PDA

View Full Version : Coach in Waiting? How long will Tommy wait? Longer than the 'Cuse successor?

75Zag
03-21-2017, 07:29 PM
I do not intend this post to be particularly controversial, but I am hopeful of an interesting discussion. 'Cuse made Hopkins the official successor to Boeheim but for some reason Hopkins bailed to Washington (aka Harvard of the West). I do not know whether the GU Athletic Director has made a statement that Tommy Lloyd is Few's official successor, but most of us assume that when Few is gone, Tommy will replace him. I have been at my job at the same firm for about 39 years and during that time I have seen many very high quality young people come and go, mostly because they wanted to rise more quickly in their profession than they thought they could at my organization.
Is there some sort of "outer limit" on how long Tommy Lloyd is going to be willing to remain as the loyal side-kick to Mark Few before he starts to consider the options for himself and his family? 5 years? 10 years? 15 years? 20 years? Other? I respect Tommy Lloyd's loyalty, but as a businessman I have to believe there is some limit on his willingness to stick around.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

MDABE80
03-21-2017, 07:38 PM
" I do not intend this post to be particularly controversial, but ............." well......here we go.........

U Zig, I Zag
03-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Is it Thursday yet?;)

75Zag
03-21-2017, 07:47 PM
" I do not intend this post to be particularly controversial, but ............." well......here we go.........

Abe, as I recall, you, like me, have managed young professionals. Is there some sort of breaking point or "outer limit" on how long your young professional staff stayed around based upon the suggestion (or promise) that "someday" they would become the top dogs at your organization?

I have no idea how things work in the NCAA coaching world. When I started out as a baby lawyer loyalty was the utmost concern - which might explain why I have worked at the same place for 39 years.

These days, it seems as if loyalty and $5.50 will buy you a bad cup of coffee.

gonzagafan62
03-21-2017, 07:49 PM
As I recall, you, like me, have managed young professionals. Is there some sort of breaking point or "outer limit" on how long your young professional staff stayed around based upon the suggestion (or promise) that "someday" they would become the top dogs at your organization?

I have no idea how things work in the NCAA coaching world. When I started out as a baby lawyer loyalty was the utmost concern - which might explain why I have worked at the same place for 39 years.

That last line about the coffee is classic 75.

Cheers!

Zagger
03-22-2017, 07:14 AM
On 60 Minutes this past weekend was a story about happiness in regards to living and working in Denmark - supposedly the happiest country in the world. If you watched it, it may have an answer to the question regarding Tommy.

My own thoughts regarding Tommy/Few, etc. is/are ..... why leave? If one likes what they are doing, doesn't figure the almighty $ as being a big factor and gets lots of satisfaction in their work/position ..... sticking around pals, relatives, etc. or heading for someplace that has a lot of unknowns - why? It really depends on what a person values. Few and Tommy have really helped GU develop a fine program and that work still continues - the development part. Maybe when they feel they can no longer help GU grow they'll bolt???? Or, they just might up and retire and retain ties to GU. Time to Few and Tommy may be way more valuable than money - and I suspect that they are compensated well for what they do.

SWZag
03-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Not everyone is chasing the dollar or the 15 minutes of fame. A coach isn't a failure if they stay an assistance their entire career. While they may not get the recognition or the better pay, they play a very important role. Some enjoy the supporting role, and that's completely fine.

Zaga
03-22-2017, 07:26 AM
I think Tommy is doing just fine where he is. He is building quite a resume while enjoying the fruits of his recruiting labor and overall success at Gonzaga.

Go Zag's....beat the press and put a boot on the neck of WVU!

mgadfly
03-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Somebody posted an article a few days ago about Lloyd and in it he said he owed it to himself and his family to consider offers. That doesn't sound like someone that will never leave.

He could get a great offer this year, but every year he sticks it out I think increases the odds that he stays on until Few retires/moves on. But, Tommy Lloyd is 42 years old and Mark Few is 54. Few could coach for another 10 years easy. Could be 20 years. If Few wants to stay at GU for another decade or two, Lloyd (who clearly wants to be a head coach and deserves the opportunity) should probably pick his spot and take a head coaching job where he thinks he can be successful. I bet the biggest factor is his conversations with Few (even above discussions with his wife if he is honest) as waiting a decade or two (more) to get your shot is longer than most anyone would wait. If Few is saying he is retiring at age 58, maybe Tommy sticks it out. If it is 68, I think he has to make a move sooner than that.

gueastcoast
03-22-2017, 07:41 AM
Well, my buddy told me...

...sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I know I am better than this. Just a combination of giddy and punch-drunk from March Madness I guess.

See you in San Jose!

Zagceo
03-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Boeheim's shadow was/is gonna lay some big time shade on his successor......ties to Syracuse go back to his freshmen year 1962...55 years. JB office will always be there and much bigger would be my guess.

Tommy is part of Few's shade IMO.......he could leave and come back if Few decides to stay another 10 years IMHO

ZagsGoZags
03-22-2017, 07:54 AM
let's pay Tommy so much he can't leave
his salary is a true 'investment' in the program in every sense of the word.
It is obvious that paying huge salaries for coaches does not always translate into finding great players overseas. Tommy has a service in that dept. that would cost at least double to try to replace.
where is there a better spend dollar for the zags?
just my two cents.
Hey there is no 'cents' key on modern keyboards! There sure was when I took typing back in high school.

