PDA

View Full Version : Chase Jeter tranferring from Duke

sittingon50
03-23-2017, 11:54 AM
(Mods: looked for a thread to hook this on to but didn't find one that made sense. Please feel free to move)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18983945/duke-sophomore-chase-jeter-transfer-sit-next-season

Z-Bo's old HS teammate.

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 11:59 AM
(Mods: looked for a thread to hook this on to but didn't find one that made sense. Please feel free to move)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18983945/duke-sophomore-chase-jeter-transfer-sit-next-season

Z-Bo's old HS teammate.

Sign him up!

We do have a schollie available, don't we?

Zags_Fanatic
03-23-2017, 12:06 PM
It would be the ultimate irony if the guy that Collins played behind at Gorman took his place at GU if Z-Bo leaves early for the NBA. Put in a good word, Zach!

Zags_Fanatic
03-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Sign him up!

We do have a schollie available, don't we?

No scholarships available now, they are tied up with Kispert and Wade. Doesn't mean that won't change in the coming weeks, though.

Hoopaholic
03-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Redshirt year to recover and build skill set

Wow. Love to have him

CarolinaZagFan
03-23-2017, 12:17 PM
No better place to spend your redshirt year! Go West, develop your game and be ready to dominate in two seasons.

seacatfan
03-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Saw this coming a mile away. Should've left after his Fr. year. Going to Duke turned out to be a terrible choice for him, as it has been for many other highly touted recruits.

Maybe Sean Obi will wisen up and also leave. Should be immediately eligible as a grad transfer. Was a double double machine at Rice before somehow being convinced to transfer to Duke, where he has rotted on the bench for 2 years, just like Jeter.

hooter73
03-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Oooooooo

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Oooooooo

Getting ahead of myself, can't wait to send the IM to the Dukie in my office that Jeter's landing at GU.

My question: why the heck wouldn't he? If he wants to go pro, GU's results speak for themselves.

MDABE80
03-23-2017, 01:06 PM
These are all good reason for Zach and Nigel to stay. :)

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 01:07 PM

You're getting greedy, Abe...I like that! :lmao:

ZagaZags
03-23-2017, 01:19 PM

Chase Jeter wouldn't eligible until the 2018-2019 season. Zach and Nigel will be long gone.

MickMick
03-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Few would:

Play him
Get him in to the pros

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2017, 01:38 PM
He's not very good, at all. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we, UNLV or SDU landed him. But to repeat, he's not very good at all.

tinfoilzag
03-23-2017, 01:55 PM
He's not very good, at all. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we, UNLV or SDU landed him. But to repeat, he's not very good at all.

As a McD AA he was highly touted. Anyone have the info on why he didn't produce?

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2017, 02:19 PM
As a McD AA he was highly touted. Anyone have the info on why he didn't produce?

Because he's not good. Lived off of Bishop Gorman hype.

Gonzdb8
03-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Because he's not good. Lived off of Bishop Gorman hype.

specifics? i'll admit to knowing very little about his game. what are the deficiencies that have been exposed in the college game?

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
specifics? i'll admit to knowing very little about his game. what are the deficiencies that have been exposed in the college game?

No post moves whatsoever, very limited offensively. He does have a decent motor, but extremely raw offensively. He was able to use his height in highschool, but could no longer get away with that in college. he's a major project, but a redshirt year could do wonders. It's ironic that Zach backed up both Jeter and Zimmerman in high school and is head and shoulders superior to both.

zagsfanforlife
03-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Plays hard.. is athletic... very few skills

Zagdawg
03-23-2017, 09:13 PM
Gonzaga Guru 33-1 Retweeted
(((RealClayDade)))‏ @ClayDade 6h6 hours ago
Early list for Washington soph transfer PF Noah Dickerson: Wake Forest, Florida State, Purdue, Va Tech, Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Michigan

katman50
03-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Gonzaga Guru 33-1 Retweeted
(((RealClayDade)))‏ @ClayDade 6h6 hours ago
Early list for Washington soph transfer PF Noah Dickerson: Wake Forest, Florida State, Purdue, Va Tech, Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Michigan

Would love to get this guy, if there was room for him.

