PDA

View Full Version : Does the team use a sports psychologist?

scrooner
03-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Sorry if this doesn't deserve its own thread....I wasn't sure where to put it.

Seems to me that we've got a psych issue dating back to the BYU game. That mid-Feb team would crush this version, IMO. Do they meet with a sports psychologist regularly, for visualization & positive reinforcement & such?

Zagceo
03-20-2017, 10:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPXHGYiSnyQ

another
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/17555/renowned-psychologist-impressed-with-seahawks-culture-of-grit

gozagswoohoo
03-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Worked for these guys. I say we DO IT! What could it hurt??

http://i.imgur.com/dRdKBec.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xUEWvSz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GsAHUur.jpg

Goshzagit
03-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Great point, actually.

I have heard of numerous teams & programs using such a resource...doesnt seem very Few-like, but certainly couldnt hurt.

I agree this has been 99% mental with a few select players.

I also believe January/February Zags would beat thos version by 15-20.

Our guards would be knocking down open shots, & our bigs would move the ball & get put backs. It'd be a great defensive battle but this is a different team, no doubt.

Although, I prefer the present version of Collins much more.

Hope Zags 'return to form' on Thursday, or its goodbye & goodnight.

RenoZag
03-20-2017, 05:32 PM
This guy probably needs a sports psychologist. . .

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7PKBqJUwAAWII1.jpg

Not sure the Zags do

bartruff1
03-20-2017, 05:46 PM
There aren't any available, they are treating Nova and Duke...

FuManShoes
03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-aCYVVtyo

sittingon50
03-20-2017, 08:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-aCYVVtyo

A classic!

ZagNation
03-20-2017, 09:03 PM
They would definitely need one if they read GU Boards.

MDABE80
03-20-2017, 09:09 PM
No fixing anything this time of the year. None. We win or lose with what we have. I hate saying it but what's ailing this team is not going to be cured with 1 week to go in the season. WVU is a tough pressure opponent. We need tough, controlled guards who can take that pressure on national TV. If our weak spots come alive but if not, we are what we are for the rest of the season.

CdAZagFan
03-20-2017, 09:45 PM
There aren't any available, they are treating Nova and Duke...

Perfect!

229SintoZag
03-20-2017, 09:55 PM
No fixing anything this time of the year. None. We win or lose with what we have. I hate saying it but what's ailing this team is not going to be cured with 1 week to go in the season. WVU is a tough pressure opponent. We need tough, controlled guards who can take that pressure on national TV. If our weak spots come alive but if not, we are what we are for the rest of the season.

Good point. Please email the staff and tell them to cancel practices; and to not bother with reviewing any film or with running some plays to break the press as well.

We win or lose with what we have folks. Simple as that. No fixing anything.

MDABE80
03-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Good point. Please email the staff and tell them to cancel practices; and to not bother with reviewing any film or with running some plays to break the press as well.

We win or lose with what we have folks. Simple as that. No fixing anything.

The post was about psych work not giving up the usual and customary training for the next game. I think you know that.

Zagceo
03-20-2017, 10:20 PM
When missed free throws cost games and games are worth what ....last I heard $1.8 million a win....teaching young players how focus and clear their thoughts under pressure situations might not be such a bad idea.

Those making jokes....seem to be confusing Psychology with Psychiatry ......any questions just ask Nigel

ProVeeZag
03-20-2017, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPXHGYiSnyQ

another
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/17555/renowned-psychologist-impressed-with-seahawks-culture-of-grit

Per Gervais video: "...manage the dialogue...or self-talk". It's one thing to hear this, quite another to be able to do it effectively. This is shorthand for "mental toughness". It's in large part what makes NWG so successful.

