PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga is an elite basketball program.

Reborn
03-20-2017, 04:03 PM
I have spent a lot of time the last few years getting used to the fact that our team is now an elite team. Some fans of the game, and even some analysts have believed this for awhile. But it has taken me some time to get used to it. We were the Cinderella team for so long. We were the Little Engine that Could for at least a generation. That was my favorite description of the Zags for a long time. Everyone used to pull for us. I think we became Elite when fans and analysts began to hate us. Even though we are a mid-major University there is nothing Mid-anything about the Zags now days. The one thing the Zags haven't done yet is make it to the Final Four, and so many believe that this just might be the year.

So Gonzaga from now on must begin to expect that crowds at the games in the NCAA Tournament will not be pulling for them like they used to. Most fans of March Madness love this tournament because there are so many upsets, and there is something about this.....people just love to see the little guys win. And certainly every year the mid-majors don't let the nation down. Every year there are a ton of upsets. It's just crazy when we fill out our brackets, and the brackets often become the focal point of the tournament. Which teams will be those who upset those Elite programs. It's impossible for me to figure it all out, but like you I sure have fun doing it, and as much fun when those upset hounds knock out a Big Dog. I've done better this year. Finally.

So I'm sure that many thousand of fans will bet West Virginia knocks out the Zags. But there are also thousands who will pick us to win. We know what many of the ESPN analysts think, but what do they know. After their predictions of the first two rounds who would ever believe anything they say. I refuse to listen to them now. What ever they say is just hot air. There are a few whom I know do believe in Gonzaga, but I don't here much from them. I prefer CBS analysts over ESPN by 80%. And I"m so thankful that this Tournament is hosted by CBS.

I can hardly wait for the games this week. I believe Gonzaga is the better team and that they will prove that this week. I'm not saying this as a Gonzaga fan, although I am. I'm saying that as a basketball fan who feels he knows a little about the game. OK I know you're all laughing now, so I'll shut up. See ya along the Road of Happy Destiny.

Go Zags!!!

bartruff1
03-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA have won numerous National Championships....now UCLA has not won a NC lately, but they have won 11 of them, so they get a lifetime achievement reward.....

I would not include Gonzaga in that group, but it doesn't matter to me what you call them...they are one of 16 teams left with a chance to advance to the Elite Eight...

UCLAgraduate
03-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Make a final four and no one will ever take umbrage with this notion again.

willandi
03-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA have won numerous National Championships....now UCLA has not won a NC lately, but they have won 11 of them, so they get a lifetime achievement reward.....

I would not include Gonzaga in that group, but it doesn't matter to me what you call them...they are one of 16 teams left with a chance to advance to the Elite Eight...

Which of those blue blood teams is afraid, or unwilling, to schedule a home and home, or neutral/neutral series? If they are unwilling to schedule the Zags, it appears that they know they stand a chance of being beat. If they stand a chance of being beat, the Zags are pretty close to the same level.

I know, I know, but the Zags are a powerhouse football team, based on a while ago. UCLA would not have beaten the Zags in the show if the officials had called all the hacking on JP Batista. There is absolutely no way he wasn't fouled multiple times. If those teams need the officials help to beat the Zags, they are pretty close to the same level.

Call them elite or not, they are pretty close to the same level, but make the FF and the points are moot.

kitzbuel
03-22-2017, 12:04 PM

I think the gist of Reborn's thought is that GU is no longer a lovable underdog, but is now more likely to be rooted against. The casual fan is more likely to root for WVU than GU. That is a big change from even 5 years ago. Basically, Reborn is saying we have arrived because we are hated (largely out of jealousy). Just another step on the continuing journey to excellence.

bartruff1
03-22-2017, 12:21 PM
" hated" ........this has become a internet term that has lost any real meaning....criticism is not hate...analysis is not hate

I have no intention of researching it, but I suspect that Gonzaga is one of the most admired programs in the country.

Those teams are not going to play a home and home against Gonzaga, for the simple reason they have nothing to gain and something to lose. Making a FF will not put Gonzaga in their class...iMHO of course

BayAreaZagFan
03-22-2017, 12:52 PM
I agree that we're not quite there yet, but we're definitely in the conversation. When the subject of the missed/bad calls and games being "fixed" came up, I overheard one guy say, "The big-boys will always get the calls - North Carolina, Duke, Gonzaga. The refs won't let them lose because of who they are." I totally disagreed with his theory, but I also totally took him lumping Gonzaga in with North Carolina and Duke as a compliment.

I was talking with another person (mid-20's) and he couldn't even conceive of a time when Gonzaga wasn't considered a program that most fans wished their team could be like. He asked me when was the last time the Zags were in the Final Four - at first, I thought he was trying to talk smack, but then I realized that he just assumed that had happened because the team has been so consistently good for so long.

bartruff1
03-22-2017, 01:01 PM
It is a matter of opinion, I am not aware of a definition for Elite Basketball Programs.....

Butler made it to 2 consecutive NC games, a remarkable achievement, but I wouldn't consider them Elite.....

Wichita State has had great success, but they are not in that class.... it would help if they could beat Kentucky when they get a chance...!!! :D

willandi
03-22-2017, 01:08 PM
It is a matter of opinion, I am not aware of a definition for Elite Basketball Programs.....

