PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine and Lollipops...

former1dog
03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
aren't popular on this board, but they ought to be.

By that I mean thats its sad for me, as a long time fan to come to the board after our guys just made yet another Sweet 16 and find all the angst. Not much joy around these parts.

We're collectively spoiled!

Its important, IMHO, to realize that this board isn't dedicated to following a professional sports team. We're following Gonzaga University Basketball. The players are young, college students. Most of whom are going through this experience for the very first time and hopefully loving every moment of it. In the blink of an eye, they'll all be gone onto their careers, what ever that might be, and remembering fondly their college days at Gonzaga, just like a lot of us.

They don't owe us anything. Yet we all get immeasurable joy from their efforts in the brief time they are at our beloved school.

Cut them some slack, enjoy the ride.

maynard g krebs
03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
I was going to start a similar thread, but this one's good.

Mine was titled "It's all gravy from here'. The Zags started the season ranked somewhere in the teens, minus their two superstars from the season before, and with 5 new players in the 8 man rotation.

Most people I think predicted around a 4 loss regular season, and they far surpassed that. Expectations have risen with their success, but in the tourney they have already achieved what was expected of them before the season started. That's why it's all gravy from here, and I'll be overjoyed with each win, but not gonna ##### about a loss.

gonstu
03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Thanks f1d.

In all of college basketball here is a list of the programs that have been to at least the sweet 16 the last 3 years in a row ( I didn't spend tons of time researching so please correct me if I'm off on this) :

Wisconsin
North Carolina
Gonzaga

That's it. Great job Zags! Hoping to cross that next hurdle this year, but it will be tough.

Worthington
03-20-2017, 12:29 PM
It's good to put things in perspective.

As a group, I think Gonzaga fans are a bit more on edge than most. I think a lot of the angst comes from wanting to put all the doubt to rest. We know how good are teams have been, and even though it's not fair, it feels like there's a weight on the shoulders of this program that isn't going to be lifted until we make a final four.

Making three straight Sweet Sixteen's is an amazing accomplishment and I feel lucky to be a part of that ride. I would have been really disappointed losing to Northwestern, but won't feel any shame going down to West Virginia. They are a top 15 team that's capable of beating anybody on a good day. Great season up to this point, let's keep it going!

MickMick
03-20-2017, 12:35 PM
More finger wagging.

What is the cost of a scholarship these days?

MontanaCoyote
03-20-2017, 12:38 PM

By that I mean thats its sad for me, as a long time fan to come to the board after our guys just made yet another Sweet 16 and find all the angst. Not much joy around these parts.

Its important, IMHO, to realize that this board isn't dedicated to following a professional sports team. We're following Gonzaga University Basketball. The players are young, college students. Most of whom are going through this experience for the very first time and hopefully loving every moment of it. In the blink of an eye, they'll all be gone onto their careers, what ever that might be, and remembering fondly their college days at Gonzaga, just like a lot of us.

They don't owe us anything. Yet we all get immeasurable joy from their efforts in the brief time they are at our beloved school.

Right On! I'm beginning to think that it's our older posters that are more likely to have this more positive mindset, having gone through so many up's and down's in our lives that we know when times are good and revel in them, knowing that hard times or a major setback could be right around the corner.

Our players are beyond their years in many ways, but when your 74 they're still just kids. Maybe I'm a little "soft" because I got so much criticism from my Dad when I played. Maybe our kids are tough and can handle all the criticism that can be dished out, but even if they can providing some positive reinforcement always helps. I sure could have used some and I'm betting they could too.

This may not be entirely fair, but just maybe posters should ask themselves this before posting a strong iindividual player criticism; would I say it to his face in the same words I used to post it?
Just Sayin'

former1dog
03-20-2017, 12:40 PM
More finger wagging.

And you pay for those scholarships, personally? If you donate a couple of bucks, thanks, but you're still not owed anything. I'm sure you get a nice write off if you do.

Is it to much to ask that on a message board dedicated to and populated by Gonzaga Universtiy Basketball fans that we actually enjoy a victory and awesome success?

No one asked you to read the thread or to post in response, so if you're feeling finger wagged, its your own damn fault for having such a ####ty attitude.

Please move aside, you're shading my sunshine.

former1dog
03-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Right On! I'm beginning to think that it's our older posters that are more likely to have this more positive mindset, having gone through so many up's and down's in our lives that we know when times are good and revel in them, knowing that hard times or a major setback could be right around the corner.

Our players are beyond their years in many ways, but when your 74 they're still just kids. Maybe I'm a little "soft" because I got so much criticism from my Dad when I played. Maybe our kids are tough and can handle criticism, but even if they can providing some positive reinforcement always helps. I sure could have used some and I'm betting they could too.

I was a student at Gonzaga when our basketball team had an 8 win, 20 loss season. It wasn't THAT long ago.

These ARE the good old days.

If you want to be objective and analyze things, that's fine. BUT remember the most important statistic from Saturday... The WON the game!!

MickMick
03-20-2017, 12:47 PM
In the hierarchy of tugging at my heartstrings for the disadvantaged, college basketball players don't top the chart for me.

There will be angst. The question is what level of angst is tolerable and who decides what that level is?

Play on the court should be fair game. Personal stuff like race, religion, or sexual orientation, etc. should not.

former1dog
03-20-2017, 12:56 PM
In the hierarchy of tugging at my heartstrings for the disadvantaged, college basketball players don't top the chart for me.

