PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft Declarations

Zagdawg
03-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 4m4 minutes ago
BYU big man Eric Mika will declare for the NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent, school announced. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0636267155473570618-4

SwainZag
03-22-2017, 10:32 AM
No surprise but

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 27m27 minutes ago

Duke's Jayson Tatum will sign with an agent and enter the 2017 NBA Draft, per his twitter page.

SwainZag
03-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Jon Rothstein ‏Verified account @JonRothstein

Cal's Ivan Rabb will sign with an agent and enter the 2017 NBA Draft, per a source.

RenoZag
03-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Smart move by Mika to test the waters. . .can't hurt to find out where he stands in this year's draft class.

Zagdawg
03-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 28m28 minutes ago
Florida State's Dwayne Bacon announces he is headed to NBA Draft and will forgo remaining college eligibility. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0636278983318576131-4 …

Zagdawg
03-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 5m5 minutes ago
Louisville sophomore guard Donovan Mitchell told ESPN he will declare for the NBA Draft, but will not hire an... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0636286479131221081-4 …

Mr Vulture
03-22-2017, 12:01 PM
A lot of guys will declare but not hire an agent. I expect both NWG and Collins to do just that to be honest.

kitzbuel
03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 4m4 minutes ago
BYU big man Eric Mika will declare for the NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent, school announced. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0636267155473570618-4 …

If he actually went, Cougar Nation's collective implosion would be enough to actually cause the uranium in Utah to achieve critical mass.

sittingon50
03-22-2017, 12:32 PM
If he actually went, Cougar Nation's collective implosion would be enough to actually cause the uranium in Utah to achieve critical mass.

Yep.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-22-2017, 12:49 PM
I will forego my remaining eligibility and declare for the NBA draft.

CDC84
03-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Expect tons of people to declare to test the waters with the new combine rules. I would imagine the NBA has a limit on the amount of players they will invite to the combine. Otherwise everyone will be testing the waters. Anyone know the number??

Ezag
03-22-2017, 01:27 PM
Don't test the waters in the Spokane River or you will surely perish
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.5794259.2994/flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

Mojo13
03-22-2017, 03:16 PM
A little over 70 players were invited to the combine last year.

Basically if you don't get invited you don't have a chance of being drafted. This is usually the clearest sign for an underclassmen on the fence to go back to school.
and it is good opportunity for other borderline guys to get clear advice from NBA exec's. Many kids pulled out of the draft and went back to school after the combine last year. It is a much, much better system for players now.

Here is the list from last year
http://www.nba.com/2016/news/05/06/more-than-70-players-invited-to-2016-nba-draft-combine/

I think 63 agreed to participate, with most of the top 5-10 players declining (typically on agent's advice). Usually none of the foreign players participate either (I don't think they are even invited).

basketballzag
03-22-2017, 05:31 PM
A little over 70 players were invited to the combine last year.

Basically if you don't get invited you don't have a chance of being drafted. This is usually the clearest sign for an underclassmen on the fence to go back to school.
and it is good opportunity for other borderline guys to get clear advice from NBA exec's. Many kids pulled out of the draft and went back to school after the combine last year. It is a much, much better system for players now.

Here is the list from last year
http://www.nba.com/2016/news/05/06/more-than-70-players-invited-to-2016-nba-draft-combine/

I think 63 agreed to participate, with most of the top 5-10 players declining (typically on agent's advice). Usually none of the foreign players participate either (I don't think they are even invited).

We are going to have a huge influx of foreign players drafted this year in the Draft. Last year we had 16 international players drafted in 60 spots. I've seen some internal scout mocks where that number could be as high as 28 international players drafted this year. We had a 118 foreign players on NBA rosters on opening day out of roughly 300 spots (1/3). Draft & Stashing now plays an even more critical role in the NBA draft than it did two or three years ago because it costs 1/3 to draft & stash a promising international prospect than it does to Draft one and put them on the roster (1 mil versus 3 mil on average).

We can expect a very deep PG and C/PF draft this year which is why I have no doubt that NWG and Collins come back next year. Both of those players need to build up their "brand identity" nationally and get better. NWG will get drafted next year but this year its too deep at PG. It would be wise from a financial perspective though to explore the NBA but not sign with an agent and then come back for another year at Gonzaga. Collins will not be a lottery pick this year but will next year--too much international competition ahead of him this year.

WallaWallaZag
03-22-2017, 06:35 PM
We are going to have a huge influx of foreign players drafted this year in the Draft. Last year we had 16 international players drafted in 60 spots. I've seen some internal scout mocks where that number could be as high as 28 international players drafted this year. We had a 118 foreign players on NBA rosters on opening day out of roughly 300 spots (1/3). Draft & Stashing now plays an even more critical role in the NBA draft than it did two or three years ago because it costs 1/3 to draft & stash a promising international prospect than it does to Draft one and put them on the roster (1 mil versus 3 mil on average).