MDABE80
03-21-2017, 12:39 AM
It's called YIPS syndrome. Steve Sax, Blass, Knoblauch are examples. Takes time and a lot of work to rid yourself of it. It's about people who've done things the same way with success. For some reason ( nobody's nailed it yet) what comes naturally and have been done for years successfully just doesn't work anymore. Takes years to relearn your former traits. And it's rare thst people regain their former stroke. Golfers get it. SOmetimes thy resove it with psych work and changing something in their game. WHen Chuck Knoblauch ( an all star 2nd baseman) couldn't find his throw from 2nd to first, he struggle for years but was moved to the outfield.
I do not know if our troubed soul has it but it's something ongterm that surfaces with some form of stress. Let's hope our guy gets better. Never seen a report where it's cured overnight. Like I said above, we are what we are. Make the best of it. Support helps. Nobody's fault. It just happens.

scrooner
03-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Wow, I'm surprised at some of the dismissive comments here -- I hope our coaching staff is open-minded enough to try new things that have been found to be effective. This article suggests that many NBA teams use sports psychology to help their players:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-psychology-20151227-story.html

bartruff1
03-21-2017, 06:39 AM
If a sports psychologist worked on any level you can be sure that every coach in America would know about it and would take advantage of it...

my own experience of having worked on ad hoc and incident teams under great pressure to perform a very difficult task in a short amount of time with high visibility .....is that they have very little value for a short period of time...

People are what they are and quickly revert to their lifelong patterns ...change is difficult and takes time, for example it takes months to change a simple habit...

After I retired, I caddied on the LPGA/PGA Tour and many of those players used beta blockers to steady their nerves and sleeping aids of some kind to get rest....and some of them used sports psychologist with little or no success.... there is no silver bullet to higher performance...IMHO of course.

cjm720
03-21-2017, 06:51 AM
Wow, I'm surprised at some of the dismissive comments here -- I hope our coaching staff is open-minded enough to try new things that have been found to be effective. This article suggests that many NBA teams use sports psychology to help their players:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-psychology-20151227-story.html

Tommy said they have used one in the past-his comments st the alumni dinner a couple years back were in relation to a question on Shem's free throws.

Zagcity
03-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Dr. Kevin Elko has consulted with various successful NFL teams including The Pittsburgh Steelers, The Dallas Cowboys, The Philadelphia Eagles, The Miami Dolphins and The New Orleans Saints. In college sports, Dr. Elko has worked with seven BCS National Championship Football Teams including The University of Miami, L.S.U., The University of Alabama and most recently, the reigning BCS National Champion Florida State University.

I first met him when he was working with Nick Saban at Alabama and found him to be very uplifting.

CDC84
03-21-2017, 08:29 AM
At this time of year, you have to dance with the shoes you have been given. You really can't make massive changes. That's what the offseason is for. You can make minor tweaks...maybe break out a zone you had been working on for a special occasion.

I do feel that Few, his staff and the players need to undergo some soul searching about why they have too many issues with holding on to big leads in the 20 point range. It has been an issue in several NCAA tournament and big regular season games. Maybe that's where this much acclaimed sports psychologist comes into the picture??

229SintoZag
03-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Dr. Kevin Elko has consulted with various successful NFL teams including The Pittsburgh Steelers, The Dallas Cowboys, The Philadelphia Eagles, The Miami Dolphins and The New Orleans Saints. In college sports, Dr. Elko has worked with seven BCS National Championship Football Teams including The University of Miami, L.S.U., The University of Alabama and most recently, the reigning BCS National Champion Florida State University.

I first met him when he was working with Nick Saban at Alabama and found him to be very uplifting.

Ummm....there is no more BCS champion. There is a national champion from the college football playoff. And that champion is Clemson, not Florida State. Just sayin'....

MDABE80
03-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Overall and as an ongoing support for the team it's a good idea. This level of competition is bound to generate stress. Psych support helps.

PeninsulaDog
03-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Strictly speaking, the 2013 Florida State team is the reigning BCS champion, having won the last BCS Championship game in 2014, and will be so in perpetuity unless the BCS series is revived. I know, I know -- they are not the reigning college football champions.