IMO, your wires are crossed. I pointed out they were college kids, rather than professional athletes, to provide perspective not pull heartstrings. I think your posts in this thread indicate a lack of proper perspective based on the fairness of your expectations for these amateur athletes and your comments about the cost of scholarships (you do know the amount of revenue brought in vastly outstrips the cost of scholarships, correct). By the way, Coach Few reminds us they are playing a game.. A game! Victories should be celebrated.

There will be angst. The question is what level of angst is tolerable and who decides what that level is? The problem is when angst is the primary emotion following a hugely important victory

Play on the court should be fair game. Personal stuff like race, religion, or sexual orientation, etc. should not.

Sure, but they won. And, are favored to win again.

billyberu
03-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Especially the part about where they don't owe us anything.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hoopaholic
03-20-2017, 12:59 PM
alot on here are just like Jay Williams.....never good enough and when you have success how dare the kids celebrate and enjoy it

for me each game is a journey and I truly enjoy watching the young men work hard, work as a team, provide discipline, provide exceptional basketball togetherness

krozman
03-20-2017, 01:06 PM
You guys are so silly sometimes. If you want to be a homer that doesn't want to discuss the flaws of this team, however minor they may be, then why do you come to these boards? This is the ONE place in my opinion where generally like minded people can discuss these things. If you've ever had children you go to parent/teacher conferences where you discuss the great things your children do and the shortcomings you want to work on to make them more well rounded, overall better, kids. If all you want to hear are good things from their teachers and not want to hear the truth you are a bad parent. With kids there are always things to discuss and work on just like in basketball with these kids there is always room for criticism and improvement. A discussion without these points is NOT a discussion. It is blind and boring fandom that isn't true to life. I'm not saying we're parents to GU basketball, but the analogy applies.

Yet there are those of you that present yourself as fans who pretend that this place is supposed to be a sanctuary of kindness where only good things are said about kids who try hard. Every year this is brought up, and every year you have to be reminded that this is a place where we talk about shortcomings and successes alike, and there is plenty of room for both. If there's a thread devoted to a player's shortcomings, you need to recognize in yourself that the thread isn't for you because you're incapable of that kind of discussion. I realize that i'm incapable of going into the Foo and participating in that weirdness and you don't see me complaining about how I don't relate do you? Not trying to be mean, but stop with the idea that only kind and nice opinions are the correct ones on these boards.

Hoopaholic
03-20-2017, 01:09 PM
You guys are so silly sometimes. If you want to be a homer that doesn't want to discuss the flaws of this team, however minor they may be, then why do you come to these boards? This is the ONE place in my opinion where generally like minded people can discuss these things. If you've ever had children you go to parent/teacher conferences where you discuss the great things your children do and the shortcomings you want to work on to make them more well rounded, overall better, kids. If all you want to hear are good things from their teachers and not want to hear the truth you are a bad parent. With kids there are always things to discuss and work on just like in basketball with these kids there is always room for criticism and improvement. A discussion without these points is NOT a discussion. It is blind and boring fandom that isn't true to life. I'm not saying we're parents to GU basketball, but the analogy applies.

Yet there are those of you that present yourself as fans who pretend that this place is supposed to be a sanctuary of kindness where only good things are said about kids who try hard. Every year this is brought up, and every year you have to be reminded that this is a place where we talk about shortcomings and successes alike, and there is plenty of room for both. If there's a thread devoted to a player's shortcomings, you need to recognize in yourself that the thread isn't for you because you're incapable of that kind of discussion. I realize that i'm incapable of going into the Foo and participating in that weirdness and you don't see me complaining about how I don't relate do you? Not trying to be mean, but stop with the idea that only kind and nice opinions are the correct ones on these boards.

I am the first to want to have meaningful discussions even if an opinion or viewpoint is different

its the constant name calling, disparaging remarks, the same old line that is intentionally subliminal to attack players who are working hard and doing their best....those get old and tired really fast in my book

FuManShoes
03-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Have felt the same. Far be it for me to tell other fans how to feel but it's a great accomplishment to be back in the Sweet 16. We all know the Zags can play better, but they're not a trainwreck and you can bet Villanova, Duke and Louisville would rather be sitting where the Zags are with some question marks and derisive coverage, than be sitting at home. And maybe the Zags will pull it all together. Maybe they won't. I choose not to harp on everything that's gone wrong (#ShemComeHome! Shoot it Josh! And make your &%$# free throws) and instead will just enjoy the ride (including the Tillie and Z-Bo Show). Of course we all want a Final Four but seeing how tough the competition is, and how much ultimately rides on a bounce here or there, I refuse to throw the team or coaches under the bus if they don't match my or someone else's lofty expectations. You can bet this means more to them than it does to us.

billyberu
03-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Yawn

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Markburn1
03-20-2017, 01:43 PM
I'll probably get kicked in the teeth for this, but here goes.

I've been around basketball all my life at many different levels. I've played and coached and there are things about the college game that I learn almost daily. There are some on this board that understand the game better than others. If you are one of the people that visit this site that knows a fair amount about this game from a close in perspective, it's easy to pick out those that have limited knowledge about the intricacies of the game. The curious thing to me is that those that don't have that perspective are the ones that leave a constant barrage of negativity. Those that think they know more about the game than they really do are the worst offenders.

I enjoy the fans on here that are realistic about their depth of knowledge and are trying to learn more about the game. They are the ones enjoying the experience and have developed a bond with the program. It gives them great joy to watch their Zags win and they seem to understand the human aspect of the game and the University. I also enjoy the knowledgeable fans that understand the shortcomings of the team on a particular day or from season to season. Those people enjoy the nuances of the game and generally refrain from harsh criticism knowing how difficult the game is at the highest levels. Their critiques are designed to point out ways to improve without trashing players or coaches.

