PDA

View Full Version : Projections for 2018 (Spoiler: Zags Gonna Be REAL Good)

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-21-2017, 07:46 PM
We've still got business to take care of this year, but KenPom posted his early top 10 for next year, and the Zags are included.

http://kenpom.com/blog/2018-pre-season-top-ten/

gonzagafan62
03-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks for sharing Goatee. Love it!

gozagswoohoo
03-22-2017, 05:55 AM
No surprise! It's weird that we now just come to expect the zags will be in the Top 25 for the rest of our lives. haha

MileHigh
03-22-2017, 06:30 AM
We've still got business to take care of this year, but KenPom posted his early top 10 for next year, and the Zags are included.

http://kenpom.com/blog/2018-pre-season-top-ten/

Keep in mind that their predictions assume both Collins and NWG are returning, when it appears both are leaving for pro opportunities. Also, it does not take into account potential transfers (both in and out). Not to say Zags wont be real good again, but there is just no way at this point for anyone to be able to predict personnel when kids come out early and transfer with the frequency that they do

gozagswoohoo
03-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Color me fluffy, but I have this crazy feeling that Collins is going to return.

thespywhozaggedme
03-22-2017, 06:49 AM
Keep in mind that their predictions assume both Collins and NWG are returning, when it appears both are leaving for pro opportunities. Also, it does not take into account potential transfers (both in and out). Not to say Zags wont be real good again, but there is just no way at this point for anyone to be able to predict personnel when kids come out early and transfer with the frequency that they do

Yeah, honestly it's so early that the only reason this guy wrote this article was to drive hits to his website.

krozman
03-22-2017, 06:50 AM

It appears that way? I get how you feel unworthy of such talent, but there is nothing guaranteed in such a deep draft talent pool. Is there a guaranteed projected lottery pick in it for either of them on any estimated talking head site out there i'm unaware of?

TexasZagFan
03-22-2017, 06:54 AM
It appears that way? I get how you feel unworthy of such talent, but there is nothing guaranteed in such a deep draft talent pool. Is there a guaranteed projected lottery pick in it for either of them on any estimated talking head site out there i'm unaware of?

I have been casually viewing a few draft sites. Zach appears to be moving up to the mid-20s of the first round, while Nigel's not getting much mention.

Who the heck knows for sure? I saw a 2018 mock draft that had Rui at #8, and Zach at #18.

No matter what, we just need to try and enjoy the remaining games we have. The future will take care of itself.

MileHigh
03-22-2017, 07:15 AM

Unworthy of such talent? I'm not even sure what that means, but from my end all indications are that both want to go to the pros after this season, and it has nothing to do with talking heads on TV.

krozman
03-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Smart kids go pro when they have guaranteed life changing money. That's my point. Another year at GU for either of them could solidify millions for Collins for sure. I dunno, if I'm wrong i'm wrong but every time we've lost a player it was on good reliable advice that they would get substantially paid for such a smart decision.

Zagger
03-22-2017, 08:00 AM
Color me fluffy, but I have this crazy feeling that Collins is going to return.

I'd sure bet on Zach to return. He's let on that he really likes Gonzaga/Few/Team and values how he can develop at GU. Another season would see Zach getting much more floor time / NBA attention. Hard telling what will actually transpire. What I do hate to think about (and love to have happen) is should the Zags win out this year ..... the attention the players would get may generate a lot of NBA interest. Since there is interest in Zach already .....

For Nigel ..... My gut feeling is that this will be his last season as a Zag. From what I remember reading on his goals I think he originally hoped to be in the NBA now via success @ UW. I'd give NWG a 60/40 chance of turning pro after this season right now. Should the Zags win out .... I'd change that to 90/10. Just may opinion though. I'd certainly love to see both guys stick around!

MDABE80
03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
There's been some behind the scenes background talk. Nothing solid. Collins is a worry in this regard. Certainly some people have his ear. We'll have to wait and see. Very young kid. Is he anywhere near as good as Sabonis? I don't see it. But to each hisown.

Nigel is a different issue. He's done most of what he can do here. I don't think the NBA door is quite as open to him. He's good now but he'll be better in another year. Is he at his ceiling? I don't know. He'll decide. I know that he's a very high caliber young man. His influence extends beyond the court.

hockeyzag
03-22-2017, 10:30 AM
I just don't see what else Nigel would have to gain by coming back. From an educational standpoint he's already got his bachelor's and is working on his master's degree. If you look at it from a basketball standpoint he's not suddenly going to become more athletic next year, which I think is his only real weakness as it pertains to the NBA. But if he sees the NBA as his only after-college basketball option I think it's obvious that because of the strength of this year's draft class he certainly would have a better chance next year. Even though it seems like he's pretty much reached his ceiling. It's an interesting situation.

