PDA

View Full Version : Few's foresight to go 10 deep in the first half

Alum08
03-23-2017, 07:15 PM
It was an amazing gameplan and it sure payed off royally with a couple of minutes to go. If NWG or Matthews fouled out or had to sit major minutes we would've been screwed. Despite the ridiculous number of fouls in this game we didn't have to be choosy with our second half rotations. I couldn't believe that Rui and Jones were playing significant minutes in a game of that magnitude but it was a fantastic decision by Few.

kitzbuel
03-23-2017, 07:21 PM
It was an amazing gameplan and it sure payed off royally with a couple of minutes to go. If NWG or Matthews fouled out or had to sit major minutes we would've been screwed. Despite the ridiculous number of fouls in this game we didn't have to be choosy with our second half rotations. I couldn't believe that Rui and Jones were playing significant minutes in a game of that magnitude but it was a fantastic decision by Few.
No doubt. Few got a lot of mileage out of Rui and Jones and kept the score in check. Valuable minutes.

VinnyZag
03-23-2017, 07:22 PM
I'm afraid it wasn't foresight or game plan or strategy, it was foul trouble.

hooter73
03-23-2017, 07:28 PM

This.

willandi
03-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Some call that depth!

DixieZag
03-23-2017, 07:31 PM

I have seen WCC games with more of a "let 'em play" vibe to them than this game.

I'm sure the refs are just taking their cue from CBS because goodness knows that when you buy a tournament for billions of dollars, you want your fans to have a chance to check out that Japanese - American student at the end of the bench who hasn't played a meaningful minute all year. And, somehow, we play a team that with pride takes the name "Press Virginia" and yet we had all the guys in foul trouble in the first half.

Strangest called game in forever. No flow, no rhyme or reason. I don't think they were for or against anyone - except that fourth foul called on Nigel was called just to prove that that particular ref couldn't be constrained by context, good taste or basic humanity. I hope that ref feels great about that call, huge impact on the game, not a thing to do with the actual play. Weird.

U Zig, I Zag
03-23-2017, 07:32 PM
When I saw Tillie come in way early and then Rui later on, I was wondering how the Few-haters on here would complain about Few not changing things up.

zag67
03-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Kept them out of foul trouble and rested for the second half. Great move and will pay benefits net year. Showed he has confidence in them.

CdAZagFan
03-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Thought Rui held his own pretty well during the time he was in there...

willandi
03-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Thought Rui held his own pretty well during the time he was in there...

As did Jeremy Jones!

tinfoilzag
03-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Strangest called game in forever. No flow, no rhyme or reason. I don't think they were for or against anyone

I like Huggins and their players play with a lot of heart but they FOUL CONSTANTLY. Grabbing a guy cutting is a foul. Pushing in the back during rebounds is a foul. Slapping against an arm while knocking the ball loose is a foul. Running into a dribbler is a block and a foul. Their approach of "they can't call them all" "we've got 12x5 fouls to give" "made the refs blow the whistle" is terrible. Even on offense, their only play is to put their head down, drive to the bucket, look for contact, throw up a prayer, and then clobber guys with position for the rebound. Both sides of the ball is based on desensitizing refs to touch fouls to cover up skill deficiencies.

It's goon hockey and will always ruin the flow of a game.

willandi
03-23-2017, 07:59 PM
I like Huggins and their players play with a lot of heart but they FOUL CONSTANTLY. Grabbing a guy cutting is a foul. Pushing in the back during rebounds is a foul. Slapping against an arm while knocking the ball loose is a foul. Running into a dribbler is a block and a foul. Their approach of "they can't call them all" "we've got 12x5 fouls to give" "made the refs blow the whistle" is terrible. Even on offense, their only play is to put their head down, drive to the bucket, look for contact, throw up a prayer, and then clobber guys with position for the rebound. Both sides of the ball is based on desensitizing refs to touch fouls to cover up skill deficiencies.

Agree totally. Just ask my wife!

CarolinaZagFan
03-23-2017, 07:59 PM

Nailed it

MickMick
03-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Was waiting for a thunderous dunk from Rui on a break.

So was Few.

The emotional impact would have been a kick starter.

CanadianZagsFan
03-23-2017, 08:09 PM
I would've played Rui A LOT in practice this past week and played him as a coach in this matchup. VERY surprised to see Few give him minutes. One of my fav rotation moves EVER by Few in March Madness game. Rui was not great by any means, but it builds confidence for him moving forward into next season (heck Id try him vs Arizona if that matchup happens or UNC /Kansas /Kentucky in possible championship game , playing with house money at that point)

I said to my brother last timeout Collins and Karno need to be on floor. Happy he put Collins in there, his mobility was key on last sequence if you go back and watch it. I just knew as a coach in that last tv timeout/timeout Carter was going to play hero ball off a screen high OR drive to basket , Collins lateral movement and length NEEDED to be on the floor plus his free throw shooting if he got a rebound under 10 seconds left.

I would've went back to Tillie in 2nd half /down the stretch due to his FT % and D boards. If he fouls out, he fouls out.

Really was pleased with Few win or lose tonight by how he called the game. He had couple moments of panic /deer in headlights look but he executed that rotation to perfection. He was one of our key guys tonight with Matthews and Shem.