This team isn't perfect. There isn't one of those in this tournament. If you can't enjoy the fact that these guys are one of the last sixteen teams in the country still playing, I feel badly for you.

Duke got beaten. UNC nearly lost yesterday. Villanova is watching on TV. Oregon escaped by the skin of their teeth. Virginia got body slammed. Lousiville lost.....and the Zags are still standing.

Some of you think I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. Fine. I'll have some SUNSHINE AND LOLLIPOPS WITH THAT.

Hoopaholic
03-20-2017, 01:53 PM

I've been around basketball all my life at many different levels. I've played and coached and there are things about the college game that I learn almost daily. There are some on this board that understand the game better than others. If you are one of the people that visit this site that knows a fair amount about this game from a close in perspective, it's easy to pick out those that have limited knowledge about the intricacies of the game. The curious thing to me is that those that don't have that perspective are the ones that leave a constant barrage of negativity. Those that think they know more about the game than they really do are the worst offenders.

I enjoy the fans on here that are realistic about their depth of knowledge and are trying to learn more about the game. They are the ones enjoying the experience and have developed a bond with the program. It gives them great joy to watch their Zags win and they seem to understand the human aspect of the game and the University. I also enjoy the knowledgeable fans that understand the shortcomings of the team on a particular day or from season to season. Those people enjoy the nuances of the game and generally refrain from harsh criticism knowing how difficult the game is at the highest levels. Their critiques are designed to point out ways to improve without trashing players or coaches.

This team isn't perfect. There isn't one of those in this tournament. If you can't enjoy the fact that these guys are one of the last sixteen teams in the country still playing, I feel badly for you.

Duke got beaten. UNC nearly lost yesterday. Villanova is watching on TV. Oregon escaped by the skin of their teeth. Virginia got body slammed. Lousiville lost.....and the Zags are still standing.

Some of you think I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. Fine. I'll have some SUNSHINE AND LOLLIPOPS WITH THAT.

I will have a glass of kool aid with ya..........bring on thursday baby

MontanaCoyote
03-20-2017, 01:54 PM
I was a student at Gonzaga when our basketball team had an 8 win, 20 loss season. It wasn't THAT long ago.

If you want to be objective and analyze things, that's fine. BUT remember the most important statistic from Saturday... The WON the game!!

Sure didn't mean to date you. Just wanted to agree with you.

former1dog
03-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Sure didn't mean to date you. Just wanted to agree with you.

Its all good my friend. I picked up on that. You've got me by a couple of years, but I think we both love this program and appreciating that right now is the "good old days".

former1dog
03-20-2017, 01:57 PM

You are a steely eyed veteran and I appreciate your perspective and that you shared it!

coolhandzag
03-20-2017, 02:02 PM

I'm in with the Kool Aid.......w/ a little splash of Jim.

I'm amped up. The Zags are in whereas others who would do anything to be, are not.

Past success or failures are not reflective of the potential future......maybe they echo a little bit......not a certainty.

A Jesuit University with a undergrad population of what 6K can consistently compete on the biggest stage. Seriously?!

Rebound like your life you depends on it.
Fight on D each on every possession.
Execute your offense and everything with WV will work out one way or the other.

Zagger
03-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Sunshine, lolipops and ......
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/ZagKoolaidSmall.png
:) I love learning about BB and the team. I try to keep things in perspective and try to post thinking the whole team is watching what I strike on the keyboard. My score predictions are usually quite rosy - based upon how I feel the Zags will do if they're on their game to a player. It has been a bit hard to read some people's posts (and I'm sure some have a hard time with mine). I do feel we all have the team's well being in mind though and wouldn't be on this forum unless we did - we just have different ways to say/show it. I'll bet we'd all be the loudest section in the Kennel if we were sitting with one another. I'm a pretty hard set liberal yet have quite close conservative friends. Why, cuz apart from the labels we all have more in common than we do otherwise. We're just a bit different about how we go about things. Tolerance isn't easy but it sure makes the day go a lot better :)

Go Zags! Kick the raccoon & squirrel meat outta WV!

a13coach
03-20-2017, 02:36 PM
I was going to start a similar thread, but this one's good.

Mine was titled "It's all gravy from here'. The Zags started the season ranked somewhere in the teens, minus their two superstars from the season before, and with 5 new players in the 8 man rotation.

Most people I think predicted around a 4 loss regular season, and they far surpassed that. Expectations have risen with their success, but in the tourney they have already achieved what was expected of them before the season started. That's why it's all gravy from here, and I'll be overjoyed with each win, but not gonna ##### about a loss.

+1000

Enjoy the moment folks. It has been and continues to be a great ride.

Ezag
03-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Yes, this team has flaws and is not perfect. We do have ONE LOSS!

TheZagPhish
03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Cheers, f1! Thank you.

Reborn
03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
I was out walking this morning, celebrating the first day of Spring (even though it doesnt look or feel likeit) and a thought popped out from the deeper regions of my mind, "I wonder what it would be like if all of ZagNation could deeply believe that we're going to win on Thursday, and then say it?" I believe the Zags are going to win Thursday night!!! I felt the thought deeply, and I liked it. I thought to myself, "I think I will post that thought today when I find the right thread. Thanks Former1. Former1 and I used to really go at it in the "old days." Actually a lot of fans who post here and me used to go at it. It was crazy and I enjoyed it. Most didn't. Some also did. I came from a fairly large Catholic family, and my dad taught us to argue and we did all the time, mostly at dinner time. Most of us learned to like to argue and sometimes even fight. Fighting wasn't a crime in those days, and my dad even encouraged it. So when I argue it's almost always done in a spirit of enjoyment. hahahahahah Even though at times I disguise the joy with hostility just to bug people. I've gotten older, and I'm sure most recognize, a lot more boring. hahahahah You know I'm beginning to feel good again because I've written some pretty long posts lately. Just to make sure that you know I still am that little cantancurous kid at heart.

