PDA

View Full Version : Is Nigel the difference maker today??

MDABE80
03-23-2017, 09:28 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/3/23/14989306/nigel-williams-goss-gonzaga-ncaa-tournament-2017?yptr=yahoo

DixieZag
03-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Better be.

Zaga
03-23-2017, 09:59 AM
Better be.

Or we go home and prepare for another run next year!

katman50
03-23-2017, 10:05 AM
I believe Nigel will be the difference maker today. If he senses that the rest of the team is not producing like they should, Nigel will take over. Especially in the second half. He will drive the lane, get fouled and make his free throws, etc. All of the players want to win this game, but believe Nigel has more than a burning desire. He can take over games. Sure, he may commit a couple turnovers with his gambling, but with Nigel producing, the Zags win by 10. Go Zags.

RenoZag
03-23-2017, 10:07 AM
He's an All-American. Needs to play like one for GU to win.

CDC84
03-23-2017, 10:51 AM
It takes more than just one player to break that press....Perkins, Mathews, the bigs.....everyone is accountable.

amaronizag
03-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Constant ball pressure will take a toll on MY nerves, for a fact. And if I had to draw up a game plan to beat GU, the plan would feature full court pressure, trapping Goss and limiting his contribution, collapsing on Karno in the middle to make GU beat me from the outside, and keep my guards tight on the perimeter shooters. Huggins is way more savvy than me so it will be worse than anything I can conjure, but GU will win in spite of WVA's best efforts because we have a better team. Period.

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Constant ball pressure will take a toll on MY nerves, for a fact. And if I had to draw up a game plan to beat GU, the plan would feature full court pressure, trapping Goss and limiting his contribution, collapsing on Karno in the middle to make GU beat me from the outside, and keep my guards tight on the perimeter shooters. Huggins is way more savvy than me so it will be worse than anything I can conjure, but GU will win in spite of WVA's best efforts because we have a better team. Period.

That's why we practiced 5 on 7 this week. IMHO, you can't collapse on Karno without freeing up the perimeter.

Ezag
03-23-2017, 12:16 PM
That's why we practiced 5 on 7 this week. IMHO, you can't collapse on Karno without freeing up the perimeter.

Should have been 5 v 12 Get the whole team out there at once

cjm720
03-23-2017, 12:32 PM
He's the lead dog...we need him to step up his game and leadership...he's up to the challenge!!!

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Should have been 5 v 12 Get the whole team out there at once

LOL - I'm sure Michaelson is up to the task, don't know about Daniels, though.

ZagMan in Philly
03-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Double Double and may flirt with Triple Double tonight.
We win!

raise the zag
03-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Nope. Not even close.

He broke the press pretty darn well, but it was others who stepped up tonight.

Karnowksi played pretty great vs a tough match-up for him. Showed some grit. Didn't take a bad shot til late in 2nd half. His jumper from FT line was HUGE.

J3 played with heart. Did all the little things we needed. Got a put back or two, blocked out guys, made some clutch shots. Helped us get their attn in the toughness department.

Perkins played hard. Very key in breaking the press with solid passing all night long. Very active on defense, as always. Fought through every single screen. Was oddly shy on offense, deferred all night long. Passed up several open looks. I want Josh to pull the trigger. He had the block of the year at end of game.

Our bench was up and down, but showed their youth tonight. Ticky tac fouls and some questionable, sloppy decisions. Melson had some key rebounds and solid defensively.

Collins a no show overall. Rebounded effortlessly, but wasn't his night. Tillie tried too hard, to do too much, not let the game come to him.

Mathews was clutch. Had a terrible 1st half. I was calling for Few to pull him. But he came back with a vengeance in 2nd half. Scored 7 straight pts at one point. Much like Williams III, we don't make Elite 8 without him. One of the biggest shots of all-time. Will be talked about for years to come…his off ball defense is irreplaceable. We may never see another guard with his ability to execute a game plan defensively. He knows the opponents offense better than anyone.

Nigel was not the difference maker. First time all year I've seen him play so nervously. He made solid decisions vs the press, but pretty poor decisions in half court and defensively, save the final play of the game.

Was nice to see others step up. A TEAM for a reason. Showed some toughness, heart, and grit.

Terribly stressful game to watch but we pulled it out.

What a game!

CdAZagFan
03-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Strange that NWG hasn't really had a breakout game in this tourney (yet). Also strange that he doesn't seem as relaxed as he did on the court coming into the tourney. I hope he is able to just relax and play his game on Saturday.

Ezag
03-23-2017, 09:24 PM
I think Nigel played fine especially under the pressure of being our main ball-handler. He made that pass to Matthews which proved to be the dagger. Yeah he forced it quite a bit but I didn't see anybody else trying to push the ball like him and trying to make things happen. If we didn't have a guy like nwg then everybody would be standing around all the time

Birddog
03-24-2017, 05:15 AM
I think Nigel played fine especially under the pressure of being our main ball-handler. He made that pass to Matthews which proved to be the dagger. Yeah he forced it quite a bit but I didn't see anybody else trying to push the ball like him and trying to make things happen. If we didn't have a guy like nwg then everybody would be standing around all the time

My guess is that part of Few's game plan was for the guards to take advantage and try to drive the lane and get contact and fouls. The refs didn't follow the game plan. The 2nd half the Zags backed off that plan but Nigel was still hounded all night.

krii
03-24-2017, 05:17 AM
Strange that NWG hasn't really had a breakout game in this tourney (yet). Also strange that he doesn't seem as relaxed as he did on the court coming into the tourney. I hope he is able to just relax and play his game on Saturday.

The Law of Statistics says: "Nigel will have a breakout game in this tournament and this game will be Xavier".

Mark my words :-)

ZagMan in Philly
03-24-2017, 06:21 AM
The Law of Statistics says: "Nigel will have a breakout game in this tournament and this game will be Xavier".

Mark my words :-)

I am with you! There are still 3 more games for him to shine.

His two key free throws when we were down by three at the end there were HUGE.

In Nigel I Trust.

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 06:27 AM
I am with you! There are still 3 more games for him to shine.

His two key free throws when we were down by three at the end there were HUGE.

In Nigel I Trust.

That baseline jumper was an important bucket, too.