PDA

View Full Version : Bud Withers New blog entry - 'Inside the Zags' Secret Sauce'

Radbooks
03-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Interesting take on the coaches from Bud Withers:

Inside the Zags' Secret Sauce (http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/295060/inside-the-zags-secret-sauce)

A few days before Christmas, on a mostly deserted Gonzaga campus, I ran into Ken Bone, the former Seattle Pacific, Portland State and Washington State head coach. In a brief chat having to do with his special assistant’s role to GU coach Mark Few, Bone stopped me with an observation about the Gonzaga program.

He talked about chemistry and cohesiveness and camaraderie.

But it didn’t have to do with the players.

Most such discussions deal with the roster -- whether players get along, whether they’re unselfish, whether they’re focused first on getting their allotment of shots, whether they’re apt to want to be together off the floor.
Those are vitally important questions. But Bone -- essentially observing and advising in his year with the GU program -- was talking about something entirely different: Chemistry among the coaches.

Zagricultural
03-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Awesomeness!

amaronizag
03-21-2017, 08:54 PM
I've said it several times before, but I'll say it again, I love the contribution Ken Bone has made to this team. Wish he could stay forever. His scouting reports and impacts on the game plan have been obvious. He has contributed greatly to the huge success of this team. Thank you coach Bone!!

MJ777
03-21-2017, 10:35 PM
I've said it several times before, but I'll say it again, I love the contribution Ken Bone has made to this team. Wish he could stay forever. His scouting reports and impacts on the game plan have been obvious. He has contributed greatly to the huge success of this team. Thank you coach Bone!!

I hope he is a wizard at breaking the press.

TexasZagFan
03-22-2017, 05:07 AM

The coaching staff is really going to earn their money this week. 35 hours to game time!

DixieZag
03-22-2017, 06:18 AM
Having extra bodies, if not practice time, will sure be nice.

hockeyzag
03-22-2017, 07:23 AM
I love Bud. He's always sharing a new story or detail about a team I always assume I already know everything about.

Rangerzag
03-22-2017, 08:02 AM
Anyone's ears ringing?

A couple of other components in the shaping of Gonzaga culture have become obvious to Bone. Few, he says, is deft at keeping a finger on the pulse of player emotions and feelings, knowing how to keep them engaged. Sometimes, that means just telling them to stay away from social media, which might be obsessing with the player’s recent shooting slump.

cjm720
03-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Great read