I'm all for disagreement and honesty, criticism and encouragements. It's never simple. Even though I would like it to be. We are all like snowflakes. God didn't make two of us who are the same. We are like our hands. We have five fingers in one hand and each is different with a different function. Each is an individual finger. But when I close my hand tightly and make a fist, the hand becomes united with one purpose. POWER, and usually when it's used correctly it's used to make a powerful blow to the enemy. So let's keep being different, and try respect each other, and when we fight we can apologize. Like kids just make up and go on to the next thing. We are all about one thing. Supporting the Zags, and in our way, try to help them win. I truly believe that everyone on this forum wants Gonzaga to win, even if they believe they won't. I hope that come Thursday, I hope that at least 51% of ZagNation believes we'll win. Is it a tough game? Can we lose? Yes. Will we lose? No!!! I want to be one of the 51% of those who believe we'll win.

I drank the Kool-Aid for many seasons. In fact I think that term was started way back then when people grew so tired of my positive attitude and belief that Gonzaga was an Elite program. Hoeever, I am not drinking the Kool-aid any more because it is a fact now. Gonzaga is an Elite program, and they really can beat WV because they are better. I am asking you to believe with me that we'll win Thursday. Let's come together for a night and put all the doubt and negative thinking aside, and just maybe we can become that 51% of believers.

Go Zags!!!

ZagMan in Philly
03-20-2017, 03:42 PM
I believe! Beat WVU!

CanadianZagsFan
03-20-2017, 03:52 PM

Good post. I feel A LOT of people come on here, and say people are : complaining, name calling, being bullies etc.
This message board is one of the most PG/"softest" I've ever been on in my LIFE. I don't see it being toxic at all.

I'm new here, but have lurked for 2-5 yrs now in some form or other.

I'm also not a millenial, but not 60 year old either who is affected by what they read on a fan message board. I think there is a huge cultural /age divide here when I read people telling others to take it easy on this team/debating matters.

Please do share links with me on matters where they were "over the top" and I'll happily read it.

maynard g krebs
03-20-2017, 04:05 PM
More finger wagging.

And how much money could these guys be making in Europe or elsewhere this year? Many times the value of a scholarship.

maynard g krebs
03-20-2017, 04:07 PM
I am the first to want to have meaningful discussions even if an opinion or viewpoint is different

its the constant name calling, disparaging remarks, the same old line that is intentionally subliminal to attack players who are working hard and doing their best....those get old and tired really fast in my book

THis.

maynard g krebs
03-20-2017, 04:08 PM

This too.

MontanaCoyote
03-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Its all good my friend. I picked up on that. You've got me by a couple of years, but I think we both love this program and appreciating that right now is the "good old days".

Got it, friend. I may be old, but I'm slow!

Reborn
03-20-2017, 04:27 PM
What arena in San Jose are the Zags playing at? What is it like? Will we have more fan support there? I'm thinking we will, and for sure hoping we will.

MTZag03
03-20-2017, 04:40 PM

This is right on. I remember being so pissy after Wyoming, Nevada, Texas Tech, UCLA, Davidson, etc. Then things started changing around Pangos and Ohio State. Now i feel that i actually appreciate the ride. I don't feel that i need validation from the team anymore. I've done a lot of growing up and I just appreciate the players, coach, and everything Gonzaga. I don't get bothered anymore and it's great.

Zagceo
03-20-2017, 04:44 PM
What arena in San Jose are the Zags playing at? What is it like? Will we have more fan support there? I'm thinking we will, and for sure hoping we will.

SAP Center and its the home of the San Jose Sharks......means ICE under the floor.

WVU fans complained about slippery floor in Buffalo regional.....also ICE under the floor.

Markburn1
03-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Shark tank. San Jose NHL team plays there. Oval configuration. Two decks. Should be good sight lines from everywhere.

I'll be there. Maybe be loud enough by myself. Ha!!!

Birddog
03-20-2017, 04:54 PM
I had a dream last night so I drew it in MS Paint

http://img04.deviantart.net/8a5f/i/2007/246/d/2/sunshine_lollipops__rainbows_by_coolpichu21.jpg

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-20-2017, 05:31 PM
The Zags are going to win this...I believe.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4pJ9QKFH3Lfi3BXZE-B28GAob9A=/23x0:1001x512/fit-in/1200x630/cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7914323/zags_share.png

Zagsker
03-20-2017, 05:38 PM

Who woulda thunk an Internet chat room lacked civility

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-20-2017, 05:39 PM
I enjoy this.. gives me my faith back.

MileHigh
03-20-2017, 05:41 PM
More finger wagging.

Whatever the cost of the scholie, it pales in comparison to the revenue these kids generate for the school. Gonzaga Mens basketball brought in just about 13 million last year, divide that by 13 scholarships......Ill let you do the math

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-20-2017, 05:46 PM
This is the best team Gonzaga has ever assembled.

This is the best defensive team in college basketball.

They are 34-1.

This team is 6-0 against Top 25 teams.

Our point guard is one of the smartest and toughest players in the country and he is surrounded by great players at every position. He is an All-American for a reason.

Our senior captain is the winningest player in the history of Division I men's basketball.

Mark Few is 8-1 against the BIG XII over his last nine contests with that league.