We can expect a very deep PG and C/PF draft this year which is why I have no doubt that NWG and Collins come back next year. Both of those players need to build up their "brand identity" nationally and get better. NWG will get drafted next year but this year its too deep at PG. It would be wise from a financial perspective though to explore the NBA but not sign with an agent and then come back for another year at Gonzaga. Collins will not be a lottery pick this year but will next year--too much international competition ahead of him this year.

i expect nwg to leave, even with the chance he doesn't get drafted...he's not a 1st-rounder no matter what anyways.
why? he has nothing left to prove and is already old...he came to gonzaga because he wanted to prove he could lead a winning team in the ncaa's...mission accomplished. his game is what it is...if there was a jump to be made it would have happened his redshirt year.

Mojo13
03-23-2017, 08:49 AM

To counter, the CBA has changed meaningfully for the upcoming year. NBA rosters are being expanded to 18 with three 2-way contracts (like the NHL or MLB). The D (or G) League salaries are increasing three-fold as well to 75K or so for a 5 month season.

It is going to lessen the need for European draft and stashes. And is going to be much more enticing to young players to declare and play in the D-league or grab a two way contact. Better pay, better coaching, unlimited training/practice time, quicker adjustment to the professional game and a phone call away from the NBA.

Some people following the NBA even see a possible need for a third round of the draft.

In my opinion this is going to drag more NCAA players into the draft than ever before. You may be right about the deep PG/C class this year, but with 90 new NBA roster spots I am going to guess this is a very good time to declare for NWG.

Mr Vulture
03-23-2017, 09:04 AM
i expect nwg to leave, even with the chance he doesn't get drafted...he's not a 1st-rounder no matter what anyways.
why? he has nothing left to prove and is already old...he came to gonzaga because he wanted to prove he could lead a winning team in the ncaa's...mission accomplished. his game is what it is...if there was a jump to be made it would have happened his redshirt year.

He may leave but, on the flip side, NWG is a very good student athlete and he may choose to stay in order to complete his Masters Degree. Especially since it's questionable whether he'd be drafted anyway. On the other side of things, Collins is projected as a lottery pick by Chad Ford on ESPN this morning.

btzag
03-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Yes completely agree on Nwg. He's a bb AA, academic AA, conf POY, 5th year in school, degree already, and led the team to a 1 seed.

Now ZC has tons of room for improvement and has really done none of the things Nwg has. Kid should come back and dominate at this level before jumping.

TravelinZag
03-23-2017, 09:27 AM
I will forego the NBA draft, and declare my remaining eligibility! (Keep pretty good stats and can relearn ankle-wrapping techniques. Lol)

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 09:40 AM
I will forego the NBA draft, and declare my remaining eligibility! (Keep pretty good stats and can relearn ankle-wrapping techniques. Lol)

I feel much better now.

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 09:41 AM
Yes completely agree on Nwg. He's a bb AA, academic AA, conf POY, 5th year in school, degree already, and led the team to a 1 seed.

Now ZC has tons of room for improvement and has really done none of the things Nwg has. Kid should come back and dominate at this level before jumping.

I'm sure if Zach comes back, the school will take out an insurance policy for him. That's legal, isn't it?

dhozagfan08
03-23-2017, 09:46 AM
I'm sure if Zach comes back, the school will take out an insurance policy for him. That's legal, isn't it?

I have always wondered about this as well. My guess is the NCAA makes the family pay it.

RenoZag
03-23-2017, 10:02 AM
In 2014, the NCAA created a waiver that allows players to borrow against their future earnings to pay loss-of-value insurance premiums. (Previously, they could only borrow against future earnings to pay for total disability insurance.) Shortly before that, some schools began dipping into their NCAA-approved Student Assistance Funds to pay the premiums. Texas A&M paid the premium for offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi in 2014 after associate athletic director Justin Moore and assistant compliance director Brad Barnes thoroughly researched the policies and checked with the NCAA to ensure they were allowed to use the Student Assistance Funds. Ogbuehi was a projected first-rounder after his junior season in '13, but he was leaning toward coming back to College Station. He had just watched fellow tackle Jake Matthews return for his senior season, raise his draft stock and cash in. The insurance policy sealed Ogbuehi's decision to return. "Ced didn't want to leave. He liked school. He didn't want to go," Moore said. "This was the way to make his family feel at ease. Here's this policy, and now we can make you feel more comfortable." (Ogbuehi tore his ACL in Texas A&M's bowl game, but he was still selected 21st overall by the Bengals.)

Also in 2014, Oregon paid portions of the premiums for Mariota, Ekpre-Olomu and center Hroniss Grasu. Splitting the cost between the school and the players and their families is becoming more common. Other schools have followed suit since, but schools with multiple potential first-rounders may not pay the full amount for each player. Since Student Assistance Fund money is designated to cover unplanned expenses—flying home because a family member died, for example—for every athlete in a program, it wouldn't be a good look politically for a school to use all its SAF fund money on insurance policy premiums.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/01/18/why-loss-value-insurance-policies-becoming-more-common

I am assuming these "loss of value" policies are available to basketball players as well

NCAA also has a program: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/student-athlete-insurance-programs

CDC84
03-23-2017, 11:03 AM
NWG is at #40 on the 2018 mock list at draftexpress.com. If he gets an invite, I am sure he will test the waters. But I would expect him to come back, finish his masters, and be a player of the year candidate.

FYI - Zach is now up to #11 on the 2018 draftexpress.com mock list:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/