PDA

View Full Version : Thanks and good luck

Dahlaw
03-22-2017, 05:14 AM
I've been reading and posting here about 5 days now. Not once have I seen any "redneck" or "hillbilly" crap comments.

No arrogance, nothing derogatory at all.

Just general basketball knowledge and - of course - reasons why everyone thinks thier beloved team will win. Which is not only expected but dang near required to be a fan. And GU's fan base should be confident after the year it has had coupled with a few NBA first rounders and one of the best coaches in the nation. Not to mention its lofty rankings in ALL metrics. Needless to say it's impressive that GU fans are educated enough to research our players names and know strengths/weaknesses etc. FYI - Adrian had a really bad wrist (left) and that's why his shooting has been garbage since January. Needless to say I want the winner of this same to WIN IT ALL!!!! And sadly it seems -according to most metrics - this game will have the highest quality matchup - as in the combined ranking of WVU and GU is lower than any other game - by a lot. I think 1 and 6, or 2 and 7 or a total of 7-9. Ken Pom maybe 1 and 4 currently.

But getting back to the comments - the sPitts, ULs, ACC in general and honestly a lot of the XII's (mainly KU who is apparently jealous of us poor folks out east) broken hillybilly comments are tiresome. We have heard it all our life. And yes, we have heard them all - no we do "f" our sisters, we do wear shoes, and have teeth. We do, however, love our hot dogs, pepperoni rolls, fine bourbon, whitewater, mountains, and most important our Mountaineers. We do get a bit roudy and burn a couch or fifty from time to time. We do get offended easily when people trash the State. We do feel like we don't get respect in - well - anything. Heck half the time (or more) people don't even know West Virginia is its own state and not Western Virginia - im serious - we have heard MANY ESPN - ABC- CBS announcers say WVU and UVA in a battle for state bragging rights. Or WVU goes head to head with in-state rival VT for star DB. 100% serious. The best was when we play smaller VA schools and hear I'm sure the kids from James Madison Univ. are tired of hearing about the big in state schools national rankings. Come'on man!

I've literally been in WV all 37 years of my life except for 7 when I was at "the" OSU for undergrad - FYI I HATE the Buckeyes - and Univ. of Dayton for Law School - i do cheer for the Flyers when they are on which is rare only 3.5 hours away. But I've been die hard WVU all my life. And the only reason I didn't go to undergrad there was because I was smart enough to know that all my friends were going there and I'd be partying with them all the time and probably fail out. And Columbus was only three hours away.

So it's really nice to come to a board for a solid week and not see ANY of that crap. I really appreciate that. As JFK once said "[t]he sun doesn't always shine on West Virginia, but its people do."

I'm retiring until game time. Got a lot going on next two days. Those ambulances aren't gonna chase them self, ya know.

Lastly if anyone is ever out this way I'd be offended if they didn't contact me for personal reccomendarions on things to do, see, eat, drink, etc. Open to any questions wvlawyer@icloud.com is the "unofficial email". WV is actually an awesome place to visit. We roll out the red carpet for outta towners. And despite our apparent change into a "red" state (don't get me started) - all kinds are welcome here. As all money is green to us and spends the same.

Lastly if anyone has been to the Willamette Valley in Oregon please email me. My wife is obcessed with its Pinos and I want to take her there in June for a suprise bday gift. I've only been to Oregon once and that was Portland for a week for work - so I have zero clue about the place and no one I know has been there - and I simply don't trust online reviews as most I find are paid.

Also please excuse any spelling and grammar mistakes. All this typed from iPhone and not proofed.

Good luck folks. Have fun.

Oh and Pitt still sucks.

Ekrub
03-22-2017, 05:22 AM
Wait, West Virginia isn't filled with 2 million Jesco Whites? Outrageous...

The real test of your civility, please answer:

Huggy Bear or Larry Gagosian?

TexasZagFan
03-22-2017, 05:32 AM
I've been reading and posting here about 5 days now. Not once have I seen any "redneck" or "hillbilly" crap comments.