Mark Few beat Bob Huggins by twenty in their last tournament matchup with two freshmen in the Zags' starting back court.

There has NEVER been a Gonzaga team whose top eight players were all good defenders and credible offensive threats. Killian Tillie is the EIGHTH man on this team! We are bringing two future NBA players off of the bench.

This team will not lose to West Virginia.

TheZagPhish
03-20-2017, 06:09 PM

http://img04.deviantart.net/8a5f/i/2007/246/d/2/sunshine_lollipops__rainbows_by_coolpichu21.jpg

This is glorious.

former1dog
03-20-2017, 06:18 PM

Pure genius!

😂

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-20-2017, 06:33 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_bsilarge/12540498.jpeg

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/gonz-m-baskbl-body.html

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/03/18/SRX_GU_VS_NORTHWESTERN_4_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a 1f7041162086f31df6a374511

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/18/dont-blame-gonzaga-for-cashing-in-when-good-fortun/

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-20-2017, 06:50 PM
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/53763401/usa_today_9953862.0.jpg

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/3/19/14973722/2017-ncaa-tournament-10-observations-from-the-gonzaga-northwestern-game

ProVeeZag
03-20-2017, 06:51 PM

It has a roof, lots of seats, and a court on it. All else is irrelevant. Zags will come to ball on Thursday!

ProVeeZag
03-20-2017, 06:53 PM
I just hope I haven't been too negative so as to jeopardize my Participation Certificate this year.

Zags will come a'ballin' on Thursday!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-20-2017, 06:55 PM
http://www.krem.com/img/resize/content.krem.com/photo/2017/01/25/USATSI_9829732_1485397028181_7926926_ver1.0.jpg?pr eset=534-401

http://www.krem.com/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/the-senior-season-karnowski-deserved/409749609

Hoopaholic
03-20-2017, 07:29 PM
http://www.krem.com/img/resize/content.krem.com/photo/2017/01/25/USATSI_9829732_1485397028181_7926926_ver1.0.jpg?pr eset=534-401

http://www.krem.com/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/the-senior-season-karnowski-deserved/409749609

What the heck is he doing?

75Zag
03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
What the heck is he doing?

Some sort of Polish medical exam I think.

I get the whole Rainbow Bright theme of this thread, but for those of us who struggled through all those boring endless logic and philosophy classes at GU, it seems somewhat ironic and/or inconsistent that each Fall the usual posters pile onto each other in predicting a GU Final Four (or better), whereas each Spring many of the same posters pile onto each other in proclaiming that a Sweet 16 is good enough and we should all braid each other's hair and sing around the campfire and be satisfied with this result.

I didn't get the highest grade in Professor Primavera's Logic 101 class, but these positions seem somewhat inconsistent. If every person and organization sets out to be #1 but decides every year that getting 40% of the way to #1 is "good enough", I am not sure what would happen to our country but I suspect it would not be good.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

gmo
03-20-2017, 07:41 PM
This team according to Vegas is the THIRD best bet to win the National Championship!

Kansas
North Carolina
Gonzaga
Arizona
UCLA

Ridiculous company, clearly... if you would have told me that was the case way back when I attended I never would have believed it.

This weekend I bought a plane ticket to Phoenix. This is the first time in my life, following many teams, that I have ever done that. We got this.

GO ZAGS! (enjoying every minute of this, however long it lasts).

gmo

ZagLawGrad
03-20-2017, 09:07 PM
75Zag. My fav poster. Keep up the good work.

zagdontzig
03-20-2017, 11:25 PM

An article I wrote following our last Elite 8, speaks exactly to this point.

http://zagaholic.blogspot.com/2015/04/pangos-bell-2014-15-zags-forever-elite.html

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-21-2017, 01:10 AM
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/YdRNwyOtaHLU34ClulL5-OE-Ptk=/0x0:448x284/1200x0/filters:focal(0x0:448x284):no_upscale()/cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3549838/shimmyman.0.gif

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-21-2017, 01:16 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/811917565232640000/pu/img/dLlWnKEXUoymp8nh.jpg:medium

Coach Huggins will find a lump of coal in his Sweet Sixteen stocking.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-21-2017, 02:40 AM
An article I wrote following our last Elite 8, speaks exactly to this point.

http://zagaholic.blogspot.com/2015/04/pangos-bell-2014-15-zags-forever-elite.html

I took the bait and read your article. You had me 'til the Patrick Ewing example of a player who lost his last NCAA game. Ewing's Hoyas made it to the championship game of the NCAA tourney 3 out of his 4 years. Lost to Carolina and a kid named Michael Jordan (and James Worthy, Sam Perkins) his freshman year in '82; beat Houston (and Olajuwon) to win the NCAA championship game his junior year in '84; lost to Villanova his senior year '85.

I agree with your basic point that ZagNation gets spoiled and we need to appreciate how great this program is doing each season. Just don't get how angst about not yet making a Final Four equates in any way to players like Ewing.

gueastcoast
03-21-2017, 06:02 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/811917565232640000/pu/img/dLlWnKEXUoymp8nh.jpg:medium

Coach Huggins will find a lump of coal in his Sweet Sixteen stocking.

Santa Shem represents all awesome things Zag.

GO BULLDOGS!

zagdontzig
03-21-2017, 01:19 PM
I took the bait and read your article. You had me 'til the Patrick Ewing example of a player who lost his last NCAA game. Ewing's Hoyas made it to the championship game of the NCAA tourney 3 out of his 4 years. Lost to Carolina and a kid named Michael Jordan (and James Worthy, Sam Perkins) his freshman year in '82; beat Houston (and Olajuwon) to win the NCAA championship game his junior year in '84; lost to Villanova his senior year '85.

