PDA

View Full Version : Post Game thoughts and feelings. Gonzaga vs West Virginia

Reborn
03-23-2017, 07:49 PM
WOW! Wow! Wow! OMG, what a game. I'm giddy. I don't drink but I sure feel drunk. This is such a great feeling. I got to share it with my son Isaac. He is also giddy. hahahaha hahahahaha :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Gonzaga 61: West Virginia 58. The game went down to the last seconds of the game. I think the score was tied at 58 all when Mathews hit a 3 pointer from the left corner on the baseline...NET. He played great tonight with 4 three's. That was the shot of his life. As you can see by the score it was a tough, low scoring game. West Virginia's defense was great, but Zags had just enough offense to win. Gonzaga missed a lot of free throws again, shooting 21 for 32. West Virginia missed a good share too, canning 21-29. They missed two free throw in a row toward the end of the game which really helped us. It was so cool because it seemed like WV couldn't miss from the line. As it turned out we both made 21 free throws. Kind of cool.

Gonzaga really played tough. Really tough. There were so many fouls called on us. We were in foul trouble all game long, and especially in the first half, but really all game. I can't really say enough about how proud I am of our guys. It kind of looked bleak for a moment as we headed for the end of the game. The WV guy was at the line for two shots and missed them both, and then Mathews hit that three. My son and I went crazy. Absolutely crazy, jumping up and down hugging each other all over and around the living room. That is a great feeling man. Have you ever been that crazy and that happy. I'll shut up and let you all share.

Go Zags!!!

GrizZAG
03-23-2017, 08:01 PM
IMO we just played NBA style athletes that played very tough and we won. They are long, lanky and huge wing spans with speed to boot. Other than Carter they are not impressive offensively. The reffing was just as bad as WCC run of the mill stuff we have seen. This game gives me some optimism about moving to our first FF. To go another notch we definitely have to shoot better however, but man we gutted this one out and I applaud the incredible effort by our team.
We beat the trap and fought a very physical game. Awesome game men.

strikenowhere
03-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Yeah I'm just amazed that they were able to fight through the foul trouble - I was shocked when I saw Rui in the first half and my first inclination was to see if somebody got injured! But what a gritty, grind-it-out game; I'd like to think that would shut the talking heads up about mental & physical toughness now.

CDC84
03-23-2017, 08:10 PM
I can't believe GU won that game. They did EVERYTHING wrong in terms of handling the press. Not just the turnovers, but driving it into hard shots. Zags gave up 20 ORB, committed 16 turnovers, shot poorly, got totally sped up. Still won due to an amazing shot (which deserves a name) and tenacious D in the closing seconds. Check out how Nigel defended every 3 point shot, no matter where it took place on the floor.

I said it earlier and some people felt I was wrong. If West VA had any NBA talent and offensive ability, GU would've been sent home. That press is implemented to cover for the fact that West WA is 138th in effective FG%. I mean they are a great team, but there is a reason why most high major teams don't full court press.

siliconzag
03-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Auguri da Italia a tutti i miei amici Zags.
I couldn't watch it, due to some international restrictions on streaming, but it must have been a thrilling game. Huggins, I repeat, is a superb coach. I agree with the guru above that the Zags were fortunate to survive. Personally rooting for X in the nightcap. Again, Congratulations to Zag fans. Let's try to get past the E8 for once.

krozman
03-23-2017, 08:34 PM
I mean, the pre half court pressure was handled very well by Gonzaga.
The half court defense and offensive boards by WV was by far the more difficult. I think by halftime WV had shot over 10 more shots than GU and we were tied. our defense and grit definitely showed tonight but we have to be thankful that they didn't make the shots they tried. GU's defense had a lot to do with it, but even 35% shooting would have lost the game for us so we should be thankful.

Jordan Mathews had a really rough first half, and nigel just didn't get going at all. JW3 was really the first half star IMO, and the defense and determination was the 2nd half star.