Just general basketball knowledge and - of course - reasons why everyone thinks thier beloved team will win. Which is not only expected but dang near required to be a fan. And GU's fan base should be confident after the year it has had coupled with a few NBA first rounders and one of the best coaches in the nation. Not to mention its lofty rankings in ALL metrics. Needless to say it's impressive that GU fans are educated enough to research our players names and know strengths/weaknesses etc. FYI - Adrian had a really bad wrist (left) and that's why his shooting has been garbage since January. Needless to say I want the winner of this same to WIN IT ALL!!!! And sadly it seems -according to most metrics - this game will have the highest quality matchup - as in the combined ranking of WVU and GU is lower than any other game - by a lot. I think 1 and 6, or 2 and 7 or a total of 7-9. Ken Pom maybe 1 and 4 currently.

But getting back to the comments - the sPitts, ULs, ACC in general and honestly a lot of the XII's (mainly KU who is apparently jealous of us poor folks out east) broken hillybilly comments are tiresome. We have heard it all our life. And yes, we have heard them all - no we do "f" our sisters, we do wear shoes, and have teeth. We do, however, love our hot dogs, pepperoni rolls, fine bourbon, whitewater, mountains, and most important our Mountaineers. We do get a bit roudy and burn a couch or fifty from time to time. We do get offended easily when people trash the State. We do feel like we don't get respect in - well - anything. Heck half the time (or more) people don't even know West Virginia is its own state and not Western Virginia - im serious - we have heard MANY ESPN - ABC- CBS announcers say WVU and UVA in a battle for state bragging rights. Or WVU goes head to head with in-state rival VT for star DB. 100% serious. The best was when we play smaller VA schools and hear I'm sure the kids from James Madison Univ. are tired of hearing about the big in state schools national rankings. Come'on man!

I've literally been in WV all 37 years of my life except for 7 when I was at "the" OSU for undergrad - FYI I HATE the Buckeyes - and Univ. of Dayton for Law School - i do cheer for the Flyers when they are on which is rare only 3.5 hours away. But I've been die hard WVU all my life. And the only reason I didn't go to undergrad there was because I was smart enough to know that all my friends were going there and I'd be partying with them all the time and probably fail out. And Columbus was only three hours away.

So it's really nice to come to a board for a solid week and not see ANY of that crap. I really appreciate that. As JFK once said "[t]he sun doesn't always shine on West Virginia, but its people do."

I'm retiring until game time. Got a lot going on next two days. Those ambulances aren't gonna chase them self, ya know.

Lastly if anyone is ever out this way I'd be offended if they didn't contact me for personal reccomendarions on things to do, see, eat, drink, etc. Open to any questions wvlawyer@icloud.com is the "unofficial email". WV is actually an awesome place to visit. We roll out the red carpet for outta towners. And despite our apparent change into a "red" state (don't get me started) - all kinds are welcome here. As all money is green to us and spends the same.

Lastly if anyone has been to the Willamette Valley in Oregon please email me. My wife is obcessed with its Pinos and I want to take her there in June for a suprise bday gift. I've only been to Oregon once and that was Portland for a week for work - so I have zero clue about the place and no one I know has been there - and I simply don't trust online reviews as most I find are paid.

Also please excuse any spelling and grammar mistakes. All this typed from iPhone and not proofed.

Oh and Pitt still sucks.

Great post, good luck to your Mountaineers. I look forward to including WV on my next trip to the East Coast. Never been there, one of the many states I haven't visited.

Yes, the pino from the Willamette is world class (I was born near there), but Oregon has several other viticultural regions beyond the Willamette that are great, too.

If you ever make it to the Lone Star State, PM me. There are quite a few places to visit for great wine and friendly people.

Dahlaw
03-22-2017, 05:35 AM
'Tis of no bother the question; as the answer, is always, Huggy Bear.

Hugs would be the man most men would want their sons to play for and the man most mothers would want their sons to learn from.

He's not PC. Hasn't ever been and never will be. He likes his crown - with a splash of .... crown. Because he's no cheerleader. He uses the F bomb more than a drunk feminist at a trump rally. He|| he's given himself a heart attack because of his lifestyle. He rubbed some dirt on it and went out recuiting.

He yells. He screams. He gets in players faces and undressed them in front of 15-20-30k people. Doesn't matter. Doesn't do it to hurt them. Only to help. And because he knows they are better than that.

He's simply the man, the myth and the legend here and always will be.

He came "home" at a time we needed it most. Rich Rod had just left to Michigan, and Four months later John Belien followed him to Ann Arbor. We had a no name head football coach and no BBall coach.