I agree with your basic point that ZagNation gets spoiled and we need to appreciate how great this program is doing each season. Just don't get how angst about not yet making a Final Four equates in any way to players like Ewing.

My point with the other examples was that our greatest college basketball heroes, Ewing included, more likely than not end their careers on a loss, but that shouldn't detract from their successes. Point taken though. And this thread isn't about that article… so on we go.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-21-2017, 02:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CA1fXFNU8AAeJAT.jpg

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-21-2017, 02:23 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/0a8bd2ab811325aea4d0c27286dbc645/tumblr_inline_mhomd20yQ71qz4rgp.gif

bigblahla
03-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Zag-aid is my favorite drink...24/7 365.....love the game.... this season has played out like I expected and it has been an amazing ride....thought this was the most complete TEAM in D1 since Dec....doesn't mean they can't be beat, BYU loss, but they should be in every game....a group of special players who have become a special TEAM....

Go!! Zags!!!

zagmantis2001
03-21-2017, 03:49 PM

I was there at the same time. We are really spoiled.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Some people rely on facts and logic. I do sometimes. However, sometimes I just have a feeling about something. I just have this feeling the zags are going to win it all. Woke up this morning very confident of that fact. Don't know why, but I believe it just as sure as I'm alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagger
03-22-2017, 03:20 AM
http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Mathews3Medium.png
Mathews has sure put the medal to the metal the last few games.
WV had better be able to guard him and press too!

Zagger
03-22-2017, 03:26 AM
Three more threats from 3!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Nigel3Medium.png http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Perkins3Medium.png http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Melson3Medium.png

Zagger
03-22-2017, 03:36 AM
It would be sooooooo sweeeeeet if this kid got in a 3 during the NCAAs!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Triano3s.jpg

Reborn
03-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Some people rely on facts and logic. I do sometimes. However, sometimes I just have a feeling about something. I just have this feeling the zags are going to win it all. Woke up this morning very confident of that fact. Don't know why, but I believe it just as sure as I'm alive.

This is a great post to wake up to. Thanks!!!

Reborn
03-22-2017, 07:04 AM
http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Mathews3Medium.png
Mathews has sure put the medal to the metal the last few games.
WV had better be able to guard him and press too!

Mathews has really been playing hot lately, and at the right time. You can see he loves playing in this tournament. I think he's going to get even hotter. From the very first game in the tournament he's been in attack mode, and shines with confidence. I hope his confidence rubs off on the other guards.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
03-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Three more threats from 3!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Nigel3Medium.png http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Perkins3Medium.png http://www.sbaran.net/zags/Melson3Medium.png

It's time for these three guys to begin showing the world that we are GUARD U!!!
Play like you know how to play, and shoot like you know how to shoot. All of you know that you are Ninja shooters. Go do it!!!

Go Zags!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Let's share some Karnowski highlights from his last trip to the Sweet Sixteen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMBM7u8LYl8

The passes to Sabonis between 2:50 and 3:25 are gorgeous.

LongIslandZagFan
03-22-2017, 01:16 PM
I'm a little late to the party... Should the Zags not win Thursday or Saturday... I assure you there will be people here who will be calling for players to transfer out... yada... yada... yada... You see it on the game threads. I am OK with analysis... even some of the critique... but the need to have a fit over a kid between the ages of 18-23 not playing to your personal expectations just makes you look silly.

Guess I am finger wagging... I'll stop now...

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/36001409.jpg

Reborn
03-22-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm a little late to the party... Should the Zags not win Thursday or Saturday... I assure you there will be people here who will be calling for players to transfer out... yada... yada... yada... You see it on the game threads. I am OK with analysis... even some of the critique... but the need to have a fit over a kid between the ages of 18-23 not playing to your personal expectations just makes you look silly.

Guess I am finger wagging... I'll stop now...

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/36001409.jpg

I thought this was a sunshine and lollipops thread. Why bring a dark cloud of negativity on this thread. There are plenty others to spread your negativity with.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-22-2017, 06:30 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7TKnGFEtYj9Vyfvy/giphy.gif

former1dog
03-24-2017, 07:39 AM
They aren't always pretty, but our boys are in the Elite 8!!!!!

Sunshine and lollipops abound!

I like the symmetry of this trip to the Elite 8 also. In the previous trips, we faced a 1 seed and a 1 seed, both eventual champions.

Now they can exercise their demons against an 11 seed ( 1 and 1)!! Get it?

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 08:38 AM
They aren't always pretty, but our boys are in the Elite 8!!!!!

Sunshine and lollipops abound!

I like the symmetry of this trip to the Elite 8 also. In the previous trips, we faced a 1 seed and a 1 seed, both eventual champions.

Now they can exercise their demons against an 11 seed ( 1 and 1)!! Get it?

When it comes to deep thoughts, I defer to you.

former1dog
03-24-2017, 08:42 AM
When it comes to deep thoughts, I defer to you.

LOL

maynard g krebs
03-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Now they can exercise their demons

My demons enjoy a good cardio workout. It gives them more stamina when terrorizing their victims. Last thing you want is an out-of-breath demon.

LongIslandZagFan
03-24-2017, 11:51 AM
http://cdn.meme.li/i/imtu8.jpg

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-25-2017, 05:51 AM
http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/03/23/SRX_GU_VS_WEST_VIRGINIA_4_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22 a1f7041162086f31df6a374511

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/23/gonzaga-surives-a-nail-biter-to-beat-west-virgina-/

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-25-2017, 05:53 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sjm-westone-0324-022.jpg?w=620

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/23/gonzaga-survives-west-virginia-advances-to-elite-eight/

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-25-2017, 05:55 AM
https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/gettyimages-657071814.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&strip=all

http://q13fox.com/2017/03/23/top-seeded-gonzaga-survives-for-61-58-win-over-west-virginia-advances-to-elite-eight/

Reborn
03-25-2017, 07:00 AM
Great pictures. thanks.