Birddog
03-21-2017, 09:55 AM
I'd recommend Kate Upton, I find her very uplifting and inspirational.

Zag79
03-21-2017, 11:15 AM
A team takes on the personality of its coach, as good as Mark is, he is the reason his teams blow big leads and play tight. Players come and go, yet blowouts being lost in the biggest of games remains. It's about his coaching style, process, philosohy, and personality. I've always said for Gonzaga to hit a Final 4, Few himself would have to be better at changing his plans in game when they aren't working, and stay loose for his players down the stretch of key games. We've seen much more of that side of coach the last few years (no pun intended), and this team will play as relaxed as their coach is all things considered going forward.

Zagceo
03-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Our Point guard working on his Masters in Psychology might be one reason this team has a different vibe. Having runs and stopping runs are part of basketball.....the perception of blowing leads this years needs an asterisk ......we've only done it once where we have lost.

Zagcity
03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Ummm....there is no more BCS champion. There is a national champion from the college football playoff. And that champion is Clemson, not Florida State. Just sayin'....

Yup, just copied and pasted an old post of mine.

Zagceo
03-21-2017, 11:46 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_player/12540441.jpeg

vandalzag
03-21-2017, 11:52 AM
A team takes on the personality of its coach, as good as Mark is, he is the reason his teams blow big leads and play tight. Players come and go, yet blowouts being lost in the biggest of games remains. It's about his coaching style, process, philosohy, and personality. I've always said for Gonzaga to hit a Final 4, Few himself would have to be better at changing his plans in game when they aren't working, and stay loose for his players down the stretch of key games. We've seen much more of that side of coach the last few years (no pun intended), and this team will play as relaxed as their coach is all things considered going forward.

Just how exactly does a coach tense up? You keep banging this drum and I just do not understand. Does he stop speaking during time outs and just stare into the abyss searching for answers? Does he start yelling at players for and insulting their heritage? Does he make irrational decisions like deciding to play 3 on 5? How does a coach stay loose during games (maybe the old hot foot on Tommy Lloyd during a media time our or perhaps a spirited game of charades?)? I see the likes of Izzo and coach K they do not look very loose on the sidelines.
Not to say mistakes are not made by him, his staff, players, officials,etc... But your recurring theme that Few is the only reason leads are blown is at best silly. For the team to get to a final four they need to have the talent to get to the final 4. They need to have the match ups conducive to getting to the final four. They may need some luck or calls to go their way to get to a final four. And yest they will need coaching to get to the final four. Has there been years where GU has underachieved? Absolutely, but that can be said of many top teams.

Zagceo
03-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Pepperdine 3 years ago in Malibu......tight game Pangos had really poor night shooting.....I was courtside....Zags won 78-76

The next week a story was written highlighting the leadership qualities of Gary Bell....Coach Few added a couple comments which totally surprised me.

Mentioned how focussed Gary was with his head always in the game...then gave this example.

6sec left in game Wiltjer at the free throw line Zags up 77-75....Bell went over to the Bench and asked Few if they should foul if Kyle puts them up by 3 or 4.....Fews comment in the article .....Gary came up with that and I hadn't even thought of it.....I was surprised and will never forget that....Wiltjer made 1 of 2 and Gary fouled with a sec left and Pepp made 1 and game over.

In the moment last sec of tight game....kinda seemed like a deer in headlights moment to me ....could be wrong.

bartruff1
03-21-2017, 12:39 PM
After 3 consecutive Sweet Sixteens, it might be safe to assume that Gonzaga is one of the top twenty programs in the country....

It might also be safe to assume that they have coaches and players that are comparable to their 19 peers...

Now I am certainly no expert , nor do I watch much basketball other than Gonzaga and the teams it will play...

BUT every time I surf bye a highlight show, I see teams that have not only lost double digit leads, but have lost games that they have had big leads...

So here is my question, is there any data that suggests Gonzaga losses more double digit leads ....or has lost more games that they had double digit leads than their peers ???