Ezag
03-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Forget Chase I'd rather have Derek Jeter

JPtheBeasta
03-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Forget Chase I'd rather have Derek Jeter

That's what she said.

Zags_Fanatic
03-23-2017, 10:01 PM
Some serious chatter out there that Zags are a frontrunner for Jeter.

U Zig, I Zag
03-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Some serious chatter out there that Zags are a frontrunner for Jeter.

Derek or Chase?

Ezag
03-23-2017, 10:11 PM
Derek or Chase?

Derek I hope

DukeSilver
03-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Straight up insane that anyone on this board wouldn't be beside themselves at the idea that Chase Jeter is interested in transferring to GU ... His Duke production levels aside, his potential is off the charts, and would be more than welcome on our roster. Full stop. End of story.

zagsfanforlife
03-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Would rather have Dickerson 100xs over. Potential shmomential. Jeter would need more than a year to give him necessary basketball skills to be a star. Dickerson would come in and dominate the wcc

Zags_Fanatic
03-23-2017, 11:49 PM
If he's not meeting his potential or doing what he needs to do I say give Travis Knight the keys and put him in the Olynyk Clinic. Dude could be a monster after a solid year of focusing on himself and he is chomping at the bit for that experience.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2017, 06:21 AM
Straight up insane that anyone on this board wouldn't be beside themselves at the idea that Chase Jeter is interested in transferring to GU ... His Duke production levels aside, his potential is off the charts, and would be more than welcome on our roster. Full stop. End of story.

"Beside themselves"? Holy hyperbole Batman, and believe me, I know hyperbole. lol He has zero offensive skills, none, zip, zilch, nada. He does have a good motor, but I'm afraid you're getting caught up in the hype of his name and high school recruiting status and not his actual performance, or lack thereof, on the actual basketball court. As of right now, Chase Jeter is not a good basketball player, but again a year of red shirting may make him a 7/7 guy, nice role player off the bench. Noah Dickerson intrigues me much more

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 07:10 AM
If he's not meeting his potential or doing what he needs to do I say give Travis Knight the keys and put him in the Olynyk Clinic. Dude could be a monster after a solid year of focusing on himself and he is chomping at the bit for that experience.

Saw over at SB Nation that Zags are one of his choices, Arizona was another. Given the evidence, IMO biased though it may be, he'll develop more as a player and young man at GU than any of the other schools mentioned. I don't know how close he is to Zach C, but I'm sure they'll talk.

sittingon50
03-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Holy hyperbole Batman, and believe me, I know hyperbole. lol He has zero offensive skills, none, zip, zilch, nada. He does have a good motor

So a more athletic version of Abdullah Kuso? Would take that in a minute! No, upon further review, less than a minute.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2017, 07:35 AM
So a more athletic version of Abdullah Kuso? Would take that in a minute! No, upon further review, less than a minute.

Why? We're better than mid major projects. he averaged 2.2 ppg this past season. Again, people are enamored by his high school hype and are completely ignoring his lack of an semblance of skill. We should be all over Noah Dickerson, but for some odd reason posters are fawning all over Jeter simply because Duke and Bishop Gorman. SMH.

DeSmet Penthouse
03-24-2017, 08:16 AM
Semi Ojeleye averaged 3.0 ppg at Duke and averaged 18.9 ppg at SMU this year. Dan Dickau averaged 4.6 ppg at UW and 18.9 ppg his first year at GU. They became All-American level performers after some uninspiring years at their first schools. Micah Downs went from 4.3 ppg at Kansas to 8.1 ppg his first year at GU. And Erroll Knight ppg actually went down from 7.1 at UW to 5.8 his first year at GU. Both of those guys became solid role players for us. Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery to maximize their potential and find their fit on a team. Getting a transfer is like buying a stock - "past performance is not a predictor of future results".