Another day for sunshine and lollipops. I must stop and buy one today.

Go Zags!!!

gmo
03-25-2017, 07:20 AM
This team according to Vegas is the SECOND best bet to win the National Championship!

Kansas
Gonzaga
North Carolina
Kentucky
Florida

Ridiculous company, clearly... if you would have told me that was the case way back when I attended I never would have believed it.

Last weekend I bought a plane ticket to Phoenix. This is the first time in my life, following many teams, that I have ever done that. We got this.

gmo

DixieZag
03-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Being the nice fans we are, I think we should send some lollipops home with Xavier's coach:

http://www.bakerella.com/images/2016/04/IMG_8467-mini.jpg

Enjoy your monkey, our friend.

gmo
03-26-2017, 05:46 PM
This team according to Vegas is the BEST bet to win the National Championship!

Gonzaga
North Carolina
Oregon
South Carolina

Last weekend I bought a plane ticket to Phoenix. This is the first time in my life, following many teams, that I have ever done that. We got this.

gmo

MickMick
03-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Still finger wagging I see.

Whip me with that wet noodle.

I can take it.

So can these young men.

Reborn
03-26-2017, 08:00 PM
This team according to Vegas is the SECOND best bet to win the National Championship!

Kansas
Gonzaga
North Carolina
Kentucky
Florida

gmo

Only two of those teams remain in the tournament,
Gonzaga and North Carolina.

DixieZag
03-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Sportscenter just listed the odds to win it all - guess who's the favorite?

Gonzaga at 7-5 (iirc)
UNC at 8-5
Oregon (can't recall)
So. Car at 8-1

Obviously the oddsmakers aren't as impressed with South Carolina as we [rightly] are. So, I wonder if part of us being the odds fav reflects their belief that the Zags are far more likely to make it through the semi-final - again, in their minds.

I have to believe that UNC would be favored in any one game, though maybe not. I hope we beat SC to find out.

kitzbuel
03-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Online odds: http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/futures/

gmo
03-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Only two of those teams remain in the tournament,
Gonzaga and North Carolina.

Yes, that post was before any games had been played this weekend. I've copied and pasted it three different times now... can you tell I'm superstitious?!

former1dog
03-27-2017, 08:21 AM
Love that this thread has kept traction!

The power of positive thinking, IMHO, is a valuable asset. Even if you sometimes have to conger some positivity, it helps.

Now, onto Phoenix where there is nothing but sunshine and they have lollipop fountains everywhere.

Zagger
03-27-2017, 09:20 AM
I absolutely love this segment of video! Protein!

http://youtu.be/AC6PkmDncGM?t=87

Full interview ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkF338kT1vc

Go Zags!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatSCsmall.png

Zagger
03-30-2017, 03:26 AM
Thought I'd revive this thread with a bit of a Koolaid thirst quencher before Saturday ...
http://herosports.com/ncaa-tournament/gonzaga-championship-final-four-prediction-a7a7
It has some great video clips :)

The end reads ....

Basically, there isn't one guy on this team capable of taking the last shot. There are eight.

There isn't one guy on this team capable of defending the last shot. There are eight.

Reborn
03-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Love that this thread has kept traction!

The power of positive thinking, IMHO, is a valuable asset. Even if you sometimes have to conger some positivity, it helps.

Now, onto Phoenix where there is nothing but sunshine and they have lollipop fountains everywhere.

I couldn't agree more. Positive energy goes a long way! I'm glad this thread is still alive and healthy too. Every once in a while I need a boost of ++ energy too, and I come here to this thread to get it.

Go Zags!!!

former1dog
03-30-2017, 09:26 AM
I couldn't agree more. Positive energy goes a long way! I'm glad this thread is still alive and healthy too. Every once in a while I need a boost of ++ energy too, and I come here to this thread to get it.

Go Zags!!!

Good to hear Reborn...

Also, I wish I knew how to spell conjure correctly. ;)

Reborn
03-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Good to hear Reborn...

Also, I wish I knew how to spell conjure correctly. ;)

I just looked it up in Webster's Dictionary and you spelled it correctly.

Lots of sunshine here today. However, also lots of wind which I don't like. It's been a bit of a strange day because I'm so used to having a game on Thursday, but I'm doing well. Feeling quite calm, and have really good/[positive energy floating around inside my mind.

former1dog
03-30-2017, 02:58 PM
I just looked it up in Webster's Dictionary and you spelled it correctly.

Lots of sunshine here today. However, also lots of wind which I don't like. It's been a bit of a strange day because I'm so used to having a game on Thursday, but I'm doing well. Feeling quite calm, and have really good/[positive energy floating around inside my mind.

Sounds like your health is improving? Glad of it.

Hope you'll be with friends and family to watch the game on Saturday.

Reborn
03-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Sounds like your health is improving? Glad of it.

Hope you'll be with friends and family to watch the game on Saturday.

My arm is slowly healing and getting better. It's amazing how slow it is. I'm in Physical Therapy now and it's helping. Unfortunately, I still can't do much above shoulder level. So I can finally type with ten fingers again. That's great. But I still can not throw a tennis ball up in the air so I can serve. I really enjoy playing tennis now and have for about a decade now. Can't play too well without a serve; so I'm getting a little anxious as the weather is slowly getting better.