As far as Collins goes, I really think that if he waits a year he could be a lottery pick in 2018. If he works his butt off this summer he could come back as our biggest offensive contributor and our star next year. With more minutes he would surely average a double double if he gets his fouling under control. If he goes after his freshman season he just rides the bench for some NBA team the whole season, and for less money than a lottery player would earn.

If I had to bet, I'd say Nigel goes and Collins stays. But I could see it shaking out any way. Both could stay, both could go.

If they both stay we are scary good next year. Might be our first #1 ranking to start the season. Either way the future is bright for our Zags, and we're a better program for having both players on the team.

I imagine no matter what each decides to do, they will both test the waters.

Pallet
03-22-2017, 10:42 AM
The Ringer had a piece on under the radar (https://theringer.com/six-under-the-radar-nba-prospects-to-watch-in-the-sweet-16-c80bf9c104f#.cy7lvuo6h) (upperclassmen) NBA prospects that discussed NWG. Basically he's seen as a secondary option, similar to Kendall Marshal.

NotoriousZ
03-22-2017, 10:47 AM
Wouldn't it be amazing if after next year we were the only team with four straight trips to the sweet 16?

And three out of four elete 8's with back-to-back national championships I suppose would also be pretty cool.

hockeyzag
03-22-2017, 11:09 AM
And three out of four elete 8's with back-to-back national championships I suppose would also be pretty cool.

:roll: Yeah I think I'd be cool with that.

MontanaCoyote
03-22-2017, 12:21 PM
I just don't see what else Nigel would have to gain by coming back. From an educational standpoint he's already got his bachelor's and is working on his master's degree. If you look at it from a basketball standpoint he's not suddenly going to become more athletic next year, which I think is his only real weakness as it pertains to the NBA. But if he sees the NBA as his only after-college basketball option I think it's obvious that because of the strength of this year's draft class he certainly would have a better chance next year. Even though it seems like he's pretty much reached his ceiling. It's an interesting situation.

As far as Collins goes, I really think that if he waits a year he could be a lottery pick in 2018. If he works his butt off this summer he could come back as our biggest offensive contributor and our star next year. With more minutes he would surely average a double double if he gets his fouling under control. If he goes after his freshman season he just rides the bench for some NBA team the whole season, and for less money than a lottery player would earn.

If I had to bet, I'd say Nigel goes and Collins stays. But I could see it shaking out any way. Both could stay, both could go.

If they both stay we are scary good next year. Might be our first #1 ranking to start the season. Either way the future is bright for our Zags, and we're a better program for having both players on the team.

I remember now that Dicki V gave NWG some advice recently; stay in school one more year.

Just guessing, like all the rest, but I think they'll both stay.

Ekrub
03-22-2017, 01:18 PM
This doesn't take into consideration fews nba departure.

sittingon50
03-22-2017, 02:02 PM

And Tommy emigrating to Europe.

MDABE80
03-22-2017, 02:06 PM

I think Nigel would be more marketable at 45% 3 pt shooting or his present 37% 3 pt shooting.? There's the difference . Plus his ball handling hasn't looked so spiffy in the last few games. He oculd use another yer to excell. He's got siz and a nice wingspan. He just needs a few things and I do think his NBA aspirations would come true. He's just not there yet. Plus he's a hell of a wonderful kid. Good for the team and, really, good for everyone. He reps the university as well as anyone outside of Pangos;)

Mr Vulture
03-22-2017, 02:32 PM
I would think that Collins is much more likely to go to the NBA this year than NWG. I haven't even seen a mock draft that has NWG as being drafted, granted that doesn't mean he would be taken in the 2nd round. I expect both to declare for the draft, without an agent, and go from there. I do think Collins would be a first rounder this year if he declared but I also agree that if he took a year to get stronger he could be in the Top 10 picks next year.

ZAG 4 LIFE
03-22-2017, 09:54 PM

Can Bigfoot's baby play the point? :confused:

ZagaZags
03-22-2017, 11:00 PM
Can Bigfoot's baby play the point? :confused:

247 Sports has him as a top prospect.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/el_den/teenwolf-fullview.jpg

Scout has him as a 4 star.