I wouldn't call it a complete game by GU, but it was a consistent effort and in the end you live to play on.

JPtheBeasta
03-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Huggy Bear intimated in the post-game press conference about the so-called "game within the game" in that he realized that the refs were letting them play aggressively (he contrasted this with games where you discover that you have to back off defensively). If this game was called tighter and more evenly the Zags likely win by 10 or more.

I was impressed the so-called defensive team in this match up got worked by the Zags' defense. They should be really proud of that. The turnover battle was pretty even. WV did a good job blocking shots without fouling (I think I might have disagreed with only one or two of those). My biggest complaint was freedom of motion was limited by body contact all game in the back court, but the Zags got nailed several times when it looked like the were playing good position defense in the half court. It was a confusing game to get a feel for Huggy Bear's "game within the game," which seemed a lot like "Let's keep WV close" for much of the game.

raise the zag
03-23-2017, 09:46 PM
can't figure out why we give up so many offensive boards.

any time we've played a P5 team we have given up 16 or more Off rebs.

I realize our defense creates missed shots, but pretty ridiculous.

Even NW was eating up and getting 2nd chances.

Xavier is a terrific shooting team the last month or so…shooting 47% from 3pt with over 75 attempts since March.

We cannot give them 2nd looks. Outside Nigel needing to loosen up on offense, our guys need to box out.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-23-2017, 10:22 PM
If you had told me before the game that NWG, Perkins, ZCollins, and Tillie would make a total of TWO, I said TWO baskets between them...I would have expected a 20 point loss!!

Zags11
03-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Great heart by the team. Great defense at the end by goss. Huge ass shot by Jordan and great block by Perkins. Great coaching few. I thought goss was poor tonight and didn't look right but his defense at the end was lock down.

Stache
03-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Let's enjoy for a few days.
35-1 on the season!
No nasty "it was Coach Few's fault" from (you know who you are)!
No "they can't play in the tournament because they play in a weak league" from (you know who you are)
No claims about players who "choke" from someone who likely couldn't make his high school team (Uzigizag), and
Playing a team for a trip to the final four even though it is not from "the conference of champions." Eat our WCC shorts Bill Walton.
Like I said - let's enjoy.

CDC84
03-23-2017, 10:49 PM
Some BCS snob said on twitter tonight: "I bet if they played in the ACC they would have five or six losses."

Like, duh? And how many does North Carolina have?

CdAZagFan
03-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Gritty win.... I thought we started out aggressive at first and were getting some easy looks at the basket. Then it turned into a grab, slap and slugfest. The guys kept their composure - especially when they went down by 3 late. To win like that without NWG, Perkins, or Collins contributing much offensively was impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagceo
03-23-2017, 11:00 PM
can't figure out why we give up so many offensive boards.

any time we've played a P5 team we have given up 16 or more Off rebs.

I realize our defense creates missed shots, but pretty ridiculous.

Even NW was eating up and getting 2nd chances.

Xavier is a terrific shooting team the last month or so…shooting 47% from 3pt with over 75 attempts since March.

We cannot give them 2nd looks. Outside Nigel needing to loosen up on offense, our guys need to box out.

they just had better hops IMO....the reason Few chose not to foul at the end when up 3...

AZ defense left something to be desired....how many rim ru s did Xavier have? No help defense at all in some cases.

Goshzagit
03-23-2017, 11:03 PM
they just had better hops IMO....the reason Few chose not to foul at the end when up 3...

AZ defense left something to be desired....how many rim ru s did Xavier have? No help defense at all in some cases.

That's arizona bball.

Rarely help defense or double teams.