I'll be watching the game with my two sons and a couple of grandkids. It'll be a blast. As you can imagine we are crazy fans. We have our methods of jinxing the players on the other team. We have our cheers. And we BELIEVE WE HAVE what it takes to help the Zags win. I wish I could have videoed our craziness after the final buzzer went off last Saturday.

Go Zags!!!

Zagdawg
03-30-2017, 05:09 PM
The Gonzaga Bulletin‏ @GonzagaBulletin 7m7 minutes ago
"Due to expected celebrations this weekend, more RAs, Campus Security and Spokane police will be on duty." More here: http://bit.ly/2oeKzs4

Reborn
03-31-2017, 06:48 AM
It's Friday, and it's sunny out. I'm going outside soon to take a walk in this beautiful day. There's nothing like sunny days and blue skys, especially after the long winter we had. I think I'll drop by Rite Aid and get a lolly pop to suck on. Nothing like walking in the sunshine and sucking a lolly pop. Am I dreaming? Are we really in the Final Four?

Go Zags!!!

gmo
03-31-2017, 07:07 AM
Good call Reborn. It is beautiful and sunny down here in CA as well and I think i'll pick up a lollipop for the drive to Glendale this afternoon.

Mantua
03-31-2017, 11:47 AM
This is the best time ever for Zag fans! Why not enjoy it? I'm sure that most of us have always been aware that our team and no team is without imperfections. Sometimes we all feel the need to relieve our angst and frustration by trying to figure out the corrections that need to made. I'm not in the mood for anything but riding along for the fun right now. We have a rare opportunity to savor these days of sunshine and lollipops. I'm grateful for being able to feel, as an ardent fan, a tiny part of Gonzaga's miraculous 20 years of success.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-01-2017, 06:42 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/130mu9/picture140821098/ALTERNATES/LANDSCAPE_1140/NCAA%20Xavier%20Gonzaga%20Basketball.JPG

Source - http://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/article140804153.html

ScrapironJim
04-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE VERY, VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

krozman
04-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Sorry, but after the next game we're guaranteed to lose (seniors, that is).

MickMick
04-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Bunch of needless whimpering.

Point me to a negative post.

Zagger
04-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Except when thinking negatively I believe in the power of positive thought :)
I've always liked political cartoons. How they can mock, shock, poke fun, say something with 1000 words, etc. Since I can't really draw very well I scour online clip art for images I can modify with Photoshop or PowerPoint - or both. So, thanks to whoever the original artists are! Here's another 'Zags kick butt' contrivance. I sure hope the game today fits the image! Go Zags! We know you'll be putting up your best efforts! Thanks so so SO much Przemek, Rem & Jordan! May you get to play today Rem! Make UNC cry "UNCle!"
http://www.sbaran.net/zags/UNCleSmall.png

former1dog
04-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Its a wonderful time to be a Gonzaga University Bulldogs Basketball fan!

Even if we have some "unexpected" student athlete departures in the coming off season, the cupboard is very full and we all have the privilege of a top 20 (at least) team coming back this fall to entertain us.

Of course, as in every other season we will mourn the lost opportunity of losing our last game, but the joy we were served up this season was unprecedented and I'll never forget it.

Coach Martin made note that just because someone keeps score, doesn't mean that the losers aren't champions also. I don't mean that in a new agey, participation trophy way. I mean our team had the hearts of champions and deserve all the love we can send there way.

Sunshine and lollipops my friends, sunshine and lollipops!

God Bless

GoZags
04-04-2017, 07:58 AM

Even if we have some "unexpected" student athlete departures in the coming off season, the cupboard is very full and we all have the privilege of a top 20 (at least) team coming back this fall to entertain us.

Of course, as in every other season we will mourn the lost opportunity of losing our last game, but the joy we were served up this season was unprecedented and I'll never forget it.

Coach Martin made note that just because someone keeps score, doesn't mean that the losers aren't champions also. I don't mean that in a new agey, participation trophy way. I mean our team had the hearts of champions and deserve all the love we can send there way.

God Bless

It's GREAT to be a Zag ........ and Zag fan

Reborn
04-04-2017, 05:25 PM
This is a season, and a team, I'll never forget, and my memories will be so awesome. I'll remember it as the season of sunshine and lollipops.

Tar Heel Jumpmaster
04-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Your board/fans/coach/team have a great perspective. These things take time. It takes a collective grind across multiple teams, all capable of winning a title yet falling short. Dean Smith couldn't take home the trophy after multiple attempts. It took Roy a while to get there. You have to believe that Coach Few will get it done and it really couldn't happen for a better program. Injuries, unfortunate performances, etc.. it's tough. It is what makes it so satisfying to finally get to the top of the mountain. I'll be cheering when you get there. I feel fortunate it wasn't this year, because it was my Heels facing off against you.

Reborn
04-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Your board/fans/coach/team have a great perspective. These things take time. It takes a collective grind across multiple teams, all capable of winning a title yet falling short. Dean Smith couldn't take home the trophy after multiple attempts. It took Roy a while to get there. You have to believe that Coach Few will get it done and it really couldn't happen for a better program. Injuries, unfortunate performances, etc.. it's tough. It is what makes it so satisfying to finally get to the top of the mountain. I'll be cheering when you get there. I feel fortunate it wasn't this year, because it was my Heels facing off against you.

Thanks for a very thoughtful post, and we appreciate your encouragement and support.

hockeyzag
04-05-2017, 10:02 AM

God Bless

Fantastic post.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are the luckiest fans around.

Sunshine and lollipops!