Butler made it to 2 consecutive NC games, a remarkable achievement, but I wouldn't consider them Elite.....

Wichita State has had great success, but they are not in that class.... it would help if they could beat Kentucky when they get a chance...!!! :D

Dancing for 19 straight years is a good start!

stevet75
03-22-2017, 01:12 PM
" hated" ........this has become a internet term that has lost any real meaning....criticism is not hate...analysis is not hate

I have no intention of researching it, but I suspect that Gonzaga is one of the most admired programs in the country.

Those teams are not going to play a home and home against Gonzaga, for the simple reason they have nothing to gain and something to lose. Making a FF will not put Gonzaga in their class...iMHO of course

You can be admired and still be hated, although I do agree hate is an overused term. I believe our program is admired, but a lot, if not most, of college basketball fans would like to see the Zags lose. It confirms their misplaced beliefs that the Zags are only there because of a weak conference.

gonzagafan62
03-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Gonzaga definitely has earned its way into the top 15 basketball programs. Top 10, top 5 are extremely hard to get to.

Not only that but sustain success. Look at UCONN who ended up in a weak conference like AAC.... they can't dominate that conference even with their 3 titles. They have zero, count em ZERO NBA players on their team right now. Zero. That's how far they've fallen.

bartruff1
03-22-2017, 01:36 PM
You can be admired and still be hated, although I do agree hate is an overused term. I believe our program is admired, but a lot, if not most, of college basketball fans would like to see the Zags lose. It confirms their misplaced beliefs that the Zags are only there because of a weak conference.

I would have to see a scientific poll to that effect.....I have zero confidence that social media or comments on some web page reflect anything representative of the public or a segment of the public ...self assigning is not scientific and usually represents someone with a ax to grind..

Calfan24
03-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Good point from my buddy, how much longer will Gonzaga be elite after Few goes to the NBA?

Calfan24
03-22-2017, 01:39 PM
Good point from my buddy, how much longer will Gonzaga be elite after Few goes to the NBA?
I mean think about it

jazzdelmar
03-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Kansas, Indiana, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky are a cut above, the bluest of the blue bloods, the Ivy League of CBB. The next tier has MSU, the Ville, UCONN, Cuse, Nova, et al. The Zags are junior members in waiting of this 2d tier.

sittingon50
03-22-2017, 02:10 PM
I mean think about it

I did.

Heavy, man.

MDABE80
03-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Pretty true Jazz. GU is not elite just yet. I'm thinking another 10 years of Swt 16's or better with a few AA's strewn along the way. Zags must become common in parlance. We have a ways to even IF we won a title. I hope I'm around to see it. Parenthetically, Few been offered an NBA job and he'll be offered plum jobs in the D1 ranks. Remember too........he's paid well and he'll get more. Just maybe he's already in a plum job. Maybe he likes his job.

Usually people like the job that they're good at. He does. I think he's a classic. I hope he sticks around.
I do think Tommy would be fine to continue the program just as it is. BUT Tommy could not run off to Europe on a moments' notice to recruit. Synergy is important in the coaching and administrative ranks. As long as everyone is getting paid well, why should anything change??

Just beat WEST VIRGINIA!

gueastcoast
03-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Is this like a bot or something? I'm not a tech guy but the use of "my buddy" in every post, along with every post (irrespective of thread topic) being about some bullsh1t rumor that literally nobody else is talking about...is this like what the Russians did to the DNC?

Zagdawg
03-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Is this the guy feeding you the information?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJDg2g1COyc

gueastcoast
03-22-2017, 02:40 PM

LOL I needed that. Classic ~

Calfan24
03-22-2017, 04:35 PM

No that's not him, I can't name names but let's just say he is very well connected in the Zags athletic department. I know there is skepticism but I guarantee you this story is legit. You will know more very soon, as soon as the season is over (if not earlier). Hopefully that won't be until after the final four but with all the distractions these types of things can create, you never know what type of impact it could have on the players' focus this weekend in San Jose.

Markburn1
03-22-2017, 04:51 PM
No that's not him, I can't name names but let's just say he is very well connected in the Zags athletic department. I know there is skepticism but I guarantee you this story is legit. You will know more very soon, as soon as the season is over (if not earlier). Hopefully that won't be until after the final four but with all the distractions these types of things can create, you never know what type of impact it could have on the players' focus this weekend in San Jose.

Yeah? Well I've been wiretapped. You'll know more very soon. I promise.

hegotit!
03-22-2017, 04:59 PM
I'm not really into the NBA, but is there even any teams without a coach right now? No coaches have been fired that I can recall. Your definitely just a troll.

gueastcoast
03-22-2017, 05:43 PM
Say good night, Calfan24.

sittingon50
03-22-2017, 06:43 PM

Someone in the Few family has told me that Mark will do the pregame interview with TBS just outside the locker room while the team is out on the floor warming up, & then sneak out the back door & be whisked away to a secret location in Marin County to meet with his Agent, David Stern.

kitzbuel
03-22-2017, 09:16 PM

Maybe not hated, but here in ACC land it is grudging admiration.