In come Huggs. A name everyone across the county knew. To us. For us. We didn't deserve it, but appreciate it. He works hard and demand the same from his players. He takes them to coal mines and teaches them about the blue collar state and demands they play that way.

Dahlaw
03-22-2017, 05:36 AM
My brother lives in Houston. I was down for the UT football game in November. Fun place.

Sarenyon
03-22-2017, 06:04 AM
Was in Morgantown to watch the Zags play the Mountaineers a few years back with my boys. Great venue and a real knowledgeable fan base. People were actually very welcoming of an away team fan coming to watch a game, except for the dirty looks we got from a cute 4yr old, who could not believe someone would root for someone besides her Mountaineers. Everyone says how hostile the WVU crowds can get, and I believe it for old Big East and now Big 12 rivalries - but for me and the 20 or so other Zag fans in the building - is was a great experience. Of course it helped that we won that game and Karno had a huge game with a double-double. Thanks for stopping by the board.

LongIslandZagFan
03-22-2017, 08:11 AM
So long as people come here and don't troll... we have no problems with others posting here. Some come here and stick around. Don't be a stranger... feel free to come back any time... or feel the need to even leave. :)

Zagger
03-22-2017, 09:16 AM
This is the worst I've gotten on the Mountaineers ..... To get a 'Mountaineer' graphic to pilfer I searched Google images for "Davey Crocket clipart" - then did some Photoshoping. Feel free to pass it on to any fellow Mountaineers :)

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatWV.png

jim77
03-22-2017, 09:21 AM
"Misty taste of moonshine teardrops in my eyes"

Beautiful scenery and a bunch of blue collars....best of luck to the mountaineers.

gonzagafan62
03-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Good luck to your mountaineers. I know you hear hillbillies (which isn't cool) and we hear weak conference (also not cool)

Glad someone can put that past then and actually talk basketball.

Zags_Fanatic
03-22-2017, 09:50 AM
We get the same kind of disrespect in the WCC. Because they can't talk trash about what happens on the court we get to hear about how much better Malbu, San Diego and San Francisco are vs. Spokane. Can't argue the point too much, but Spokane has it's own blue collar charm the same way I imagine West Virginia does.

Nothing but respect for West Virginia and there will always be an added respect for P5 programs that are willing to schedule a true home and home like Huggy did 5 years ago.

MontanaCoyote
03-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Oh and Pitt still sucks.

Love your state, really feel for your working folks. Can't get any tougher.

Pull up The Fruit Loop and/or Hood River, Oregon. Amazing area for some of the best fruits, vegetables, flowers, even wine
that Oregon has to offer. Really is a loop drive start/finish in Hood River, or keep going south to Mt. Hood. Late summer and fall best times. Raw Apple Cider to kill for!
Country Roads Take Me Home!

maynard g krebs
03-22-2017, 11:13 AM
I grew up outside Philly. In 1971, on a whim, four of us high school juniors drove out to Morgantown for the regional, as a couple of the Philly Big Five schools were playing there.

Had such a great time (bars there didn't seem to worry about carding kids; if I recall drinking age was 18 then) that four carloads and 17 of us went when they had the regional there again in '72.

Lived in Oregon much of the time since I moved west. If you go, Eugene is a foodie paradise; tons of great food of many nationalities. Coast is just over an hour away and a must day trip; Bandon Dunes, Sea Lion Caves, etc.

And a trip up the Mackenzie River to one of the hot springs would be another must for me. Then on to the town of Sisters for lunch or dinner; incredible views.

katman50
03-22-2017, 11:18 AM

Oh and Pitt still sucks.

I really enjoy you WV folks coming to this board, with your bb knowledge, etc. I live about as far away from Morgantown as one can get, here in Seattle. For some reason, I have always liked WV teams in football and basketball. But have never been to your beautiful state, but look forward to it. Might have to do with my love of family history and genealogy. On my dads side, many of my ancestors came down from Pennsylvania to WV. Hope to get to the area in the next couple of years.

Whenever I think of WV basketball I think of Kevin Pittsnoggle draining 3's in the 2005 run to the Elite 8. As a result, I think of WV as a great 3 point shooting team which they always seem to be. Now they have Hugg's defense to go along with it . Huggins and Tom Izzo are my favorite non-Zag coaches. Wishing you all the best in the future. If you happen to beat the Zags (hope not) will be cheering for your boys to go all the way!