These players are scrutinized very closely in high school. It is exceedingly rare that a player with "zero offensive skills" gets evaluated so highly. Plus, these highlight videos I found of him show solid footwork, some decent post moves, the ability to protect the rim and block shots, rebounding out of his area, running the floor well, a decent jumper out to 15', as well as the obligatory litany of dunks. And yes - I realize highlight videos are selectively edited. No need to make that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvWrGEAZA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8mR4Y7lUg4

McDonald's All-American, 11th best player in his class, 4th best player at his position. Offers from Duke, Arizona, Kansas, Oregon & UCLA. I don't know if Chase Jeter will be an All-American, a role player, or a scrub at his next school. But I do know that with his pedigree, if he's interested in GU we should give him a long look.

sittingon50
03-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Why? We're better than mid major projects. he averaged 2.2 ppg this past season. Again, people are enamored by his high school hype and are completely ignoring his lack of an semblance of skill. We should be all over Noah Dickerson, but for some odd reason posters are fawning all over Jeter simply because Duke and Bishop Gorman. SMH.

I don't know anything about his HS hype. 2.2 with a motor?O.K., he can be a bigger version of Mike Hart. You can't start everybody, and if you have enough scoring weapons, then bring an athlete off the bench that can go get rebounds. He doesn't have to be a STARTER.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2017, 08:51 AM
I don't know anything about his HS hype. 2.2 with a motor?O.K., he can be a bigger version of Mike Hart. You can't start everybody, and if you have enough scoring weapons, then bring an athlete off the bench that can go get rebounds. He doesn't have to be a STARTER.

Agreed

zagdontzig
03-24-2017, 09:02 AM
By this board's standards, we wouldn't have wanted Kyle Wiltjer either. Y'all are crazy if you don't think we wouldn't take him immediately if he showed interest. He's the perfect candidate for big man transfer U

sittingon50
03-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Agreed

Sorry spy. Went back & read my post. Hope I wasn't coming across like a jerk; not my intent.

Chicken Ball
03-24-2017, 09:34 AM
"He is a fluid athlete who looks smooth running the floor and finishing above the rim in space, and has some limited ball handling abilities which he has shown he can use in a pinch in the face up game. He has already showed some nice footwork in his back to the basket game as well as the ability to finish with either hand, but can often get away with using his size and length to work his way to the rim. He'll have to learn how to recognize double teams and pass out of the post, as at times he looked somewhat rushed looking for his own offense. Defensively, while he can definitely be a factor on the glass, he also some potential as a rim protector given his size, mobility and big standing reach. He seems to have a good grasp of help defense, but could stand do get stronger and tougher so he can deal with some more physical players on the block."

From last Summer.

Sounds like a prototypical Gonzaga redshirt year project.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chase-Jeter-7262/

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Sorry spy. Went back & read my post. Hope I wasn't coming across like a jerk; not my intent.

No problem. As I said in an earlier post, after last nights win, nothings gonna bother me today.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2017, 09:56 AM
By this board's standards, we wouldn't have wanted Kyle Wiltjer either. Y'all are crazy if you don't think we wouldn't take him immediately if he showed interest. He's the perfect candidate for big man transfer U

Kyle Wiltjer averaged 10.2 ppg his sophomore year. Jeter averaged 2.2

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Kyle Wiltjer averaged 10.2 ppg his sophomore year. Jeter averaged 2.2

Kyle played entire year without substantial injuries

How long was jeter battling bulging disc and/or ankle injury

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Kyle played entire year without substantial injuries

How long was jeter battling bulging disc and/or ankle injury

Fair point, but Shem had worse back injuries and even then you could see that he had some semblance of an offensive game. This is where you say, "fair point Spy". lol

seacatfan
03-24-2017, 10:38 AM
I have no idea about Jeter specifically, but in general terms lack of production at Duke means zilch. K goes w/ a 6 or 7 player rotation. If you aren't in the rotation, you aren't playing at all and will not produce. You can come up with a fairly impressive list of guys that transferred out of Duke that did almost nothing while in Durham, and went on to be at the very least solid role players, and in some cases stars at their new school. Ojeleye listed above is merely the latest example.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2017, 10:44 AM
I have no idea about Jeter specifically, but in general terms lack of production at Duke means zilch. K goes w/ a 6 or 7 player rotation. If you aren't in the rotation, you aren't playing at all and will not produce. You can come up with a fairly impressive list of guys that transferred out of Duke that did almost nothing while in Durham, and went on to be at the very least solid role players, and in some cases stars at their new school. Ojeleye listed above is merely the latest example.

Correct. You could also come up with an equally impressive list of highly ranked Duke recruits that transferred and flamed out. Taylor King listed above is merely one example.