Zag79
03-23-2017, 11:54 PM
What a huge win, first and foremost. With how that game was played, called, and simply went, Gonzaga basketball took another huge step forward with only its third Elite 8 run. And it happened on what I believe is the second greatest shot in school history behind "the runner". More importantly, they did it during a game that every Zag team before it would've lost. That's no knock on the special teams of lore, but only this team could win scoring a measly 61 while being for 40 minutes. The D, just wow. Sure, the rebounding wasnt solid... But if you have two or three guards down low versus long athletes, that's going to happen all things considered. Many times it was Karno battling two bigs, with Perk, Melson, and NWG. The zone, bad shots, and more contributed to those gross stats more than lack of effort. Kudos to Mark Few for winning a game he never has before, it could be the missing piece to the special and ever so wanted Final 4 run.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-24-2017, 02:42 AM
Great move to protect guys from foul trouble by playing Rui and playing zone. This was a perfect game for Rui to get some run in because there was no setting up the 1/2 court offense and running sets. Just instinctual ball. This experience alone may have made it worth Rui not redshirting. From high school ball in Japan to Sweet 16 prime time game vs probably the physically toughest opponent Zags have played in years if not ever. Young Mr Hachimura may not have stuffed the stat box but he wasn't overwhelmed by the moment and didn't blink. This should give him tons of confidence going forward, not to mention confidence that his coaches and team trust and need him.

Perkins may be my MVP of this game. His block vs Adrien made Zags win possible. He was tough as nails under pressure and didn't have sloppy turnovers. Lot of pressure on him, from WVA and from ZagNation. Way to step up JP. I've a hunch we will see him stroking 3's vs Xavier. Matthews' confidence should be soaring too and I won't be surprised to see him score a lot of point from deep Saturday.

Really impressive win. Great toughness, heart, perseverance. Very curious to know if Zag coaches had pre-planned to play Rui given the frantic style of play they expected (and told him ahead of time to be ready) or if it's just a move the foul trouble forced them to make.

Finally, I was afraid late'ish 2nd half Zags were gonna roll with Collins instead of PK. No offense to ZC, but my thought was PK has a calming influence on his teammates on both ends and, if Zags were gonna lose in PK's final game, I wanted him in there going out swinging (so to speak) rather than sitting.

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Great move to protect guys from foul trouble by playing Rui and playing zone. This was a perfect game for Rui to get some run in because there was no setting up the 1/2 court offense and running sets. Just instinctual ball. This experience alone may have made it worth Rui not redshirting. From high school ball in Japan to Sweet 16 prime time game vs probably the physically toughest opponent Zags have played in years if not ever. Young Mr Hachimura may not have stuffed the stat box but he wasn't overwhelmed by the moment and didn't blink. This should give him tons of confidence going forward, not to mention confidence that his coaches and team trust and need him.

Perkins may be my MVP of this game. His block vs Adrien made Zags win possible. He was tough as nails under pressure and didn't have sloppy turnovers. Lot of pressure on him, from WVA and from ZagNation. Way to step up JP. I've a hunch we will see him stroking 3's vs Xavier. Matthews' confidence should be soaring too and I won't be surprised to see him score a lot of point from deep Saturday.

Really impressive win. Great toughness, heart, perseverance. Very curious to know if Zag coaches had pre-planned to play Rui given the frantic style of play they expected (and told him ahead of time to be ready) or if it's just a move the foul trouble forced them to make.

Finally, I was afraid late'ish 2nd half Zags were gonna roll with Collins instead of PK. No offense to ZC, but my thought was PK has a calming influence on his teammates on both ends and, if Zags were gonna lose in PK's final game, I wanted him in there going out swinging (so to speak) rather than sitting.

Another demon was exorcised last night, i.e. "Zags are soft." Defense carried us, holding the opponent to 27% from the field.

One bets against this team at their peril.