ZagsObserver
03-22-2017, 07:55 AM
Tommy would likely leave if he got a good offer. His name has never seriously been in the mix for a good gig.

LongIslandZagFan
03-22-2017, 08:06 AM
Tommy gets to travel the world... seems to be a rock star in Europe... is paid well for Spokane... and seems genuinely happy. I can respect him for not necessarily chasing the $.

jazzdelmar
03-22-2017, 08:19 AM
I don't know anything except that GU should give the whole staff a sizable raise this year.......

Zaga
03-22-2017, 08:41 AM
I don't anything except that GU should give the whole staff a sizable raise this year.......

Definitely deserve it...

SWZag
03-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Somebody posted an article a few days ago about Lloyd and in it he said he owed it to himself and his family to consider offers. That doesn't sound like someone that will never leave.

He could get a great offer this year, but every year he sticks it out I think increases the odds that he stays on until Few retires/moves on. But, Tommy Lloyd is 42 years old and Mark Few is 54. Few could coach for another 10 years easy. Could be 20 years. If Few wants to stay at GU for another decade or two, Lloyd (who clearly wants to be a head coach and deserves the opportunity) should probably pick his spot and take a head coaching job where he thinks he can be successful. I bet the biggest factor is his conversations with Few (even above discussions with his wife if he is honest) as waiting a decade or two (more) to get your shot is longer than most anyone would wait. If Few is saying he is retiring at age 58, maybe Tommy sticks it out. If it is 68, I think he has to make a move sooner than that.

Maybe you can expand on this and explain how you see that he clearly wants to be a head coach? Would be insightful.

coolhandzag
03-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Have run my own firm for 12+ years.....probably only a fraction of what some on the board have done, but I have learned plenty. There is more to happiness then $ & perceived power / responsibility. However, those two elements seem to have been the driving factor of many I have employed. I also believe that motivation to "stay" or "leave" is different for each person.

Before being an owner my first job out of school was far and away my favorite, and it was the one a made the least money. Again far and away. It had to do with the people I was with and the geographic location.

I think Tommy is far more enlightened and self aware then I was. How long does he stay? Easy. As long as it takes.

Zagricultural
03-22-2017, 11:19 AM
I really can't see him leaving at this point. I will be shocked if Few is still coaching after 60. His kids are in school, He is the coach in waiting at a top-ten program he built, and they are having a great time & winning. If I was Tommy I would simply ask for another raise and stay, but maybe he has an itch he needs to scratch now. Odds are he will never again have a job he loves as much as this one or a program that gives him this kind of support. That's my $.02

CDC84
03-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Few will not be coaching nearly as long as Boeheim has. He's said so himself.

mgadfly
03-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Maybe you can expand on this and explain how you see that he clearly wants to be a head coach? Would be insightful.

Just his comments in the interview from the other day and things he's said at alumni events. If someone says they owe it to themselves to explore the possibilities of becoming a head coach somewhere, I think that clearly implies a desire to be the head guy if the opportunity is right. Otherwise, I think the answer is, "I'm not interested." Even being made the coach in waiting is evidence that becoming a head coach is meaningful to him (otherwise, why offer it to him if all he wants is to be an assistant?). Plus, I think most assistant coaches want the opportunity to run the show at some point, especially since most of them come from a competitive sports background.

I hope that he stays, but I don't think he'd stay because he isn't interested in becoming a head coach. I think he'd stay because the offers out there don't provide a great enough opportunity for success, or takes him away from a great situation at GU (which includes how long he thinks Few is going to be around).

amaronizag
03-22-2017, 03:39 PM
I have a plan. Few agrees to stay as head coach till he's 60, 6 more years, then Few becomes the assistant coach and Tommy becomes the head coach for the rest of his career, 15 years or so. Few can stay in coaching as long as he wants, progressively passing on more responsibilities to the newer guys. Few's kids will be grown up so he fishes more, travels to Europe with Marcy and recruits, until he's so old and feeble he can't remember the plays and just doesn't feel like coming into the gym any more. I'm good with that.

MickMick
03-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Even if Tommy leaves, there is a good chance he fills the void when Few retires.

JPtheBeasta
03-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Abe, as I recall, you, like me, have managed young professionals. Is there some sort of breaking point or "outer limit" on how long your young professional staff stayed around based upon the suggestion (or promise) that "someday" they would become the top dogs at your organization?

Do you defend or prosecute babies?

willandi
03-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Have run my own firm for 12+ years.....probably only a fraction of what some on the board have done, but I have learned plenty. There is more to happiness then $ & perceived power / responsibility. However, those two elements seem to have been the driving factor of many I have employed. I also believe that motivation to "stay" or "leave" is different for each person.

Before being an owner my first job out of school was far and away my favorite, and it was the one a made the least money. Again far and away. It had to do with the people I was with and the geographic location.

I think Tommy is far more enlightened and self aware then I was. How long does he stay? Easy. As long as it takes.

I keep threatening to quit my job and strike out on my own. My wife says not to bother coming home if I'm not gonna work for her! LOL

WallaWallaZag
03-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Do you defend or prosecute babies?

LOL :lmao: