

Ezag
03-24-2017, 08:41 AM
I was mostly annoyed. :vomit-smiley-007:

ZagHouse
03-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Yes. Hated them. Talked incessantly about WVU, and almost nothing about Zags.

I hated them too. Gonzaga was up almost all of the first half and all they were referencing was how unbelievable WV was. It was weird. The ex-player that I enjoy listening to is Reggie Miller. Wish he was calling our games.

EEzag
03-24-2017, 08:47 AM
For the life of me, I can't really figure out the anti Webber sentiment.

He is in fact fair. Someone mentioned that he said something about our weak conference, etcetera. CONTEXT people. He was parroting the criticism of Gonzaga in order to throw water on it.

I find him to be insightful, knowledgeable and most of all enthusiastic about the game. The enthusiasm comes across as genuine, and for the game of basketball and all the players.

Some complain that he was praising the WVU press too much. Would anyone disagree that it was the story of the game as the game was unfolding? Is he supposed to ignore what's in front of his eyes and talk about something else?

Anyway, I enjoy Webber as a commentator and we have certainly done way, way worse (Lappas, exhibit A).

One last comment on the Williams dunk. In live action, I also thought it was a foul on the WVU defender. But, in replay you can clearly see that the defender jumped straight up with both hands. We all know (or at least should know) that the defender is entitled to the vertical space above him.. Few refers to it frequently in how Shem, Collins and Williams defend. With this in mind, you can see significant contact between Williams and the defender in the forearm area, but to call this a foul ignores two important elements. 1 - The defender was vertical and did not initiate the contact, the contact came as Williams tried to power through and dunk the ball. 2 - The first contact between Williams and the defender was between both of the defenders hands and the ball.

Agreed on all points. Webber wasn't that bad. The game was as SVP put it: "a rock fight". Webber called it as he saw it. The awful part of this game was the refs. Zero consistency. No flow. We'd get called for a proximity foul and it seemed like WV could get away with 2nd degree assault. We'd get the instant whistle and it seemed like forever for the calls against them if there was one. Webber and the other guy didn't have a lot to work with. The game was FUGLY.

Vanzagger
03-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Two thumbs up, it's fun to hear hoops knowledge instead of jagged opinions all game. What a game to call, they clearly enjoyed it themselves which was a plus!

What up 79? I always enjoy reading your stuff. Hold onto your hat. Sh!t getting real

PeninsulaDog
03-24-2017, 09:30 AM
I think Anderson needs improvement: He obviously did his homework prior to the game and spent time learning about the players. (Although he botched the bit about Phil Mathews coaching at 'San Francisco U'.) He and Weber were obsessed with what they thought would be the overarching story of the game, namely West Virginia's defense. But they were so committed to that story they seemed to miss the bigger story unfolding right in front of them: That Gonzaga's defense was better. I mean you'd think holding an opponent to less that 27% FG% would get their attention . . .

CDC84
03-24-2017, 09:31 AM
I don't see the connection between Webber and Branch.....at all. Branch might be the worst color analyst in the history of broadcasting. If you think Web was one-sided, listen to the BYU games. Branch was all out BYU homer. He was rooting for them to win.

Zags_Fanatic
03-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Surprised this is so polarizing. I'm all in on Webber, thought he was fantastic. He was really well prepared for the beginning of the game with interesting thoughts on both teams. Once he ran out of talking points it slowed down a bit but overall I thought he was knowledgable, respectful to both sides and brought great energy to the broadcast. Looking forward to hearing them both again on Saturday!

Birddog
03-24-2017, 09:47 AM
I don't see the connection between Webber and Branch.....at all. Branch might be the worst color analyst in the history of broadcasting. If you think Web was one-sided, listen to the BYU games. Branch was all out BYU homer. He was rooting for them to win.

Not in the aspect of homerism, just that both Webber and Branch couldn't stop the constant blathering. Silence is golden even to broadcasters. Both of those guys have "perfected the art" of yammering. They both over used the cliche/crutch "you young players watching.......". Webber would be tolerable if he slowed down, talked less, and avoided preconceived "story lines".

zaguarxj
03-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Did the announcers ever mention that WVU was out of timeouts at the end of the game? That was a huge factor and I didn't hear about it until after the game. Maybe I was just too caught up in the action.

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Did the announcers ever mention that WVU was out of timeouts at the end of the game? That was a huge factor and I didn't hear about it until after the game. Maybe I was just too caught up in the action.

I'd place a big wager that Chris Webber wouldn't mention such a thing. :lmao:

Ezag
03-24-2017, 10:21 AM

Yea they did

Zag79
03-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Emotional people often hear it as if the unbiased announcers are against their team, when in reality both analysts got equally pumped for both teams in big moments. And let's be real, WV was about to beat a 1 seed holding the, under 60... What isn't to be talked about? I've watched the game 4 times now (I watch every game twice), and I didn't hear much favoritism. I think most would agree, watching it without any emotion to the outcome ha ha. Huge win, love the sound bytes down the stretch!

NEC26
03-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Emotional people often hear it as if the unbiased announcers are against their team, when in reality both analysts got equally pumped for both teams in big moments. And let's be real, WV was about to beat a 1 seed holding the, under 60... What isn't to be talked about? I've watched the game 4 times now (I watch every game twice), and I didn't hear much favoritism. I think most would agree, watching it without any emotion to the outcome ha ha. Huge win, love the sound bytes down the stretch!

Agreed, rewatched the game and I don't think they were biased at all.

Zag79
03-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Agreed, rewatched the game and I don't think they were biased at all.

During the game, refs and analysts always seem to be favoring the opposition. Reality usually says otherwise, ha ha.