Reborn
03-24-2017, 06:18 AM
Well I'm up early. Can't sleep. My shoulder is kind of killing me this morning after my son beat the heck out of me in our craziness after the final horn went off last night. But it's a good soreness. It makes me feel like I was in the battle last night. Talk about a war. Wow! Gonzaga beat the toughest team in college basketball this year. That's surely something to cheer about. Even though I predicted an eleven pt victory for the Zags, I new better because I did a lot of research on WV. No one beats them by that much. They beat Kanses at home by 16 and lost to them in overtime at Kansas. They beat Iowa St twice, both times by double figures. They beat Baylor by 20+ when Baylor was #1. No. I really knew inside that it was going to be the kind of game it was. I had no idea that we could hold them to 58 points. They averaged 82 points a game and played in a really tough conference. But Gonzaga is one of the best defensive teams in the country and showed it last night. I knew the game was going down to the last seconds.

My mantra this morning for the day is, "We're still standing, man." That was one of the best heavy-weight battles I've seen in basketball. It was a toe-to-toe slug fest. And in the final minutes in was one great shot after another, and finally Jordan Mathews threw the knock-out punch in the last minute of the 12th round. Today, I will celebrate the victory in peace and restfullness as I rebuild my spirit for tomorrows battle. I will wear a soft smile on my face, to express the deep joy I feel. My heart is full of gratitude this morning. Thanks guys, Zags, for what you did last night. You've allowed us here in ZagNation to stand with you all one more night, one more fight.

Go Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
03-24-2017, 06:21 AM
I do have to say it is so funny reading comments on the bottom of game summaries. The flailing the haters go through to justify their misconceptions of the Zags. Best one I read said basically that because the Zags played a 4 seed they haven't played anyone. WV was ranked most of the season, WV beat some highly ranked teams this season, they AREN'T nobodies. I guess it must hurt when realities raindown on your misconceptions.

That was one heck of a game... I'd have been proud of the boys just for putting up the fight that they did... getting the W was just gravy. This team showed their resolve last night. My gut says we see the Zag team that opened a can of whoop-@ss on SMC in the WCC tourney final against Xavier.

krii
03-24-2017, 06:25 AM
Soo how about this 'Karnowski got intimidated by pressure defense' nonsense that was a thing after first two games? ;-)

As I said - he get rid of this cold/flu, and looked much better than in those first two games. It's great, especially whilst Zach is also on fire. Next game will be huge around the painted area - I guess both Karno and Collins will have great games, but ... it will be NWG who will win it ;-)

Reborn
03-24-2017, 06:29 AM
I do have to say it is so funny reading comments on the bottom of game summaries. The flailing the haters go through to justify their misconceptions of the Zags. Best one I read said basically that because the Zags played a 4 seed they haven't played anyone. WV was ranked most of the season, WV beat some highly ranked teams this season, they AREN'T nobodies. I guess it must hurt when realities raindown on your misconceptions.

That was one heck of a game... I'd have been proud of the boys just for putting up the fight that they did... getting the W was just gravy. This team showed their resolve last night. My gut says we see the Zag team that opened a can of whoop-@ss on SMC in the WCC tourney final against Xavier.

WV was really tough. I really like following two ranking systerms: Ken Pom and BPI. Over the years these two have become my favorites. I give the nod to Ken Pom as the best. Ken Pomeroy had Gonzaga first and West Virginia 6th. BPI had us 2nd and West Virginia 8th. We had the toughest game of all teams in the Sweet 16.

willandi
03-24-2017, 06:42 AM
It was a great, heartfelt, gritty win that showed the Zag toughness...but just once I would like to see the refs call ALL the fouls. No more, they won't call them because we'll just commit too many. Just call the dam* game.

Karno didn't look intimidated, he looked swarmed under. Every play there was body contact, forearm push-offs (even one where JP got called for the foul of being pushed away by the man with the ball). Every player felt the fouls and it showed.

Just call the dam* fouls, or get a job you can handle.

Zagsker
03-24-2017, 07:04 AM
If you had told me before the game that NWG, Perkins, ZCollins, and Tillie would make a total of TWO, I said TWO baskets between them...I would have expected a 20 point loss!!

Wow...that is amazing too think about 4 major contributors had 2 buckets between them and we still won. I agree I hear that prognostication before the game and I say we are out

Zagsker
03-24-2017, 07:06 AM
Some BCS snob said on twitter tonight: "I bet if they played in the ACC they would have five or six losses."