One of three stars of game goes to Coach Few!

billyberu
03-23-2017, 08:10 PM
I don't think foul trouble alone was the reason Rui played minutes in the first half. He's also a guy who can help with their press.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

CanadianZagsFan
03-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Goon hockey love it:lmao:Not 1970s goon hockey, but 1990s clutch and grab/push hockey. P

WVU is not dirty, but they bend rules/cheat here and there on D/clutch grab style. Not how I'd want my 6-12 yr olds, even teen teams to play the game.

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2017, 08:22 PM
When I saw Tillie come in way early and then Rui later on, I was wondering how the Few-haters on here would complain about Few not changing things up.

What sucks for you is that the biggest Few hater on this board has a user name thats virtually identical to yours. I hope people don't confuse the two of you.

23dpg
03-23-2017, 08:29 PM
What sucks for you is that the biggest Few hater on this board has a user name thats virtually identical to yours. I hope people don't confuse the two of you.

I was just wondering about that. Is it the same name without the spaces?

Coach Crazy
03-23-2017, 09:04 PM
I don't think foul trouble alone was the reason Rui played minutes in the first half. He's also a guy who can help with their press.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Indeed. Can you imagine what an athlete, with his size can do when the press over-commits and leaves open lanes? Geez. Rim abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zags11
03-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Great job by few!

jayray
03-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Great job by few!

I liked the move too but that is asking a lot of those kids putting them in the game like that after barely playing in almost meaningless WCC games. Rui should of got way more minutes this year.

CDC84
03-23-2017, 10:41 PM
That game was just crazy. Even if you think WVU was fouling a lot, you have to admire the non-stop tenacity. You don't get a single break.

BayAreaZagFan
03-23-2017, 11:10 PM
FIFTY-ONE fouls. That's insane!

I'm in the camp that doesn't think Few played his subs in the first half strictlydue to foul trouble. I think he saw how the game was going and knew he needed to get some guys in there to absorb some fouls. In other words, the team wasn't necessarily in foul trouble yet, but he knew they would be if he didn't get some other bodies in there at that point. I think it was a great coaching move.

ProVeeZag
03-23-2017, 11:33 PM
I said to my brother last timeout Collins and Karno need to be on floor. Happy he put Collins in there, his mobility was key on last sequence if you go back and watch it. I just knew as a coach in that last tv timeout/timeout Carter was going to play hero ball off a screen high OR drive to basket , Collins lateral movement and length NEEDED to be on the floor plus his free throw shooting if he got a rebound under 10 seconds left.

You got it right. It was Collins closeout on Carter that forced the last second pass to a teammate as time expired. Carter realized he wasn't going to get off his shot over the oncoming 7-foot Collins. It was YOOOGE!

caduceus
03-23-2017, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Mark knew the tendencies of the referees before the game. The fact that Tillie was in so early, and Rui as well, makes me think he knew what was coming. Remember that gawd awful tourney game against OK State (3/24/2014)? Over sixty fouls I think.

Zag79
03-24-2017, 12:00 AM
That was easily Mark Few at his best, never has he coached a better game than tonight. Period. The kind of games he hadn't won, where we simply couldn't score enough to pull it out. Tonight they did, and with everything going against them all things considered. Bravo!

tyra
03-24-2017, 01:35 AM
I don't think it was just the fouls that lead him to more freely substitute -- it was also the sheer physicality of that game and Mark knew it. How much did that matter? I'd argue that the Zags had the best 39 seconds of defense in our school's history to close out the game. Why? One contributing reason might be the earlier substitution pattern.

caduceus
03-24-2017, 01:39 AM
Has to be said: 51 fouls, and not one Zag fouled out. Few is a master.

(and F*** the refs. That's pure manipulation when there are 51 fouls and not a single player on either team gets sent off. I can't be more disgusted by this when refs try to "make a game" out of it. Should have won by 10+).

Zaga
03-24-2017, 05:21 AM
That was easily Mark Few at his best, never has he coached a better game than tonight. Period. The kind of games he hadn't won, where we simply couldn't score enough to pull it out. Tonight they did, and with everything going against them all things considered. Bravo!

I think every fan was surprised to see JJ and RH come into the game but a great decision from MF. What a confidence boost for those kids in such an important game.

Zag79
03-24-2017, 12:55 PM
I think every fan was surprised to see JJ and RH come into the game but a great decision from MF. What a confidence boost for those kids in such an important game.

I couldn't agree more. That game was the exact game that puts out any Gonzaga team in years past, the kind of game a coach has to win on the road to a Final 4 all things considered. Few was phenomanal, pulling all the right strings when the basketball gods didn't want the Zags to win easy... If at all. His best game in the biggest game of his career, Mark Few deserves to be applauded.

Reborn
03-24-2017, 04:53 PM
I don't think it was insight either. But he has prepared both of them, Jones and Rui, all season long. It was his long term planning that prepared both of them to play. He needed them in the game last night because of severe foul problems. I agree that both of them did a good job.

ScrapironJim
03-24-2017, 05:58 PM
Give Few credit for putting Jordan back in the game when he did for his scoring potential. Jordan was the right Zag for that particular situation. Also, give the coaches credit for the way our guys handled those last 37 seconds. They were composed and the WVU players were very unorganized.