• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kong-Kool-Aid
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

Talking Heads: Randy Bennett to Cal?

Discussed on the radio for about 20 minutes today...

What do we think? Does he go?

If he goes does that spell the end of relevance for Saint Mary's in the WCC? Do they become Pepperdine?
  • JAGzag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

I think SMC takes a huge step backwards without Bennett; they haven't built the brand name that GU has. Isn't he their pipeline to the Aussie recruiting pool? That team is nothing without that talent!

Comment

• Zag_Dad
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
      http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com...oaching-search

Discussed on the radio for about 20 minutes today...

What do we think? Does he go?

If he goes does that spell the end of relevance for Saint Mary's in the WCC? Do they become Pepperdine?

I really hope he stays with SMC. I'd hate to see SMC become "just another WCC" team. Gonzaga needs someone in conference to help our strength of schedule and keep the team sharp. As much sh!t as we take right now for playing in a "truck stop conference", imagine what it would be like if we didn't have SMC.

I hope he stays and that the rest of our conference steps it up too.

GO ZAGS

Comment

• SWZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

The Cal job was open 3-4 years ago (Prior to Martin) and he either didn't take it or wasn't sought after. Either way, what makes this time different?

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by SWZag View Post
          The Cal job was open 3-4 years ago (Prior to Martin) and he either didn't take it or wasn't sought after. Either way, what makes this time different?
          his constant beat down by the zags?
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Also, is Cal willing to pay him what he is worth? 1.5 mil per year won't cut it. It's been tried. Someone needs to cut a check he absolutely can't refuse.

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Can he do both? The schools are fairly close! At least in miles apart! LOL
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• basketballzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

There have been three coaches at Cal since 2001 and Cal really hasn't been relevant in basketball since the 1960s. This would not be the wisest career move for Randy.

Comment

• webspinnre
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                  Also, is Cal willing to pay him what he is worth? 1.5 mil per year won't cut it. It's been tried. Someone needs to cut a check he absolutely can't refuse.
                  Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                  There have been three coaches at Cal since 2001 and Cal really hasn't been relevant in basketball since the 1960s. This would not be the wisest career move for Randy.
                  These seem like the two most obvious issues to me as well. What kind of resources are they going to give him? Yes, it's a step up from SMC, but how much of a step up?
                  I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• 77Zag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2007

Any idea what he is making at SMC? Is he making $1.5 in Gaeltown?
                    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• Gonzdb8
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

it makes sense that cal would make an offer although i'd think his preference would be to follow coach fews lead and stay where he's at. but i think it all depends on whether or not smc is willing to back up the money truck and match whatever offer cal throws out there. might be a good litmus test on just how committed smc is to building their program into a national power.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2008

being a Cal alum, I would dig Bennett at Cal, but that would be a blow to the WCC and the Zags. I could go either way on this one. Cal's been relevant since 1960, see Jason Kidd and Lamond Murray, other teams too. Of course Bozeman's tenure ended in disaster.......

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 77Zag View Post
                          Any idea what he is making at SMC? Is he making $1.5 in Gaeltown?
                          He's not making 1.5 mil in Gael town, but he has proven (see UNLV last offseason) that that kind of money isn't going to lure him. Someone has to step up and double it at the very least. Especially if he's going to a place like Cal, who as someone said previously, has had some big name players but not a huge amount of basketball success in recent times.

See, Randy B. has all the cards in his hands. It's not like he has to leave SMC right now. The program wins every year. He's not like the typical "mid major" coach who must strike while the iron is hot (for instance: a young coach at a MAC school coming off a sweet 16 appearance) to get a BCS job.

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

If Bennett goes to Cal, SMC can bring Romar back to the WCC.
                            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• gaels87
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Feb 2009

He's not making 1.5 mil in Gael town, but he has proven (see UNLV last offseason) that that kind of money isn't going to lure him. Someone has to step up and double it at the very least. Especially if he's going to a place like Cal, who as someone said previously, has had some big name players but not a huge amount of basketball success in recent times.

See, Randy B. has all the cards in his hands. It's not like he has to leave SMC right now. The program wins every year. He's not like the typical "mid major" coach who must strike while the iron is hot (for instance: a young coach at a MAC school coming off a sweet 16 appearance) to get a BCS job.

Bennett isn't making anywhere near $1.5, but he has turned down $1M+ a few times, Utah after we went to the Sweet 16 and UNLV last year. I think if he is ever going to jump, this is the year and if he doesn't, he will be at SMC until retirement. The best thing SMC has going for it, is Cal is an absolute mess right now, both athletically and budget wise & the cupboard is bare in regards to the team. At SMC, he will surly have another tourney team on his hands + a renovated facility. IF he decides to leave, I think we will be fine. The Bennett coaching tree is pretty solid now, and there are a few good candidates on staff (David Carter, former Reno head coach) and Aussie Marty Clarke. We could also go after K. Smith, Eran Ganot (Hawaii) or Rick Croy at Cal Baptist.

Comment

Working...
                              X