Yup....and?

bballbeachbum
03-24-2017, 07:08 AM
the Zags won a game in a manner in which they were supposedly unable to do so, and did it in a Sweet 16 game. had to overcome a ton to do it, that's what it's about right now, have to keep overcoming and this Zag team is more equipped to do that than any other before it seems to me. great example last night with roles being played by all so that the whole was greater than the sum of its parts. TEAM win big big time last night.

Just so awesome to see guys stepping up into their roles so unselfishly game to game, different guys leading the way at different times, from the Northwestern game to last night that reality couldn't be clearer. But biggest difference with this team is the D, elite level defensive team the Zags have never come close to fielding before. Just awesome

Birddog
03-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Silas had his "grumpy face" on throughout the game. They were focused.

Ezag
03-24-2017, 07:40 AM

Who you saying is Grumpy?

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2016/11/11/SRX_GU_UTAH_VALLEY_22_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f7 041162086f31df6a374511

Reborn
03-24-2017, 08:42 AM
The greatest of all images that I have in my mind is the face of Mathews after hitting the game winning 3. I loved that look and I'm not sure if I've ever seen it before. Does anyone have THAT picture?

Ezag
03-24-2017, 09:13 AM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Rfsd2mLl--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/yzsalcusuonxn4v78kso.jpg

Reborn
03-24-2017, 09:16 AM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Rfsd2mLl--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/yzsalcusuonxn4v78kso.jpg

Thanks!

MontanaCoyote
03-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Well I'm up early. Can't sleep. My shoulder is kind of killing me this morning after my son beat the heck out of me in our craziness after the final horn went off last night. But it's a good soreness. It makes me feel like I was in the battle last night. Talk about a war. Wow! Gonzaga beat the toughest team in college basketball this year. That's surely something to cheer about. Even though I predicted an eleven pt victory for the Zags, I new better because I did a lot of research on WV. No one beats them by that much. They beat Kanses at home by 16 and lost to them in overtime at Kansas. They beat Iowa St twice, both times by double figures. They beat Baylor by 20+ when Baylor was #1. No. I really knew inside that it was going to be the kind of game it was. I had no idea that we could hold them to 58 points. They averaged 82 points a game and played in a really tough conference. But Gonzaga is one of the best defensive teams in the country and showed it last night. I knew the game was going down to the last seconds.

My mantra this morning for the day is, "We're still standing, man." That was one of the best heavy-weight battles I've seen in basketball. It was a toe-to-toe slug fest. And in the final minutes in was one great shot after another, and finally Jordan Mathews threw the knock-out punch in the last minute of the 12th round. Today, I will celebrate the victory in peace and restfullness as I rebuild my spirit for tomorrows battle. I will wear a soft smile on my face, to express the deep joy I feel. My heart is full of gratitude this morning. Thanks guys, Zags, for what you did last night. You've allowed us here in ZagNation to stand with you all one more night, one more fight.

Go Zags!!!

Like Ali - Frazier #3!

MontanaCoyote
03-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Who you saying is Grumpy?

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2016/11/11/SRX_GU_UTAH_VALLEY_22_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f7 041162086f31df6a374511

Father Karno keeping things in order.

Zag Man
03-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Gonzaga basketball took another huge step forward with only its third Elite 8 run. And it happened on what I believe is the second greatest shot in school history behind "the runner".

I respectfully disagree. I believe Jordan's shot was the biggest shot in school history and will be replayed for a long, long time! I thought Jordan played magnificently! He has really stepped up in the NCAA Tournament. Congratulations to the team for a huge win!

Zag Man
03-24-2017, 12:03 PM

It's really obvious that this team does not want the season to end and will do whatever is necessary to win the game! I am really proud to be a Gonzaga basketball fan!

kitzbuel
03-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Kansas and UNC each played three #1 seeds just to get here! Don't you know that?